2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby GT BoSox on Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:For those hoping we had a shot with Hayden Rettig, he just signed with LSU.

You mean he committed to LSU.

Yes, that it is what I meant. My bad.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Tue May 22, 2012 2:58 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:For those hoping we had a shot with Hayden Rettig, he just signed with LSU.

You mean he committed to LSU.

This is just great. Combined with Boyle recently getting offered by Florida it's nice to know we are onto plan D in May. Keep it goin :pickle / :spaz2

Best coach in 15 years
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Wed May 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Michigan scout board's version of Farrell thinks its down to Michigan and UVA for Maurice Hurst and that he could commit to UM soon. :titanic
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Wed May 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Commissiong to GT, a bad bad sign for BC.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Wed May 23, 2012 10:27 pm

The only thing worse than Spaz's coaching ability is his recruiting ability. This will be the worst recruiting class among the top 7 conferences.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu May 24, 2012 8:00 am

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Commissiong to GT, a bad bad sign for BC.

You can't expect him to close tough sells like one of the goddamned assistant coaches' sons.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu May 24, 2012 8:45 am

ATL has pointed this out but lost an OL from Everett, Matt Ryan's cousin, Chase Rettig's brother, Coach Commish's cousin, and Bosa's son. Any one of these is excusable in a vacuum, but together they're a disaster. The worst part is I think Gene is the only person surprised by how hard it is to recruit with a 66 year old coach who has gotten worse every year he's been an HC.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu May 24, 2012 9:57 am

The worst part is that with even a competent HC this could've been a monster class.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu May 24, 2012 10:03 am

i think this thread should be untacked.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 am

Hopefully some of these kids can see that a new HC/AD are on the horizon and commit despite the current mess that :pickle has created.

I realize that's like saying, hopefully these kids commit with academics in mind, but it's really the only hope at this point. Can't wait to see the offers that go out when Hurst picks Michigan, thus eliminating us from McDonald, Montgomery, and the outside shot of flipping Montellus. It was a solid recruiting plan though, pinning the whole class on an 18 year old, just par for the course I guess.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu May 24, 2012 11:37 am

31southst {l Wrote}:ATL has pointed this out but lost an OL from Everett, Matt Ryan's cousin, Chase Rettig's brother, Coach Commish's cousin, and Bosa's son. Any one of these is excusable in a vacuum, but together they're a disaster. The worst part is I think Gene is the only person surprised by how hard it is to recruit with a 66 year old coach who has gotten worse every year he's been an HC.

Good thing that BC gave Commish a raise to keep him from Rutgers. Couldn't even sell his cousin.

None of this matters... the only thing more depressing than our football program is watching the implosion of our football conference (knowing how much more impossible it will be to become relevant again).

BTW... I think GDF was oblivious to how bad the decision was to hire and retain Spaz. I think he only realized the situation after the staffers left, the class fell apart and he had trouble hiring replacements.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu May 24, 2012 11:42 am

BC is only going to get 3 basic types of kids until Spaz and Gene leave:

1. Kids who fall in love with the school itself and pick it completely independently of football, or at least in hopes that Spaz will be gone soon and things will get better (think St. X guys)

2. Local kids who want to stay at home no matter what

3. Kids with no decent offers

Basically, we have to blindly hope that each class contains as many quality players as possible who fall into categories 1 and 2, and that as many of the #3s as possible turn out to be diamonds in the rough (although with each one who does we'll have to endure the merrymen crowing about how anyone who has offers from other BCS schools is a primadonna thug and every 2* kid is 100% guaranteed to be the next Jamie Silva).

And yes, I'm well aware just how pathetic it is that we're rightfully involving our AD in a discussion of our future recruiting outlook.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu May 24, 2012 12:35 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:BC is only going to get 3 basic types of kids until Spaz and Gene leave:

1. Kids who fall in love with the school itself and pick it completely independently of football, or at least in hopes that Spaz will be gone soon and things will get better (think St. X guys)

Basically, we have to blindly hope that each class contains as many quality players as possible who fall into categories 1 and 2, and that as many of the #3s as possible turn out to be diamonds in the rough (although with each one who does we'll have to endure the merrymen crowing about how anyone who has offers from other BCS schools is a primadonna thug and every 2* kid is 100% guaranteed to be the next Jamie Silva).

And yes, I'm well aware just how pathetic it is that we're rightfully involving our AD in a discussion of our future recruiting outlook.

I actually think this is optimistic. I agree with 2 and 3 but I think we're going to lose #1 types. BC is unique and maybe there are a few to which the Jesuit factor is non-negotiable, but otherwise I think these kids will end up at Stanford, ND, Northwestern, UVA, etc.

I think our best bet for non-FCS class is have our new hire (hopefully made by not Gene) be someone who can really sell and hope we flip some people come December through February.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu May 24, 2012 2:24 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

You can't expect him to close tough sells like one of the goddamned assistant coaches' sons.

I love how nobody, including the kid himself, know exactly how they are related.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I love how nobody, including the kid himself, know exactly how they are related.

Fair enough, but either way it's pathetic.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu May 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Okay so BC landed the best high school QB in the state of Massachusetts. Can anyone confirm or deny if this kid is good enough to play at the FBS level?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu May 24, 2012 3:53 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Was not meant as a dig; I have seen in his interviews call our DL coach his uncle then in other interviews, his cousin. Maybe he doesn't know that there is a difference :shrug
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu May 24, 2012 5:16 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Okay so BC landed the best high school QB in the state of Massachusetts. Can anyone confirm or deny if this kid is good enough to play at the FBS level?

The best QB in Mass is Troy Flutie. Don't think the kid we landed is good enough to play at the FBS level. But, he is likely the best recruit we'll land this year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Okay so BC landed the best high school QB in the state of Massachusetts. Can anyone confirm or deny if this kid is good enough to play at the FBS level?

Im not no football coach so I'm just looking at it from his youtube highlight tape, but it seems like he has the tools to be a solid FBS or maybe even BCS caliber. He is really athletic and has good speed for a QB plus he has good height at 6-4 205lb. Arm looks decent with a couple nice long throws. But the teams that he plays are not that good so its tough to judge. I definitely think we need another signal caller in this class and Tim Boyle should now be one of our top targets. Lowrie will get his shot most likely after a redshirt year to showcase his QB skills for after Rettig graduates. But if he doesnt make it over Suntrup or someone else he is athletic enough to switch positions and be contributor to this team.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu May 24, 2012 5:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

The best QB in Mass is Troy Flutie.

Well, that may or may not be true, but Troy doesn't graduate high school until 2014.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-11-03/news/30355745_1_darren-flutie-natick-high-dunlap

If he is as good as you say, I think there is 0% chance, BC doesn't recruit Troy for the 2014 class. Uncle Doug will not let him go anywhere else.

HJS {l Wrote}:Don't think the kid we landed is good enough to play at the FBS level. But, he is likely the best recruit we'll land this year.

Fair enough, thank you.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu May 24, 2012 6:12 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:

Im not no football coach so I'm just looking at it from his youtube highlight tape, but it seems like he has the tools to be a solid FBS or maybe even BCS caliber. He is really athletic and has good speed for a QB plus he has good height at 6-4 205lb. Arm looks decent with a couple nice long throws. But the teams that he plays are not that good so its tough to judge. I definitely think we need another signal caller in this class and Tim Boyle should now be one of our top targets. Lowrie will get his shot most likely after a redshirt year to showcase his QB skills for after Rettig graduates. But if he doesnt make it over Suntrup or someone else he is athletic enough to switch positions and be contributor to this team.

Thank you, I'll look at the youtube tonight.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu May 24, 2012 8:20 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Was not meant as a dig; I have seen in his interviews call our DL coach his uncle then in other interviews, his cousin. Maybe he doesn't know that there is a difference :shrug

The funniest part of the Commisiong thing, is that BC wasnt even in his top 4.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu May 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Holy shit

Either those teams all sucked, or the best high school QB in state of Massachusetts (that actually graduates a year from today) is awesome. 2 stars my ass.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu May 24, 2012 10:28 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Holy shit

Either those teams all sucked, or the best high school QB in state of Massachusetts (that actually graduates a year from today) is awesome. 2 stars my ass.

ITS THE ISL BABY. With that being said, I think that Lowrie proves to be a really good SECOND qb in this class (since one wasn't taken last year for whatever reason), much better than Bordner was in relation to Chase when the two were taken in the same class. The main catch is, of course, Spaz has to be able to land one of the guys high on his list (Boyle, Laviano, Dobbs are whats left I'd say), lets just say im not holding my breath
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu May 24, 2012 11:01 pm

He sucks, just floats the ball up there.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri May 25, 2012 1:14 am

The problem with those videos is that you don't see the interceptions/mistakes.

He does kind of just throw it up there... The defenses he plays look atrocious. BUT, that doesn't mean he can't surprise us.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri May 25, 2012 3:17 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:BC is only going to get 3 basic types of kids until Spaz and Gene leave:

I actually think this is optimistic. I agree with 2 and 3 but I think we're going to lose #1 types. BC is unique and maybe there are a few to which the Jesuit factor is non-negotiable, but otherwise I think these kids will end up at Stanford, ND, Northwestern, UVA, etc.

I think our best bet for non-FCS class is have our new hire (hopefully made by not Gene) be someone who can really sell and hope we flip some people come December through February.

To clarify with the 1st category I meant kids who fall in love with BC specifically, not simply "a school, preferably an urban private school, with BCS football and top 40 academics" and we usually do get a couple a year. I mean guys who come to the Heights (does Gene even know what the fuck The Heights is?? fucking asshole) and love it for whatever reason, whether it's the Jesuit influence, proximity to Boston, some :skank they bang on their recruiting trip, whatever. This is distinct from a kid who wants a school with a good mix of academics and football--in the past we got more than our fair share of these guys over Northwestern, Vandy, UVa, Stanford, but Spaz is losing them 9 times out of 10.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby garf112 on Fri May 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

He sucks, just floats the ball up there.

I disagree. I don't know how much of that video you watched. The problem he had was that he held on to the ball for WAY too long and tried to get it to his top receiver repeatedly... didn't look anyone off. Typical of a high school quarterback.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 25, 2012 4:13 pm

His arm is adequate. The problem is that you can't really judge his decision making against Massachusetts HS football teams. The opponents were flat out terrible, and he threw a ton of balls he never should have thrown. But he can chuck a decent deep ball when he gets it out on time.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri May 25, 2012 6:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:His arm is adequate. The problem is that you can't really judge his decision making against Massachusetts HS football teams. The opponents were flat out terrible, and he threw a ton of balls he never should have thrown. But he can chuck a decent deep ball when he gets it out on time.

You're saying he has arm strength?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium