2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:19 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Al Washington posted on FB that BC now has 7 commits. Could mean another player committed, maybe Morrison?

Justin Rowland (Rivals) is usually really good about posting the commitments on twitter and he has said nothing since Jasudowich.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:19 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:I take this with a huge grain of salt but someone on EA commented a few days ago that they saw Hurst on campus during one of the recent camps. I have no idea if this is true and, if so, I assume it doesn't mean anything, but you never know. I really do get the sense Hurst wants to go to BC but doesn't want to play on an awful team for four years, so I do think there's at least a greater than 0% chance that a big year under Spaz or (much more likely) a dynamic hire could flip him.

Just a guess but I think a good hire (Greg Roman) can flip Hurst and Montelus. The fear is D. Fillipo is allowed to do one more "national search" and hires some clownshoes coach like Dave Clawson. Time will tell.

Dave Clawson would smoke Spaz is a coaching competition...I wouldn't complain

Dave Clawson has a whopping record of 14-23, at a MAC school, over the same time period as Spaz.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:15 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Al Washington posted on FB that BC now has 7 commits. Could mean another player committed, maybe Morrison?

Justin Rowland (Rivals) is usually really good about posting the commitments on twitter and he has said nothing since Jasudowich.

According to BCI, he has now posted the commitment on Twitter. It's also up on EA.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:59 am

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

According to BCI, he has now posted the commitment on Twitter. It's also up on EA.

So doest this mean their is a #7 or not ? Rowland has posted nothing on twitter since he announced the Jasudowich commitment and on TOS there is only an article on Jaquille Veii from Maryalnd (not subscriber).

FWIW, Al Washington has this as one of the photos on his FB page and it gave me a good laugh ...

Followed by... "Spaz We Got Your Back...Let The Naysayers Talk, Its A New Day...We All We Got! "
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:03 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

So doest this mean their is a #7 or not ? Rowland has posted nothing on twitter since he announced the Jasudowich commitment and on TOS there is only an article on Jaquille Veii from Maryalnd (not subscriber).

FWIW, Al Washington has this as one of the photos on his FB page and it gave me a good laugh ...

Followed by... "Spaz We Got Your Back...Let The Naysayers Talk, Its A New Day...We All We Got! "

FHCBAW?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:47 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Is AW following in the "Sore Eagles" tradition of BC D-linemen by counting incorrectly? No love lost, but he does keep saying "We All We Got!"
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:06 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

It's not entirely clear if we have 6 or 7. The best thought someone put out is that S Neil Morrison has basically committed to BC but still has admissions stuff to deal with, which might explain the discrepancy. I can see him having committed to the staff but not wanting to publicly do so until his commitment has been accepted by BC.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

It's not entirely clear if we have 6 or 7. The best thought someone put out is that S Neil Morrison has basically committed to BC but still has admissions stuff to deal with, which might explain the discrepancy. I can see him having committed to the staff but not wanting to publicly do so until his commitment has been accepted by BC.

Right now is just about the time his spring grades would be coming out. It's possible that Admissions is waiting on those.

It appears that, like last year, the majority of this class will be done by the middle of August.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:15 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

I don't understand that. Like how bad IS his GPA, because Malik Golden told me that he was accepted into BC and his HS GPA was 2.5......he's going to Penn State.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:35 am

From the people who know recruiting, what's the general feeling on Neil Morrison? He doesn't seem to have any other offers but from his highlight tape seems like a pretty legit prospect.

Although missing on all these local kids is annoying, I really like the strategy of taking mid-level kids from states like Florida, Virginia, etc instead of diving into the ISL like we usually do. Much greater upside with this strategy this year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:35 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:From the people who know recruiting, what's the general feeling on Neil Morrison? He doesn't seem to have any other offers but from his highlight tape seems like a pretty legit prospect.

Although missing on all these local kids is annoying, I really like the strategy of taking mid-level kids from states like Florida, Virginia, etc instead of diving into the ISL like we usually do. Much greater upside with this strategy this year.

He seems decently well regarded and the reports from when he camped were good. This is probably a very homer thing to say but he's been a very heavy BC lean for a while and doesn't seem to be camping/doing combines/doing anything else that could lead to more offers. I also like that he was targeted very early, as the staff actually seems to do pretty well with it's earliest offers in terms of identifying legit guys.

I agree on the strategy of hitting mid-tier guys from a variety of states, but I don't think that should take away at all from how bad we're doing in Mass (not that you are saying that and in fairness we are crushing CT). I especially hate when some people give passes when the staff whiffs on guys from e.g., OH who want to stay local at somewhere like Cincinnati but don't have the same standard for BC with Mass guys. Hurst is a huge miss and the fact that we likely will miss out on back to back offers to BC High guys is absurd.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Doing poorly recruiting in MA = recruiting well. MA football positively blows, I don't want any top targets to be from here. Wake me up next time we hear from Josh Adams or Arthur Hyphen TE.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:21 pm

ESPN told Gene to crush CT.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Doing poorly recruiting in MA = recruiting well. MA football positively blows, I don't want any top targets to be from here. Wake me up next time we hear from Josh Adams or Arthur Hyphen TE.

I generally agree. However, I think there are occasionally some talented players (not many but some). BC, since TC, has been the home for the vast majority of these players. Now... not so much. We are still landing Mass kids at the same clip, it's just that they have been generally outside of the Top 5 or 10 in the State.

As for the two players you mentioned:
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/10/12/ ... eturn.html
http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/ ... demand-job
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Our next coach should be given 100% free reign to assemble whatever staff he chooses, but I really hope he keeps Washington on board (good chance of this, new coaches will commonly retain 1 or 2 assistants from the old staff for the sake of continuity). I'd love to see what he can do on the recruiting trail when he actually has a quality product to sell.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:27 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Our next coach should be given 100% free reign to assemble whatever staff he chooses, but I really hope he keeps Washington on board (good chance of this, new coaches will commonly retain 1 or 2 assistants from the old staff for the sake of continuity). I'd love to see what he can do on the recruiting trail when he actually has a quality product to sell.

Keep whoever is handling Florida and CT right now also, they seem to be doing a good job.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:38 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/east/post?id=3332

Nick Arcidiacono (Warminster, Pa./Archbishop Wood) saw the recruiting process first-hand during the last several years when his two older brothers went through it. He says his recruitment has been a little bit different than his brothers’, though.

“I knew what to expect with coaches and all that, but it was a little different for me because I’m more of a hybrid,” said the 6-foot-4, 230-pound Arcidiacono, who is being recruited as a tight end, defensive end and linebacker. “They were both clear offensive linemen. I’m kind of all over the place.”

All three positions are represented in Arcidiacono’s final four. Boston College likes him as a defensive end/outside linebacker combo. Rutgers wants to play him at tight end, and Temple and FCS school Delaware want him strictly as a defensive end. He will make his commitment public at 3 p.m. ET Thursday at his high school.

Arcidiacono wanted to get his decision out of the way so he can focus on helping Archbishop Wood repeat as state champions.

“The college I chose, it feels right,” he said. “There’s nowhere else in my mind for me. It feels right.”

The coaching staff and the opportunity to play early were the two biggest factors in his decision.

On Wednesday, Arcidiacono broke down his four finalists.

Boston College: “I love the city of Boston. It’s awesome up there, great tradition up there. I really like the coaches. … They said they see me as a defensive end/outside linebacker type, maybe coming off the edge in pass rushing and dropping back sometimes.”

Rutgers: “I’ve been there a couple times. My brother (Brandon) is going there next year. It’s close, and all the facilities there are one of the best. The coaches are great. I talked to (first-time) Coach [Kyle] Flood a couple times. He seems like a great guy. From what I’m hearing all the players are loving his style.

“… I know they use tight end a lot. The most important thing for me is getting on the field. I like that they use a lot of tight ends.”

Temple: “Them being so close, I’m a real family guy. I’ve been watching them since I was young. My dad actually played at Temple. I like Coach [Steve] Addazio’s style. I’m a Philly guy so Temple is definitely up there for me, and they’re on the rise. Temple is definitely an up-and-coming program.”

Delaware: If I really feel like I want to play (early) then Delaware might be the place I want to be. I visited their campus a couple times. The lifestyle there is awesome. I know a couple of players and they said they love it. And they’re one of the top programs in (formerly) 1-AA.”
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle216 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Doing poorly recruiting in MA = recruiting well. MA football positively blows, I don't want any top targets to be from here. Wake me up next time we hear from Josh Adams or Arthur Hyphen TE.

+1

I don't get everyone getting their panties in a bunch over where recruits come from. If they can play, they can play. If they suck, they suck. No one should care where they are from. By and large, legit MA talent will come to BC is the coaching staff if competent and the team is winning. It matters not to them where the players come from. I see no advantage to having a good staff/winning team/a lot of MA players over having a good staff/winning team/few MA players.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:51 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:

+1

I don't get everyone getting their panties in a bunch over where recruits come from. If they can play, they can play. If they suck, they suck. No one should care where they are from. By and large, legit MA talent will come to BC is the coaching staff if competent and the team is winning. It matters not to them where the players come from. I see no advantage to having a good staff/winning team/a lot of MA players over having a good staff/winning team/few MA players.

I would agree if BC was in a position where we were replacing MA whiff with comparable quality guys elsewhere. Instead, we're missing on guys that should be the best bets to commit for harder guys to recruit that are likely less well regarded.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby NJM89 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Boyle will be on campus for a couple days, hopefully he can help with getting some players to join him. Anyone got a list of visitors coming up?
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:29 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Boyle will be on campus for a couple days, hopefully he can help with getting some players to join him. Anyone got a list of visitors coming up?

These are the important ones:

Today:
ATH Drew Barksdale
Tomorrow:
WR Javon Harrison
Friday:
RB Josh Tapscott
ATH Jacquille Veii
LB Lincoln Stewart
QB William Ulmer
Saturday:
WR Daikiel Shorts
RB Wendell Smallwood
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby NJM89 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:Boyle will be on campus for a couple days, hopefully he can help with getting some players to join him. Anyone got a list of visitors coming up?

These are the important ones:

Today:
ATH Drew Barksdale
Tomorrow:
WR Javon Harrison
Friday:
RB Josh Tapscott
ATH Jacquille Veii
LB Lincoln Stewart
QB William Ulmer
Saturday:
WR Daikiel Shorts
RB Wendell Smallwood

Barksdale, Harrison, and Ulmer all play quaterback as a daul threat in high school. Wonder if Martin is still looking for one more QB or if they'll end up at WR or DB.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Harrison and Barksdale are WRs. Ulmer is a QB but he's 2014.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:36 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Harrison and Barksdale are WRs. Ulmer is a QB but he's 2014.

Ulmer seems legit, he's getting a lot of attention
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 am

Interesting that Mackay Lowrie got a higher rating on 247 sports than Tim Boyle.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Harrison and Barksdale are WRs. Ulmer is a QB but he's 2014.

Yep and him and Omar Truitt really like BC early on. Washington is doing a great job. On Lowrie over Boyle the TR staff feels the same way as of now: http://www.theringer.com/PlayerDetails/TeamCommits/24?year=2013&school=Boston%20College
http://www.theringer.com/Article/News/199?title=TR-Mailbag-5.16.12
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:11 am

I like having a former player on staff.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Arcidiacono to Rutgers per twitter
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby garf112 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:30 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Yep and him and Omar Truitt really like BC early on. Washington is doing a great job. On Lowrie over Boyle the TR staff feels the same way as of now: http://www.theringer.com/PlayerDetails/TeamCommits/24?year=2013&school=Boston%20College
http://www.theringer.com/Article/News/199?title=TR-Mailbag-5.16.12

Interesting. I see Boyle as the more polished of the two currently with a bit less of an arm. Lowrie definitely has upside, but he needs to learn to get rid of the ball quicker and has to work on his throwing mechanics. They still are a long way from finished products, but both look like FBS caliber QBs.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:Arcidiacono to Rutgers per twitter

Not a surprise given 1) he had a press conference and 2) it was called right after he got the RU offer. Disappointing nevertheless, as we need a lot of quality DLs this class.
31southst
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium