2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:23 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:The hockey comments on there are absolutely hilarious, they think in a couple of years they'll have a competitive program and will surpass BC. Never mind that they're mediocre in the shittiest conference and will be jumping to the best.

To be fair, I think that IF they make a legitimate commitment to the sport and are accepted into HEA, they can be a mid-level HEA program within 5 years or so of a new barn being built (and if I'm HEA I don't let them in until the sport is fully funded and the new rink is completed). That said, their ceiling in hockey is UMass/Vermont/Northeastern/Lowell--decent but not overwhelming program that benefits from playing in one of the two power conferences, makes the NCAA tournament every other year or so and makes the HEA semis once maybe every 4-5 years (I didn't include Merrimack in that group because their success over the last few years is purely a result of Dennehy and they will once again be permanently rooted in the HEA basement as soon as he leaves for a bigger job). They aren't ever going to consistently compete with BU/Maine/UNH, let alone BC.

Of course, if they're playing BC anywhere from 2-7 times a year they'll eventually win a game against us, and we'll never hear the end of it.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby bruisertm on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Do you guys think anyone will commit after the camp this weekend? I would like to seem so momentum start after Boyle committed.
bruisertm
n00b

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:17 pm

bruisertm {l Wrote}:Do you guys think anyone will commit after the camp this weekend? I would like to seem so momentum start after Boyle committed.

I hear BC is number 1 on Dionte Taylor's list. Also high on Interincola's.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
bruisertm {l Wrote}:Do you guys think anyone will commit after the camp this weekend? I would like to seem so momentum start after Boyle committed.

It was also reported that Morrison was likely to commit on his visit
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:53 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

It was also reported that Morrison was likely to commit on his visit

Sean Desai's Florida pipeline is looking strong
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:25 pm

About a year ago or so I thought BC's safety recruiting was a complete joke but now with soon to commit Morrison, I think BC is pretty well off with Simmons, Keys, Morrison and Rositano. Also, BC only needs about two OLs(a guard and tackle). Grabbing these two campers wouldn't be the worst thing in the world plus a pretty decent LB. Still, BC's DL recruiting is still in a world of hurt and needs a lot of help.

2. David Knevel, OT: This massive Canadian prospect has been listed elsewhere as between 6-foot-7 and 6-foot-8 and around 270 pounds. Sounds massive, but it’s also not true. He’s bigger. Knevel measured in at a hair over 6-foot-9 and 285 pounds on Saturday. Looking at him, your first thought is that he has to be uncoordinated. That couldn’t be further from the truth, though, as he flew through bag drills and was capable of moving his feet well enough to hold off most everyone in 1-on-1’s. Missouri has offered, while Wisconsin, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and others are close.

4. Nick Internicola, LB: The three-star, 89-rated prospect blazed through the five cone drill, showed good speed when running routes and never seemed to get tired as fellow campers bent over to catch their breath, or even puke. There’s a debate among where he should play at the next level but, after watching him on Saturday, it seems obvious that he is best suited for outside linebacker. He has prototypical size (6-foot-3 and around 220 pounds) and has the speed to keep up with most running backs. The only issue was his hip movement. He was beat more than once in 1-on-1’s when the back went up field instead of the more traditional hitch or out route.

5. Chasz Wright, OT: Wright is someone that caught my eye just standing around during registration. He’s physically imposing at a well-built 6-foot-6, 271 pounds. Looking at his frame, he could shape things up, add about 20 pounds and still have the mobility that was on display Saturday. The three-star, 82-rated prospect has offers from Connecticut and Old Dominion, but I expect others to be added to that list soon.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:12 am

Recruiting article on BC camp:
Boston College head coach Frank Spaziani may top Athlon’s latest list of coaches on the hot seat after going 20-19 in three years, but things look promising for 2012 as 16 starters return and the team finished strong last season, winning three of their final five games.
Neil Morrison at City/pembroke Pines Charter

Nick Internicola, Dionte Taylor and Neil Morrison traveled to Boston College from south Florida and all came away impressed.

That optimism is carrying over onto the recruiting trail, as the Eagles hold verbal commitments from the top two players in the state of Connecticut in tight end Andrew Isaacs and quarterback Tim Boyle, who recently picked Boston College over perennial power Florida.

As prospects from around the country – and beyond – made their way to the Newton, Massachusetts campus outside of Boston, it became apparent that that recruiting momentum could continue for the 2013 class.

“The trip is going real good; I’m really enjoying myself,” said Friendship Collegiate Academy (DC) quarterback Tim Brady. “They made me feel like I was at home, so I definitely liked that.”

Those same sentiments resonated with a trio of prospects from a lot further down Interstate 95.

“The trip right now has been real good,” said University School (FL) linebacker Nick Internicola, who was actually born and raised in Boston. “I like it a lot up here.”

For Pembroke Pines Charter (FL) safety Neil Morrison, every aspect of the trip received rave reviews. In fact, Boston College has set the benchmark for all other trips going forward.

“It’s great. I love the campus. I love the environment. I love the people,” he said. “What I want to see [from other schools], honestly, is what I see here at Boston College. This is just great.”

But the most positive reaction may have come from University School (FL) wide receiver Dionte Taylor, who used a rarely-utilized, yet very effective, adjective to describe his visit.

“The trip has been flawless so far,” he said. “I’m attracted to a lot of stuff I’m seeing. The vibe I’m getting from the people, I really like it. I’m liking the camaraderie of the team, too. When we got up here, they embraced us and were talking about where we could fit in.”

Taylor did realize one potential problem if he were to choose Boston College for the next four years, however.

“I’m the only Heat fan within fifty miles!” he exclaimed, alluding to the intense NBA rivalry between the Miami Heat and Boston Celtics. “We were watching the game with some guys from the team [on Thursday night] and they started putting it together. One guy yelled out, ‘wait, you’re from south Florida!’ But they were just kidding. They were cool with it.”

Of course, hometown allegiances will be forgiven if he’s tallying 1,000 yard seasons for the Eagles in a couple years.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby NJM89 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:56 pm

NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby Bunratty on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Morrison did not commit. According to TOS, he wants to commit, even if other schools offer. However, there are "other issues at play and this may take awhile longer." (Read: admissions).
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Only two new offers from the camps according to TGOSB and one is a 2014 kid from Brookline that is moving to VA.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby joesim on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:31 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Only two new offers from the camps according to TGOSB and one is a 2014 kid from Brookline that is moving to VA.

You also gotta remember that a good majority of of the recruits were Quarterbacks and Im pretty sure we're done recruiting Qb's for this class
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) University School three-star wide receiver Dionte Taylor took a pair of visits within the past week.

"I went to UCF the day before I left for Boston (to visit Boston College)," Taylor said.

Taylor isn't going to rush into a decision.
The 6-foot, 165-pound wideout talked about his time in Orlando on-campus at UCF.

"I went for a day," Taylor said. "Me and my quarterback (Mike White), and our offensive coordinator. My offensive coordinator went to UCF, so he basically gave us a tour by ourselves until we met up with the coaches."

Taylor eventually did meet up with a few members of George O'Leary's staff.

"The coaches formally gave us a tour," Taylor said. "It is a nice campus, a really big campus. That kind of stood out to me."

Following the tour, Taylor also met with a few of the assistant coaches to go over the offense utilized by the Knights.

The next day, Taylor and his teammate, three-star linebacker Nick Internicola, made their way to Boston College.

"It was a whole lot of fun and it was really helpful," Taylor said. "It helped to give me a clear vision of what is up there for me."

Taylor shared more details of what stood out to him about Frank Spaziani's program at Boston College.

"With the program specifically, it is kind of similar to the program that we have at U School," Taylor said. "I like how they operate. It is a really family-oriented program. When we got there, the players embraced us and it felt like we were right at home. I like the way that everybody gets along with everybody."

The South Florida wide receiver has developed a good relationship with his primary recruiter at Boston College. He spent more time with him and other assistant coaches during his visit.

"Coach (Sean) Desai has told me since the jump, since he came down here at the start of my recruitment, that they were looking for me to be a wide receiver for them early on," Taylor said. "They need somebody that can come in and play early. He said that they need someone that can step up to the challenge. I sat down with him and the wide receivers coach (Aaron Smith) and got a feel for what they are running and how they operate. After going over some plays and some stuff on the board, I learned how I would fit into the offense as either an outside or slot receiver, but primarily in the slot. I also learned that the offensive coordinator (Doug Martin) throws the ball a lot, because I wasn't quite sure what kind of guy he was."

With regards to additional visits, Taylor isn't sure when he will hit the road again, but he does want to see a school that recently offered.

"I want to go see Wake Forest eventually," Taylor said. "That is probably it for the summer.

"When it comes time to use officials, I will probably travel a bit farther," Taylor added. "Probably up to some place like Cincinnati or something like that."

As for a decision, Taylor said he will likely take at least a few official visits before reaching a decision. At this point in the process, he doesn't claim a leader.

"I haven't formed a list yet but I really like Boston College," Taylor said. "I like them even more after my visit."
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:49 pm

the camp article is pretty depressing
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 pm

From the pictures, looks like the camp was on the Newton campus Field Hockey field. Are the campers staying out on newton vs Edmonds/Walsh?
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 pm

The article posted by BCEaglesFan is noteworthy because it wasn't given to a BC writer. It tends to mean a lot more when someone mentions liking BC to someone not associated with BC.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Mosi on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:33 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:From the pictures, looks like the camp was on the Newton campus Field Hockey field. Are the campers staying out on newton vs Edmonds/Walsh?

aren't they replacing the Field Turf at Alumni now?
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:42 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:The article posted by BCEaglesFan is noteworthy because it wasn't given to a BC writer. It tends to mean a lot more when someone mentions liking BC to someone not associated with BC.

Do you mean the one with Dionte Taylor only or with all the players?
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:33 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:The article posted by BCEaglesFan is noteworthy because it wasn't given to a BC writer. It tends to mean a lot more when someone mentions liking BC to someone not associated with BC.

Do you mean the one with Dionte Taylor only or with all the players?

The Taylor one where he says he "really likes Boston College" that was with Chris Nee (not Rowland/Matthews)
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:59 pm

Josh Dobbs to ASU. Not suprising considering BC was done at QB. Good news is that Internicola and Taylor BC seems to be either #1 or at the top for.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:47 pm

TE Quinn Thompson really liked his visit and likely will commit to BC before the end of the month. He seems like a solid TE in his own right (other offers from UConn and much of the MAC, which is about what you'd expect us to land given the circumstances) and decent insurance for if/when Isaacs flips.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:47 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:TE Quinn Thompson really liked his visit and likely will commit to BC before the end of the month. He seems like a solid TE in his own right (other offers from UConn and much of the MAC, which is about what you'd expect us to land given the circumstances) and decent insurance for if/when Isaacs flips.

We have always seemed to do well with recruiting pretty highly touted TEs and QBs but never WRs

any idea why?
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:04 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:TE Quinn Thompson really liked his visit and likely will commit to BC before the end of the month. He seems like a solid TE in his own right (other offers from UConn and much of the MAC, which is about what you'd expect us to land given the circumstances) and decent insurance for if/when Isaacs flips.

We have always seemed to do well with recruiting pretty highly touted TEs and QBs but never WRs

any idea why?

Dreadlocks vs. Goldilocks?

But seriously, I'm wildly impressed we keep duping TE's into coming here considering we haven't thrown to one since Spaz got hired.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby joesim on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:04 am

Josh Tapscott was upgraded to a 3* on ESPN

ESPN Analyst
Updated 06/04/2012
Tapscott certainly shows flashes of being a potential sleeper prospect. Productive running back and DB who could get recruited at either position at the college level. Needs to put his game all together and become more consistent but there are signs of talent. On, offense he's a shorter, compactly built runner with an above average blend of strength, speed and balance. Patient through the hole with shorter steps and a pick and stab style; makes subtle cutbacks finding the seams but not realsudden. Lacks big play acceleration when he finds a vertical seam butdoes show flashes of solid burst when he plants to get downhill or takes it tothe outside. Upright runner for a shorter back which hinders his change-of-direction and opens his body up for direct hits. Lacks a lot of wiggle for a smaller back and shows hip tension. Will make the first defender miss through the hole but is not an elusive open field runner. While he breaks a decent amount of initial contact and can absorb a hit when he gets low behind his pads, this is not a powerful runner or a long-striding speed threat. Can catch the ball out of the backfield, return kicks and is above average in a lot of areas but not a difference maker in any at this point. Seems to have a more natural feel on defense as a hybrid DB who plays a lot in the box in a Nickel type role. Pursues with good quickness and sharp angles without a lot of wasted motion. Physical defender who plays bigger than measurables and makes solid contact as a tackler but needs to wrap up more consistently. Closes quickly on pass when aligned in deep zone schemes. Times his break accurately and is instinctive. Tweener though as he possesses corner size but lacks top-level hips and speed; not a guy you want locked on an island at the next level and feel he could have difficulty in the box at safety with his size and in deep coverage with his marginal length. Overall, Tapscott may be a late bloomer on the recruiting trailbut we do not see premier BCS talent at this point.
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 am

I can't remember if this has been discussed but apparently Big Al is really getting at it on the recruiting trail (which should come as no surprise). It really goes to show what having some young/hungry staffers can do. He's also uniquely positioned to sell BC, which helps too. Even with a wholesale house cleaning hopefully coming after this season, there will inevitably be a couple staffers that stay on with the new staff. Putting aside what Don Gene demands of the next coach, Al seems like he's doing a good job positioning himself to be one of them.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:03 am

31southst {l Wrote}:I can't remember if this has been discussed but apparently Big Al is really getting at it on the recruiting trail (which should come as no surprise). It really goes to show what having some young/hungry staffers can do. He's also uniquely positioned to sell BC, which helps too. Even with a wholesale house cleaning hopefully coming after this season, there will inevitably be a couple staffers that stay on with the new staff. Putting aside what Don Gene demands of the next coach, Al seems like he's doing a good job positioning himself to be one of them.

Where is Al recruiting? I know siravo has a lot of CT and Virginia and Desai has FL of lockdown
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:08 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:I can't remember if this has been discussed but apparently Big Al is really getting at it on the recruiting trail (which should come as no surprise). It really goes to show what having some young/hungry staffers can do. He's also uniquely positioned to sell BC, which helps too. Even with a wholesale house cleaning hopefully coming after this season, there will inevitably be a couple staffers that stay on with the new staff. Putting aside what Don Gene demands of the next coach, Al seems like he's doing a good job positioning himself to be one of them.

Where is Al recruiting? I know siravo has a lot of CT and Virginia and Desai has FL of lockdown

Seems like he's mid-atlantic, especially MD and VA
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:14 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

That's pretty good. Maryland isn't exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment. Do you know of any recruits Washington is recruiting specifically?
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:22 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

That's pretty good. Maryland isn't exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment. Do you know of any recruits Washington is recruiting specifically?

Rachid Ibrahim, Jacquille Veii, Daikiel Shorts, and Eric Tetlow are some. I also know he recruited Josh Tapscott.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCWomp on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:08 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

So much for Maryland not "firing on all cylanders". They just picked up commits from 2 4-star local guys from DC. Both had upwards of 20 high profile offers. You have to remember that te brought in Mike Locksley as their DC and he is a major recruiting guru in the mid-atlantic. He was actually getting guys from MD and DC to commit to the horrendous New Mexico program while he was HC. His contract actually offers bonuses if MD is in the top 25 on Rivals or Scout. This will likely lead to other local guys from MD and DC gravitating to Maryland.
BCWomp
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium