2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:30 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:If BC shit-cans Spaz halfway through the season does it enhancec their chances to get any of these local kids back?

Much as I would like to believe that to be the case, I don't see any mid-season replacement as aviable long-term alternative. I imagined this year would be tough, but this is fare exceeding my worst possibilities...they are not going to land one decent local product.

Midseason replacements are typically assistants elevated to the job on an interim basis anyway. Only chance we have of landing any of these guys (or any other decent recruits) is to hire a good coach after the season and hope he can flip them in the last month or so before signing day. It's certainly not out of the question, but sucks to have to rely on that.

It depends on who makes the decision. If it is Asshole D. Fillipo expect 5 more years of mediocrity.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:35 pm

The best thing for the recruiting class is for BC to fire Spaz after 11 games. That way the odds of the interim (Martin, McG or Gene) gaining enough momentum to become the next Dabo are long, yet BC can get a jump on the new coach and trying to poach other schools.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:20 pm

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:It depends on who makes the decision. If it is Asshole D. Fillipo expect 5 more years of mediocrity.

I despise this phrase as it implies that what we are experience is mediocrity.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:It depends on who makes the decision. If it is Asshole D. Fillipo expect 5 more years of mediocrity.

Last year was a disaster. The 2 before we mediocre.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:14 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The best thing for the recruiting class is for BC to fire Spaz after 11 games. That way the odds of the interim (Martin, McG or Gene) gaining enough momentum to become the next Dabo are long, yet BC can get a jump on the new coach and trying to poach other schools.

I don't know. Firing him after 9 games would probably be just as effective because we're not winning any of our last 3 games.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:31 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The best thing for the recruiting class is for BC to fire Spaz after 11 games. That way the odds of the interim (Martin, McG or Gene) gaining enough momentum to become the next Dabo are long, yet BC can get a jump on the new coach and trying to poach other schools.

I don't know. Firing him after 9 games would probably be just as effective because we're not winning any of our last 3 games.

Firing a coach mid-year in college sports makes no sense at all because you're not going to hire the permanent replacement until the off-season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Firing a coach mid-year in college sports makes no sense at all because you're not going to hire the permanent replacement until the off-season.

What if he knocks out an assistant and "forgets" to wear pants to a presser?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:52 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

What if he knocks out an assistant and "forgets" to wear pants to a presser?

Short of him embarrassing the school, then No.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:23 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:If BC shit-cans Spaz halfway through the season does it enhancec their chances to get any of these local kids back?

Much as I would like to believe that to be the case, I don't see any mid-season replacement as aviable long-term alternative. I imagined this year would be tough, but this is fare exceeding my worst possibilities...they are not going to land one decent local product.

There is very little chance Luigi gets bounced in the middle of the season. Unlike last year it is possible for Spaz to be fired but highly unlikely it will happen before the end of the year. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:21 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:

There is very little chance Luigi gets bounced in the middle of the season. Unlike last year it is possible for Spaz to be fired but highly unlikely it will happen before the end of the year. :ace

In :ace we trust!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:58 am

Well they already got the best QB in the state of Massachusetts. Maybe that is not saying much, but they got him.

I don't think Gene fires Spaz. I genuinely believe that 4-8 is the low water mark for the team. Last year was a disaster and it really couldn't have been that much worse. They won 1 game they could have lost (Miami), and lost 4 games (VPI, Notre Dame, Wake Forest & Duke) they could have won. That is just shit bad luck.

Spaz is the worst coach this team has had in years. In recent memory, only Henning is worse. But that doesn't mean that they are going to blow this year. We will see marked improvement, regardless of how good or sucky an offensive coordinator Doug Martin is. Chase has been QB for so long at this level he will be allowed to audible out of running plays, I expect at least 20 TD passes this year. The team wins at least 5 and they are probably going to go 6-6 and Spaz stays. With VPI, Clemson, F$U, & Georgia Tech playing at a level far beyond what this team is capable of competing with (Clemson is a legit National Title contender), we can't really hope to hang with them. A 7-5 season is probably the best case scenario.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:16 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Well they already got the best QB in the state of Massachusetts. Maybe that is not saying much, but they got him.

I don't think Gene fires Spaz. I genuinely believe that 4-8 is the low water mark for the team. Last year was a disaster and it really couldn't have been that much worse. They won 1 game they could have lost (Miami), and lost 4 games (VPI, Notre Dame, Wake Forest & Duke) they could have won. That is just shit bad luck.

Spaz is the worst coach this team has had in years. In recent memory, only Henning is worse. But that doesn't mean that they are going to blow this year. We will see marked improvement, regardless of how good or sucky an offensive coordinator Doug Martin is. Chase has been QB for so long at this level he will be allowed to audible out of running plays, I expect at least 20 TD passes this year. The team wins at least 5 and they are probably going to go 6-6 and Spaz stays. With VPI, Clemson, F$U, & Georgia Tech playing at a level far beyond what this team is capable of competing with (Clemson is a legit National Title contender), we can't really hope to hang with them. A 7-5 season is probably the best case scenario.

Terrible analysis IB. The Maryland win was a result of a monsoon remember Duece Finch's 390,000 yds rushing? it is not clear they would have lost under more normal circumstances but if we're talking about things that could have happened it seems like a good place to start. NC State was no blowout either, so if you want to say we could have been 8(9)-4 I'd counter that we just as easily could have been 2-10.

Your expectations for Rettig are not reasonable, in my opinion, based on past performance and an overall absence of improvement to date (taking into account how screwed up his head must be after the number and quality of OCs to date) and the identity of the head coach.

Clemson is not a legitimate title contender, that's silly, but you are correct we are unlikely to hang with them.

Spaz is arguably worse than Henning.

My prediction is that we will know the state of the season by game 3. If we lose to the U and NW Spaz is done. If we win both it will probably be a 5-6 or even 7 win season and I don't know what that will mean but it certainly should still mean a firing. If we split them its 4-5 wins and I wish I could say that meant he was done.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:21 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

My prediction is that we will know the state of the season by game 3.

I agree with this. LNH even said that Miami is the most important game of the season and she's correct. It is. A win at home against a very young and vulnerable Hurricane team sets the stage for a possible 3-0 run (that might set the stage for the season.) In order for BC to even HAVE a decent season, they must start 3-0.

For the record, it wasn't 4 games they lost that they could have as easily won, it was 5. I forgot how close Northwestern was.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle216 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:10 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I agree with this. LNH even said that Miami is the most important game of the season and she's correct. It is. A win at home against a very young and vulnerable Hurricane team sets the stage for a possible 3-0 run (that might set the stage for the season.) In order for BC to even HAVE a decent season, they must start 3-0.

For the record, it wasn't 4 games they lost that they could have as easily won, it was 5. I forgot how close Northwestern was.

The we-are-going-to-win-more-games-this-year-because-we-almost-won-a lot-of-games-last-year argument is for pussies. Take that shit to EA.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:32 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

The we-are-going-to-win-more-games-this-year-because-we-almost-won-a lot-of-games-last-year argument is for pussies. Take that shit to EA.

I don't pay money to post.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:06 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Says the kid with the Everton Soccer avatar... haha sorry, had to.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Bunratty on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Correctomundo. Mediocrity is going 7-5 and playing in some asshat bowl. We are far below mediocrity.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:29 pm

I cannot take another five years of this shit. :suicide
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:24 pm

FWIW, ESPN updated profiles for Jack Cottrell and Mackay Lowrie (both three stars)

Cottrell
Cottrell is a tough run stopper with the athleticism necessary to succeed as a zone coverage defender. Has the size and playing speed for the outside linebacker position at the major level of competition; his long frame should be capable of supporting additional bulk over time. This prospect is a strong wrap tackler who doesn't allow yardage after contact; should be productive early on as a special team's coverage defender. We see enough hip flexibility, agility and balance to play in space effectively; does a good job turning and changing direction when in lateral pursuit, showing good sideline to sideline range. Possesses the initial quickness needed to get off the mark and attack the run downhill; demonstrates good key and diagnosis reaction skills defending both the run and pass. We see the need to improve his leverage when taking on blockers at the point of attack. This linebacker moves through traffic well, can pop open gaps and maintain leverage on plays away. Is alert and smart, demonstrating the intensity and nose for the football we look for when evaluating linebackers. Displays good underneath coverage skills at this stage of his development; works hard to get depth, showing good route awareness with eyes on the quarterback; picks up crossing routes quickly, allowing limited yardage after the catch; man coverage assignments must be carefully game planned. Cottrell does not appear to be an immediate starter at the BCS level of play; some time and perhaps a red shirt year may be necessary before he is ready to play.

Lowrie
Lowrie is an athletic pocket passer that has the skill set to play in most every scheme and is good enough to be counted on as a designated runner if need be. He has good size and is well built. Could fill out into a very impressive player physically. Works from under center and out of the shotgun and is a good ball handler in this scheme which features quite a bit of misdirection and play-pass. He has good mobility. Can get out of trouble and make a play as a run/pass threat. He is very difficult to tackle within the pocket. Can buy second passing chances and throws well off balance and on the move. Has good speed for the position and is a physical runner with elusiveness. Shows very good accuracy rolling both right and left. Shows solid touch on short to intermediate routes. He possesses good arm strength and throws a solid deep ball. Can drop the ball over the top of coverage. Can adjust his arm motion/speed when he needs to based on pressure. Has a quick release %u2013 generally gets it to target as he is coming out of breaks. His mechanics are inconsistent, he has somewhat of a sidearm/pushing delivery, but he is accurate. Needs to correct some technique in his throwing motion to become more consistent in his delivery. Lowrie has some physical tools, but he is also raw and not very polished yet. Throws off his back foot, does not always step into throws and derive the power he should through his hips. Level of competition is a concern as well. Lowrie has many redeeming qualities and could attract some BCS attention and should see FCS level and non-BCS offers.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:51 pm

So...3* QB Tim Boyle has committed to BC per Scout. Strange.

https://twitter.com/BrianDohnScout/stat ... 0429739011
http://rivals.yahoo.com/bostoncollege/f ... pBfXmqrJB4
http://bostoncollege.scout.com/a.z?s=16 ... id=6025000

ESPN {l Wrote}:This is a player that does a lot of things well and may be flying under the radar a bit for programs that are looking for a pro-style passer. Boyle possesses good height on a long, lean frame. Potential to develop into an ideal sized drop back passer if he can add the needed weight. Shows good mobility in the pocket, can buy extra time. Does a good job of throwing on time. Shows the ability to make a play when the initial route breaks down. Has good anticipation on touch passes. Calm in the pocket as he goes through his reads. Needs to add strength/bulk to his frame to withstand hits at the next level, not a physical player on the run. Carries the ball low in his set up and is not always ready to throw. Does a good job of getting his shoulders in position to throw on the move. Fluid athlete that can make throws without a perfect setup or time. Boyle has a slightly long delivery. Has an efficient enough release to succeed at the next level. Loses some of his height advantage with a low release point. Has good enough arm strength to make all the throws, but does not display an ability to really drive the ball. More of a touch and timing passer with zip. Has a nice soft touch and throws a catchable ball. Shows good accuracy on throws at all three levels. At times displays poor ball security in the pocket, fumble threat that needs to revamp his ball placement in the pocket. Does not display the elusiveness needed to be considered a dual threat player at the next level. Has very good tools to work with, has a high ceiling that needs to fill out physically and clean up mechanically. Would expect him to receive BCS offers.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-spor ... /tim-boyle
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby NJM89 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 pm

We needed that, congrats and welcome Tim. Also I wonder if he is close to Andrew Issacs at all from both living in Connecticut. Hopefully he can convince him to stay with us.

http://247sports.com/Article/Tim-Boyle-commits-to-Boston-College-76355

Last edited by NJM89 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 pm

I'll give credit to the staff on this one. Boyle is a very good get at QB, which is a huge position of need this year. From CT, he has other offers from Uconn, Florida, Pitt, and Cuse. That's exactly the type of guy I'd hope BC could pull in and honestly I'm stunned we were able to do so this year. He apparently knows Graham Stewart pretty well so maybe there's something there as to why he didn't pick UF. Hopefully the new coaching staff will be able to keep him on board come the end of the year.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle1331 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm not sure the last time I was pleased with anything the coaching staff did, aside from when Al Washington was brought on board, but getting the email from Scout on this one did impress me...
Herzlich for Coach '09-'10
eagle1331
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Something probably good happened?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:16 pm

I almost never do this, but I can't resist this time:

EA {l Wrote}:June 6, 2012

Huge Commitment

Justin Rowland
EagleAction.com Recruiting Analyst

Tim Boyle committed to Boston College on Wednesday, giving the Eagles a big-time quarterback commitment and the staff a major recruiting victory over Florida and others.

Boyle, the 6-foot-4, 216-pound pro-style quarterback from Middletown (Conn.) Xavier, informed assistant coach Mike Siravo around noon that he wanted to be an Eagle.

"I'm a happy camper right now," Boyle said with a laugh when EagleAction.com caught up with him early Wednesday afternoon.

Boyle has had a long relationship with Siravo and the Eagles and was able to build a lot of trust with the coaching staff, even as other offers continued to roll in.

When Florida offered it appeared as though the Gators had dethroned the Eagles on Boyle's list.

The high three-star quarterback admits the decision ultimately came down to BC and Florida.

"I've had BC up there the whole time since they were the first (school) to offer me," Boyle said. "Honestly, being young I was looking for a program like the (Florida) Gators. I've come to realize it's not about that. It'd be cool to be a Gator but are you going to play? Will you be treated the same way you're treated at BC?

"My whole family is from Boston. The academics are amazing, the campus is beautiful, the coaching staff is top notch and the offense fits me well. It's everything I was looking for a college. BC has just always be there."

Boyle admits that Florida was an appealing option and turning down a program that has won two national championships since 2006 was not an easy thing to do.

Of course, Florida has had plenty of recruiting success in Connecticut, and that's something else that weighed on the quarterback's mind.

When did the turning point occur that tipped things back in BC's direction?

"It was the Florida visit," Boyle said. "I went down to Florida and it's a great place. The coaches are amazing. It really is a top notch place. But when I went down there I realized it wasn't me. I couldn't see myself there.

"I thought about what I liked at Florida and BC had all of that. Then I thought about what I didn't like and BC wasn't like that at all. I just compared them and BC had everything I wanted.

"In the recruiting process you want to feel wanted. BC made me really feel wanted. They've been recruiting me since the beginning of my sophomore year and the coaches at BC pushed me to the point where I see things clearly now."

Boyle went on to say that he is 100-percent committed to Boston College and will not visit any other schools between now and National Signing Day.

"Even if the number one team in the nation offers, I'm going to BC," Boyle said. "I like BC for reasons some people might not understand. It's a great school, a great program and it's in a great conference."

Boyle's relationship with Siravo and the rest of the coaches was a big factor in his decision to commit to the Eagles.

"We've got a great relationship," Boyle continued. "Me and that man spent a lot of hours on the phone. I've taken visits up there and feel extremely comfortable with the coaching staff. From Coach Spaz to Coach Martin, the new offensive coordinator, they're all just great.

"Coach Siravo has played a big role in my recruitment. He's a prime factor in why I love the university and he's a great guy. I've come to know him real well and I'm excited I get to spend the next five years with him."

He quickly elaborated on that statement. Boyle is open to spending five years at BC but he's not going in with that as his plan.

"I think if you go in thinking you're going to redshirt then you'll have lower standards for yourself," he explained. "I'm going in expecting to play, not redshirt. I want to work my tail off and get a spot on the depth chart. If they need me to redshirt then I'm going to do that. It will be something that's a mutual agreement between Coach Spaz and myself. But I'm going in to work hard."

Boyle is ranked the No. 21 pro-style quarterback in the nation. He received offers from UConn, Pitt and Syracuse in addition to BC and Florida.

http://bostoncollege.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1372902
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:18 pm

In light of this news, Gene will announce a contract extension for Spaz, shortly.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:24 pm

50/50 that article is the highlight of the season.

Also, I think Philly had mentioned this before and I wrongly disagreed, but it's nice to see a few kids out there who really love BC for BC, regardless of the situation right now.
31southst
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium