2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:32 pm

I wasn't arguing that Daz's situation is better than Jags... it isn't. I was just pointing out that I think the recruiting job Jags did while transitioning from the NFL was more impressive than most give him credit for.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:36 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:2) there was a lot of retention.

The only retention from TOB to Jags was Spaz and Guvs. Spaz didn't recruit (so his continued presense had little effect on recruits). Guvs is being retained again.

I think Jags walked into a very tough situation. You had the media talking aout how BC wasn't willing to pay TOB and how that's a sign we weren't committed to the program (which actually proved true). You had an out-going staff who (a) was immediately recruiting against you and (b) offered no help in terms of handing over recruiting information (phone numbers, evaluations, etc.). As I understand it, the only reason Jags had anyone's phone number was because then-grad assistant, now Giants QB coach Sean Ryan copied it all and gave it to GDF as Petercuskie was trying to delete the files.

Also, remember, Jags was still coaching the Packers and, as such, could not focus completely on the BC job. FURTHER, Jags had to pass some silly NCAA exam before even being allowed to talk to a recruit. Nonetheless, I think his ability to quickly put together a solid staff and recruit kids for the first time only AFTER the dead period was over is impressive. I just hope we are saying how impressed we are with Daz's shortened recruiting window.

Jags did a pretty good job. I think Spaz as the interim, even if he didn't recruit (was that true at that point? I know Spaz' coordinators didn't recruit much) had to help continuity in some fashion more than just McGovern would but more importantly I think McGovern would be just fine for continuing Spaz's 2013 class except that there were no targets remaining in it so there is nothing to continue.

I think Addazio has a worse situation than Jags though and I don't see how it can really be questioned. Jags inherited a 10-3 team with a ton of talent, sure there were some difficulties in the transition, there always are. It just was not nearly as bad as inheriting this 2-10 mess though. Even though there was a question to commitment which was fueled in very large part by TOB and some media sources speculated that BC's "success" to that point was because of O'Brien's herculean efforts, I don't think many expected us to become the Temple like program that Spaz allowed. BC football has become a regional joke (would be national if anyone gave a shit) and I just think that is a lot worse than any negative recruiting or sabotage by the TOB staff.

This. TOB's principal problems were that he didn't know how to take very good talent (which he recruited) and win a championship, and that he mailed it in when he butted heads with Gene and/or wasn't feeling the long term love from above. I have zero problem with his recruiting (when he tried) and his overall program stewardship (when he tried).

All of this culminated in a talent-laden team teed up for Jags and Logan, who both knew how to win with it. A billion times better than this abortion that Daziani is walking into. No matter how low his expectations are, he is going to be disappointed in how weak the talent is once he sees it live. Will he immediately not lose to an Army, and squeak out more wins against the wakes and MDs, maybe/probably? But to get us to 7-5 and above, and in contention for a Division crown, he will need multiple years of roster replenishment.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I wasn't arguing that Daz's situation is better than Jags... it isn't. I was just pointing out that I think the recruiting job Jags did while transitioning from the NFL was more impressive than most give him credit for.

Agreed.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:35 pm

This BC job required someone with a proven track record of building or re-building a football program in relatively short order. No offense to Daz, but he can't claim that on his resume. He inherited a great MAC team from Al Golden, won 9 games with it, then went 4-7 in the NBE.

For those who say BB went for the "safe" hire with Daz, I disagree. Hiring a guy with no proven capacity to build or rebuild as a HC, rather than someone with that experience -- like MacIntyre at SJST, Taggert at WKU, or Lembo at Ball State -- is incredibly risky. I hope the Dazzler is up to the task. Recruiting is a huge component, but not the only one.
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:44 pm

chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:This BC job required someone with a proven track record of building or re-building a football program in relatively short order. No offense to Daz, but he can't claim that on his resume. He inherited a great MAC team from Al Golden, won 9 games with it, then went 4-7 in the NBE.

For those who say BB went for the "safe" hire with Daz, I disagree. Hiring a guy with no proven capacity to build or rebuild as a HC, rather than someone with that experience -- like MacIntyre at SJST, Taggert at WKU, or Lembo at Ball State -- is incredibly risky. I hope the Dazzler is up to the task. Recruiting is a huge component, but not the only one.

TOB was hired into a similar position. He had no proven track record. His first 5ish years were good. For that matter there is a very long list of assistants with minimal program building experience who have had great runs, it's in another thread somewhere.

I would love to hear how Addazio is less risky of a hire than Taggert? I would agree that Taggert has a higher upside, but I think you are really pushing with that one as lower risk. I would have liked the Macintyre hire a lot more and the Lembo hire roughly equally.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:44 pm

chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:This BC job required someone with a proven track record of building or re-building a football program in relatively short order. No offense to Daz, but he can't claim that on his resume. He inherited a great MAC team from Al Golden, won 9 games with it, then went 4-7 in the NBE.

Is it just me or does The Dazzler sound like some sort of kinky sex toy?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:46 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Is it just me or does The Dazzler sound like some sort of kinky sex toy?

It's just you, perv
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:54 pm

The Dazzler and Tweety Bird are the chosen names a former board member has given Stank Daziani and Brad Bates. His intellectual property should be appropriately cited.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Penn State players can still transfer without penalty. Useful info for when BOB leaves.

Few players that come to mind.

Malik Golden and Akeel Lynch were recruited by BC

Jake Kiley is someone Addazio would probably take a look at.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby joesim on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:29 pm

whats the recruiting notebook say?
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Kevin Maurice seems to be blowing up, just got a Nebraska offer and is favoring Wake at the moment. It's probably time to kiss this one goodbye. :pickle :orca :pickle
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 am

To Update the Michael Julian situation...

Boston College, Illinois, Toledo, and Wisconsin were Julian's top schools at this point, with Marshall, North Carolina State, and Utah State still in the mix.

Sounds to me like Wisconsin is the leader at this point. I heard Utah State was Julian's top choice when Peterson was still there.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Kevin Maurice seems to be blowing up, just got a Nebraska offer and is favoring Wake at the moment. It's probably time to kiss this one goodbye. :pickle :orca :pickle

Uhhhh.....WAKE? Who the hell would favor Wake?
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:31 pm

BCEagles66 {l Wrote}:
Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Kevin Maurice seems to be blowing up, just got a Nebraska offer and is favoring Wake at the moment. It's probably time to kiss this one goodbye. :pickle :orca :pickle

Uhhhh.....WAKE? Who the hell would favor Wake?

i would

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:19 pm

Kevin Maurice to Cornhusker land. He must like shucking corn. :lame
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Kevin Maurice to Cornhusker land. He must like shucking corn. :lame

I don't know why, I was just never on board with him. His highlight film never impressed me. Seems like a decent loss though :/
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby gaelfu on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:39 am

Look at Daz the recruiting wunderkind closing on all of these new targets!
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:16 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:Look at Daz the recruiting wunderkind closing on all of these new targets!

I think the staff stopped legitimately pursuing Maurice after they got Montgommery on board. For all of the faults of the previous recruiting thesis, this was one that was actually executed decently (as was Jaxon Hood last year as he was identified and received additional interest later in his process), that being going after a legit prospect to fill a spot and having a good under the radar guy on the back burner in case option A was no longer available. FWIW, Maurice was VERY high on BC for a long time.

Obviously this goes back to :spaz2 settling on a bunch of borderline guys with no additional offers early that prevent us from having room for Montgommery and Maurice.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:56 pm

Don't think they really wanted Maurice all that much. Also I've said it before the time to start really seeing what Addazio is made of will be the 2014 class.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:05 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Don't think they really wanted Maurice all that much. Also I've said it before the time to start really seeing what Addazio is made of will be the 2014 class.

I don't have high hopes for that class. Partly because of the state of BC Football left behind by Spaz and partly because I don't think Daziani will be able to get it done.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:10 pm

Btw working on my 2014 thread at the moment. A lot of NE talent in the '14 and '15 classes.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby UK Eagle on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Michael Julian met with BC today. Heading off to Wisconsin next, both according to his twitter feed.
UK Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby UK Eagle on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:32 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Btw working on my 2014 thread at the moment. A lot of NE talent in the '14 and '15 classes.

For 2014, offers out to:

MELVIN KEIHN, DE/WR, Gilman - Baltimore, MD
KIY HESTER, DB/WR, St joseph Regional - Montvale, NJ
JOSEPH KRAEMER, DE/LB, Archbishop Alter - Kettering, OH (No offer but has visited)

All according to Prepforce.com
UK Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:24 am

EA article on a 2014 guy mentions that DE Kiser Terry (prep guy/current Temple commit) might end up at BC.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:40 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Don't think they really wanted Maurice all that much. Also I've said it before the time to start really seeing what Addazio is made of will be the 2014 class.

I don't have high hopes for that class. Partly because of the state of BC Football left behind by Spaz and partly because I don't think Daziani will be able to get it done.

If the 2014 class isn't at least on the level of the 2010 or 2011 classes (pretty mediocre over all but some good gets over other BCS programs) then Addazio has failed his first test and I give him very little chance at even mediocrity. I think they have a very, very tough sell right now, but I think they will be able to do it so long as they disassociate the program from the disaster era, win a little bit in 2013 and the defense plays the style Brown's have at other stops. I'm much more concerned about what they do in the 2015 class if we are back to being abysmal due to the basically empty 2012 and 2013 classes becoming more significant portions of the roster (assuming we have a semi decent crappy bowl type 2013 season).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 am

31southst {l Wrote}:EA article on a 2014 guy mentions that DE Kiser Terry (prep guy/current Temple commit) might end up at BC.

Looks like he commited to temple in 2011 then attended Milford Academy this past year (wonder if academics were an issue). 6'3 245 DE.

Out of HS had offers from Temple, Iowa, and SUNJ and ea gave him 3*. Would he be a 2014 or 2013 ? His original class was 2012 out of high school, and he played last year at Milford. Would he do another prep year and be a 2014 or sign and immediately come in next season ?
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:EA article on a 2014 guy mentions that DE Kiser Terry (prep guy/current Temple commit) might end up at BC.

Looks like he commited to temple in 2011 then attended Milford Academy this past year (wonder if academics were an issue). 6'3 245 DE.

Out of HS had offers from Temple, Iowa, and SUNJ and ea gave him 3*. Would he be a 2014 or 2013 ? His original class was 2012 out of high school, and he played last year at Milford. Would he do another prep year and be a 2014 or sign and immediately come in next season ?

Listed as 2013 but this is based on an offhand comment of a 2014 recruit so who really knows.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Syracuse Commits w/ BC offers
3* RB Augustus Brown
3* FB Tyler Provo

Temple Commits w/ BC offer
3* OLB Buddy Brown
3* ILB Jarred Alwan

Daz can try to poach these kids
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:39 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Syracuse Commits w/ BC offers
3* RB Augustus Brown
3* FB Tyler Provo

3* OLB Buddy Brown
3* ILB Jarred Alwan

Buddy Brown would be a HUGE commit. I don't think he's leaving though...he said he'd stay if Rhule was hired.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Syracuse Commits w/ BC offers
3* RB Augustus Brown
3* FB Tyler Provo

3* OLB Buddy Brown
3* ILB Jarred Alwan

Buddy Brown would be a HUGE commit. I don't think he's leaving though...he said he'd stay if Rhule was hired.

Just saying but there's a reason Brown ended up with Temple. Now Augustas Edwards on the other hand I'd take in a heartbeat.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium