Penn State

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Penn State

Postby ryrob on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:49 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Sounds like PSU needs to clean up their program...I wonder if they'd be interested in a PSU grad with 3 years experience as a BCS-level HC and another decade as a successful DC?

Or possibly a new AD good at leading programs through self-created turmoil?
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby ryrob on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The Grad Asst is likely a kid one year removed from college. He went to JoePa for guidance. Saint Joe opted to handle it internally. That's what the GA learned from Papa Paterno. Bottom line here is that this is on JoePa and the AD. And give me a fucking break with this "Joe did nothing wrong since he reported it to his boss". The AD ain't his boss. The AD serves at Joe's approval. At no point could the AD fire JoePa. The AD at PSU is an administrator in the truest sense of the world. The punishment has all the hallmarks of JoePa. The police weren't contacted becaus JoePa did not want them contacted.

Yeah, pretty sure you don't need to even graduate college to report sexual assault that you witness personally.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Absolutely disgusting
Last edited by hansen on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The Grad Asst is likely a kid one year removed from college. He went to JoePa for guidance. Saint Joe opted to handle it internally. That's what the GA learned from Papa Paterno. Bottom line here is that this is on JoePa and the AD. And give me a fucking break with this "Joe did nothing wrong since he reported it to his boss". The AD ain't his boss. The AD serves at Joe's approval. At no point could the AD fire JoePa. The AD at PSU is an administrator in the truest sense of the world. The punishment has all the hallmarks of JoePa. The police weren't contacted becaus JoePa did not want them contacted.

If JoPa told the kid not to go to the police, then fine. But bottom line is that the GA is an adult, not a kid, and he is the witness and should have gone to the police regardless of what JoPa told him.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:10 pm

I think there was probably a lot more shit going on at Penn State and they are all guilty for letting it go on as long as it did.

The first complaint against Sandusky came in 1996. There was another one in 1998. The GA caught him having having sex with a 10-year-old boy in Penn State showers in 2002! JoePa clearly knew about the previous complaints. Assuming he trusted the GA to some extent, they should have gone to the police. According to reports today Sandusky owned up to being the shower with the kid to the AD but said no sex and that got him banned from Campus. Now regardless of how great the guy was or the harm it might cause the school or if he denied sexual contact, admitting that he showered with the kid should have been enough for a call to child protective services. They felt strongly enough to ban him from campus.

And as HJS alluded to, there have also been rumors about Tom Bradley's personal life (supposedly one of the reasons he's never gotten a head coaching job).

This will be the end of JoePa and probably means that they will go outside the family for a new head coach. I don't think you can promote JayPa or bring in Golden or Schiano or anyone else who might have known that Sandusky liked to rape prepubescent boys in Penn State's locker room.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:13 pm

It is always good when bad things happen to the PSU's of the world. The only down side is that now Joe Pa may not be able to had off the job to his half-wit son.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Just read the Grand Jury indictment. Shit had been happening on campus over the course of a decade before he resigned. A janitor in 2000 saw him blow a 12-year-old in the shower and reported it to his superior. The shit was clearly known by everyone (especially JoePa). I think Schiano and Golden are sufficiently removed from this that they could be candidates. That said, I was really hoping that PSU was going to hire JayPa and then get to suck like we do with Spaz.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:46 pm

As I said last week, it's time to take JoePa out back
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:As I said last week, it's time to take JoePa out back

It would be great if he could take his favorite QB-turned-DE with him.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bosa90 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:00 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I think there was probably a lot more shit going on at Penn State and they are all guilty for letting it go on as long as it did.

The first complaint against Sandusky came in 1996. There was another one in 1998. The GA caught him having having sex with a 10-year-old boy in Penn State showers in 2002! JoePa clearly knew about the previous complaints. Assuming he trusted the GA to some extent, they should have gone to the police. According to reports today Sandusky owned up to being the shower with the kid to the AD but said no sex and that got him banned from Campus. Now regardless of how great the guy was or the harm it might cause the school or if he denied sexual contact, admitting that he showered with the kid should have been enough for a call to child protective services. They felt strongly enough to ban him from campus.

And as HJS alluded to, there have also been rumors about Tom Bradley's personal life (supposedly one of the reasons he's never gotten a head coaching job).

This will be the end of JoePa and probably means that they will go outside the family for a new head coach. I don't think you can promote JayPa or bring in Golden or Schiano or anyone else who might have known that Sandusky liked to rape prepubescent boys in Penn State's locker room.

This is unbelievable. There have been many news stories about JoePa in the past decade. How come none of them talked about any of this???? Wasn't there a 60 minutes piece?? Wow.

And what are the rumors about Bradley?

:dildodog
bosa90
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:13 pm

bosa90 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I think there was probably a lot more shit going on at Penn State and they are all guilty for letting it go on as long as it did.

This is unbelievable. There have been many news stories about JoePa in the past decade. How come none of them talked about any of this???? Wasn't there a 60 minutes piece?? Wow.

And what are the rumors about Bradley?

At the risk that one of Gene's minions will make a referral to PSU, let's just say...Not that there is anything wrong with that.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bumpers on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:02 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If JoPa told the kid not to go to the police, then fine. But bottom line is that the GA is an adult, not a kid, and he is the witness and should have gone to the police regardless of what JoPa told him.

Wrong, unless PA law is still in the 1800s. Most states have statutes making all educational personnel mandatory reporters of "reasonable belief" of abuse of a minor. That specifically does not permit a mandatory reporter to claim that receipt of a first hand account, as hearsay to the mandatory reporter, is free to claim a lack of reasonable belief because he didn't see it himself or the that the declarant lacks credibility until the claim can be independently verified. You hear ir, you report it to the police - that's the law in every state as far as I know and assume.

If the GA told Joe Pa, Jo Pa was a mandatory reporter under most states' mandatory reporter laws, and should have been legally obligated to report to he police.

Having handled these cases on both the criminal and civil end of things in Illiois, I can authoritatively state that if PA's law is anyhing like IL's, JoPa couldnhave been charged with a felony ifbthe incident happened within the last three years. It may be that the only thing saving a lot of these pieces of sh!t who sat on the reports is that the statutes of limitation for the criminal charges have expired.

You can bet, though, some pretty hefty civil suits are coming PSU's way.
Last edited by Bumpers on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:05 am

There's probably only room for 1 on this lifeboat, if that, and JoePa is going to get it. They'll throw everyone under the bus - ADs, other coaches, University Presidents, hell, Rendell and Corbett if it will save Paterno's reputation.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby bosa90 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:36 am

Bumpers {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Wrong, unless PA law is still in the 1800s. Most states have statutes making all educational personnel mandatory reporters of "reasonable belief" of abuse of a minor. That specifically does not permit a mandatory reporter to claim that receipt of a first hand account, as hearsay to the mandatory reporter, is free to claim a lack of reasonable belief because he didn't see it himself or the that the declarant lacks credibility until the claim can be independently verified. You hear ir, you report it to the police - that's the law in every state as far as I know and assume.

If the GA told Joe Pa, Jo Pa was a mandatory reporter under most states' mandatory reporter laws, and should have been legally obligated to report to he police.

Having handled these cases on both the criminal and civil end of things in Illiois, I can authoritatively state that if PA's law is anyhing like IL's, JoPa couldnhave been charged with a felony ifbthe incident happened within the last three years. It may be that the only thing saving a lot of these pieces of sh!t who sat on the reports is that the statutes of limitation for the criminal charges have expired.

What would trigger, and what would toll, the statutes of limitations here? My view is that PSU is far from out of the woods on criminal charges, based on what I have read, but I don't know much about this stuff.

bosa90
McGuinn Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:41 am

Bumpers {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's some good lawyering, Lou.

Fucking despicable. Absolutely shameful and disgutiad. Paterno should be dragged out to the 50 yard line and strangled. What the fuck is wrong with people? Jesus.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:33 am

I don't understand how people can do this shit first off, and those who get a whiff of it don't do everything they can to end it and protect the kids. The big reason I don't go to church on Sundays.
This is disgusting. Paterno's almost as guilty as being in the showers with the kid.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:28 am

I read the first few pages of the grand jury presentment. I don't recommend reading it.

It was very disturbing.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:42 am

Just did; stopped with the rape (that's what it is) of the 10-year old in the shower. Yes, that is very disturbing.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:19 am

I think I made it to about page 6 of the indictment. Enjoy GenPop, Sandusky.

By the way, this is his autobiography:

apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:22 am

Bumpers {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Well said.

Not to mention, that JoePa's behavior was objectively and morally wrong.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:27 am

You should all stop rushing to judgement, Assholes!

This is all just hearsay at this point. You guys are idiots. Fools.

Signed,
Rob Sandusky
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:11 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:You should all stop rushing to judgement, Assholes!

This is all just hearsay at this point. You guys are idiots. Fools.

Signed,
Rob Sandusky

p and s. can TRE get me the contact information for these guys?

fixed
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Bumpers on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:24 am

bosa90 {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

What would trigger, and what would toll, the statutes of limitations here? My view is that PSU is far from out of the woods on criminal charges, based on what I have read, but I don't know much about this stuff.

Criminal statutes of limitation run unless someone leaves the jurisdiction, or the crime is specifically exepted from any SOL term (i.e., murder, arson, forgery). Some extended limitations periods exist, though, to accomodate realitites of the nature of the crime or the victim. For example, in most states the SOL for a sex crime against a minor is extended for a substantial period after the victim reaches the age of majority, usually 18, and not calculated from the date of the abuse, which is why you can have the abuser prosecuted long after the crime was committed. However, a mandatory reporter who fails to report will only be the subject of prosecution of the violation if it occurred within three years of when the charges were initiated (at least under Illinois law - I don't know what the SOL felony term is in PA, though I don't kow of any tolling provisions that would apply to keep the SOL clock from running).
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:14 am

Bumpers {l Wrote}:
bosa90 {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Criminal statutes of limitation run unless someone leaves the jurisdiction, or the crime is specifically exepted from any SOL term (i.e., murder, arson, forgery). Some extended limitations periods exist, though, to accomodate realitites of the nature of the crime or the victim. For example, in most states the SOL for a sex crime against a minor is extended for a substantial period after the victim reaches the age of majority, usually 18, and not calculated from the date of the abuse, which is why you can have the abuser prosecuted long after the crime was committed. However, a mandatory reporter who fails to report will only be the subject of prosecution of the violation if it occurred within three years of when the charges were initiated (at least under Illinois law - I don't know what the SOL felony term is in PA, though I don't kow of any tolling provisions that would apply to keep the SOL clock from running).

Any idea why Paterno wouldn't have been indicted? Or the GA for that matter? From my limited knowledge of the Mandatory Reporter rules (all coming secondhand from the teacher ladyfriend), isn't any educational institution employee obligated?

Edit: Found this

(c) Staff members of institutions, etc.--Whenever a person is required to report under subsection (b) in the capacity as a member of the staff of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility or agency, that person shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school, facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge. Upon notification, the person in charge or the designated agent, if any, shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made in accordance with section 6313.

So I guess, legally obligated? No. Morally obligate to follow up? Obviously, but unlike some people, I"m not going to jump to conclusions because who knows what he was told by Curley and Schultz regarding the investigation or lack thereof.
Last edited by ryrob on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:16 am

This whole mess seems likely woven into the PSU administration, and perhaps better explains why Joe Pa is still coaching (as of 11/6/11 at 11:13 am). What a crappy deal with the devil, each of those who have covered each others tracks. As one who used to admire Paterno, back in the 70's 80"s etc, because I thought he was running big time football in the proper context, this makes me puke. It is not unlike any organization, where authority is granted to a King, and his powers go unchecked.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby nerd on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:32 am

does anybody think that they'll kick Penn State out of the Big 10? And would the ACC be willing to take them?
nerd
Carney Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:38 pm

The GA is Mike McQueary, the ginger assistant who's still with the team. He was 28 years old when he witnessed the rape, so it's not like he was some poor naive kid. And after 2002, he had to have seen Sandusky hanging campus around with kids, and he did nothing to stop him.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/report_former_coach_jerry_sand.html
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby soulhunter on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Under Pa Law

§ 6311. Persons required to report suspected child abuse.
(a) General rule.--A person who, in the course of
employment, occupation or practice of a profession, comes into
contact with children shall report or cause a report to be made
in accordance with section 6313 (relating to reporting
procedure) when the person has reasonable cause to suspect, on
the basis of medical, professional or other training and
experience, that a child under the care, supervision, guidance
or training of that person or of an agency, institution,
organization or other entity with which that person is
affiliated is a victim of child abuse, including child abuse by
an individual who is not a perpetrator.

Not 100% that Joe Pa would be covered under a mandatory reporter law here, as i don't know if a College Coach would be considered to come into contact with childeren in the course of his employement.

But assuming Joe Pa is covered under section 6311, he did everything he was required to under the law.

(c) Staff members of institutions, etc.--Whenever a person
is required to report under subsection (b) in the capacity as a
member of the staff of a medical or other public or private
institution, school, facility or agency, that person shall
immediately notify the person in charge of the institution,
school, facility or agency or the designated agent of the person
in charge. Upon notification, the person in charge or the
designated agent, if any, shall assume the responsibility and
have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made
in accordance with section 6313.

From my understanding, Joe Pa did report his concerns to his boss. It was then his bosses legal obligation to file the appropriate reports to the authorities.

Hence to answer the question as to why there was no criminal Indictment of Joe Pa, its most likely because he didn't break any laws. Finally, a failure to report under PA law is only a misdemeanor of the third degree, a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $5,000, or imprisonment not exceeding 90 days, or both
soulhunter
n00b

Postby SeaCaptim on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Agree with Campion. Hope everyone supports Joe Pa's great legacy, now that we know he did everything to protect innocent kids.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Bumpers {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

How is JoPa a mandatory reporter? The prepubescent kid wasn't a student at PSU. If all educators are mandatory reporters regardless of whether the kid is under your care, then fine, you are right. I'm no expert on child law, I just thought that the abused had to be in your care for you to be a mandatory reporter, for example say the child's teacher or doctor.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium