Penn State

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Penn State

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:23 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Nevin Shapiro the little twerp who pimped for the players at Miami looks like an altar boy now, uuuum maybe thats not a good metaphor.

Just think about Sandusky & Nevin sharing a cell, they might never want to come out!

A university tacitly sanctioning large-scale raping of children is so much worse than cheating that it's not even worth comparing. This isn't just the biggest and most grotesque scandal in the history of collegiate sports; it's the worst scandal in the history of US sports.

According to some, it's still when Swofford put a horse's head in Traghese's sheets...

fucking traders

Speaking of which, a former regular poster here outed himself today.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=165&f=4286&t=8208094
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:23 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:That applies to students who chose a school that required an internship. I'm not sure how much clearer to make it. Keep talking to yourself, though.

You mean like medical or dental students? Just ponder if we didn't have those, because clinicals became illegal. That would be bad.

If they became illegal, the jobs wouldn't exist because they were only created for illegals.

Just imagine the lawsuits. Eagle9903 and Civil would get an even bigger windfall from that than they will from the PSU scandal.

I'm a very bad pretend lawyer.

You're a bad pretend lawyer...but are you a half-decent real lawyer?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:24 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:unpaid work is in violation to the US Constitution. The students upset about their loans have no one to blame but themselves. They picked those schools and asked for the loans. They didn't have to do that. There are a myriad of options. Hell, Newt Gingrich told every student in America (everyone that was watching the GOP debate last night) how to go to an accredited university and graduate without a penny of loan debt, and they do that regardless of their financial situation at home and without a penny from the government.

This is not fact, this is opinion. Sometimes you forget there is a distinction.

And stop saying "unpaid work" like unpaid internships are the only form of unpaid work. The terms are not synonymous.

pedro, if they are fetching a cup of coffee for anyone, they are working

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:The students upset about their loans have no one to blame but themselves. They picked those schools and asked for the loans. They didn't have to do that. There are a myriad of options.

That applies to students who chose a school that required an internship. I'm not sure how much clearer to make it. Keep talking to yourself, though.

let me make this even clearer, a school that requires unpaid internship is requiring something they have no legal right to require, certainly not if it means that if you choose not to intern you forfeit graduation
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:24 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Nevin Shapiro the little twerp who pimped for the players at Miami looks like an altar boy now, uuuum maybe thats not a good metaphor.

Just think about Sandusky & Nevin sharing a cell, they might never want to come out!

A university tacitly sanctioning large-scale raping of children is so much worse than cheating that it's not even worth comparing. This isn't just the biggest and most grotesque scandal in the history of collegiate sports; it's the worst scandal in the history of US sports.

According to some, it's still when Swofford put a horse's head in Traghese's sheets...

fucking traders

no he didn't, he just doesn't know how to quote. see http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2873&t=8231352
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:26 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:That applies to students who chose a school that required an internship. I'm not sure how much clearer to make it. Keep talking to yourself, though.

You mean like medical or dental students? Just ponder if we didn't have those, because clinicals became illegal. That would be bad.

If they became illegal, the jobs wouldn't exist because they were only created for illegals.

Just imagine the lawsuits. Eagle9903 and Civil would get an even bigger windfall from that than they will from the PSU scandal.

Nah, they'd vanish, just like Marty McFly's totally hetero sister.

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:27 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

I'm a very bad pretend lawyer.

You're a bad pretend lawyer...but are you a half-decent real lawyer?

No, I'm to informal. Judges don't like motions that began: And now come the Defendants and shit.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:27 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

fucking traders

no he didn't, he just doesn't know how to quote. see http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2873&t=8231352

Damnit.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:29 pm

This thread gave me potato aids.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:29 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:unpaid work is in violation to the US Constitution. The students upset about their loans have no one to blame but themselves. They picked those schools and asked for the loans. They didn't have to do that. There are a myriad of options. Hell, Newt Gingrich told every student in America (everyone that was watching the GOP debate last night) how to go to an accredited university and graduate without a penny of loan debt, and they do that regardless of their financial situation at home and without a penny from the government.

This is not fact, this is opinion. Sometimes you forget there is a distinction.

And stop saying "unpaid work" like unpaid internships are the only form of unpaid work. The terms are not synonymous.

pedro, if they are fetching a cup of coffee for anyone, they are working

So you're completely ignoring there are other forms of unpaid work?

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:The students upset about their loans have no one to blame but themselves. They picked those schools and asked for the loans. They didn't have to do that. There are a myriad of options.

That applies to students who chose a school that required an internship. I'm not sure how much clearer to make it. Keep talking to yourself, though.

let me make this even clearer, a school that requires unpaid internship is requiring something they have no legal right to require, certainly not if it means that if you choose not to intern you forfeit graduation

show me the legal standard that makes it illegal to require unpaid internships payment for internships. we've been through all this. let me make it simple for you - it doesn't exist.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm waiting for my link.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:32 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:unpaid work is in violation to the US Constitution.

link me

this would be an interesting link since at the time the constitution was signed slavery was legal and encouraged

depends on which nonexistent amendment we're talking about, durr
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Do graduate assistants get paid? Is it possible that McQueary was a slave when he witnessed the rape? Doesn't the Constitution say that the testimony of a slave is inadmissible? Are we all lynching a poor old man because he didn't take allegations made by a lowly slave seriously?
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:45 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:I'm waiting for my link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

If a university REQUIRES an internship for graduation, and there isn't one to be had that is PAID, and the school tells you that you can not GRADUATE without internship credit (thereby forcing you to intern) that would be involuntary servitude.

If you pay to take a class, that is one thing. You are not serving anyone. You are being served. And internship, you are serving. You must volunteer to do that.

Unpaid internships are criminal (for a university requiring them for graduation) if you don't volunteer to do them. You have a case. You can sue, and you might even win. Best thing the school should do is never require them.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCFAN94 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:46 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:How do the PA residents feel about the hundreds of millions of dollars (at least?) in civil liability that their state now likely has?

Been a while since I was in law school, and this isn't my area of practice, but doesn't the 11th amendment keep the state off the hook?

Short answer, kind of but not really. Waived immunity and shit. I think.

Wow, this is ground breaking are you sure your just a lawyer and not a higher court justice? I especially like the use of the phrase "immunity and shit"....very lawyerly. You might have a case against the law school who printed your diploma. Just sayin'

You are the worst poster on the board by a very large margin.

You are the worst pretend lawyer on the board by even a larger margin and shit.

Your funny. I'd imagine you're a very likable person with a fulfilling life.

I don't usually spend much time pondering anonymous message posters in real life but to each his own.

It's not a time consuming process. You try hard to be funny, or to have edgy or contrary opinions. You're painfully unfunny and you stink at arguing. There is occasionally an unintentionally humorous moment when I read one of your posts and it is obvious you thought it would be well received.

It never is.

Thanks but unfortunately I find your insight about as useful as your legal opinion.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Mods, please change the title of this thread to: child rape potato AIDS ginger intern slavery dago lawyer lynch mob.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:47 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

If a university REQUIRES an internship for graduation, and there isn't one to be had that is PAID, and the school tells you that you can not GRADUATE without internship credit (thereby forcing you to intern) that would be involuntary servitude.

If you pay to take a class, that is one thing. You are not serving anyone. You are being served. And internship, you are serving.

Unpaid internships are criminal (for a university requiring them for graduation) if you don't want to do them. You have a case. You can sue, and you might even win.

Who is forcing you to go to the university in the first place? Also, I took a few classes at BC where I feel I was not served (Business & Society, Social Problems... ). Should I sue Monan?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:50 pm

If you pay to take a class, that is one thing. You are not serving anyone. You are being served. And internship, you are serving. You must volunteer to do that.

Unpaid internships are criminal (for a university requiring them for graduation) if you don't volunteer to do them. You have a case. You can sue, and you might even win. Best thing the school should do is never require them.

That addresses slavery, not voluntary internships.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:50 pm

You are a certified lunatic. No one in your situation was forced into servitude, they just didn't like something they agreed to after they didn't get what they expected...sounds a lot like some Occupying Crybabies.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Nospace, do you know what slavery is?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:55 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

If you pay to take a class, that is one thing. You are not serving anyone. You are being served. And internship, you are serving.

Unpaid internships are criminal (for a university requiring them for graduation) if you don't want to do them. You have a case. You can sue, and you might even win.

Who is forcing you to go to the university in the first place?

No one. They are forcing you to serve involuntarily if you want to graduate.

I have no problem with the internship being optional. If you haven't any self-respect and you feel you need to schlep some old fuck his coffee at whatever bullshit journalism outfit you are slaving away at, be my guest. I wouldn't do it. But I have self-esteem.

My problem is the graduation requirement associated with the schleping of the coffee.

Now the kids take some responsibility here. They should be able to read the core requirements for the BA/BS at age 17 while still in high school. Even still, the internship credit mandate is still in violation of law. Its kind of like minimum wage: even if you agree to work for less than minimum, it doesn't mean your employer is off the hook if you want to sue. They broke the law and you must be made whole. We have these laws on the books to protect the irresponsible for their lack of self-respect and their own incompetence.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Deja vu all over again. Ugh.

IB, do you need to have "the law" explained to you again? Because you're just plain dead wrong. Try to separate fact and opinion in your posts - it bolsters one's credibility.
Last edited by Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:57 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Nospace, do you know what slavery is?

Yeah.

Do you know what involuntary servitude is?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:57 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Who is forcing you to go to the university in the first place?

No one. They are forcing you to serve involuntarily if you want to graduate.

I have no problem with the internship being optional. If you haven't any self-respect and you feel you need to schlep some old fuck his coffee at whatever bullshit journalism outfit you are slaving away at, be my guest. I wouldn't do it. But I have self-esteem.

My problem is the graduation requirement associated with the schleping of the coffee.

Now the kids take some responsibility here. They should be able to read the core requirements for the BA/BS at age 17 while still in high school. Even still, the internship credit mandate is still in violation of law. Its kind of like minimum wage: even if you agree to work for less than minimum, it doesn't mean your employer is off the hook if you want to sue. They broke the law and you must be made whole. We have these laws on the books to protect the irresponsible for their lack of self-respect and their own incompetence.

Not surprisingly you've now gone full circle:

Unpaid internships are illegal.
Why?
Because they are slavery.
But no one is forced into that situation against their will.
Well they break the law.
What law?
The law against slavery.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:58 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Nospace, do you know what slavery is?

Yeah.

Do you know what involuntary servitude is?

If I were a freed slave, I'd be bullshit at your suggestion that a voluntary unpaid internship is the same as slavery. I'd also be bullshit at your assertion that higher education is an inalienable right. Oh, the ironing.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:00 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:My problem is the graduation requirement associated with the schleping of the coffee.

About the only thing you may have a point on. If the internship does not produce value to the intern, then this may be a problem (as everyone here has acknowledged). Problem is that the vast majority of internships DO bestow a benefit on the intern.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:04 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}: If you haven't any self-respect and you feel you need to schlep some old fuck his coffee at whatever bullshit journalism outfit you are slaving away at, be my guest.

It was the motherfucking Globe and I got paid more than minimum wage.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:05 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}: If you haven't any self-respect and you feel you need to schlep some old fuck his coffee at whatever bullshit journalism outfit you are slaving away at, be my guest.

What about when you covered legion baseball in Milfudd?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:07 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

What about when you covered legion baseball in Milfudd?

I never did that. I covered town hall meetings in Hopedale, school board meetings in Upton, bake sales in Shrewsbury, county court in Worcester and human interest stories in the greater MetroWest area, though. and I got paid.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:14 pm

1) although i never read all 88 pages of it, this thread seems to be approaching a bruins weirdos level
ii) why does nospace hate the unpaid internship so much? he is so passionate about it... but why? is there some story from his lifetime he is withholding?
c) trying to follow nospace's arguments give me a headache.. maybe it is the consequence of being stuck in a logic box.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:19 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:Would Dred Scott have to pay out of state tuition if he matriculated at the University of Wisconsin? What if his master took him back to Missouri. Could he attend Mizzou on instate tuition?

i bet he would have stopped in east st louis for the sauget ballet

My question for IB is this: if a slave owner made a slave go to college that required an unpaid internship would that be a bad thing?

fixed
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium