Penn State

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Penn State

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:04 pm

How do the PA residents feel about the hundreds of millions of dollars (at least?) in civil liability that their state now likely has?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:07 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:How do the PA residents feel about the hundreds of millions of dollars (at least?) in civil liability that their state now likely has?

They probably would have wasted it elsewhere, but I'm not entirely indifferent. Slight annoyance I guess.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:How do the PA residents feel about the hundreds of millions of dollars (at least?) in civil liability that their state now likely has?

They probably would have wasted it elsewhere, but I'm not entirely indifferent. Slight annoyance I guess.

Have you considered relocating your practice to State College?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:10 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Not really. No.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:11 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Not really. No.

It could be very lucrative, ambulance chaser.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:12 pm

Does PSU want to sell some land to cover the victims' fund? BC could buy it for pennies on the dollar and DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WITH IT.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:14 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Does PSU want to sell some land to cover the victims' fund? BC could buy it for pennies on the dollar and DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WITH IT.

We could build our baseball stadium there.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:18 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

We could build our baseball stadium there.

The runoff pollution could kill off the squirrels (our best athletes) but could also take out some pederasses.

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:52 pm

They got rid of the ice cream.....

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_creamery_pulls_jerr.html

Prior to the flavor's removal from the creamery website, The Big Lead got a screen grab of the ingredients. Sandusky Blitz was described as a "banana-flavored ice cream with chocolate-covered peanuts and caramel swirl."

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/11/05/penn-state-makes-a-banana-flavored-jerry-sandusky-ice-cream/

Everyone knew what he was. That is why they named this ice cream this way.

How long before we find out Sandusky was molested as a child?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:54 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:They got rid of the ice cream.....

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_creamery_pulls_jerr.html

Prior to the flavor's removal from the creamery website, The Big Lead got a screen grab of the ingredients. Sandusky Blitz was described as a "banana-flavored ice cream with chocolate-covered peanuts and caramel swirl."

Hasn't the PSU community been punished enough already?

or

I just hope they notified Sandusky Blitz in person and not over the phone.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:55 pm

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/11/05/penn-state-makes-a-banana-flavored-jerry-sandusky-ice-cream/

Please extrapolate on how selecting a banana flavored ice cream with chocolate-covered peanuts and caramel swirl indicates the manufacturer's knowledge of its namesake's pedophilia?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:55 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Please extrapolate on how selecting a banana flavored ice cream with chocolate-covered peanuts and caramel swirl indicates the manufacturer's knowledge of its namesake's pedophilia?

look at the image of the ice cream. it is in link #2
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Banana ice cream? :puke
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:58 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Banana ice cream? :puke

PSU creamery actually makes some fucking delicious ice cream. That is one of the positive byproducts of having a shitload of cows. Don't hate, BRO.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:59 pm

banana partially

mostly it was the phallic way of inverting the cone over the third scoop of ice cream and the two scoops hanging just below it

on the menu it read "the only ice cream where you don't have to order the nuts"

he was molested.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:06 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:How long before we find out Sandusky was molested as a child?

In 50% the time.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:07 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

PSU creamery actually makes some fucking delicious ice cream. That is one of the positive byproducts of having a shitload of cows. Don't hate, BRO.

Not doubting the quality of ice cream, but banana ice cream? :puke

BRO, CHILL
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:08 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

banana partially

mostly it was the phallic way of inverting the cone over the third scoop of ice cream and the two scoops hanging just below it

on the menu it read "the only ice cream where you don't have to order the nuts"

he was molested.

maybe he should sue his mortgage bank for not disclosing that it was wrong to diddle kids in the shower

tre, there is going to be a whole lot of people being sued by the families of these kids. there is big bucks available here for these kids being violated since pretty much everyone knew what Sandusky was and what he was doing
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:08 pm

well, he's clearly 50% ghey...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Been a while since I was in law school, and this isn't my area of practice, but doesn't the 11th amendment keep the state off the hook?
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Add this...

20 year old film student walks into the Film School department office: "It says here I have to complete an intership for credit. I can't find one that pays. What should I do?"

Secretary says: "Let me call the department head." a minute passes "She'll see you now."

20 year old film student: "I can find an unpaid internship, but I need money if I am going to work. So I am not willing to do that. What can I take for classes instead of this internship."

Department Head: "Hmmmm. I think we have a little problem here. You see, when you applied to this college at this university 3 years ago, you agreed to the sylabus. So if you ever want to actually graduate, you are compelled to do an intership."

20 year old film student: "But they wont pay me anything, and I have to pay YOU for my time on the intership."

Department Head: "That is your problem."

Although not technically a "slave" the student doesn't have leverage here. He or she already screwed up royal when he or she picked the wrong major, not they are boxed in. At this point, the student SHOULD seek legal council and sue the crap out of the school. But, the kid is only 20 and doesn't know any better.

20 year old film student : "I am sick and tired of fetching everyone coffee. Why do I have to do this?"

Assistant Director: "Look kid, this is the way it works. I had to do it. You can quit, but then I'll call your school and you'll get no intern credit. I'll take mine black with sugar this time."

This is called, no self-respect. It is also criminal on behalf of the film studio. I call that kid a slave, you can call him or her anything you want.

Nothing says personal responsibility like suing an institution because YOU made a mistake and don't like it a couple years later!

That is basically, the OWS protest/movement. We have a whole bunch of kids who made terrible mistakes and (a couple years later) want someone else to make them whole. Or we have grown-ups who turned their houses into ATMs (another stupid mistake) and now that they are upside down and can't refinance out of their ever increasing interest rate, they want someone else to make them whole.

In sum:

You are FOR bailing out students who agreed to take on debt and do internships because they didn't know what they were getting into but
You are AGAINST bailing out students who agreed to take on debt and didn't know what they were getting into because it's not someone else's job to make them whole for their mistakes

incorrect

you don't bail out the students with their loans. they need to pay those off

but you don't require them to do anymore unpaid internships to get their degree.

Recalling that you said this about the internship scenario (it's above): "At this point, the student SHOULD seek legal council and sue the crap out of the school. But, the kid is only 20 and doesn't know any better." What is the student suing for? Pride?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:19 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Been a while since I was in law school, and this isn't my area of practice, but doesn't the 11th amendment keep the state off the hook?

Short answer, kind of but not really. Waived immunity and shit. I think.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:28 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

how dare you lawyers try to hijack this thread again! :dildodog
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:29 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Add this...

20 year old film student walks into the Film School department office: "It says here I have to complete an intership for credit. I can't find one that pays. What should I do?"

Secretary says: "Let me call the department head." a minute passes "She'll see you now."

20 year old film student: "I can find an unpaid internship, but I need money if I am going to work. So I am not willing to do that. What can I take for classes instead of this internship."

Department Head: "Hmmmm. I think we have a little problem here. You see, when you applied to this college at this university 3 years ago, you agreed to the sylabus. So if you ever want to actually graduate, you are compelled to do an intership."

20 year old film student: "But they wont pay me anything, and I have to pay YOU for my time on the intership."

Department Head: "That is your problem."

Although not technically a "slave" the student doesn't have leverage here. He or she already screwed up royal when he or she picked the wrong major, not they are boxed in. At this point, the student SHOULD seek legal council and sue the crap out of the school. But, the kid is only 20 and doesn't know any better.

20 year old film student : "I am sick and tired of fetching everyone coffee. Why do I have to do this?"

Assistant Director: "Look kid, this is the way it works. I had to do it. You can quit, but then I'll call your school and you'll get no intern credit. I'll take mine black with sugar this time."

This is called, no self-respect. It is also criminal on behalf of the film studio. I call that kid a slave, you can call him or her anything you want.

Nothing says personal responsibility like suing an institution because YOU made a mistake and don't like it a couple years later!

That is basically, the OWS protest/movement. We have a whole bunch of kids who made terrible mistakes and (a couple years later) want someone else to make them whole. Or we have grown-ups who turned their houses into ATMs (another stupid mistake) and now that they are upside down and can't refinance out of their ever increasing interest rate, they want someone else to make them whole.

In sum:

You are FOR bailing out students who agreed to take on debt and do internships because they didn't know what they were getting into but
You are AGAINST bailing out students who agreed to take on debt and didn't know what they were getting into because it's not someone else's job to make them whole for their mistakes

incorrect

you don't bail out the students with their loans. they need to pay those off

but you don't require them to do anymore unpaid internships to get their degree.

Recalling that you said this about the internship scenario (it's above): "At this point, the student SHOULD seek legal council and sue the crap out of the school. But, the kid is only 20 and doesn't know any better." What is the student suing for? Pride?

to be let out of the requirement of doing an internship.

if a school requires that you do an internship for a degree, and you can't find one that pays (often happens, particularly in this economy) then the university should not hold you responsible for your unwillingness to be a slave. and they legally mandate that you work for anyone (even the school) for free. THAT is what you sue for....

there is no way in fuck I would ever have done an unpaid internship. those of you who did that, you got snookered but good
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:31 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

i think there will be a lot of private individuals who will be sued

it appears that too many people knew exactly what Sandusky was. they knew at the ice cream parlour
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:35 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

it appears that too many people knew exactly what Sandusky was. they knew at the ice cream parlour

You could possibly make out a 1983 suit against the AD, and certainly against Sandusky himself. Hell, you could sue Sandusky straight-up.

NOTE: I don't actually know the law that well for these things.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:38 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

What's the deal with PSU being sovereign (I read something about them being exempt from FOIA). Also, PA funds the university irregardless, and I doubt they'll let their flagship flounder.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:39 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

You could possibly make out a 1983 suit against the AD, and certainly against Sandusky himself. Hell, you could sue Sandusky straight-up.

they should just sue white men

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/penn-state-riots-about-white-men-not-liking-be-held-accountable

mike {l Wrote}:If, like me, you scanned the crowds rioting at Penn State last night after the announcement of the firing of Joe Paterno, you may have noticed that nearly all the people there were white men. The riots were about white men not liking to be held accountable.

As a native Pennsylvanian, I never once considered attending Penn State University. Penn State always seemed like a place full of cliquish white people recalling their glory years of making fun of the dorky kids in high school. More progressive white people and people of color went to big city state schools like Pitt or Temple while whiter, more conservative types tended to dominate the settings of the rural, fraternity-heavy Penn State campus.....

....Old, conservative white men around the state revered the football coach who stayed on well past his prime into his eighties. Paterno stayed on when others told him he was wrong not to change his old ways, well after his coaching seemed ineffective and his team’s record suffered. Paterno’s perseverance in the face of his deficiencies was a beacon of hope for many white men in Pennsylvania who felt their power challenged by liberals and people of color seeking to change their ways.

That's why I paid attention to the crowd rioting on television at Penn State last night. The firing of Joe Paterno upset the natural order that white men like Joe Paterno could rule not based on merit -- as Paterno’s coaching deficiencies showed -- but because white men always had.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:40 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

There are also likely implications of the university's insurance covering their former employees and shit like that.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:40 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

they should just sue white men

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/penn-state-riots-about-white-men-not-liking-be-held-accountable

mike {l Wrote}:If, like me, you scanned the crowds rioting at Penn State last night after the announcement of the firing of Joe Paterno, you may have noticed that nearly all the people there were white men. The riots were about white men not liking to be held accountable.

As a native Pennsylvanian, I never once considered attending Penn State University. Penn State always seemed like a place full of cliquish white people recalling their glory years of making fun of the dorky kids in high school. More progressive white people and people of color went to big city state schools like Pitt or Temple while whiter, more conservative types tended to dominate the settings of the rural, fraternity-heavy Penn State campus.....

....Old, conservative white men around the state revered the football coach who stayed on well past his prime into his eighties. Paterno stayed on when others told him he was wrong not to change his old ways, well after his coaching seemed ineffective and his team’s record suffered. Paterno’s perseverance in the face of his deficiencies was a beacon of hope for many white men in Pennsylvania who felt their power challenged by liberals and people of color seeking to change their ways.

That's why I paid attention to the crowd rioting on television at Penn State last night. The firing of Joe Paterno upset the natural order that white men like Joe Paterno could rule not based on merit -- as Paterno’s coaching deficiencies showed -- but because white men always had.

Mike is way off. Paterno is Itrallian, not white.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium