Penn State

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Penn State

Postby branchinator on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
How does McQueary witness this taking place and not intervene physically??

A ginger always runs. (I am a ginger so I can say that.)

Wait, hold on. You're a ginger?! I feel so deceived!
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:56 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Coincidence between Sandusky retiring in '99 and a police investigation into his boy touching ways in '98? Me thinks not.

This whole incident smells funnier the more I learn about it.

Reading the paper this morning, JoePa's comment on this was something to the effect of "I reported the one incident I was aware of to the administration. If all of this is true, then I was deceived."

I always thought he was a good guy, but if it comes out that he knew of more than one incident, then he is fucked. And it's kind of hard to believe that with Sandusky apparently groping every kid in middle pennsylvania, more details of this weren't making the rounds in happy valley.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:36 pm

This is all hearsay, you assholes! Stop persecuting all of these innocent people, including Sandusky. I guarantee it was the kids that wanted it!

Signed,
PedyRob
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:This is pretty fucking bad right here. Nobody at PSU had an issue with this???

http://deadspin.com/5856887/as-recently-as-2009-jerry-sandusky-was-running-an-overnight-football-camp-for-kids-on-penn-state-campuses

I thought this was a spoof..

'Behrend" ? bare-end? personal instruction and drilling?

:shudders:
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:54 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

this fact is about as secret as spaz taking a swing at coach rogers

It's obvious from ATLeagle's irresponsible blog posting that he has no soul. Therefore, it stands to reason that he's a ginger.

cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Lets not forget the poor janitor who found the scene he walked in on worse than any lingering image of the korean war. Poor guy went crazy.

When you compare this to what Tressel went through... Man on man. This is going to bring it all down.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby NDubEagle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I don't understand why this hasn't gotten more publicity. Compare this to the coverage that the sports media gave the Ohio State tattoo scandal.

Its been 24-7 on sports radio and there have been several newspaper articles, is it not getting a lot of ESPN coverage?

:shrug Maybe I just live in a bubble but I didn't see much on it over the weekend. I learned about it from this thread.

Granted, as I recall most of the Ohio State stuff came out during the offseason when there was little CFB news, so that could be it as well.

There were several stories about it on NPR today, long ones. NPR doesn't really cover college sports (or sports in general, really), so when NPR's talking about your program, it's not generally a good thing. Only time I ever heard them mention BC's football program was during the gambling scandal.
NDubEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:01 pm

The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:Lets not forget the poor janitor who found the scene he walked in on worse than any lingering image of the korean war. Poor guy went crazy.

When you compare this to what Tressel went through... Man on man. This is going to bring it all down.

I don't even know if the NCAA will be(I don't even know if I think they should be) involved here. Its mostly outside their scope and I guarantee they will find a way to embarrass college sports, America and Jesus if they have a role in meting out punishments.

How many forfeits for each count of deviate sexual intercourse?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm a little behind (oops) on this topic, but I seem to remember a couple years back when Paterno's legacy was being questioned because the majority of his team had had legal problems of varying degrees. He kinda tossed his hands up in the air on that one too. Obviously this is far worse, but it's still a pattern to me.

College football has officially hit an all-time low at a time when its popularity is at an all-time high. I can't help but think that the two are intertwined.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:03 pm

The more I read about this, I'm deuce about the way everyone handled the situation (except maybe the Ginger). Passing off responsibility to act does not fulfil the ethical obligation to keep a predator if children away.

That said, I don't agree with those who think that the end result will be the fall of everyone but JoePa. There is indeed a segment of Penn State who rightly believe that the institution that is JoePa run it's course, and that segment will no doubt gain momentum and numbers with these allegations. On the contrary, I believe that the end result will like be the fall of Joe Pa to protect the BOT and other higher-ups whom this happened below. Those who already wanted PSU to move on are now totally empowered, and while the politics of ousting him now are a bit twisted, the end result will not be unjust.
Last edited by bignick33 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Coincidence between Sandusky retiring in '99 and a police investigation into his boy touching ways in '98? Me thinks not.

From the Grand Jury Report:
Victim 4 remembers Sandusky being emotionally upset after having a meeting with Joe Paterno in which Paterno told Sandusky he would not be the next head coach at Penn State and which preceded Sandusky's retirement. Sandusky told Victim 4 not to tell anyone about the meeting. That meeting occurred in May, l999.

I wonder why PSU would suddenly decide to tell him that he would never become HC.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:06 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:Lets not forget the poor janitor who found the scene he walked in on worse than any lingering image of the korean war. Poor guy went crazy.

I don't even know if the NCAA will be(I don't even know if I think they should be) involved here. Its mostly outside their scope and I guarantee they will find a way to embarrass college sports, America and Jesus if they have a role in meting out punishments.

Agreed, you make a good point. But wouldn't this dovetail with compliance aspects of the institution? GA comes in and say he thinks he saw a player cheat on a test -> Grounds for NCAA... GA says he watched a kid get American History X'ed/Andy Dufresne'd in the shower From Uncie Jerry....

I guess the point is the NCAA should have some sort of involvement when this kinda stuff is happening in collegiate sports programs. Not sure the extent or scope though.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:06 pm

NDubEagle {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I don't understand why this hasn't gotten more publicity. Compare this to the coverage that the sports media gave the Ohio State tattoo scandal.

Its been 24-7 on sports radio and there have been several newspaper articles, is it not getting a lot of ESPN coverage?

:shrug Maybe I just live in a bubble but I didn't see much on it over the weekend. I learned about it from this thread.

Granted, as I recall most of the Ohio State stuff came out during the offseason when there was little CFB news, so that could be it as well.

There were several stories about it on NPR today, long ones. NPR doesn't really cover college sports (or sports in general, really), so when NPR's talking about your program, it's not generally a good thing. Only time I ever heard them mention BC's football program was during the gambling scandal.

Was it before or after their pledge drive?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

From the Grand Jury Report:
Victim 4 remembers Sandusky being emotionally upset after having a meeting with Joe Paterno in which Paterno told Sandusky he would not be the next head coach at Penn State and which preceded Sandusky's retirement. Sandusky told Victim 4 not to tell anyone about the meeting. That meeting occurred in May, l999.

I wonder why PSU would suddenly decide to tell him that he would never become HC.

I thought the same. Maybe Saint JoPa was hoping he would take another job far, far away from Happy Valley where he buggar to his hearts content?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:15 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I'm a little behind (oops) on this topic, but I seem to remember a couple years back when Paterno's legacy was being questioned because the majority of his team had had legal problems of varying degrees. He kinda tossed his hands up in the air on that one too. Obviously this is far worse, but it's still a pattern to me.

College football has officially hit an all-time low at a time when its popularity is at an all-time high. I can't help but think that the two are intertwined.

Penn State football has really bumped it up a notch from the days of underage drinking and fighting. You're right though, there were institutional seeming control problems 4-5 or so years ago. Coincidently that seemed to be about the time when JoePa really stopped coaching.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:16 pm

How about the PSU Police who investigated Sandusky for giving the kid naked hugs and somehow just dropped the investigation??
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:16 pm

The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Agreed, you make a good point. But wouldn't this dovetail with compliance aspects of the institution? GA comes in and say he thinks he saw a player cheat on a test -> Grounds for NCAA... GA says he watched a kid get American History X'ed/Andy Dufresne'd in the shower From Uncie Jerry....

I guess the point is the NCAA should have some sort of involvement when this kinda stuff is happening in collegiate sports programs. Not sure the extent or scope though.

I agree, there is definitely a tie to compliance. I can already foresee ESPN fucking up the priorities.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:24 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}: I can already foresee ESPN fucking up the priorities.

No doubt this will all end up with Skip Bayless and Around the Horn debating whether the NCAA should vacate PSU wins and whether JoePa or Eddie Robinson is the "real" NCAA wins leader.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:How about the PSU Police who investigated Sandusky for giving the kid naked hugs and somehow just dropped the investigation??

And, if you believe JoePa, that he had no fucking clue that his defensive coordinator was getting investigated by the university police for playing grab-ass (and more) in the football team showers with little boys?

I
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby NDubEagle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:40 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
NDubEagle {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Was it before or after their pledge drive?

Pledge drive was two weeks ago. During that, I go to BBC on satellite. BBC does not appear to be covering this.
NDubEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:45 pm

NDubEagle {l Wrote}:BBC does not appear to be covering this.

ENABLERS!!!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:50 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Hang on what?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Paterno: “They went home and sat in a hot bath and opened their veins, and bled to death.  Sometimes they gave a little party before they did it.” 

Don't worry about anything, Joey Fatherly. [throws cigar, walks away]
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby weinerdog on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Hang on what?

That only happened according to a fake journalist blogger with an alleged anti-BC agenda who won't name his sources, so it didn't actually happen.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:04 pm

weinerdog {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Hang on what?

That only happened according to a fake journalist blogger with an alleged anti-BC agenda who won't name his sources, so it didn't actually happen.

I said he was fired. The punch came from others. I have certainly done my part though to use image of Spaz knocking someone out as an EO meme.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:11 pm

I thought Spaz bit off Rogers' tongue but Gene downplayed it as just "horseplay".
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:19 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:How does McQueary witness this taking place and not intervene physically??

Deference. A guy would have to be really sick to jump on a kid when he's already being pranged by another guy.

I'm glad you wrote this first. At least you'll be ahead of me in the line for hell.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:How does McQueary witness this taking place and not intervene physically??

Deference. A guy would have to be really sick to jump on a kid when he's already being pranged by another guy.

I'm glad you wrote this first. At least you'll be ahead of me in the line for hell.

Doesn't it depend on who dies first?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 pm

I don't know if there is anything about the DA in this thread, but wow did this get interesting:

"That said, police revealed that Gricar's home computer had saved searches for "how to wreck a hard drive" and "water damage to a notebook computer," meaning that he clearly wanted to make sure something never saw the light of day."
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium