Addazio Postgame

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio Postgame

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:35 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I find the overreaction amusing. I think pretty much all of us expected 3-1 to start the season, we just thought wed get there in a different way.

to be perfectly honest, it will be alarming if were not 5-1 going into Clemson. because even if were 5-1 going into that game, id be shocked if we finished above 7-5. and I still say 7-5 would be a good year.

I still think 5-7 will be a good year. That said, the freshmen and Murphy are a lot better than I expected and year 2, the defense seems to be taking a little bit (not being able to tackle Conner and Sylvia falling down a lot notwithstanding).
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:59 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I still think 7-5 will be great work with this bunch and don't think people are overreacting...... Remember, when signing the Daz a lot of people acknowledged that this year would be his most difficult due to the lack of returning talent this team was faced with. He is overachieving and this obviously bodes well for the future of the program.

how is he overachieving? again, everybody pretty much expected 3-1. get to 6-1 then well talk overachieving.

this isn't to say im unhappy with the direction of the program
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:04 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I still think 7-5 will be great work with this bunch and don't think people are overreacting...... Remember, when signing the Daz a lot of people acknowledged that this year would be his most difficult due to the lack of returning talent this team was faced with. He is overachieving and this obviously bodes well for the future of the program.

how is he overachieving? again, everybody pretty much expected 3-1. get to 6-1 then well talk overachieving.

He's not overachieving in reaching 3-1. He's overachieving in the manner that he has reached 3-1, which bodes will for those that think he can get to 7 or 8 wins, which would be overachieving.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Getting BC back to 8, 9 wins a season won't get Addazio poached. I think that is seen about about average for BC (which is a very good perception, of course). Remind me to worry about the Dazzler leaving when we win the ACC.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:44 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Eh, Pitt was a coin flip. Everyone thought there was a good chance we'd be 3-1 but many felt 2-2 was more likely.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:19 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Eh, Pitt was a coin flip. Everyone thought there was a good chance we'd be 3-1 but many felt 2-2 was more likely.

Not really. Pitt was a bad L. They needed BC not to tackle a single player and they still only won by 10.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Not really. Pitt was a bad L. They needed BC not to tackle a single player and they still only won by 10.

In hindsight I agree but coming into the year I think most people viewed it as a toss-up.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I was on board the Notorious Orange express very early.

I also don't think the guy is irreplaceable, just commenting that I am not so certain we will have to worry about it for a while

You wanna crown him?! Then crown his ass!!
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Agreed, thought we'd be 2-2 going into the Colorado St game
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:26 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

In hindsight I agree but coming into the year I think most people viewed it as a toss-up.

I had it as one of the 6 wins.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I was on board the Notorious Orange express very early.

I also don't think the guy is irreplaceable, just commenting that I am not so certain we will have to worry about it for a while

You wanna crown him?! Then crown his ass!!

Does the winner of this week's game have the inside track for the Gator job (since both Dazoo and Jim McElwain were former hot-shot SEC OCs)?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Although I agree, Pitt has vastly more experienced talent than BC does.

I like how CSU and NCST are now expected wins. I would think we're an underdog in Raleigh. I don't think either team is very good at all, but still. This reminds me of Donahue will make the NCAAs last year, like we magically we're going to start beating Providence, USC, Auburn, etc. on the road.

I think Addazio is awesome for BC and far exceeding my expectations for how they've played thus far
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I would think we're an underdog in Raleigh.

I agree here. It will be this group's first true road game.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:11 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Fun fact: both starting qb's are former backups to current Florida qb Jeff Driskel
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:12 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

If we beat CSU, absolutely no shot. NCSU plays FSU and Clemson in successive weeks and then us. Not only will their national perception be brought back to reality but they will be banged up and not in 'ideal' shape to face our running game.... I think Vegas would take all of this into account when figuring a line. In this scenario, we should be favored by 3.

No chance at all. That means BC would be a TD favorite one neutral field.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:33 am

agreed, this team has exceeded my expectationsbut until proven otherwise they shouldn't be favored for any game on the road

addazio has done very well at home though 7-2
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:41 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:agreed, this team has exceeded my expectationsbut until proven otherwise they shouldn't be favored for any game on the road

addazio has done very well at home though 7-2

Wake is horrible so we should be favored in that game.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:47 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I find the overreaction amusing. I think pretty much all of us expected 3-1 to start the season, we just thought wed get there in a different way.

to be perfectly honest, it will be alarming if were not 5-1 going into Clemson. because even if were 5-1 going into that game, id be shocked if we finished above 7-5. and I still say 7-5 would be a good year.

In fact, based on the preseason prediction thread:
- 15% predicted 4-0
- 40% predicted 3-1
- 45% predicted 2-2
- 0% predicted 1-3
- 0% predicted 0-4

I think the over-reaction has less to do with people seriously annointing Daz or thinking about the national championship than it has to do with the unbridled enthusiasm of still caring about a season 5 weeks in.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:50 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

If we beat CSU, absolutely no shot. NCSU plays FSU and Clemson in successive weeks and then us. Not only will their national perception be brought back to reality but they will be banged up and not in 'ideal' shape to face our running game.... I think Vegas would take all of this into account when figuring a line. In this scenario, we should be favored by 3.

And we have a bye week leading up to it.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:00 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Although I agree, Pitt has vastly more experienced talent than BC does.

I like how CSU and NCST are now expected wins. I would think we're an underdog in Raleigh. I don't think either team is very good at all, but still. This reminds me of Donahue will make the NCAAs last year, like we magically we're going to start beating Providence, USC, Auburn, etc. on the road.

I think Addazio is awesome for BC and far exceeding my expectations for how they've played thus far

CSU and NCSU were always expected wins. If anything, the abortion that was the NCSU team preseason has me more worried now, not less.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

BC is more than a TD favorite on the road against that team. If BC wins convincingly this week, as they should, after FSU and CLEM, BC will be close to a TD favorite over NCSU
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

BC is more than a TD favorite on the road against that team. If BC wins convincingly this week, as they should, after FSU and CLEM, BC will be close to a TD favorite over NCSU

No...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:28 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

No...

Yes. BC has always been a 5-7 to 7-5 team and NCSU has always been fucking terrible and nothing about the first 4 games changes that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:35 pm

During the USC game I believe there was more than one reference to the BC motto being, "Service for others" or "service for all" or something of that nature. I think the stadium announcer used it during the Crowther presentation and Addazio mentioned it in postgame. Not sure how I missed this, but when did that become the BC motto?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Iggle on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:47 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:During the USC game I believe there was more than one reference to the BC motto being, "Service for others" or "service for all" or something of that nature. I think the stadium announcer used it during the Crowther presentation and Addazio mentioned it in postgame. Not sure how I missed this, but when did that become the BC motto?

If you're talking about "men and women for others", it's an Ignatian thing. I heard it a ton at BC but the school motto is still Ever to Excel.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:22 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Funny thing is, my roommate is a well informed NCSU grad and he thinks they not only suck but that Doreen is an idiot. We have watched all 4 of their games against Georgia Southern, Presbyterian and the likes and have seen nothing to say otherwise. Where Daz tailors his system to his players, Doreen is a one trick pony without the tools. (Although, Bissett can throw the ball).

On a side note about their program, stealing Landry away from them speaks volumes about their recruiting capabilities. They have a gorgeous stadium, solid atmosphere (when compared to us) and no academic restrictions, not to mention the wonderful climate/tailgating down in NC. They should kill us in recruiting year in and year out but wont with Doreen at the helm.

I hope they beat FSU and Clemson, I just don't see it happening just as I don't see them being favored when they play us.

The problem is there is a lot of competition for the football factory type of kid, and NCSU will always come up short against the like of the SEC, the other football factories in the ACC, and the various factories across the country. Having a great stadium, atmosphere, no academic restrictions and good climate makes them simply similar to the majority of other programs out there. Its not a unique set of attributes. Of the countless schools that have these attributes, many will never win, and NCSU is one of them. They are absolutely not in competition with BC in recruiting. A kid like Landry is an example - if he wants to get away, experience something different, and prepare himself for life without the NFL, he chooses BC (or Vandy, ND, maybe GIT, etc). If he just wants to play football at a factory because he thinks he is an NFL lock, than he will choose FSU, Clemson, SEC-du-jour, etc. This is why NCSU mostly sucks.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:44 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Funny thing is, my roommate is a well informed NCSU grad and he thinks they not only suck but that Doreen is an idiot. We have watched all 4 of their games against Georgia Southern, Presbyterian and the likes and have seen nothing to say otherwise. Where Daz tailors his system to his players, Doreen is a one trick pony without the tools. (Although, Bissett can throw the ball).

On a side note about their program, stealing Landry away from them speaks volumes about their recruiting capabilities. They have a gorgeous stadium, solid atmosphere (when compared to us) and no academic restrictions, not to mention the wonderful climate/tailgating down in NC. They should kill us in recruiting year in and year out but wont with Doreen at the helm.

I hope they beat FSU and Clemson, I just don't see it happening just as I don't see them being favored when they play us.

The problem is there is a lot of competition for the football factory type of kid, and NCSU will always come up short against the like of the SEC, the other football factories in the ACC, and the various factories across the country. Having a great stadium, atmosphere, no academic restrictions and good climate makes them simply similar to the majority of other programs out there. Its not a unique set of attributes. Of the countless schools that have these attributes, many will never win, and NCSU is one of them. They are absolutely not in competition with BC in recruiting. A kid like Landry is an example - if he wants to get away, experience something different, and prepare himself for life without the NFL, he chooses BC (or Vandy, ND, maybe GIT, etc). If he just wants to play football at a factory because he thinks he is an NFL lock, than he will choose FSU, Clemson, SEC-du-jour, etc. This is why NCSU mostly sucks.

The reason that Silberman & Patchan transferred here is that they thought that Daz and BC would give them their best NFL chance. For an O-Lineman he has a lot of players he can point as examples. For running backs like Hilliman and Outlow - what he did with Andre last year - gave them the confidence to choose BC over the Florida, Ohio State, etc

The real edge that Addazio gives us is that the players believe that he improves their NFL chances & they can get all of the other BC benefits as well. Coughlin is the only other BC coach who I can remember that also had this cachet
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:47 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:

The reason that Silberman & Patchan transferred here is that they thought that Daz and BC would give them their best NFL chance. For an O-Lineman he has a lot of players he can point as examples. For running backs like Hilliman and Outlow - what he did with Andre last year - gave them the confidence to choose BC over the Florida, Ohio State, etc

The real edge that Addazio gives us is that the players believe that he improves their NFL chances & they can get all of the other BC benefits as well. Coughlin is the only other BC coach who I can remember that also had this cachet

While I will take every opportunity to shit on TOB and Spaz, there are a shit ton of 2 stars from BC in the NFL right now that think your last sentence is ridiculous.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

No...

Yes. BC has always been a 5-7 to 7-5 team and NCSU has always been fucking terrible and nothing about the first 4 games changes that.

We're arguing a different point. I think BC should win, but in Raleigh there's no chance BC is favored. Heck we're only favored by 4 against what most on here think is a crappy CSU team.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:21 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

No...

We're arguing a different point. I think BC should win, but in Raleigh there's no chance BC is favored. Heck we're only favored by 4 against what most on here think is a crappy CSU team.

This weekend is a tougher game.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium