2017 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:43 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:As to clavers OL comment, it's spot on in re: to development and the '16 season. I personally don't have a problem with the offers, there is enough of a mix of guys with good offer sheets and projects who at worst can provide depth. The one thing I would say, and it's to the "needs time" comment that thin skin uses far to frequently, is that the OL is actually the one area where that is valid. Spaz brought in 3 OL his last 2 classes, only 2 stayed wth the program. With those numbers, once the OL recruits from Spaz year 1/2 grad, you're guaranteed to have the bottom fall out and totally reset, i.e. '15. This was essentially year 2 of a complete OL rebuild, literally from the ground up. There was noting to start with. I think you saw some improvement and development this year, but next year has to be a big step. If BC isn't back to the top 25/30 running the ball next year, then yes, you need to be concerned (and he'll prob be fired as I'm sure your won't get better than 6-7 wins).

agreed on the OL traditionally needing more time to catch up compared to other positions and it needing the complete rebuild.

regarding the pass pro, BC allowed a sack per every 12 attempts, 13th worst in the P5 with a charmin soft schedule.

allowed a sack for every 18 attempts in the first half (gt, vt, clem, cuse) of the acc schedule, one for every 7 in the second half (ncst, ville, fsu, wake). rushed for 3.9 per carry in 1st half of acc, 2.7 in second.

granted i'm not sitting there breaking down OL film but did lindstrom or montiero take a huge step forward from last season? was there progression on the OL through the season? i guess my problem is we said the same thing coming into this year regarding the ol being the key to the season and they went from 10 points per game against p5 teams to 12, given all the injuries in '15 and the relative health of '16
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:48 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:I actually think pass protection was good this year where as run blocking was ok.
23 sacks is a lot for a group but I think a lot were on the boneheaded under center.

I agree re: pass protection. A lot of sacks were on Towles.

Run production over Addazios 4 years has been ranked 24th, 16th, 84th, 102nd. They need to catch this unit up quick

23 sacks is not a lot, it is pretty much middle of the road of the 128 schools (53rd @1.92/g), and BC sees much better pass rushes than a lot of those teams. FSU and Clemson were 1 and 3 in the country, Pitt was tied with BC for 10 (even though we did not see them this year), Wake was at 13, NCSU was 27 and L'Ville was 34
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:I actually think pass protection was good this year where as run blocking was ok.
23 sacks is a lot for a group but I think a lot were on the boneheaded under center.

Run production over Addazios 4 years has been ranked 24th, 16th, 84th, 102nd. They need to catch this unit up quick

23 sacks is not a lot, it is pretty much middle of the road of the 128 schools (53rd @1.92/g), and BC sees much better pass rushes than a lot of those teams. FSU and Clemson were 1 and 3 in the country, Pitt was tied with BC for 10 (even though we did not see them this year), Wake was at 13, NCSU was 27 and L'Ville was 34

Even with the Charmin Soft™ schedule?
agree about FSU/Clemson/Louisville having a dominant rush.

™ claver (+5 for coming up with this btw)
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:12 pm

Our WRs are also NEVER open. Towles made some great throws to Smith in good coverage. He also made a lot of awful throws, but it would help if our guys were open once in a while.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:34 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

The schedule is only soft compared to other teams in big conferences. And even then, it doesn't balance out have 3 games against National Title contenders.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

The schedule is only soft compared to other teams in big conferences. And even then, it doesn't balance out have 3 games against National Title contenders.

i am surprised you are defending the schedule that included yukon, wagner, buffalo and umass. there is not much worse that they could do from a cream puff perspective
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:51 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

i am surprised you are defending the schedule that included yukon, wagner, buffalo and umass. there is not much worse that they could do from a cream puff perspective

I don't have the energy to keep you guys on point. No one defended the schedule for BC. Utterly irrelevant to the point whether BC as BC should play such a shitty OOC schedule as a P5 team. Safe to say that the schedule is much tougher than many teams of the 128. It's the OOC schedule, which represents .333 of the games they play, that is soft. Most of the 128 play those teams in conference, just more of them. So when Troy and Northern Illinois go 1-2 in least sacks allowed, I'm sure they played killer schedules that knock the shit out of BCs.

Good non sequitur though, hadn't heard BC had a shitty schedule before.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:53 pm

Georgia Southern clocking in at #9 in least sacks allowed, right behind New Mexico. Strong Middle Tennessee squad checking in at 13. 5 triple option teams in front of BC as well.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

I don't have the energy to keep you guys on point. No one defended the schedule for BC. Utterly irrelevant to the point whether BC as BC should play such a shitty OOC schedule as a P5 team. Safe to say that the schedule is much tougher than many teams of the 128. It's the OOC schedule, which represents .333 of the games they play, that is soft. Most of the 128 play those teams in conference, just more of them. So when Troy and Northern Illinois go 1-2 in least sacks allowed, I'm sure they played killer schedules that knock the shit out of BCs.

Easier to say it like this:

1) BC's out of conference schedule sucked.

2) 23 sacks when playing the 1, 3, 13, 27 and 34 teams in the country in sacks/game is not a huge number of sacks.

3) BC is helped in this regard by the fact that they don't have the ball long and when they do, they don't throw much

4) 1, 2, and 3 are all compatible points, and hansen's statement that 23 sacks is a lot of sacks is dumb.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:59 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Hanse, you think the run blocking was OK??? What games were you watching? Or is there some ulterior motive thing going on here because your boy, the Great Daziani was an OL coach? The run blocking was well below average if not horrible. Not only were holes nonexistent, but I'm sure the stats were horrible too. I'm too lazy to look it up but I wouldn't be surprised if they were near the bottom in rushing yards per game and yards per carry.

I thought the pass blocking was generally decent.

The run blocking sucks, but when 6 guys are trying to block 10 men in the box that is to be expected.

The only way this offense is successful is when they use jet sweeps and deep shots to get people out of the box.

You can't block 6 on 10.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Easier to say it like this:

1) BC's out of conference schedule sucked.

2) 23 sacks when playing the 1, 3, 13, 27 and 34 teams in the country in sacks/game is not a huge number of sacks.

3) BC is helped in this regard by the fact that they don't have the ball long and when they do, they don't throw much

4) 1, 2, and 3 are all compatible points, and hansen's statement that 23 sacks is a lot of sacks is dumb.

yeah, but we scored a bunch of points on howard. without that game, the stats tell a much different story

we haven't used that one in a while so i thought i would trot it back out
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:16 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Hanse, you think the run blocking was OK??? What games were you watching? Or is there some ulterior motive thing going on here because your boy, the Great Daziani was an OL coach? The run blocking was well below average if not horrible. Not only were holes nonexistent, but I'm sure the stats were horrible too. I'm too lazy to look it up but I wouldn't be surprised if they were near the bottom in rushing yards per game and yards per carry.

I posted this earlier ...

Run production over Addazios 4 years has been ranked 24th, 16th, 84th, 102nd.

If you back out the Howard game, year 3 is prob much closer to year 4 realistically (this is total rushing)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:21 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:... back out the Howard game...

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:35 pm

The offense was awful. Every.Single.Part.Of.IT.

the scheme was awful
The quarterback was awful
the running backs, hilliman, mainly were awful.
The OLINE was brutal. The only reason people on this board have anything remotely nice to say about it, is when they compare it to the 2015 OL, which my therapist says I shouldn't talk about,

There is not one WR who would play on any other ACC team, and that includes Smith. Run his numbers in ACC games, if you want to argue this.

The tight ends are at best functional, no stretch the field types.

We averaged less than 10ppg in conference prior to the Wake game.

10ppg!!!! not a single nice word should be said about the offense. This is a historically bad two year run, by BC and NCAA standards.

As to my recruiting analysis, regarding Gunnell, Robinson and so forth, I guess what I was trying to say was that BC is a developmental program. Every 7-10 years or so, we get one player who comes in and is a national player from the start. Blackmon, Green(underutilized as a frosh), Keuchly. BC doesn't bring in program difference makers. Therefore it is incumbent upon the coaches to develop kids. They need to actually be better at maximizing a players abilities in 4-5 years than other programs are. Whether that is hands on coaching, technique, motivation, weight training, diet, whatever, BC needs to be able to recruit good players, who after 2-3 years in the program turn into very good players, and then spend their last two years in the program, fully developed, and able to compete and at times be better than FSU, Clemson, Louisville's, 18 year old freshmen.

If you cant recruit better players than the other teams have then you need to find ways to develop them. you need to better at the small stuff, such as in game coaching, pre game planning, winning the kicking game. Your margin for error is going to be thin, so dominate the areas you can control. they need a coach and a staff who finds every angle to their advantage and exploits it. This staff isn't it, but there are plenty out there. Go spend some time with D'antonio and his staff. Should they be competing with Michigan and OSU, no, but prior to this year, they were beating both. go hand with the Wisconsin coaches, same thing. Go to Palo Alto, Why do they consistently beat USC and UCLA and Oregon.

Go pay rent at the Naval academies football office. they havent had a 3 star recruit in decades. Find out how they create an edge when they are so athletically overmatched, yet routinely beat teams who are clearly superior to them in talent.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:07 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:The offense was awful. Every.Single.Part.Of.IT.

the scheme was awful
The quarterback was awful
the running backs, hilliman, mainly were awful.
The OLINE was brutal. The only reason people on this board have anything remotely nice to say about it, is when they compare it to the 2015 OL, which my therapist says I shouldn't talk about,

There is not one WR who would play on any other ACC team, and that includes Smith. Run his numbers in ACC games, if you want to argue this.

The tight ends are at best functional, no stretch the field types.

We averaged less than 10ppg in conference prior to the Wake game.

10ppg!!!! not a single nice word should be said about the offense. This is a historically bad two year run, by BC and NCAA standards.

As to my recruiting analysis, regarding Gunnell, Robinson and so forth, I guess what I was trying to say was that BC is a developmental program. Every 7-10 years or so, we get one player who comes in and is a national player from the start. Blackmon, Green(underutilized as a frosh), Keuchly. BC doesn't bring in program difference makers. Therefore it is incumbent upon the coaches to develop kids. They need to actually be better at maximizing a players abilities in 4-5 years than other programs are. Whether that is hands on coaching, technique, motivation, weight training, diet, whatever, BC needs to be able to recruit good players, who after 2-3 years in the program turn into very good players, and then spend their last two years in the program, fully developed, and able to compete and at times be better than FSU, Clemson, Louisville's, 18 year old freshmen.

If you cant recruit better players than the other teams have then you need to find ways to develop them. you need to better at the small stuff, such as in game coaching, pre game planning, winning the kicking game. Your margin for error is going to be thin, so dominate the areas you can control. they need a coach and a staff who finds every angle to their advantage and exploits it. This staff isn't it, but there are plenty out there. Go spend some time with D'antonio and his staff. Should they be competing with Michigan and OSU, no, but prior to this year, they were beating both. go hand with the Wisconsin coaches, same thing. Go to Palo Alto, Why do they consistently beat USC and UCLA and Oregon.

Go pay rent at the Naval academies football office. they havent had a 3 star recruit in decades. Find out how they create an edge when they are so athletically overmatched, yet routinely beat teams who are clearly superior to them in talent.

For all the effort put into typing words, there wasn't much effort put in to the analysis. BC's problem is largely scheme. With a good scheme, BC has plenty of athletes. Just look at the defensive side of the ball.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Jason Pinnock has set visits to Pitt (1/13), BC (1/20) and Syracuse (1/27). BC commit and Pitt recently offered.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:53 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I considered last year's run blocking to be awful and this year seemed a bit better so I called it ok. Maybe bad is a more apt description though.

The group improved this year and I hope next year they take a bigger step. They absolutely have to if this team is going to do anything as long as the coach continues to crack the rock ad nauseam.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:31 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I considered last year's run blocking to be awful and this year seemed a bit better so I called it ok. Maybe bad is a more apt description though.

The group improved this year and I hope next year they take a bigger step. They absolutely have to if this team is going to do anything as long as the coach continues to crack the rock ad nauseam.

Those of us that went to games realize that run blocking was much worse and pass blocking better. Enjoy Japan, I hear you are big there.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

The EO coaching staff determined Those of us that went to games realize that run blocking was much worse and pass blocking better. Enjoy Japan, I hear you are big there.

OK got it

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:00 pm

The quality of pass blocking doesn't matter when Patrick Towles runs out of the pocket immediately on every snap in the throw game.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Those of us that went to games realize that run blocking was much worse and pass blocking better. Enjoy Japan, I hear you are big there.

I'm not even sure how you are evaluating the run blocking when it's 6 against 10.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:08 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I'm not even sure how you are evaluating the run blocking when it's 6 against 10.

It's been 6 on 10 the past two years.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

for those of us that haven't been to the games - is "6 on 10" referring only to the 10 men in the box bowling over the poor 6 men on our line or is it referring to the eo coaching staff halftime "performance"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

for those of us that haven't been to the games - is "6 on 10" referring only to the 10 men in the box bowling over the poor 6 men on our line or is it referring to the eo coaching staff halftime "performance"

Don't know. Claver handles recruiting.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

and foot recruits "handles"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Oh, foot's on the EO coaching staff?
That makes sense. :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:05 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

here he is, hard at work uhhhh, recruiting

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:21 pm

Hansen playing cool guy is the best development since jhigg as beltway insider.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Hansen playing cool guy is the best development since jhigg as beltway insider.

i bet he's even wearing his hair in a fauxhawk now... a really, REALLY gay fauxhawk
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:27 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

DGF is a graduate assistant.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium