Ryan vs. Clausen (and maybe BC guys vs. ND people)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Ryan vs. Clausen (and maybe BC guys vs. ND people)

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:19 am

micheagle {l Wrote}:Who are you going to go over the middle for?

Ryan pre-draft on his receivers: during interviews, when coaches asked him if he thought he would have performed better with better talent at end, Ryan responded that he had great receivers.

Clausen, who had Golden Tait and Michael Floyd (each would have started ahead of Gunnell) to throw to, pre-draft on his receivers:

NFL Network supposed draft expert Mike Mayock thinks that there will be teams that will try to trade up to the first round in order to draft Florida quarterback Tim Tebow.

Mayock likes Jimmy Clausen, but he thinks his interview with Jon Gruden on ESPN may have hurt him. During his interview with Gruden, Clausen blamed one of his interceptions on his wide receiver running the wrong route.

"The other night people around the league were talking about this," Mayock said. "He threw his wide receiver under the bus. And quarterbacking 101 is you take responsibility. People look at that and go 'wow'. Is that what we're getting? I think he's a hard working guy who loves the game of football, but there are these nagging concerns about what kind of kid he is. He threw his wide receiver under his bus."

MICH-

You were more right than I.. mentioned again on NFl but not other networks???

I overlooked it...

I blame my possible slight error on TRE.... :couch
:lol:
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Zahmhall77 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:17 pm

I agree with you guys. I like Ryan better as a pro. I think the draft is like a market and markets tell the truth. Concern about JC's attitude, possibly his speed and hand size, I suspect were all issues.

Personally I really dont care where these guys get drafted. Not one has ever called me to ask how my career is going. I much more interested in the Dayne Crist/Brian Kelly era..and the fact that we got three to commits at our spring game: Springman, Grace and Hanratty (we beat you on all three!)
Zahmhall77
n00b

Postby hansen on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Zahmhall77 {l Wrote}:I agree with you guys. I like Ryan better as a pro. I think the draft is like a market and markets tell the truth. Concern about JC's attitude, possibly his speed and hand size, I suspect were all issues.

Personally I really dont care where these guys get drafted. Not one has ever called me to ask how my career is going. I much more interested in the Dayne Crist/Brian Kelly era..and the fact that we got three to commits at our spring game: Springman, Grace and Hanratty (we beat you on all three!)

No way we were going to steal a guy from Indiana from you guys... ain't going to happen. The Ohio guy probably had been recruited by Kelly for some time. as for the guy from new england, it's a shame BC can't recruit the area better.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:03 pm

Zahmhall77 {l Wrote}: I much more interested in the Dayne Crist/Brian Kelly era..

More so than the Jimmy Clausen/Charlie Weis era? :blah :blah :blah
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:55 pm

Zahmhall77 {l Wrote}:Personally I really dont care where these guys get drafted. Not one has ever called me to ask how my career is going.

not like when they were in school and asked where your daughter was?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Zahmhall77 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:45 am

Hansen you are aware that the kid from new england is son of terry hanratty irish qb under ara parseghian? There was your chalenge. As to the other two, are you telling me bc can't recruit nationally? Where did rettig come from?
Zahmhall77
n00b

Postby hansen on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 am

Zahmhall77 {l Wrote}:Hansen you are aware that the kid from new england is son of terry hanratty irish qb under ara parseghian? There was your chalenge. As to the other two, are you telling me bc can't recruit nationally? Where did rettig come from?

i was not. i do not study ND football history due to lack of interest.

anyway, so based on this info BC had virtually no chance at any of the three...

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Zahmhall77 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Wow. I thpight you guys held your program in higher esteem. I thouight you felt you could compete in the midwest for talent.

Hanratty led the 1966 fighting irish to a natl champoinship in 1966 went on to play for the steelers after
Zahmhall77
n00b

Postby BC923 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Zahmhall77 {l Wrote}:Wow. I thpight you guys held your program in higher esteem. I thouight you felt you could compete in the midwest for talent.

Hanratty led the 1966 fighting irish to a natl champoinship in 1966 went on to play for the steelers after

This is like listening to an old man talk about how big his dick used to be.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:24 pm

923--

So I may have lost 1/4 inch, but 2 3/4 solid inches is still formidable.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Well this thread took a twist :puke
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby Zahmhall77 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:55 pm

Iam amazed at BC fans lack of curiosity about events prior to oh 1999

Apparantly U of Washington folks are a tad more astute. They were able to recruit a son of Joe Montana

Oh you probably don't know who Montana is. He led ND to an NC in 1977 and then leh the 49ers to several Super Bowl championships

Now that brings us to about 1990. Are we current or do you need further education on that decade?
Zahmhall77
n00b

Postby apbc12 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:03 pm

Zahmhall77 {l Wrote}:Iam amazed at BC fans lack of curiosity about events prior to oh 1999

Apparantly U of Washington folks are a tad more astute. They were able to recruit a son of Joe Montana

Oh you probably don't know who Montana is. He led ND to an NC in 1977 and then leh the 49ers to several Super Bowl championships

Now that brings us to about 1990. Are we current or do you need further education on that decade?

Yes, because Terry Hanratty and Joe Montana are equivalent. Why DON'T we all know more about guys who had mediocre pro careers before we were born?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:09 pm

George Gipp was the real Joe Namath, Minnesota Fats, and charity chap back in the day.

I miss the Gipper..I wish someone would make a movie of his exploits.

Notre Dame needs more players like Gipp.

Wake up the echoes.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:55 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Image

I think Drunk Dave needs a flask.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 am

Dammit, TRE (rhymes with Urban Meyer) beat me to it. How about adding Zahmhall's daughter doing something with a foot-long D'Angelo's sub?
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:12 am

Back to Mel, he's a faker. I'll never forget when he buried the Colts for not taking an earlier golden boy "can't miss" QB, Trent Dilfer. And then he got this verbal smack down.

"Who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? To my knowledge, he's never put on a jockstrap, he's never been a player, and all of a sudden he's an expert. He's never been a scout. He's never been an administrator. Mel has no more credibility to do what he's doing than my neighbor. And my neighbor is a postman who doesn't even have season tickets."
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:17 am

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 am

I should've expanded...my "guy" told me that Dave actually brews his own moonshine on campus and sells it out of his van down by the river.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:26 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I should've expanded...my "guy" told me that Dave actually brews his own moonshine on campus and sells it out of his van down by the river.

BC has always done well by attracting the "big picture guys" who prepare for a life outside of football.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:56 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I should've expanded...my "guy" told me that Dave actually brews his own moonshine on campus and sells it out of his van down by the river.

Dave is majoring in Marketing?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Zahmhall77 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Yes, because Terry Hanratty and Joe Montana are equivalent. Why DON'T we all know more about guys who had mediocre pro careers before we were born?

you are correct, but this all came up viz Connor Hanratty whom BC was recruiting....my point was the poster who couldnt explain how a guy from New England chose ND over BC, should have known his dad was major star at ND....he seemed to explain everything geographically, as he looked at the other two recruits you lost to us coming from IN and OH and said BC had no chance, which i was trying to point out was not true

I checked the BC roster and counted about a dozen or so players from the midwest.
Zahmhall77
n00b

Postby BC923 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:25 pm

or does he just live in a van down by the river?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:23 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
Zahmhall77 {l Wrote}:Wow. I thpight you guys held your program in higher esteem. I thouight you felt you could compete in the midwest for talent.

This is like listening to an old man talk about how big his dick used to be.

effing EXALT

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:24 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Image

this pic keeps getting better and better....

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:08 pm

This should be the icon for the Hall Of Fame.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:12 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:
historylesson {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:history,

This particular draft year was going to be a "lean year" for BC graduates in the NFL draft. Lean. And that is not because we had shitty players on this team. INSTEAD, it is because our 2009 team, was a team of juniors and sophmores (and in a couple/three very special circumstances, true freshmen.) Our superstars were the younger kids. Matt Tennant, Rich Gunnell, and maybe one or two others will be drafted (probably just one), obviously not in the first round. We had a young team.

The 2007 team was an older team and much more represented in the draft (as well as undrafted free agents.) We had two first rounders that year.

Talk to us next year when we send 7 or even 8 players into the NFL (maybe not all drafted, but they will be in the NFL.) That will be 7 or 8 times as many players as Rutgers will send.

:)

Okay, so you just need to mold your facts to the current circumstances.

Well the current circumstance is that the best players we had on our team last year were younger or injured with Cancer. Here is the list of our best players (the ones who enabled us to win 8 games in a tumultuous year, either directly on the field or indirectly on the sidelines) followed by their years of remaining NCAA eligibility:

Rich Gunnell, 0
Matt Tennant, 0

Anthony Castanzo, 1
Luke Kuechly, 3
Montel Harris, 2
Mark Herzlich, 1
Dave Shinskie, 3
Thomas Clairborne, 1
Rich Lapham, 1
Wes Davis, 1
Domminick LeGrande, 2

This year, we are not losing "much." So I think we'll go from 8-4 to 10-2. I think not having Gunnell will cost us ONE GAME during the season. (If we had Gunnell, I really think we win 11.) But will will be losing quite a bit to the NFL next year (particularly on the Offensive Line.)

Ummm...would you mind taking Shinskie off the list?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Without Shinskie, this 8-4 team goes 4-8. He had more TD passes than any freshman QB in BC history.

No, he stays.

I wouldn't call him "one of our best players" and show the countdown til he enters the draft, though.

Shinskie is going to be drafted. We may not see that now (because of all those INTs he threw last year), but it will happen (eventually.) As far as teh countdown goes, I expect that he plays just two more years and at age 28, he's gone. Rettig reshirts this year. Rettig mops up aftr Shinskie's broken bones in 2011. Rettig starts (officially) as a "sophmore" in 2012.

This coming season (due to the strength and expereince of the O-Line keeping Shinskie from picking himself up off the ground) I expect to be Shinksie's best year as an Eagle "statistically." He's probably going to get plenty of time in the pocket but the younger wideouts will be well covered, ALL YEAR. With the exception of VPI, the ACC is very deep and experienced this year at CB. As a result, we are going to see a lot of tight-end-dumps, padding Shinskie's completion percentage, albeit, dinging his YPA. That will really start happening against VPI what with our wideouts being so new and VPI losing the linebackers and three-quarters of their secondary to graduation. I expect Tranq going max-protection for much of that game, tight ends busting out as a safety valve to catch a pass after 3 seconds of blocking.

Tranq will be the first one to tell you that Shinksie's biggest QB problems are mental ones, he doesn't have it in his head that he has MORE than one receiving target. He is still acting like a pitcher throwing to his one catcher. This was blatantly obvious last year when all Shinskie did was throw to Gunnell and when he was triple covered, he threw to... Gunnell. We don't have Gunnell anymore, but we do have two very good tight ends. Guess who Shinskie is throwing to? Their receiving numbers this year will be 1994-Ben Coates-eque, sick. As a result, the deep bomb will be thrown far less frequently and there will be fewer INTs. Now all we have to do is put "glue" on Montel's hands and everything will be just fine offensively.

bump
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium