Bates to Michigan?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bates to Michigan?

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:49 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I'd be surprised if Michigan hires Bates, but I won't lose any sleep over it if it happens. Bates has done some good things here, but he has not been a miracle worker. Soliciting and listening to customer feedback and having a grasp on social media are not difficult qualities to replace. He has made one good hire and the jury is still out on his second. And we've already griped plenty about his football scheduling.

agreed. he's listened to feedback but not really done anything about it other than offer that changes are coming.

he's shown us his mac network and connections and, like the ladyboylover, i say no thank you to that part of the job.

that said, in the spirit of "no one could be worse than al skinner" - i don't see the school ponying up for a glamorous replacement so we'll wind up back in the same place anyway
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:13 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I'd be surprised if Michigan hires Bates, but I won't lose any sleep over it if it happens. Bates has done some good things here, but he has not been a miracle worker. Soliciting and listening to customer feedback and having a grasp on social media are not difficult qualities to replace. He has made one good hire and the jury is still out on his second. And we've already griped plenty about his football scheduling.

this
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:14 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

agreed. he's listened to feedback but not really done anything about it other than offer that changes are coming.

he's shown us his mac network and connections and, like the ladyboylover, i say no thank you to that part of the job.

that said, in the spirit of "no one could be worse than al skinner" - i don't see the school ponying up for a glamorous replacement so we'll wind up back in the same place anyway

I like Bates and think it would be a loss. Not irreplaceable, but I think BC could do a lot worse (see GDF). He's not a miracle worker, but it's worth recognizing that BC does need some miracles at this point. We came 3,000 short of selling out against USC - arguably the best OOC opponent not named ND to come to BC since Michigan in the 90s. Support is at an all-time low and it goes beyond performance issues. The alumni base has changed significantly over the last 20 years.

Also, I would like to point out that some advocate for the "CEO" type and the former CEO at Michigan has not done well as AD.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Is it time for Leahy to leave as well? We've replaced virtually every other major post at the school, maybe it's time the province changes the BC President.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I like Bates and think it would be a loss. Not irreplaceable, but I think BC could do a lot worse (see GDF). He's not a miracle worker, but it's worth recognizing that BC does need some miracles at this point. We came 3,000 short of selling out against USC - arguably the best OOC opponent not named ND to come to BC since Michigan in the 90s. Support is at an all-time low and it goes beyond performance issues. The alumni base has changed significantly over the last 20 years.

Also, I would like to point out that some advocate for the "CEO" type and the former CEO at Michigan has not done well as AD.

"arguably the best OOC opponent not named ND" was fucking awesome comedy, nice work.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

"arguably the best OOC opponent not named ND" was fucking awesome comedy, nice work.

Well, it goes beyond record/ranking, although ND has come in as a top ten opponent before. ND is the only program to have all of their homes games on a major network. It's arguably the most high profile program in the country. I don't care that much about playing ND, but a lot of people do.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:35 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Well, it goes beyond record/ranking, although ND has come in as a top ten opponent before. ND is the only program to have all of their homes games on a major network. It's arguably the most high profile program in the country. I don't care that much about playing ND, but a lot of people do.

The top 10 ND team was terrible and we played them in South Bend, no? Josh Ott? Regardless, #9 USC is by far the best OOC opponent BC has played since Ohio State in the first Henning season. And ND is not close unless you go back to ND in the early 90s.

My reasons for not renewing were all performance based, will likely renew next season
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:36 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Is it time for Leahy to leave as well? We've replaced virtually every other major post at the school, maybe it's time the province changes the BC President.

how much longer for the light the world campaign?

after that he's gone i'd imagine.

it's time for some fresh blood anyways, only monan has been president longer
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

The top 10 ND team was terrible and we played them in South Bend, no? Josh Ott? Regardless, #9 USC is by far the best OOC opponent BC has played since Ohio State in the first Henning season. And ND is not close unless you go back to ND in the early 90s.

My reasons for not renewing were all performance based,

I meant at Alumni, not overall. OSU was at the Meadowlands. As for ND, I was referring to their 1994 team, which was top ten. But whatever the case, we agree USC was a huge OOC opponent.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:18 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Is it time for Leahy to leave as well? We've replaced virtually every other major post at the school, maybe it's time the province changes the BC President.

how much longer for the light the world campaign?

after that he's gone i'd imagine.

it's time for some fresh blood anyways, only monan has been president longer

The only date I saw mentioned gifts given before "December 31, 2016." I imagine that's our timeline.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Boo Corrigan is still available.

As for Leahy... he is 10 years past his BC President Expiration Date.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:07 pm

ESPN article on Michigan fans calling for a new AD.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ris-injury
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:ESPN article on Michigan fans calling for a new AD.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ris-injury

Interesting post on mgoblog.com, which is mentioned in the article. It seems familiar: http://mgoblog.com/content/hokepoints-keep-believing#more

I feel like you could replace Michigan with "BC" and it says the same thing:

Michigan will have this problem for a long time, because they've spent the last few years chasing away any fan who won't pony up more money than a typical household can justify, because they've obliterated the student experience which spit out guys like me for generations, and because for most of Michigan's home games this year the thing on the line is "either we cream them or we're not very good."

Losing teams always get less follow than winning ones, but there's far more at play with this team, because the athletic department has been driving off fans with mercenary policies. Of course the stadium is filled with fair-weather fans; a big portion of them only went because they were offered free tickets and the weather was fair.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:36 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}::chewbanka
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:"Tailgating starts 3 hours prior to kickoff" really means "You can start driving your car onto Shea Field (or wherever else) 3 hours prior."

A decent compromise would be to open the lots for a period of time on Friday night. Say something like "From 6PM-10PM, you can park your car in your spot for the game on Saturday." No tailgating would be allowed at that time, obviously, but at least then you would have the majority of cars parked on Friday which would cut down on traffic Saturday. Concerns about traffic on Friday would be justified, especially during rush hour, but you're affording a four hour window to park allowing people to spread out when they arrive.

A decent compromise would be that the lots open at 8:00 the morning of Gameday regardless of kickoff time. Traffic issues would be resolved as there would be no crush getting onto campus (folks would just arrive organically). If you want to give the city a win, restrict post-game tailgating to 2-hours (zero for night games). BC should also do away with all the self-imposed, nonsensical nanny-state rules they have for things like access to Shea or playing games, etc.

is there a situation where theres more than 2 hrs of post game tailgating?

agree with your idea, unfortunately it will never happen though.

Is there any reason in theory BC can't just tell the neighbors "fuck you, this is private land"??
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:12 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:"Tailgating starts 3 hours prior to kickoff" really means "You can start driving your car onto Shea Field (or wherever else) 3 hours prior."

A decent compromise would be to open the lots for a period of time on Friday night. Say something like "From 6PM-10PM, you can park your car in your spot for the game on Saturday." No tailgating would be allowed at that time, obviously, but at least then you would have the majority of cars parked on Friday which would cut down on traffic Saturday. Concerns about traffic on Friday would be justified, especially during rush hour, but you're affording a four hour window to park allowing people to spread out when they arrive.

A decent compromise would be that the lots open at 8:00 the morning of Gameday regardless of kickoff time. Traffic issues would be resolved as there would be no crush getting onto campus (folks would just arrive organically). If you want to give the city a win, restrict post-game tailgating to 2-hours (zero for night games). BC should also do away with all the self-imposed, nonsensical nanny-state rules they have for things like access to Shea or playing games, etc.

Is there any reason in theory BC can't just tell the neighbors "fuck you, this is private land"??

open container? :shrug

i think there may be a lawyer or two on here that could tell us why
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:21 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

open container? :shrug

i think there may be a lawyer or two on here that could tell us why

Maybe not legal, just the good neighbor, "man for others" blah blah blah

We should just slowly keep buying all the homes around the school and bulldoze them.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:16 am

The city of Boston provides the school with an entertainment license to hold games. It is my understanding that they have historically tied the parking times to those licenses. That said, I do not believe the city has also proscribed the other nannying rules like who is allowed on Shea, central sources, bringing beer to another tailgate, prohibition on game playing, etc.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:34 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

I'm no real estate lawyer, but here is my quess: generally speaking, the "this is my land and I can do what I want" argument kinda works in limited circumstances where you are just doing something private on your land that does not violated any permitted zoning use. But when BC hosts a major sporting event it is conducting commercial activity, and because of zoning restrictions we need permits to invite 44,000 (or, more realistically, 35,000) people onto campus for commercial purposes. Plus we rely on local governments (law enforcement for traffic control, security, ambulance and fire on occassion, etc. for major sporting events. BC also probably needs to seek all kinds of variances whenever it wants to put up a new building, which can get bogged down if local pols decide their citizens are really upset about the number of kids throwing up on their laws, traffic, etc. during football games. As a result, we need to negotiate this kind of thing or municipal authorities could make future zoning or permitting difficult. So BC is forced to play the local political game and make some concessions to prevent local authorities from making life too difficult (or expensive) for BC.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:35 am

I don't understand why they don't make comm ave garage individual game parking and beacon season parking with assigned spots (ie ability to park next to your friends if you desire or something). try it for a year and see if you generate more revenue. if you do, keep it, if not, go back to the old system.

it would not surprise me if the idiots who run this stuff quickly found that they'd make a hell of a lot more money that way (like they learned w individual game parking on brighton. which is comical bc I and many other sensible people here were begging them to do this for years. somehow the people who run this stuff mustve been art history majors)
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MVEagle on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:14 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I don't understand why they don't make comm ave garage individual game parking and beacon season parking with assigned spots (ie ability to park next to your friends if you desire or something). try it for a year and see if you generate more revenue. if you do, keep it, if not, go back to the old system.

it would not surprise me if the idiots who run this stuff quickly found that they'd make a hell of a lot more money that way (like they learned w individual game parking on brighton. which is comical bc I and many other sensible people here were begging them to do this for years. somehow the people who run this stuff mustve been art history majors)

Richard Tresch probably laughs at BC's tailgating and parking policies. It's dumb that you cannot "tailgate" on Brighton either. Which by the way is a joke. Walking back to Brighton from a game last year I saw at least a half dozen people who broke out a table and a few chairs and a bag of chips. No one said anything. BC probably argues that the neighbors are a concern, but you literally have no reason to interact with neighbors. There's a shuttle that picks you up and drives you into the stadium and if you decide to walk, you're walking through to the entrance to Comm Ave. Literally zero need to go around to the neigborhood.
MVEagle
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:32 am

MVEagle {l Wrote}:... Literally zero need to go around to the neigborhood.

except to stop and urinate on flowers, of course
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MVEagle on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 am

If you'd stop doing that every game we might be able to build that walkway over Comm Ave.
MVEagle
n00b

Postby angrychicken on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 am

That will certainly piss off the residents. Only Michael Pahre is allowed to urinate in public. He's the neighborhood's designated pisser.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby MVEagle on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:55 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

That will certainly piss off the residents. Only Michael Pahre is allowed to urinate in public. He's the neighborhood's designated pisser.

Whatever you do don't touch those flowers. He evidently spent time in Ghana, so he probably has Ebola. http://www.pahre.net/about-me.html
MVEagle
n00b

Postby MrAwesomeII on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:12 am

You fuckin people better shut up about this stuff.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:28 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
We should just slowly keep buying all the homes around the school and bulldoze them.

Seriously, that house on the corner of Beacon and Reservoir was on the market for more than a year and BC didn't buy it. Is there a zoning issue that prevents them from buying residential land without jumping through hoops?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:33 am

Seriously, just stop before they shut down the whole operation.

We've finally got a good thing going, despite the loss Saturday. The last thing we need is for it to get screwed up on account of the negativity.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:08 pm

MVEagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:I don't understand why they don't make comm ave garage individual game parking and beacon season parking with assigned spots (ie ability to park next to your friends if you desire or something). try it for a year and see if you generate more revenue. if you do, keep it, if not, go back to the old system.

Richard Tresch probably laughs at BC's tailgating and parking policies. It's dumb that you cannot "tailgate" on Brighton either. Which by the way is a joke. Walking back to Brighton from a game last year I saw at least a half dozen people who broke out a table and a few chairs and a bag of chips. No one said anything. BC probably argues that the neighbors are a concern, but you literally have no reason to interact with neighbors. There's a shuttle that picks you up and drives you into the stadium and if you decide to walk, you're walking through to the entrance to Comm Ave. Literally zero need to go around to the neigborhood.

You have a lot of the same observations as BCMurt. (I hope I do not get murtered) :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:53 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
MVEagle {l Wrote}:

You have a lot of the same observations as BCMurt. (I hope I do not get murtered) :ace

And they both wear a lot of Vineyard Vines :bag
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:40 pm

talon
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium