2014 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2014 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:56 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I like that we have him as a DE and they are recruiting him as a LB. I really hope he holds as he is sounding more and more like something we haven't had since Kiwi.

I agree. It will be a long time until signing day for this one.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:14 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I like that we have him as a DE and they are recruiting him as a LB. I really hope he holds as he is sounding more and more like something we haven't had since Kiwi.

Reality is that getting legit high level guys means we'll probably have a few of these (although I guess we did with Spaz too, we just never had any expectation they'd stick with BC). Hopefully we'll have a few work the other way for us too and we'll flip some guys at the end from other places. In any event this just reinforces that Daz is off to a great recruiting start for 2014. 2013's end still seems really weird but I'm happy he's making up for it.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 am

Part of the deal with getting better recruits - you want to play with the big boys, you have to find a way to fend them off. So far, the sales pitch looks so good that they have the committed players doing resale. But I suspect that with this recruiting strategy there will be some players that get poached by the bigger schools.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:38 am

i'd take the tradeoff every time between having guys no one else wants and having guys the biggest programs go after.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 am

I think a lot of our success in holding these guys will do with how we do in 2013. Even just going 6-6 and making a bowl, which is not a particularly lofty goal, really would help the narrative that Daz is turning it around. That in turn should help keeping guys in the fold.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 am

I see that according to EA, BC is pushing hard for a decision from Figaro.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 am

31southst {l Wrote}:I think a lot of our success in holding these guys will do with how we do in 2013. Even just going 6-6 and making a bowl, which is not a particularly lofty goal, really would help the narrative that Daz is turning it around. That in turn should help keeping guys in the fold.

I don't think that will be a factor at all. The sales pitch here is "be the man turning around the program", not "come join a program I will have already turned around a bit without you". I think they are selling people on the fact that Rettig will be gone next year and all the jobs will be open. Whether Rettig squeezes out 4 wins or 7 is largely irrelevant.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I actually think that if we hold him through this initial period, we will be good. If he doesn't bite on SCarolina and Clemson now, I think the only schools we have to worry about going forward are UNC, ND and maybe Stanford or Vandy. This is all subject to us not sucking. We win only 4 games... all bets are off.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 am

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:I see that according to EA, BC is pushing hard for a decision from Figaro.

I'm all for that. I like him a lot. Having two 6'1 corners who run 4.5 40's would be nice. Kind of like what the Seahawks have
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:I think a lot of our success in holding these guys will do with how we do in 2013. Even just going 6-6 and making a bowl, which is not a particularly lofty goal, really would help the narrative that Daz is turning it around. That in turn should help keeping guys in the fold.

I don't think that will be a factor at all. The sales pitch here is "be the man turning around the program", not "come join a program I will have already turned around a bit without you". I think they are selling people on the fact that Rettig will be gone next year and all the jobs will be open. Whether Rettig squeezes out 4 wins or 7 is largely irrelevant.

I get your point and agree for the initial selling point, but I think success in the form of not being terrible will matter for the holding part. It's a lot easier to stick with BC in the spring with Daz's pitch than it would be when Clemson/South Carolina/etc. are playing in a BCS bowl and BC won 3 or 4 games. Look at someone like Gunnar Kiel and Indiana - staying committed to a crappy school is a lot easier to do when the school isn't losing every week. That said, any time I'm holding Gunnar Kiel out as an example is a recipe for disaster.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:15 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree with 31. While you are selling kids on bringing the program back. They have to see marked improvement to have faith that this staff is capable of delivering it. It might not make a difference for kids who were a BC lean regardless of the coaching staff... but, it certainly could be the difference in holding onto kids like Landry and Outlow (who are now looking like they can have their pick of ANY school).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:18 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree with 31. While you are selling kids on bringing the program back. They have to see marked improvement to have faith that this staff is capable of delivering it. It might not make a difference for kids who were a BC lean regardless of the coaching staff... but, it certainly could be the difference in holding onto kids like Landry and Outlow (who are now looking like they can have their pick of ANY school).

Unless the pitch is that the team has no talent and needs them to bring it back, or something like that.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:19 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:I see that according to EA, BC is pushing hard for a decision from Figaro.

I'm all for that. I like him a lot. Having two 6'1 corners who run 4.5 40's would be nice. Kind of like what the Seahawks have

Sounds like he is not biting just yet (as he wants to wait for other offers). In truth, he is handling it correctly. I'd rather have him be solid when he commits than have him decommit after we stopped recruiting the position.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:20 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

4 wins is easily explained. "The last guy didn't recruit players like you"

I suspect that the kids signing on now believe that the program won't be good again until they get there and make a difference. Good, I like that attitude. And although Rettig may cover some blemishes and squeeze out 6 or 7 wins, they'd be right.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 am

Recruits actively recruiting other recruits is a good sign they will stick. I haven't been this positive about recruiting in some time.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Unless the pitch is that the team has no talent and needs them to bring it back, or something like that.

Let's not start fabricating excuses as if your last name was Spaziani. Addazio is publicly telling the world that he thinks he can get BC back to a bowl THIS YEAR. I'm sure that is the same message he is selling recruits (at the very least, I'll wait until I see something reported to the contrary (as opposed to unsubstantiated message board conjecture)).

These are kids... they will need something tangible. What you want here is to acquire a solid class over the Summer... and then go on to win a better-than-expected number of games. That will (a) help keep your early verbal class together, (b) help close on the kids you are looking to round out the class with and (c) set you up very nicely for the all important second recruiting class (the program need back2back good classes to regain its footing).

Daz is doing it right... despite of the angst he may be give you for daring to raise expectations from the artificially low levels you hope to set.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I suspect that the kids signing on now believe that the program won't be good again until they get there and make a difference. Good, I like that attitude. And although Rettig may cover some blemishes and squeeze out 6 or 7 wins, they'd be right.

I think it should be easily explained but you're underestimating how hard it will be for some kids who aren't 100% BC to pick a 4 win school when they have 10 or 11 win schools in their ear. I also don't think 6-6 is "good"; it's just not terrible (remember, more than half of the FBS teams make bowls). I think you're point about not being good without the new guys still holds, but "good" should be viewed as competing for championships, no scraping to make a bowl.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:49 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Let's not start fabricating excuses as if your last name was Spaziani. Addazio is publicly telling the world that he thinks he can get BC back to a bowl THIS YEAR. I'm sure that is the same message he is selling recruits (at the very least, I'll wait until I see something reported to the contrary (as opposed to unsubstantiated message board conjecture)).

These are kids... they will need something tangible. What you want here is to acquire a solid class over the Summer... and then go on to win a better-than-expected number of games. That will (a) help keep your early verbal class together, (b) help close on the kids you are looking to round out the class with and (c) set you up very nicely for the all important second recruiting class (the program need back2back good classes to regain its footing).

Daz is doing it right... despite of the angst he may be give you for daring to raise expectations from the artificially low levels you hope to set.

The fact that Daz should get back to a bowl and the recruiting pitch for athletes for next season, when the QB and RB graduate, are utterly unrelated.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:49 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

How is that an excuse? please re-read, you're retarded.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:51 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I think it should be easily explained but you're underestimating how hard it will be for some kids who aren't 100% BC to pick a 4 win school when they have 10 or 11 win schools in their ear. I also don't think 6-6 is "good"; it's just not terrible (remember, more than half of the FBS teams make bowls). I think you're point about not being good without the new guys still holds, but "good" should be viewed as competing for championships, no scraping to make a bowl.

These kids just picked a 2 win school, never mind a 4 win school. I find it hard to believe that current success was a factor in that decision at all.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:These kids just picked a 2 win school, never mind a 4 win school. I find it hard to believe that current success was a factor in that decision at all.

True but you're also ignoring the whole coaching change that happened in between. That's a very mitigating factor on the 2 win thing.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No one thinks nor said 6-6 is good.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:56 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:These kids just picked a 2 win school, never mind a 4 win school. I find it hard to believe that current success was a factor in that decision at all.

True but you're also ignoring the whole coaching change that happened in between. That's a very mitigating factor on the 2 win thing.

True, but you're ignoring the obvious fact that the coaches didn't get to change the players that won 2 games. Until they started calling these guys that just committed.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

True, but you're ignoring the obvious fact that the coaches didn't get to change the players that won 2 games. Until they started calling these guys that just committed.

Good salesmen... like Schiano and Zook and like many believe Daz is... do not hedge. They do not manage expectations. They sell not only the vision but the belief in attaining it immediately. Like most salesmen, they don't spend one moment thinking about their credibility if their overly optimistic predictions don't come to pass. They will deal with that if the need arises. They are all about doing and saying whatever it is to close.

Schiano, when he first got the job from Terry Shea, talked about winning a National Championship at Rutgers in his introductory presser. THAT is what he sold to the kids too. Only when the year was over and he didn't win more than 4 games, did he come up with excuses... but the excuses were always linked to next year being the year that it turns around. Telling a top recruit that the entire roster sucks means you are not landing them. They are not signing onto a multi-year rebuild. What they are signing up for is to immediately make a bowl game and then win the ACC by their Junior season.

I don't know if people are experiencing Battered Wife Syndrome from the Spazoo Error, but I believe Daz is doing it right here... and selling kids on his ability to IMMEDIATELY turn it around. Heck... Landry had a tweet the other day calling BC "the best program in the ACC!!!" That doesn't sound like a kid who got off the phone with Coach Eeyore telling him that BC's problems are directly related to it not having talent but that he is signing up anyway to be a part of a long painful re-build.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

Good salesmen... like Schiano and Zook and like many believe Daz is... do not hedge. They do not manage expectations. They sell not only the vision but the belief in attaining it immediately. Like most salesmen, they don't spend one moment thinking about their credibility if their overly optimistic predictions don't come to pass. They will deal with that if the need arises. They are all about doing and saying whatever it is to close.

Schiano, when he first got the job from Terry Shea, talked about winning a National Championship at Rutgers in his introductory presser. THAT is what he sold to the kids too. Only when the year was over and he didn't win more than 4 games, did he come up with excuses... but the excuses were always linked to next year being the year that it turns around. Telling a top recruit that the entire roster sucks means you are not landing them. They are not signing onto a multi-year rebuild. What they are signing up for is to immediately make a bowl game and then win the ACC by their Junior season.

I don't know if people are experiencing Battered Wife Syndrome from the Spazoo Error, but I believe Daz is doing it right here... and selling kids on his ability to IMMEDIATELY turn it around. Heck... Landry had a tweet the other day calling BC "the best program in the ACC!!!" That doesn't sound like a kid who got off the phone with Coach Eeyore telling him that BC's problems are directly related to it not having talent but that he is signing up anyway to be a part of a long painful re-build.

You completely made up his sales pitch and then you said he was doing it right. That's awesome.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 am

Using Schiano as an example of the necessity of immediate success. I don't even know.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:49 am

Norwich Bulletin {l Wrote}:Prior to that, it appeared Outlow had his heart set on the University of Florida, which also offered him a scholarship.

“They were thinking about me playing possibly in my junior year, and I understand that,” Outlow said. “At Florida or Ohio State, there will be guys ahead of you that you have to compete against.”
Outlow wanted to come in and make “an instant impact.”

“B.C. offered that,” he said. “They said, ‘Here you go, this can be your team, you can be the spearhead of the class and the man (Boston College) rotates the offense around.”
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:06 pm

"Yeah, they're coming off two bad years, but with the coaching staff that's coming in from Temple and the accomplishments coach Addazio has had, they have a chance to compete for multiple conference championships." - Darius Wade, April 8, 2013
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:10 pm

"I like dicks and pictures of dicks." - TRE, everyday.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:"Yeah, they're coming off two bad years, but with the coaching staff that's coming in from Temple and the accomplishments coach Addazio has had, they have a chance to compete for multiple conference championships." - Darius Wade, April 8, 2013

And this proves my point. He's talking "multiple championships" which, by definition, cannot be completed until Wade is on campus.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium