2014 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2014 Recruiting Thread

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 am

New offer out to 3-star S T.J. Harrell out of Tampa. Top 3 is currently FSU, Louisville, MSU. FSU appears to be his leader at this point.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The NFL thing will be a fun fad right up until RGIII and Kaepernick get killed. Wilson is a legit pro style QB.

I didn't mention RGIII for that reason. But I think Kaepernick has staying power. They work to establish his passing game pretty reliably.

Don't think its a fad. Not every athletic mobile QB will be successful, and we're not going to see 32 teams running it, but smart coaches will use the right QB successfully this way. So I guess we can expect to see it in a handful of orgs done successfully.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I think this closes the door on Ulmer. It may be why Wade announced ahead of the weekend. Nonetheless, I think you can't wait around. Wade was made a priority by the staff. They fought some decent schools for him. A bird in hand...

Will be interesting to see who the second QB becomes. I think you will see them being a little more liberal with their QB offers if they get the likely impression that Ulmer is gone.

Also, I don't think we should underestimate the changes that go along with having a lefty QB. It makes it somewhat difficult to swap the player in and out especially for the OL (as the RT is the one who protects the blindside) and the WRs (ball has a different spin).

Talked to someone who attended the Rivals event in Toms River on Sunday. He didn't watch Outlaw, but said everyone was raving about him and all were saying he'll never stick with BC (I think it's more he's "too good to stick with BC" than anything coming from the kid). He did see Wade briefly. Said he was merely OK, but that it wasn't really a great forum for to showcase QBs (he didn't seem overly impressed with the drills they had them run).

I agree that this closes the door with Ulmer (at least as a QB) but if BC was able to land a second QB like Wolford that would still be a hell of a QB class. With the obvious ties to him its not the most unlikely scenario either (although he does currently have a Miss St offer and some larger offers will probably follow).

On a side note, 24 mentioned it on twitter this AM and I agree, Outlow is going to climb as time goes on in all the recruiting site rankings, hes a much better back then any of these sites are giving him credit for
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I think this closes the door on Ulmer. It may be why Wade announced ahead of the weekend. Nonetheless, I think you can't wait around. Wade was made a priority by the staff. They fought some decent schools for him. A bird in hand...

Will be interesting to see who the second QB becomes. I think you will see them being a little more liberal with their QB offers if they get the likely impression that Ulmer is gone.

Also, I don't think we should underestimate the changes that go along with having a lefty QB. It makes it somewhat difficult to swap the player in and out especially for the OL (as the RT is the one who protects the blindside) and the WRs (ball has a different spin).

Talked to someone who attended the Rivals event in Toms River on Sunday. He didn't watch Outlaw, but said everyone was raving about him and all were saying he'll never stick with BC (I think it's more he's "too good to stick with BC" than anything coming from the kid). He did see Wade briefly. Said he was merely OK, but that it wasn't really a great forum for to showcase QBs (he didn't seem overly impressed with the drills they had them run).

The bolder is pretty much exactly how I feel. Although I don't think we are totally out on Ulmer for a couple reasons. Also Outlow was the best player at that combine by far from what I'm told. Not concerned with him flipping though he's been as good of a recruiter as the staff he wants to be the center piece of a rebuild here.

Nothing I wrote was anything remotely negative. I'm surprised 9903 was so quick to jump to such a conclusion.

The truth is I know next to nothing about either of them as prospects (I don't usually read-up on the eleventy billion kids who have vague interest in BC at this stage... I usually wait until I hear about a kid getting ready to commit... or later on when we only have a few targets left). From the very little film I've seen, Ulmer is faster and more nimble and Wade has a better arm. The accuracy of both seem to be evolving. Wade's offers (some considerable) were all at QB. Many of Ulmer's best offers are at positions other than QB. However, any impartial reader of this thread would walk away believing that that Ulmer was the board's (if not the coaching staff's) top priority at QB. Hell, the second post after the announcement asks what this means for Ulmer's recruitment. My post was defending Daz against any thoughts of slow-playing waiting for Ulmer. You have no effing idea what the kid is going to do. If you have a kid you really like who wants to commit... you take him and worry about how that effects your pie-in-the-sky (who will likely never come) recruit later.

I just watched the attatched YouTube highlight film. I think that Wade has a nice smooth, compact throwing motion. He is surprisingly accurate while on the move and shows his considerable arm strength in those situations (as his feet aren't set). When he is set, he has to be aware of not dropping his back shoulder... which results in there being too much air under the ball... which will result in easy picks at the college level. However, when he is set... and he keeps his shoulders level... and actually steps into his throws... we are talking ropes. As for him being a lefty, while it is a challenge for the O to adjust to, it is also a challenge to defend (since teams don't really have adequate time or ability to prepare for a southpaw QB).

As for Outlow (Outlaw if you are typing on a phone with autocorrect), I was just reporting what I had heard... and even noted that it wasn't coming from the kid... more coming from the Rivals ogglers incredulous that a 2-10 team could land and keep him. I am encouraged as others have commented that he has been out there recruiting for BC. However, I will note that it sometimes backfires if the kid can't get anyone to go with him to his desired school (let's also point out that Daz's 2013 QB recruit was a the biggest recruiter for Ohio before landing a BC offer). Regardless of Outlow's level of commitment, BC needs another top RB in this class badly. We also need another QB as the depth chart is otherwise barron. Nonetheless, it's an excellent start... and refreshing as hell after BC not even trying to recruit under Spazoo. But, we still got a ways to go as I think we will come in around 23 or so commits this year. And, given the status of previous classes, all 23 need to be good.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 am

I was agreeing with what you had said I mean you have to take what you can get at this stage. You certainly don't turn down Wade in the hopes of landing Ulmer. What I'd like to see the staff do is tell Ulmer you get your first shot at QB if you get beat you play a Percy Harvin role. And yeah there are no guarantees in recruiting and generally commitments this early don't mean too much but I think Outlow is a guy who sticks with BC. Obviously anything could happen and the big schools will continue to come after Outlow.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

The bolder is pretty much exactly how I feel. Although I don't think we are totally out on Ulmer for a couple reasons. Also Outlow was the best player at that combine by far from what I'm told. Not concerned with him flipping though he's been as good of a recruiter as the staff he wants to be the center piece of a rebuild here.

Nothing I wrote was anything remotely negative. I'm surprised 9903 was so quick to jump to such a conclusion.

The truth is I know next to nothing about either of them as prospects (I don't usually read-up on the eleventy billion kids who have vague interest in BC at this stage... I usually wait until I hear about a kid getting ready to commit... or later on when we only have a few targets left). From the very little film I've seen, Ulmer is faster and more nimble and Wade has a better arm. The accuracy of both seem to be evolving. Wade's offers (some considerable) were all at QB. Many of Ulmer's best offers are at positions other than QB. However, any impartial reader of this thread would walk away believing that that Ulmer was the board's (if not the coaching staff's) top priority at QB. Hell, the second post after the announcement asks what this means for Ulmer's recruitment. My post was defending Daz against any thoughts of slow-playing waiting for Ulmer. You have no effing idea what the kid is going to do. If you have a kid you really like who wants to commit... you take him and worry about how that effects your pie-in-the-sky (who will likely never come) recruit later.

I just watched the attatched YouTube highlight film. I think that Wade has a nice smooth, compact throwing motion. He is surprisingly accurate while on the move and shows his considerable arm strength in those situations (as his feet aren't set). When he is set, he has to be aware of not dropping his back shoulder... which results in there being too much air under the ball... which will result in easy picks at the college level. However, when he is set... and he keeps his shoulders level... and actually steps into his throws... we are talking ropes. As for him being a lefty, while it is a challenge for the O to adjust to, it is also a challenge to defend (since teams don't really have adequate time or ability to prepare for a southpaw QB).

As for Outlow (Outlaw if you are typing on a phone with autocorrect), I was just reporting what I had heard... and even noted that it wasn't coming from the kid... more coming from the Rivals ogglers incredulous that a 2-10 team could land and keep him. I am encouraged as others have commented that he has been out there recruiting for BC. However, I will note that it sometimes backfires if the kid can't get anyone to go with him to his desired school (let's also point out that Daz's 2013 QB recruit was a the biggest recruiter for Ohio before landing a BC offer). Regardless of Outlow's level of commitment, BC needs another top RB in this class badly. We also need another QB as the depth chart is otherwise barron. Nonetheless, it's an excellent start... and refreshing as hell after BC not even trying to recruit under Spazoo. But, we still got a ways to go as I think we will come in around 23 or so commits this year. And, given the status of previous classes, all 23 need to be good.

Your post wasn't particularly negative. Its just funny and predictable that your immediate reaction to getting one QB on paper decent commit is to immediately point out that it means it decreases the chances we get another QB on paper decent commit.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 am

Outlow clearly knew that he was committing to a rebuilding project and that he would be given a chance to be the man in a ground heavy offense. He also knows they need to recruit other backs.

He may waver, but I would be surprised - there was no need for him to commit if he wanted a bigger school.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 am

Here are Wade's SOPH highlights
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:56 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Outlow clearly knew that he was committing to a rebuilding project and that he would be given a chance to be the man in a ground heavy offense. He also knows they need to recruit other backs.

He may waver, but I would be surprised - there was no need for him to commit if he wanted a bigger school.

The need for him to commit is to lock in BC just in case the big boys don't offer. I am not saying he is doing this - just indicating that there is still a benefit to committing if he secretly wants a bigger school.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Outlow clearly knew that he was committing to a rebuilding project and that he would be given a chance to be the man in a ground heavy offense. He also knows they need to recruit other backs.

The need for him to commit is to lock in BC just in case the big boys don't offer. I am not saying he is doing this - just indicating that there is still a benefit to committing if he secretly wants a bigger school.

If he actually has an Ohio State or Oregon offer then this fact pattern doesn't really apply.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:03 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Here are Wade's SOPH highlights

#12 is Chris Godwin who is a 4 star WR, in his junior year highlights he's all over the place. BC has offered but It seems like Ped State is the leader.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:21 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:

Maybe, but he supposedly already has bigger offers and has already blown up. Also, I don't buy this theory for a guy like this - he's good enough that BC would find him a schollie if he waited.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I am surprised that you would go to this angle when our really overrated recruiter of a head coach just landed a QB with a few nice BCS offers.

Did you really expect HomoJS to be happy?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
Did you really expect HomoJS to be happy?

recently spotted in spring lake

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:09 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

#12 is Chris Godwin who is a 4 star WR, in his junior year highlights he's all over the place. BC has offered but It seems like Ped State is the leader.

The production quality on these videos is absurd. Is this what a film major buys you these days? A career in recruiting videos? Was that Michael Bay directing that one.

Either way, I'm fucking psyched! :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:21 pm

one of you 247 weirdos, who is the WR that Wade is trying to recruit?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:30 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:one of you 247 weirdos, who is the WR that Wade is trying to recruit?

I believe Thaddius Smith.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:31 pm

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:one of you 247 weirdos, who is the WR that Wade is trying to recruit?

thanks
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:40 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:

thanks

Thaddius has BC as his top according to 247. I believe he told them he was likely to commit. Him, Outlow, and Jonathan Thomas have talked about all playing together. Thomas being an in state recruit...he would prob commit at some point if addazio wanted him enough
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:

thanks

Thaddius has BC as his top according to 247. I believe he told them he was likely to commit. Him, Outlow, and Jonathan Thomas have talked about all playing together. Thomas being an in state recruit...he would prob commit at some point if addazio wanted him enough

JTT?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Almost on key after I said it Outlow tweeted

Once my bros Thadd and Johnny commit. Things gonna get poppin forreal..
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:Almost on key after I said it Outlow tweeted

cue.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Almost on key after I said it Outlow tweeted

cue.

i prefer...

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:41 pm

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:

He is recruiting his high school teammate Chris Godwin.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 pm

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:

He is recruiting his high school teammate Chris Godwin.

I don't have a subscription, but this made a lot more sense to me considering he is a 4 star WR on the same team as Wade. Smith is being recruited by Outlow.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:49 pm

In my opinion the more top notch guys we get early, the less likely people will go elsewhere. They'll see the potential for a program changing class.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:57 pm

I find it unique and encouraging that Outlow is recruiting another RB to join him in the class.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:28 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Ya I want bc to get #12. Monster

Haven't checked in for a bit, awesome news. Kid looks legit.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Someone on TOS thinks Thadd Smith is close to committing to BC, FWIW.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Someone on TOS thinks Thadd Smith is close to committing to BC, FWIW.

247 has him as the highest rated player in the state of PA
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium