2014 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2014 Recruiting Thread

Postby thebigskinny31 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:247 shows ILB Christian Lezzer as a top choice right now, Other offers are Kent State & Temple. Interest from PSU, Pitt, Maryland, Rutgers.

they tweeted it

For what it's worth Cameron Songletary RB from FL & Lubern Figaro(has undone the retweet) retweeted it.... Story is about Christian Lezzer though.
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Sounds like if he commits, it'll be this weekend.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:36 pm

TE Trey Klock got an offer too. No other BCS offers yet.

Also, based on the front page of EA, looks like QB Darius Wade is on board, chose us over Nebraska, NC State, and Cuse. Very big get.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 pm

thebigskinny31 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:247 shows ILB Christian Lezzer as a top choice right now, Other offers are Kent State & Temple. Interest from PSU, Pitt, Maryland, Rutgers.

they tweeted it

For what it's worth Cameron Songletary RB from FL & Lubern Figaro(has undone the retweet) retweeted it.... Story is about Christian Lezzer though.

On a side note, Singletary was up this past weekend with John Wolford and had alot of positive things to say about BC (and about Washington specifically who I believe is recruiting him) on twitter. EA says he has no offers yet (interest from big time schools) but I think BC eventually offers and based on his glowing review I could easily see him commit.

The news on Wade is huge. I thought he was a goner after he had alot of positive things to say about Nebraska. Wade throws a really good ball and is very mobile. From his tape, I think he is a better thrower than Ulmer, but Ulmer is prob a bit faster/quicker and a better playmaker on his feet
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Addazio has been more than impressive on getting visits from these players. Their biggest visit yet is set for this weekend for Will Ulmer. If they land him then we have 2 A list QBs
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Big time commit for obvious reasons. Now I wonder if he can get Godwin up here on a visit.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:15 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Big time commit for obvious reasons. Now I wonder if he can get Godwin up here on a visit.

24 do you think the wade commitment kills any chance of Ulmer having continued interest going forward ?
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby NJM89 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Huge pickup no doubt. Daz got his dual threat and is also a damn good passer. Just took a visit to Ohio State recently too. You know how Urban is with his dual threat qbs and finding good players.

NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Big time commit for obvious reasons. Now I wonder if he can get Godwin up here on a visit.

24 do you think the wade commitment kills any chance of Ulmer having continued interest going forward ?

Depends on what they've been telling him. If they've been telling him 2 QBs all along then I doubt it changes much. Plus he's becoming more open to playing a position other then QB so I don't think it chances it a ton unless they said he was their guy and they were taking 1. Even if thats the case I can't blame them you cant so no to Wade he's too good to pass up. Wll certainly be interesting.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby Iggle on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Can't deny it, I'm pretty dazzled right now.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Darius Wade gave some credit to (now fellow) #BCEagles commit Marcus Outlow (@PrinceOutlow) for his commitment.

Cool.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:11 pm

We have some pretty impressive early commits. This could be a really good class.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:01 am

VERY early but 247 has BC ranked as the 27th class in the country, off a 2-10 season that's pretty fucking impressive
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby thebigskinny31 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:05 am

In the Wade article he says he's going to talk to Coach Day about who to recruit but knows WR Thaddius Smith (PA) is a top target for BC. Has offers from BC, James Madison, UMass, Rutgers, Temple, & Toledo. Interest from Georgia, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan St, ND, Nebraska, Penn St, Pitt, Gamecocks, Cuse, Vandy, WVU, & Wisconsin... 24/7 has him as a top 150 player (Ranked 149)
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:28 am

I think this closes the door on Ulmer. It may be why Wade announced ahead of the weekend. Nonetheless, I think you can't wait around. Wade was made a priority by the staff. They fought some decent schools for him. A bird in hand...

Will be interesting to see who the second QB becomes. I think you will see them being a little more liberal with their QB offers if they get the likely impression that Ulmer is gone.

Also, I don't think we should underestimate the changes that go along with having a lefty QB. It makes it somewhat difficult to swap the player in and out especially for the OL (as the RT is the one who protects the blindside) and the WRs (ball has a different spin).

Talked to someone who attended the Rivals event in Toms River on Sunday. He didn't watch Outlaw, but said everyone was raving about him and all were saying he'll never stick with BC (I think it's more he's "too good to stick with BC" than anything coming from the kid). He did see Wade briefly. Said he was merely OK, but that it wasn't really a great forum for to showcase QBs (he didn't seem overly impressed with the drills they had them run).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I think this closes the door on Ulmer. It may be why Wade announced ahead of the weekend. Nonetheless, I think you can't wait around. Wade was made a priority by the staff. They fought some decent schools for him. A bird in hand...

Will be interesting to see who the second QB becomes. I think you will see them being a little more liberal with their QB offers if they get the likely impression that Ulmer is gone.

Also, I don't think we should underestimate the changes that go along with having a lefty QB. It makes it somewhat difficult to swap the player in and out especially for the OL (as the RT is the one who protects the blindside) and the WRs (ball has a different spin).

Talked to someone who attended the Rivals event in Toms River on Sunday. He didn't watch Outlaw, but said everyone was raving about him and all were saying he'll never stick with BC (I think it's more he's "too good to stick with BC" than anything coming from the kid). He did see Wade briefly. Said he was merely OK, but that it wasn't really a great forum for to showcase QBs (he didn't seem overly impressed with the drills they had them run).

I think you're underselling Wade and overselling Ulmer as QBs. Ulmer's offer list is clearly more impressive, but I think (and very well could be wrong) that some of his better offers are as an ATH more than a QB. Anyway, I certainly agree with you that you can't wait around, especially since Ulmer has often mentioned taking all of his visits and deciding closer to signing day. Besides, if Ulmer is that good, he should still see that there's a real path to winning our job as a true freshman. As to the second QB in the class, based on nothing at all, I think someone like Miles Wright makes sense. Local guy (which seems to be a point of emphasis with Daz), clearly an FBS caliber QB, good enough to take a shot but not so good to scare off Wade, athletic enough to switch positions if he doesn't win the QB job.

For Outlow (is Outlaw the football Hanlon?), he does seem really good but I'm more confident about him sticking than someone like Landry. He already had huge offers when he committed. If you already turned down OSU, what bigger offers are there to get? Everything he said seems like he committed for a solid combination of reasons and he seems high on BC/is recruiting other players (Wade credited him as part of his decision). Maybe he'll switch up if we go 3-9, but I think he'll stick.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:13 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I think this closes the door on Ulmer. It may be why Wade announced ahead of the weekend. Nonetheless, I think you can't wait around. Wade was made a priority by the staff. They fought some decent schools for him. A bird in hand...

This may effect the recruitment of Ulmer as you have obviously just added competition. However, its still a more or less empty depth chart and I am almost certain they've been pretty open about 2 QBs all the way through the process.

I am surprised that you would go to this angle when our really overrated recruiter of a head coach just landed a QB with a few nice BCS offers.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:16 am

31southst {l Wrote}:

I think you're underselling Wade and overselling Ulmer as QBs. Ulmer's offer list is clearly more impressive, but I think (and very well could be wrong) that some of his better offers are as an ATH more than a QB. Anyway, I certainly agree with you that you can't wait around, especially since Ulmer has often mentioned taking all of his visits and deciding closer to signing day. Besides, if Ulmer is that good, he should still see that there's a real path to winning our job as a true freshman. As to the second QB in the class, based on nothing at all, I think someone like Miles Wright makes sense. Local guy (which seems to be a point of emphasis with Daz), clearly an FBS caliber QB, good enough to take a shot but not so good to scare off Wade, athletic enough to switch positions if he doesn't win the QB job.

For Outlow (is Outlaw the football Hanlon?), he does seem really good but I'm more confident about him sticking than someone like Landry. He already had huge offers when he committed. If you already turned down OSU, what bigger offers are there to get? Everything he said seems like he committed for a solid combination of reasons and he seems high on BC/is recruiting other players (Wade credited him as part of his decision). Maybe he'll switch up if we go 3-9, but I think he'll stick.

OutlOw seems very solid. He seems to be trying to help build the class around him. I'm sure it is a recruiting violation for a coach to encourage such things, so I'm sure the Dazzler has not done so, but it is worth noting that Schiano seemed to always have a guy or two that would be cheer leading the school after they signed. It seemed to be very effective.

Edit: I do wonder how the staff will address the RB depth chart without running off top guys already committed, ideally they should be taking 3 at least but does that start to kill the playing time message?
Last edited by eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:VERY early but 247 has BC ranked as the 27th class in the country, off a 2-10 season that's pretty fucking impressive

Rivals has them tied with Auburn & USF for 32nd.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:20 am

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:VERY early but 247 has BC ranked as the 27th class in the country, off a 2-10 season that's pretty fucking impressive

Rivals has them tied with Auburn & USF for 32nd.

I am pretty happy so far, but the recruiting rankings are stupidly weighted towards the teams with lots of recruits signed. Since this isn't likely to be a huge 25+ type class it will be hard to stay in the low 30s unless they end up with like 4-5 4 star types.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 am

The bolder is pretty much exactly how I feel. Although I don't think we are totally out on Ulmer for a couple reasons. Also Outlow was the best player at that combine by far from what I'm told. Not concerned with him flipping though he's been as good of a recruiter as the staff he wants to be the center piece of a rebuild here.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:27 am

Wade had 27 TDs and 1 pick as a junior. I imagine the competition in Delaware is somewhere between awful and abysmal, but one thing I worry about with DT QBs is picks because they throw while scrambling a lot which can lead to bad decisions. I will take 27:1.

Also, his team was 12-0 and # 1 in the state. http://www.usatodayhss.com/team/middlet ... y-football

Scored 566 pts which was 297 more than the next best in the conference and they beat Salesianum 27-0 in the state championship.
Last edited by eagle9903 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:28 am

Nothing is for certain until that fax arrives in February, but I tip my cap to Coach Addazio & Co. for actually closing on their priority targets instead of wooing them for three years and getting snubbed.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am

At this point, there is nothing to bitch about recruiting wise. He started out targeting top players, and he's actually landing some. Pretty damn impressive.

I never understood the whole not wanting to go somewhere because you recruited another player at the position. If you can't beat that other guy out, what the hell are you going to do in college anyway?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:10 am

So are all the "OMG BC can't win with dual threat QBs" signals flashing in certain parts of the internet? I'm sure it won't be long before we get a "Jags set back BC football by recruiting theses types of guys" dragged out.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:12 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So are all the "OMG BC can't win with dual threat QBs" signals flashing in certain parts of the internet? I'm sure it won't be long before we get a "Jags set back BC football by recruiting theses types of guys" dragged out.

I don't know, I spend my $9/month here so I can see dick pics.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So are all the "OMG BC can't win with dual threat QBs" signals flashing in certain parts of the internet? I'm sure it won't be long before we get a "Jags set back BC football by recruiting theses types of guys" dragged out.

There's some truth to the idea that by going dual threat QB, you are failing to use two of the three biggest sales pitches for BC - pro style QBs and big pass blocking o-linemen.

That said, it will work just fine if they get the players.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

There's some truth to the idea that by going dual threat QB, you are failing to use two of the three biggest sales pitches for BC - pro style QBs and big pass blocking o-linemen.

I get it. But the EA-type folks I'm referring to tend to take it to an extreme measure.

Plus, with the NFL game adopting a mobile QB into their offenses with success of late - San Fran and Seattle in particular - I think you have to watch the change in perception from recruits about these systems.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:30 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I get it. But the EA-type folks I'm referring to tend to take it to an extreme measure.

Plus, with the NFL game adopting a mobile QB into their offenses with success of late - San Fran and Seattle in particular - I think you have to watch the change in perception from recruits about these systems.

The NFL thing will be a fun fad right up until RGIII and Kaepernick get killed. Wilson is a legit pro style QB.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:34 am

twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium