Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby Mosi on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:46 pm

the single biggest diference in this yea steam and last years is that there is no quit out there this year, look at Saturday they kept trying at the end while you and i know that after the fuck up on the last play of the half a Spaz lead (?) team would have turttled into 75-17 loss
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:37 am

Mosi {l Wrote}:the single biggest diference in this yea steam and last years is that there is no quit out there this year, look at Saturday they kept trying at the end while you and i know that after the fuck up on the last play of the half a Spaz lead (?) team would have turttled into 75-17 loss

Also, KPL's quotes about the coaching staff still calling timeouts in a 14 point game in the last 2 minutes are telling. Kids believe that the coaches are doing everything they can to win.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 am

Willis was very impressive against FSU. I hope they can find more ways to get him the ball. It looks like they found their man for kick returns.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Excellent coaching? BC has been penalized just eight times through four games, best in the nation - 2 per game. BC also leads nation in fewest penalty yards with 16.3 per game
Last edited by NotoriousOrange on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:23 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Excellent coaching? BC has been penalized just eight times through four games, best in the nation - 2 per game. BC also leads nation in fewest penalty yards with 22.25 per game

Titanic sank, et al.

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13841#p360439
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:12 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Excellent coaching? BC has been penalized just eight times through four games, best in the nation - 2 per game. BC also leads nation in fewest penalty yards with 16.3 per game

Titanic sank, et al.

You are a little sensitive about people stealing your stuff Pedro. I advanced the story with more information (2 per game & 16.3 per game) - and also set it in a different context - examining the coaching impact. Lighten Up Pedro! (I still respeck you)
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:25 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Excellent coaching? BC has been penalized just eight times through four games, best in the nation - 2 per game. BC also leads nation in fewest penalty yards with 16.3 per game

Titanic sank, et al.

You are a little sensitive about people stealing your stuff Pedro. I advanced the story with more information (2 per game & 16.3 per game) - and also set it in a different context - examining the coaching impact. Lighten Up Pedro! (I still respeck you)

No one's being sensitive.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:18 pm

anyone else want to jump on the A-Train?

it's currently 7-0 and no matter how this game ends up Addazio has turned this program around
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:anyone else want to jump on the A-Train?

it's currently 7-0 and no matter how this game ends up Addazio has turned this program around

I'm very encouraged, but a loss is a loss. Definitely moving in the right direction. I continue to withhold judgement until we take on some peer programs. If we take care of business against NCSU, Cuse, etc, I'm sold.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 am

He's looking decent. I think he's blustery and often full of it, but those are not bad things at all for a program builder(they will become insufferable at some point). He seems to let his coordinators do their thing so I don't anticipate seeing the issues florida fans raised. I like brown a lot, I have mixed feelings on day but I'm confident he's not in the tranq/martin tier, just not sure what he is really.

I couldn't begin to tell you where the playcalling/ clock management blame begins and the personnel/execution blame ends for the fourth quarter.

All in all I like this hire much more today than I did when it was announced.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:18 pm

ESPNs published their bowl projections. Brad Edwards has us going back to Nashville against Ole Miss. It's nice to see that again after four years.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:58 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:ESPNs published their bowl projections. Brad Edwards has us going back to Nashville against Ole Miss. It's nice to see that again after four years.

If this happens it's a must-attend, both for the city and the opponent (that said, we will get rocketshipped)
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:00 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:ESPNs published their bowl projections. Brad Edwards has us going back to Nashville against Ole Miss. It's nice to see that again after four years.

If this happens it's a must-attend, both for the city and the opponent (that said, we will get rocketshipped)

id consider going
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:13 am

I don't know. Daz has changed the standards for rocketshipping. I don't know if an Ole Miss qualifies.

Anything less than 3-3 from here on out will be a major kick in the nuts, however.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:51 pm

If this happens it's a must-attend, both for the city, the opponent, and the opponent's southern belles :skank

fixed
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:02 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:Anything less than 3-3 from here on out will be a major kick in the nuts, however.

Other than New Mexico State, who else are you expecting them to beat? Keep in mind, this team has yet to win a road game and BC has never won in Chapel Hill.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:23 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:Anything less than 3-3 from here on out will be a major kick in the nuts, however.

Other than New Mexico State, who else are you expecting them to beat? Keep in mind, this team has yet to win a road game and BC has never won in Chapel Hill.

Agreed. I think it's a little aggressive to start assuming victories beyond NMSU. I'll still be very happy with 6-6 and not expecting anything more than that. I dread reading this board after losses to UNC or VT or whomever.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Road schedule so far: at USC; at Clemson. Not worried yet about the not having a road win thing.

NMSU has to be a win. Therefore, my nuts only get kicked if we lose 4 out of 5, with the 5 being: VPI, NCSU, at UNC, at MD, at SU. I think Daz has shown enough to not go 0-5 or 1-4 against this group. This is almost certainly the worst UNC team we will have played while in the ACC. VPI is "winnable", although a win will still surprise me. And MD and Cuse are two venues that don't scare me at all.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:54 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:

Road schedule so far: at USC; at Clemson. Not worried yet about the not having a road win thing.

NMSU has to be a win. Therefore, my nuts only get kicked if we lose 4 out of 5, with the 5 being: VPI, NCSU, at UNC, at MD, at SU. I think Daz has shown enough to not go 0-5 or 1-4 against this group. This is almost certainly the worst UNC team we will have played while in the ACC. VPI is "winnable", although a win will still surprise me. And MD and Cuse are two venues that don't scare me at all.

5-7 (2-6) should not be a "major kick in the nuts" coming off a 2-10 (1-7) season and coaching change. And this is coming from someone who still in wait-and-see mode with regard to Addazio.

VPI, NCSU, MD and SU are all .500 or better. UNC still has Bryn Renner and makes for a bad matchup. I don't see a gimme here, especially considering BC has not been dominant in their wins.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:11 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:

5-7 (2-6) should not be a "major kick in the nuts" coming off a 2-10 (1-7) season and coaching change. And this is coming from someone who still in wait-and-see mode with regard to Addazio.

VPI, NCSU, MD and SU are all .500 or better. UNC still has Bryn Renner and makes for a bad matchup. I don't see a gimme here, especially considering BC has not been dominant in their wins.

Maybe "major kick in the nuts" is a bit strong. None of those teams, however, have played 3 teams as good as Clem, FSU, USC in LA. I never said any of them (the 5 we are focusing on) are gimmes. But at the same time, I think Daz has gotten us to the point where we are not gimmes for them either (VPI might be sniffing that area if it were at magical Lane stadium). Hence I would be bummed if we went 1-4 or 0-5.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby DDayEagle on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:12 pm

"5-7 (2-6) should not be a "major kick in the nuts" coming off a 2-10 (1-7) season and coaching change."

This statement was probably correct at the beginning of the season (and maybe still true macrocosmically speaking). At this snapshot in time, however, only winning two more games (on this schedule) in light of how BC played against Clemson and FSU would, in fact, be a kick in the junk.

6 games remain. Of those, UNC, N. Mexico St., N.C. State, and Syracuse are games fairly categorized as "good chance" games, even if 3 are on the road. Note, UNC dropped to ECU by 24 and gave up 603 total yards in Chapel Hill. Clemson topped Syracuse by 35 points at Syracuse. Going into UNC, BC has an off-week. We play NC State at home and NC State dropped to a struggling Wake team then to Syracuse.

Of the remaining two games, VT and Maryland, only Maryland is away. Neither VT nor MD has proven themselves yet. VT had relatively tight games against UNC, Pitt, ECU, and GT. Against the Thundering Heard from Marshall, VT went into 3OT to pull of the win. Moreover, MD lost time of possession (by 15 minutes), forfeited 505 yards to TOB's "high octane" offense, and scraped by with a 1 point win over UVA. When MD traveled to Tallahassee, FSU waxed them by 63. Nonetheless, let's characterize those two games as "reach games," for giggles, even though that is probably generous, in light of existing data. To go 5 and 7, we would have to go 0.500 in "good chance" games and 0.00 in "reach" games.

So yes, in light of how this team has shown it can play, and in light of the teams remaining and what they have shown thus far, only winning two more games would be a kick in the junk. While it seems rash to write in any of those games as wins (except maybe a winless New Mexico St. steered by Spaz's secret sauce), B.C. should have an above average chance to win 4 of 6 and a decent shot at the other two.

Barring injuries, etc., B.C. should pick up 4 more wins and, at year's end, this team should have 7 wins or more.
DDayEagle
n00b

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:51 pm

DDayEagle {l Wrote}:"5-7 (2-6) should not be a "major kick in the nuts" coming off a 2-10 (1-7) season and coaching change."

This statement was probably correct at the beginning of the season (and maybe still true macrocosmically speaking). At this snapshot in time, however, only winning two more games (on this schedule) in light of how BC played against Clemson and FSU would, in fact, be a kick in the junk.

6 games remain. Of those, UNC, N. Mexico St., N.C. State, and Syracuse are games fairly categorized as "good chance" games, even if 3 are on the road. Note, UNC dropped to ECU by 24 and gave up 603 total yards in Chapel Hill. Clemson topped Syracuse by 35 points at Syracuse. Going into UNC, BC has an off-week. We play NC State at home and NC State dropped to a struggling Wake team then to Syracuse.

Of the remaining two games, VT and Maryland, only Maryland is away. Neither VT nor MD has proven themselves yet. VT had relatively tight games against UNC, Pitt, ECU, and GT. Against the Thundering Heard from Marshall, VT went into 3OT to pull of the win. Moreover, MD lost time of possession (by 15 minutes), forfeited 505 yards to TOB's "high octane" offense, and scraped by with a 1 point win over UVA. When MD traveled to Tallahassee, FSU waxed them by 63. Nonetheless, let's characterize those two games as "reach games," for giggles, even though that is probably generous, in light of existing data. To go 5 and 7, we would have to go 0.500 in "good chance" games and 0.00 in "reach" games.

So yes, in light of how this team has shown it can play, and in light of the teams remaining and what they have shown thus far, only winning two more games would be a kick in the junk. While it seems rash to write in any of those games as wins (except maybe a winless New Mexico St. steered by Spaz's secret sauce), B.C. should have an above average chance to win 4 of 6 and a decent shot at the other two.

Barring injuries, etc., B.C. should pick up 4 more wins and, at year's end, this team should have 7 wins or more.

You're nuts.

You're also in for a long 2014.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 pm

DDayEagle {l Wrote}:"5-7 (2-6) should not be a "major kick in the nuts" coming off a 2-10 (1-7) season and coaching change."

You're nuts.

7 wins is possible but highly optimistic.
I do feel good about 6 wins though... Anything less than that would be a kick in the nuts (barring injuries). How could it not be?

Here's the sagarin pure points as of 10/12. home field is worth 3.66

Virginia Tech 79.28
@ Maryland 74.33+3.66= 77.99
@ Syracuse 72.45+3.66= 76.11
Boston College 70.44
@ North Carolina 68.07+3.66= 71.73
NC State 66.66
@ New Mexico State 44.40+3.66=48.06

Which implies we'll be within +8.5 VPI (L), +7.5 MD (L), +5.5 Cuse (L), +1 NC (L), -7.5 NC State (W), -21.5 NMSU (W).

It looks like NC will be very close though and possibly, as of now, the make or break game to 6-6. luckily, we have 2 weeks to prepare...

p.s. i'll post an update to this after this week's games.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:03 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

You're nuts.

7 wins is possible but highly optimistic.
I do feel good about 6 wins though... Anything less than that would be a kick in the nuts (barring injuries). How could it not be?

Here's the sagarin pure points as of 10/12. home field is worth 3.66

Virginia Tech 79.28
@ Maryland 74.33+3.66= 77.99
@ Syracuse 72.45+3.66= 76.11
Boston College 70.44
@ North Carolina 68.07+3.66= 71.73
NC State 66.66
@ New Mexico State 44.40+3.66=48.06

Which implies we'll be within +8.5 VPI (L), +7.5 MD (L), +5.5 Cuse (L), +1 NC (L), -7.5 NC State (W), -21.5 NMSU (W).

It looks like NC will be very close though and possibly, as of now, the make or break game to 6-6. luckily, we have 2 weeks to prepare...

p.s. i'll post an update to this after this week's games.

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DDayEagle on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:41 pm

"You're nuts.

You're also in for a long 2014."

Eh...Maybe. We shall see. Note, I haven't made any reference to 2014. But, as to the remaining 2013 schedule, what we were actually talking about, it appears to me the prevailing view is that the balance of the ACC is better than the actual results support.
DDayEagle
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:50 pm

DDayEagle {l Wrote}:"You're nuts.

You're also in for a long 2014."

Eh...Maybe. We shall see. Note, I haven't made any reference to 2014. But, as to the remaining 2013 schedule, what we were actually talking about, it appears to me the prevailing view is that the balance of the ACC is better than the actual results support.

BC doesn't play a single good team the rest if the year. BC is also not a good team talent wise. This is where the coaching comes in
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Addazio wasn't my first, second or third choice, but he's done a lot of things right. We won't know for sure if he is a great hire for at least another three seasons. Remember Spaz and Dan Henning both went bowling in their first years. To be a great hire you need to build something and that will be more clear in Year 3.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:53 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Addazio wasn't my first, second or third choice, but he's done a lot of things right. We won't know for sure if he is a great hire for at least another three seasons. Remember Spaz and Dan Henning both went bowling in their first years. To be a great hire you need to build something and that will be more clear in Year 3.

Rookie mistake this post. Both Henning and Spaz walked into winning situations, taking over healthy programs with a lot of talent. It in no way compares to what Daz is faced with.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:14 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Addazio wasn't my first, second or third choice, but he's done a lot of things right. We won't know for sure if he is a great hire for at least another three seasons. Remember Spaz and Dan Henning both went bowling in their first years. To be a great hire you need to build something and that will be more clear in Year 3.

Rookie mistake this post. Both Henning and Spaz walked into winning situations, taking over healthy programs with a lot of talent. It in no way compares to what Daz is faced with.

Henning and Spaz obviously took over better situations, but my point is that Year 1 is not a great indicator. Look at Daz Year 1 at Temple vs Year 2 vs where Temple is now.

I think Daz is doing a good job, but next year will be very telling. No Rettig, no Amidon, no AWilliams, no KPL, etc. How will he coach the roster up and will his first recruits provide immediate impact? As I said, Year 3 is the biggest tell. At that point Daz will have 50 or so of his own recruits on the roster.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 am

tobias first year (with 25 henning tight ends on the roster) is a better comparison than henning or spaz year 1.

i agree with the rest of blog boy's post and wait for what day and brown can do with sarge's recruits. make that "wait with the interest of someone that doesn't like sports"
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium