Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Making a bowl gets you another 4-5 weeks of practice. That would be good for the guys on the roster who will be returning in 2014. It's also good to give them something to be excited about. Sure, it's a meaningless exhibition, but it sure beats watching half the teams in the country play one more game while you and your teammates are home on your couches.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:42 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Making a bowl gets you another 4-5 weeks of practice. That would be good for the guys on the roster who will be returning in 2014. It's also good to give them something to be excited about. Sure, it's a meaningless exhibition, but it sure beats watching half the teams in the country play one more game while you and your teammates are home on your couches.

This.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:50 am

Add LNH to the list.

Forget about the disaster that is the Kiffin era. This Boston College team has gotten back to its roots under Addazio. They are a well-coached, fundamentally sound, physical team that can run the ball, and that’s a recipe for beating teams they’re not expected to. Yes, USC’s defense is very good -- hence the low-scoring game -- but there are intangibles at work here. The Eagles are all-in on Addazio’s playbook, while the Trojans don’t even seem to be on the same page.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 am

Like most things, I wonder if this thread is morphing into something different than it was initially. The Addazio hire was panned for many reasons: BC was being too cheap (it actually wasn't); Bates had leaked much higher profile names that may or may not have interviewed; Addazio was a mediocre coach that apparently was in Bates' back pocket, given the lack of pre-announcement chatter. When he was announced, after the initial first 48 hours of hysteria, I think most (yes, most) people thought he would be a great recruiter and high energy guy- that was his well known rep. The biggest dig against him was poor in game coaching and scheming; it wasn't that he was god awful, but he was nothing special. I admit that I was firmly in this camp.

While I'm very pleased with the results so far, I haven't seen any basis to alter my opinion concerning scheme/in-game coaching. This is not to say the performance has been bad, but playing two horrible teams just doesn't give me enough information to change my mind yet. Part of this is due to the fact that I refuse to measure him against Spaz. Making half time adjustments against Villanova was nice, but did not make me cream in my jeans, desperate as I was for any sign of success. Manhandling a piss poor, freshman-laden Wake team in the second half was likewise no great feat (while scoring just 7 points ourselves.

The most impressive part of the young season, aside from the overall energy improvement, was the play calling in the first half of Wake, which was aggressive, unpredictable, and balanced. The Wolford drop and Rettig underthrown pick were 14 points that the staff deserves credit for gift wrapping. The defense has be solid if not spectacular, allowing too many third-down conversations but stiffening in the red zone.

Addazio has my attention, but I'm still not ready to call this a "great hire."
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:57 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Bates had leaked much higher profile names that may or may not have interviewed;

Enough time has passed that I'd honestly have to go back and look up who those higher profile names were.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:14 am

talon {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Bates had leaked much higher profile names that may or may not have interviewed;

Enough time has passed that I'd honestly have to go back and look up who those higher profile names were.

Greg Roman and Bob Diaco.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Greg Roman and Bob Diaco.

i think nospace mentioned tom coughlin
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:08 am

talon {l Wrote}:

This.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:46 am

talon {l Wrote}:

He didn't even interview Nick Saban! Cheap bastard.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:04 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Like most things, I wonder if this thread is morphing into something different than it was initially. The Addazio hire was panned for many reasons: BC was being too cheap (it actually wasn't); Bates had leaked much higher profile names that may or may not have interviewed; Addazio was a mediocre coach that apparently was in Bates' back pocket, given the lack of pre-announcement chatter. When he was announced, after the initial first 48 hours of hysteria, I think most (yes, most) people thought he would be a great recruiter and high energy guy- that was his well known rep. The biggest dig against him was poor in game coaching and scheming; it wasn't that he was god awful, but he was nothing special. I admit that I was firmly in this camp.

While I'm very pleased with the results so far, I haven't seen any basis to alter my opinion concerning scheme/in-game coaching. This is not to say the performance has been bad, but playing two horrible teams just doesn't give me enough information to change my mind yet. Part of this is due to the fact that I refuse to measure him against Spaz. Making half time adjustments against Villanova was nice, but did not make me cream in my jeans, desperate as I was for any sign of success. Manhandling a piss poor, freshman-laden Wake team in the second half was likewise no great feat (while scoring just 7 points ourselves.

The most impressive part of the young season, aside from the overall energy improvement, was the play calling in the first half of Wake, which was aggressive, unpredictable, and balanced. The Wolford drop and Rettig underthrown pick were 14 points that the staff deserves credit for gift wrapping. The defense has be solid if not spectacular, allowing too many third-down conversations but stiffening in the red zone.

Addazio has my attention, but I'm still not ready to call this a "great hire."

I viewed this as a prediction thread and now that the season has started, I think it's too late for people to get on board or hedge. It appears you voted that it was a bad hire. That was your prediction, we'll see what happens.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Mike_S on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:12 pm

* Mike_S kinda in - but in a weak manner - (Daz demands more and you have 1 week to go all in)

Sorry, it took a little long to reply due to the off week, but after the first five minutes of the game yesterday, I am now 100% in on Daz.

They came back from the poor performance at USC and showed enthusiasm. And just to top it off, after the horrible end of the first half, they came out with enthusiasm for the start of the second half and the end of the game.
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:00 pm

if your a BC fan and you can't tell that Addazio is a good hire by now, then your stupid.

everything he has done since he got here has been 50x better than it was before then and if you can't see that by now and have even a little doubt that he wasn't a good hire then you know nothing about BC football.
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Reaching the conclusion that Addazio is a good hire 4 games in, while not as ridiculous as the Mo-J led conclusion that Darrel Hazzell was definitely a better pick immediately after the hire, is a little premature.

I think:

The assistant picks are good. Don Brown is a great pickup and Day is at least adequate. The unknowns like Fry seem to be good pickups. Retaining Washington seems inspired. The apparent CEO skills should negate Addazio's poor (reputation at least) for playcalling.

Recruiting has been nice. The quick fill of the class made sense to me under the circumstances and I expect to be in on some interesting recruits at the end of the season for the first time in awhile.

Fixing the defeatism has been tremendous.

I still worry that:

Over-Enthusiasm becomes hackneyed and annoying.

Brown ends up in Storrs and the replacement isn't adequate.

The glass fragile depth breaks and we lose the improvement momentum, this would not be Addazio's fault but could still derail him.

The insistence on running in inappropriate situations that people want to project on Addazio because of Florida fans online complaints and looking at Temple box scores becomes real.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:34 pm

bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:if your a BC fan and you can't tell that Addazio is a good hire by now, then your stupid.

everything he has done since he got here has been 50x better than it was before then and if you can't see that by now and have even a little doubt that he wasn't a good hire then you know nothing about BC football.

1. The criteria was "great hire."
2. Being better than Spaziani is not the goal (but i agree with your opinion)
3. It is difficult to conclude that someone is a great hire four games into a season. There have already been some great signs (excellent recruiting, much improved effort and attitude from the players) to be excited about.
4. At this point we've got 2 wins. One is against an above average FCS team. The other is against the worst team in the ACC. The two losses were total blowout against a talented but flawed USC team that fired their coach 2 weeks after we got destroyed by them, and a gritty loss to a vastly more talented team. I'd like to see how we do against someone decent. That is ahead on the schedule.

I think this was a solid hire, but not necessarily a great one. I hope I'm wrong. I was wrong with Jags (outstanding hire) and I'll be the first to admit it once he's made his mark. I see the ceiling as TOB esque, meaning that we'll be very good, but never great (10 wins). That is how I'm defining great. Let's see that he can do.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Recruiting has been nice. The quick fill of the class made sense to me under the circumstances and I expect to be in on some interesting recruits at the end of the season for the first time in awhile.

I still worry that:

The glass fragile depth breaks and we lose the improvement momentum, this would not be Addazio's fault but could still derail him.

Several thoughts, more related to the D & Don Brown. First regarding Don Brown & Storrs, I don't see it happening. First he's 58 right now and would start his first season of what looks like (despite what mo js said) a huge rebuilding process at 59. Don Brown knew what he was doing when he left Yukon. That program was relegated to the kiddie table, had a train wreck of a HC, and on his side of the ball lost 4 (?) players to the NFL.

To be honest I absolutely love what we see out of the D. Yes we're going to give up big plays but this is the same craptacular D that couldn't stop a nose bleed against Army last year and had 6 sacks all of last season (they already have more than double the sacks in 1/3 the season). I just can't wait till he gets D1 athletes to play his D, which he has proven he can get.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:48 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Recruiting has been nice. The quick fill of the class made sense to me under the circumstances and I expect to be in on some interesting recruits at the end of the season for the first time in awhile.

I still worry that:

Several thoughts, more related to the D & Don Brown. First regarding Don Brown & Storrs, I don't see it happening. First he's 58 right now and would start his first season of what looks like (despite what mo js said) a huge rebuilding process at 59. Don Brown knew what he was doing when he left Yukon. That program was relegated to the kiddie table, had a train wreck of a HC, and on his side of the ball lost 4 (?) players to the NFL.

To be honest I absolutely love what we see out of the D. Yes we're going to give up big plays but this is the same craptacular D that couldn't stop a nose bleed against Army last year and had 6 sacks all of last season (they already have more than double the sacks in 1/3 the season). I just can't wait till he gets D1 athletes to play his D, which he has proven he can get.

I disagree about our talent level on D. The talent problem is confined to the secondary only. Ou DL and LB have some real talent. LB is particular is actually quite deep.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:57 am

There's a major talent problem in the secondary and on the DLine. LB is decent and will improve with next years class. They clearly want big MLBs in the middle to stop the run and fast guys on the outside.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Reaching the conclusion that Addazio is a good hire 4 games in, while not as ridiculous as the Mo-J led conclusion that Darrel Hazzell was definitely a better pick immediately after the hire, is a little premature.

I think:

The assistant picks are good. Don Brown is a great pickup and Day is at least adequate. The unknowns like Fry seem to be good pickups. Retaining Washington seems inspired. The apparent CEO skills should negate Addazio's poor (reputation at least) for playcalling.

Recruiting has been nice. The quick fill of the class made sense to me under the circumstances and I expect to be in on some interesting recruits at the end of the season for the first time in awhile.

I still worry that:

The insistence on running in inappropriate situations that people want to project on Addazio because of Florida fans online complaints and looking at Temple box scores becomes real.

Even tho they apparently just fired PP within the hour, I dont think Brown goes to Yukon. Hes too old and that is a MAJOR rebuild, much more than what we will experience here. They have little to no talent and the conference situation makes that shit hole an even less enviable destination for a coach and recruits.

I cant wait to see the lists they come up with over at the puppy pound, exect to see Lane Kiffin, Mack Brown, maybe even Saban
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:23 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I cant wait to see the lists they come up with over at the puppy pound, exect to see Lane Kiffin, Mack Brown, maybe even Saban

They pretty much have put every name under the sun out there except Don Shula and expect that they could pay tens of millions to their coaches and that everyone will jump at the chance. They've been talking about Kiffin for the last 24 hours before PP was even fired.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:40 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I cant wait to see the lists they come up with over at the puppy pound, exect to see Lane Kiffin, Mack Brown, maybe even Saban

They pretty much have put every name under the sun out there except Don Shula and expect that they could pay tens of millions to their coaches and that everyone will jump at the chance. They've been talking about Kiffin for the last 24 hours before PP was even fired.

I would love it if they hired Kiffin. It would be a really bad choice.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:45 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I still worry that:

I disagree about our talent level on D. The talent problem is confined to the secondary only. Ou DL and LB have some real talent. LB is particular is actually quite deep.

Secondary - talent is horrible and needs a major upgrade
LB - talent is at or below average for ACC
DL - talent is somewhere between the LBs and Secondary
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:03 am

Wherever you rate our D Linemen, the biggest concern is depth. They were actually getting through FSU's O Line with 3-4 guys pretty easily early on, but were sputtering by the middle of the 2nd half. We need more bodies to rotate in.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:08 am

Like all positions outside the secondary, BC is average or above with the starters in the front 7. Problem is the backups aren't good and the starters get worn out against the better teams. It's going to take 2-3 recruiting cycles with deep classes to fix that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:16 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I still worry that:

Secondary - talent is horrible and needs a major upgrade
LB - talent is at or below average for ACC
DL - talent is somewhere between the LBs and Secondary

I think all things considered, coming out of the Spaz debacle, the talent/play at the DL and LB positions is about as good as we could have asked for. I think there is some legitimate depth at LB, but at the DL positions they are about an injury or two away from being really F'd.

The secondary has some pieces, but I dont really understand the personal decisions up to this point. The fact that Sylvia and Rositano are both starting over ALJ/Williams/Simmons (dont know what is behind him now as he played OK last year)is mind boggling, especially against a team like FSU (and Clemson coming up) where all they have is weapons on the outside. A few people have suggested Milano could be a nice piece but I have no clue as to whether he has played yet or if he is being red-shirted.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Simmons played well at the end of last year. His play then was far better than the mess currently back there
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:10 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Reaching the conclusion that Addazio is a good hire 4 games in, while not as ridiculous as the Mo-J led conclusion that Darrel Hazzell was definitely a better pick immediately after the hire, is a little premature.

I think:

I still worry that:

I have major problems with you being higher on Ryan Day than Daz. Big problems with that. Just came in to say that.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:44 pm

The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:I have major problems with you being higher on Ryan Day than Daz. Big problems with that. Just came in to say that.

Oh sweet jesus god thank you for coming in to that say that.

Thank you.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:47 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:I have major problems with you being higher on Ryan Day than Daz. Big problems with that. Just came in to say that.

Oh sweet jesus god thank you for coming in to that say that.

Thank you.

i lol'd
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:45 pm

EMPTY LAMINATED RESUME!! :74
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Austin Tedesco from The Heights just tweeted that Simmons is going to start over Rositano, and that Rositano is not listed on depth chart at all (maybe injured ?)

Willis to #2 RB and Dudeck now a WR. Nothing about ALJ
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium