BC/PITT game thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC/PITT game thread

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:54 pm

wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:Some points on the TD passes, wouldn't it help to turn around at least and see the pass coming and have a chance to either pick it or knock it away ? I just don't understand that technique by the BC DBs at all.

It's not a "technique". It's what happens when a DB is trying to catch-up to the receiver. First, you get to the receiver. Then, you look for the ball. Same thing happens in the NFL. The good CBs are able to locate the ball at the last second to make a play. Same thing happens in the NFL on any contested pass (see, 49ers challenging Sherman with a mediocre receiver).
wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:Is there a chance to run a no huddle offense when the offense is not working ?

There is a chance. But, if the offense is struggling, going no-huddle likely would result in a 3-and-out that has a gassed D back on the field in less than a minute.
wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:When BC picked the ball and did nothing, that was the beginning of the end in the 1st half. I left early in the 2nd half when I already knew the game was lost and BC was not making plays. I went home and skated in a pickup hockey game to vent my frustrations out.

I think "did nothing" reads like the staff went conservative resulting in a 3-and-out. That was probably the most aggressive series we had all game. It's just that the QB couldn't make the throws (which is shocking for someone who is clearly a better QB than Rettig).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Murphy's accuracy was as bad as I can remember for a major program college QB. Same for the WRs trying to catch, although this was tied with basically every BC game post Jags. That game is a toss up if we could have simply made throws and catches when it was open, which says a lot considering how badly our run defense was butt-fucked.

What kills me is that Pitt has an absolutely cake schedule. No FSU, Clem, or Louisville, and no one good OOC. They could win every game.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm hoping next week Brown has the common sense not to leave our CBs on an island....sadly I doubt this is true.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:05 pm

The game sucked.

QB couldnt complete passes and the ones that arrived were off the hands of the WRs/TEs.
The OL couldnt open any holes for the RBs. The fifth yr seniors are the foundation of this team. If they don't perform, then we are not going to win games.
The DL couldnt get into the backfield and/or tackle.
The LBs could not tackle. They are the strength of this defense; they need to establish a pass rush and they have absolutely got to tackle. Otherwise, we are not going to win games.

The only people free from any blame as I see it is the RBs and corners. The RB were never put into a position to succeed due to poor line play and the secondary were completely mismatched by the taller, more talented Pitt WRs.
Day's playcalling was far from great but you could see throughout the game them trying to make some adjustments. The pass to Bordner in the flat was such example. That said, the staff should have realized Murphy was throwing ducks all night and focus on what was working.

I still think we win 6 games this year in a typical BC season (lose the games you are supposed to lose, win the games that you are supposed to win). The season was going to come down to winning 2 of 3 from Cuse, NC State, and Pitt so not much has changed.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'm hoping next week Brown has the common sense not to leave our CBs on an island....sadly I doubt this is true.

Asprilla is decent. He would not start for any ACC team with the possible exception of Wake.

Bryce Jones cannot cover at an ACC level. His tackling is worse.

Everyone blames the safeties; it's hard to cover the whole field when your CB's can't. That said, our safeties are FCS.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:41 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I watched a motorcycle cop almost drag a guy away by his nosehairs. The game was not quite over. This guy was standing next to a vehicle not doing a thing. Bike cop tells him to pack it up. He says, I can't because the car is locked, it's not my car, and I don't have the key. After asking three times with the same response, cope turns off the bike and gets in his face. Guy folds the table and shrugs like what else can I do, not being a dick or anything, being very matter of fact. Another cop comes by and tells the first that they should move on. Makes sense.

Preface I did not have or see any issues.

A friend last night told me a shitfaced :ugeek: told a cop he looked hot then sprayed him with beer on Shea. He was amazed at how calmly the cop reacted. The :ugeek: probably got the ol Abner Louima, deservedly so.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby BCdee on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:07 am

Anyone think USC will be a sellout?
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:19 am

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'm hoping next week Brown has the common sense not to leave our CBs on an island....sadly I doubt this is true.

Asprilla is decent. He would not start for any ACC team with the possible exception of Wake.

Bryce Jones cannot cover at an ACC level. His tackling is worse.

Everyone blames the safeties; it's hard to cover the whole field when your CB's can't. That said, our safeties are FCS.

I don't agree with this.

I watched Simmons in man-to-man coverage most the night, which is totally bizarre. Williams and Simmons aren't bad. I had faith in Johnson, he looked pretty lost Friday Night though.

I find our DBs are often there, but they don't turn around.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:19 am

BCdee {l Wrote}:Anyone think USC will be a sellout?

Nope, which is totally pathetic
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:28 am

Not selling out SC game is the final straw for DBS. How long does Bates keep waiting for new people to pony up $500 - $1,000 DBS fee? Dump DBS and encourage season ticket holders to buy more season tickets and give additional free parking passes on Brighton for every 4 season tickets purchased. There were thousands of empty seats in the DBS sections for the Pitt game. Without the DBS fee people can go back to buying 6-8 season tickets instead of 2. The same holds true in hoops. I give 2k and I have 2 bball season tickets, I had 4, but I'm not paying another 2k just for the right to buy 2 more season tickets.

DUMP DBS
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Not selling out SC game is the final straw for DBS. How long does Bates keep waiting for new people to pony up $500 - $1,000 DBS fee? Dump DBS and encourage season ticket holders to buy more season tickets and give additional free parking passes on Brighton for every 4 season tickets purchased. There were thousands of empty seats in the DBS sections for the Pitt game. Without the DBS fee people can go back to buying 6-8 season tickets instead of 2. The same holds true in hoops. I give 2k and I have 2 bball season tickets, I had 4, but I'm not paying another 2k just for the right to buy 2 more season tickets.

DUMP DBS

If the only place there is vacancy for the SC game is in the DBS sections, then you have a point. If there is vacancy in the other parts of the stadium, then you are arguing that the Ath Dept would be better off forgoing millions in revenues so that cheap fans (who will only show up for games if they are given primo seats) can attend games.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Not selling out SC game is the final straw for DBS. How long does Bates keep waiting for new people to pony up $500 - $1,000 DBS fee? Dump DBS and encourage season ticket holders to buy more season tickets and give additional free parking passes on Brighton for every 4 season tickets purchased. There were thousands of empty seats in the DBS sections for the Pitt game. Without the DBS fee people can go back to buying 6-8 season tickets instead of 2. The same holds true in hoops. I give 2k and I have 2 bball season tickets, I had 4, but I'm not paying another 2k just for the right to buy 2 more season tickets.

DUMP DBS

If the only place there is vacancy for the SC game is in the DBS sections, then you have a point. If there is vacancy in the other parts of the stadium, then you are arguing that the Ath Dept would be better off forgoing millions in revenues so that cheap fans (who will only show up for games if they are given primo seats) can attend games.

It won't be, but he still has a point. I know people in DBS that gave up some of their tickets once DBS was implemented. Bottom line, it's about supply and demand. The demand is not there, so no reason to charge $500/seat and $1000/seat for basketball. They will still get money through tailgating spots so I don't see the losses being in the millions.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:48 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

DUMP DBS

It won't be, but he still has a point. I know people in DBS that gave up some of their tickets once DBS was implemented. Bottom line, it's about supply and demand. The demand is not there, so no reason to charge $500/seat and $1000/seat for basketball. They will still get money through tailgating spots so I don't see the losses being in the millions.

Are we really going into this again?

Of course, the implementation of DBS was clumsy... effing GDF orchestrated it. There should have been some sort of loyalty piece associated with it (e.g. $100 towards a seat license for each consecutive year you held season tix). That said, I still find it comical when people bitch about DBS. I think it says more about the supposed longtime fan that he would rather give up season tix all together (during a time when we were a very successful program) than degrade himself by watching from a slightly worse seat (as if there is a bad seat in a 44k stadium).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

DUMP DBS

Of course, the implementation of DBS was clumsy... effing GDF orchestrated it. There should have been some sort of loyalty piece associated with it (e.g. $100 towards a seat license for each consecutive year you held season tix). That said, I still find it comical when people bitch about DBS. I think it says more about the supposed longtime fan that he would rather give up season tix all together (during a time when we were a very successful program) than degrade himself by watching from a slightly worse seat (as if there is a bad seat in a 44k stadium).

Zing! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby fs33 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:19 pm

Willis has looked bad in both games. Tentative and does not run with power. He is best used as a change of pace back or in a Sherm Alston role. Rouse is serviceable for a carry here and there, but he does not have enough speed or size to be an ACC 1RB. What's scary is that he has a similar running style to Connor except he is 6 inches shorter and 60-70 pounds lighter. Hilliman looks like he should be the #1, but lacks some vision. He had a nice cutback lane open on one of his carries Friday and instead kept going forward for a 3 yd game.

The WRs are god awful. Generally no separation. When they do get open, Murphy misses them. When they get open and Murphy doesn't miss them, they drop the ball. Sherm needs touches. Phillips should be getting 10+ targets a game.

On defense we are damned if we do damned if we dont. I still don't know why Simmons sees so much PT. He is always in position but never makes the play (in both coverage and run support). At least he's in position whereas the other options would get burned. The arm tackles are infuriating.

The most frustrating part about Friday was that the game was winable. The Keyes whiff on the first drive, the missed FG, and the lack of execution on the two post-INT play action calls were the difference in the game. It will hurt after Thanks giving when we are (hopefully) 5-6 going into Cuse and need a win to become bowl eligible.

Unless Murphy miraculously learns how to throw a football with any degree of accuracy it's gonna be a long freaking year.
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:33 pm

fs33 {l Wrote}:Willis has looked bad in both games. Tentative and does not run with power. He is best used as a change of pace back or in a Sherm Alston role. Rouse is serviceable for a carry here and there, but he does not have enough speed or size to be an ACC 1RB. What's scary is that he has a similar running style to Connor except he is 6 inches shorter and 60-70 pounds lighter. Hilliman looks like he should be the #1, but lacks some vision. He had a nice cutback lane open on one of his carries Friday and instead kept going forward for a 3 yd game.

The WRs are god awful. Generally no separation. When they do get open, Murphy misses them. When they get open and Murphy doesn't miss them, they drop the ball. Sherm needs touches. Phillips should be getting 10+ targets a game.

On defense we are damned if we do damned if we dont. I still don't know why Simmons sees so much PT. He is always in position but never makes the play (in both coverage and run support). At least he's in position whereas the other options would get burned. The arm tackles are infuriating.

The most frustrating part about Friday was that the game was winable. The Keyes whiff on the first drive, the missed FG, and the lack of execution on the two post-INT play action calls were the difference in the game. It will hurt after Thanks giving when we are (hopefully) 5-6 going into Cuse and need a win to become bowl eligible.

Unless Murphy miraculously learns how to throw a football with any degree of accuracy it's gonna be a long freaking year.

I agree on every point.

I would add that Wade needs touches. You burned his redshirt, lets see him. When we were starting our second possession I thought we were going to win, after that possession I thought we would lose.

My wife wants to go up for the Clemson game. 1st time, I was ever tentative about saying yes to watch football.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

DUMP DBS

I think you missed the point about ticket total. I wrote there were people who gave up some of their tickets, not all of their tickets. They're still "true" fans, but instead of having 8 tickets, they went with 4. When you have great seats, have been sitting in them for years and know the people around you, then you are likely to want to stay there.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:04 pm

I give 2k for the parking space and I will still give 2k if they drop DBS to keep the space, but I might buy more season tickets next to me without DBS. I had 4 in hoops and now I have 2. I'm not paying another 2k just to buy back my old hoops tickets that nobody has purchased since I gave them up. I don't see how dropping DBS is going to cause millions in lost revenues. People want their parking spaces in football and there can only be a handful of people that buy bball tickets in DBS sections that don't have football season tickets.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:45 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Agreed with hoopsnerd that the worst part of the game were the fans and empty stadium. It makes it harder for me to enjoy the game knowing that the foundation of the program is weak and the fans we actually do get to the game suck. I know Pitt dominated, but BC was only down two scores and the place was empty.

Place was empty because of performances like the Pitt game. ENJOY!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Agreed with hoopsnerd that the worst part of the game were the fans and empty stadium. It makes it harder for me to enjoy the game knowing that the foundation of the program is weak and the fans we actually do get to the game suck. I know Pitt dominated, but BC was only down two scores and the place was empty.

agreed. I go to games and have for years because im an addict but at this point I certainly don't blame fans who don't.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:51 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:Murphy's accuracy was as bad as I can remember for a major program college QB.

Should have watched the Patriots yesterday. That said, I feel safe saying that Tom Brady is a better football player than Chase Rettig.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:01 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

agreed. I go to games and have for years because im an addict but at this point I certainly don't blame fans who don't.

I was a season ticket holder for most of the TOB era, the Jags era and the first three years of Spaz. Only reason we gave up the seats was because the last two years of Spaz were unwatchable.

They needed to earn it back. They got far enough for me last year that I debated renewing for this season. Had too many conflicts and :vader wasn't going to be able to make games, but frankly, the product simply isn't good enough. I'll be back when the product recovers - unlike a lot of BC "fans" I am there for the football.

In the meantime, the invention of the television is awesome.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's one of the reasons. But the obvious reason is that BC is not a big, public school with a local, rabid fanbase. The old, local alumni have been dying off and replaced by California nerds who go back home after graduation. Attendance had been going down well before the Spaz years. BC was bad during and after the Henning debacle and they still had better attendance during TOB's first couple of years (back to back 4-7 seasons). Obviously winning helps, but it's not going produce more local alumni.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:52 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's one of the reasons. But the obvious reason is that BC is not a big, public school with a local, rabid fanbase. The old, local alumni have been dying off and replaced by California nerds who go back home after graduation. Attendance had been going down well before the Spaz years. BC was bad during and after the Henning debacle and they still had better attendance during TOB's first couple of years (back to back 4-7 seasons). Obviously winning helps, but it's not going produce more local alumni.

That's a fair point. But win and it won't matter. It's never going to be a great alumni base - BC needs to do more to attract the local football fan. Not sure what can be done frankly, other than create a bandwagon for them to jump on by winning, and hope the Pats O-line and D-Line continue to look like they are worse than BC's.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:27 am

I don't feel like wading through all the comments, but I need to ask - Are some people here really calling for Wade to start Saturday?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby 49dueagle on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:30 am

Yes :vader
49dueagle
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:30 am

This game was lost in the trenches. All other problems are secondary to that. For all their experience, this OL is a very ho-hum group. The DL is worse. I'm used to them not generating pressure. I'm not used to them getting blown off the ball.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:35 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:This game was lost in the trenches. All other problems are secondary to that. For all their experience, this OL is a very ho-hum group. The DL is worse. I'm used to them not generating pressure. I'm not used to them getting blown off the ball.

Please no talk about how the O-Line must be good because they are all 4th year players. For the most part, if you suck as a soph, you suck as a senior. Our OL players have never been good, so why would they be good now? We got to 7 wins last year with a great back and by beating other mediocre teams. This year, we are minus the back, and the schedule has gotten a bit harder. We are improved in some other areas, but I don't expect a whole lot from the O Line.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:36 am

49dueagle {l Wrote}:Yes :vader

why don't you marry him?

:chewbanka
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 49dueagle on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:39 am

Hit OPEN receivers. The flubbed pass/ lateral to Bordner says all you need to say.
49dueagle
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium