BC/PITT game thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC/PITT game thread

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:14 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:Last night's passing game was like Dom Davis 2.0.

Unfortunately, Murphy doesn't have 3 more years of eligibility left.

I can't imagine Wade throws any worse than what I saw last night and I think he has better speed, but USC on National TV is not the time to try it out.

Agreed. However, I think they need to find ways to give Wade meaningful reps. Be it in a situation where Wade is struggling or in a blowout. They ain't winning shit this year... might as well start getting ready for next year (meaning giving the frosh reps and firing Brown if the D doesn't improve).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:19 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I can't imagine Wade throws any worse than what I saw last night and I think he has better speed, but USC on National TV is not the time to try it out.

Agreed. However, I think they need to find ways to give Wade meaningful reps. Be it in a situation where Wade is struggling or in a blowout. They ain't winning shit this year... might as well start getting ready for next year (meaning giving the frosh reps and firing Brown if the D doesn't improve).

You're assuming the rest of the season is going to be as bad as last night. It's not. Coaching staff will adjust. First adjustment is putting the freshman on the field at WR and getting Alston the ball more. He's the best playmaker we've got. How Day, etc. can watch our WRs in practice and come to the conclusion Crimmins, Bordner and Callahan are the best option is a joke.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:One thing about the play calling, on the 2nd drive they tried to mix in some short passes. They were good calls, the receivers were wide open and Murphy missed them horribly. I think that was the 1st sign of being screwed. We can probably be as accurate, thats how bad some of those throws were.

Since Wade's redshirt is already burned, I would like to see him play a bit more in games. Maybe one series a game.

The return of the 2nd Quarter experiment... I too think they should mix in Wade more.

I cringed a bit when I wrote it.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:44 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

You're assuming the rest of the season is going to be as bad as last night. It's not. Coaching staff will adjust. First adjustment is putting the freshman on the field at WR and getting Alston the ball more. He's the best playmaker we've got. How Day, etc. can watch our WRs in practice and come to the conclusion Crimmins, Bordner and Callahan are the best option is a joke.

There are a minimum of 4 teams still on the schedule that would've kicked the living crap out of that Pitt team last night (USC, Louisville, Clemson and FSU). I'm also willing to bet that VT's D will be able to stop the one-trick-pony Pitt offense by Bud Foster simply reminding his players that Conner (who runs upright) should be tackled by going low (as opposed to BC's numerous failed attempts at arm-tackling around the shoulders). So, basically, you are saying that the coaching staff will be able to show us their adjustments in games against Maine, Colorado State, NC State, Wake Forest and maybe Cuse.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:49 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:One thing about the play calling, on the 2nd drive they tried to mix in some short passes. They were good calls, the receivers were wide open and Murphy missed them horribly. I think that was the 1st sign of being screwed. We can probably be as accurate, thats how bad some of those throws were.

Since Wade's redshirt is already burned, I would like to see him play a bit more in games. Maybe one series a game.

This.

Felt like the turning point in the game, just 2 drives in. Receivers wide open. Should've been up 14-3. Might've been enough momentum to overcome how overmatched our D was otherwise.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:54 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

There are a minimum of 4 teams still on the schedule that would've kicked the living crap out of that Pitt team last night (USC, Louisville, Clemson and FSU). I'm also willing to bet that VT's D will be able to stop the one-trick-pony Pitt offense by Bud Foster simply reminding his players that Conner (who runs upright) should be tackled by going low (as opposed to BC's numerous failed attempts at arm-tackling around the shoulders). So, basically, you are saying that the coaching staff will be able to show us their adjustments in games against Maine, Colorado State, NC State, Wake Forest and maybe Cuse.

I agree you can forget USC and FSU. The other two are nothing special
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:56 am

I thought Day was awful last night. No attempt to stretch the field with the RBs, totally abandoned using Alston, it was the kind of offense that used to drive florida fans crazy. Pitt did a really good job mixing runs between the tackles and outside making the linebackers move sideline to sideline. I really don't get why they haven't used Murphy's speed/running ability more in the passing game. Designed play action and rolling him to a side with a few options, they ran that with retting more last year who wasn't 1/10th as mobile

As for the wide receivers, I think Bordner is serviceable and actually think Callinan is quite good. I would definitely start to take a look at some of the freshman over Crimmins.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:01 am

"It's a real simple equation here today. In my opinion we couldn't stop the run on defense. We couldn't establish the run on offense. We didn't tackle well on defense. We didn't complete throwing opportunities, and we had numerous ones, on offense." - Daz

"We made a decision---on the turnover there--- we went after two play action passes and they were the right calls. They were right on the money. We didn't connect on the two wide open passes. This is where sometimes I struggle a little bit. I said to myself lets mix this thing up a little bit. We made a decision in this game that we were going to throw those play action passes. OK, we threw them and we didn't get any points on that drive. We went away from the run. We've got to hang in there sometimes on the run." - Daz

"It starts with me. I have to get those guys the ball. In games like this, you're expected to make those plays and I didn't make those today." - Murphy

Conner is the first RB to run for 200 yards against BC since 2000.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:06 am

Completely outclassed pitt with the spread option in three plays for a td so let's go play action Ryan.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:08 am

"Run it until they stop it"

- Steve Logan circa 2008
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Completely outclassed pitt with the spread option in three plays for a td so let's go play action Ryan.

The offense should look like Auburn. Put Alston, Phillips and Callahan I guess out there at WR and run read option, Bubble Screen and a double move type deal to get Phillips deep.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:13 am

Was Alston even on the field other than that one stretch play that went for 12 yards?
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:21 am

Our RBs had 16 carries for 41 yards....yuck
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:06 am

I thought Don B made all QBs look like Matt Ryan, not running backs look like Barry Sanders. I said the name Diamond Ferri in the 2nd Q and my entire section wanted to rip my head off.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:13 am

Agreed with hoopsnerd that the worst part of the game were the fans and empty stadium. It makes it harder for me to enjoy the game knowing that the foundation of the program is weak and the fans we actually do get to the game suck. I know Pitt dominated, but BC was only down two scores and the place was empty.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:41 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Conner is the first RB to run for 200 yards against BC since 2000.

At least is was on 35 carries, remember Ryan Williams running for 160 on 18 carries. That looked more embarrassing.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:45 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Was Alston even on the field other than that one stretch play that went for 12 yards?

Yes, i think it was the next possession. They ran what looked to be the exact same play, but this time Murphy faked the handoff to Alston, and then followed him for a 2 yard loss. Really dumb play if that was what Murphy was supposed to do.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:54 am

Negatives
1. Murphy. He cannot throw the football with any degree of accuracy.
B. The Brownshirts. The cops were bad last night. I saw Boston cops checking IDs on many occasions. The BC cops, who normally just go through the motions, were nasty about the tailgating rules.
iii. Crowd. Pathetic! I would say attendance was about 30,000. Yes Friday night games suck and there are many other things to do in early September weekends but the attendance was really sad.
IV. The Superfans. Half of them left at halftime. The rest left after the 3rdQ.
e. Pretzel. Bought one at the concession stand. One of the worst I have ever had, and who puts sesame seeds on a pretzel?
6) Defense. Knew it would be bad but I did not think it would this bad against the run.
G) OLine. This should be the strength of the team but the pass protection was terrible. Murphy had very little time when passing from the pocket.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:18 pm

One thing I am uneasy with after last night is the inside running ability of Rouse and Willis. No elusiveness and not enough power. Montel would always fall forward after first contact and could also make guys miss with a nice sidestep. William green was a truck and had moves. 2-3 yard carries last night with these guys getting stood up and knocked back at first contact. I don't think these two can cut it between the tackles and need to be used on the edge more and try Outlow and Hilliman to see if they can turn those 2-3 yard runs into 4-5 yard runs up the gut. That makes a huge difference. Personnel to go inside and outside effectively I think is there but not sure if Hilliman or outlow can do both yet.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby StratEagle on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Why would Day give the ball to Sherman Alston? He only averages like 20 yards a touch :shrug
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby StratEagle on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Willis has shown nothing so far, which is surprising considering he was easily the best player on the team in the spring. I think we should just start Hilliman at this point
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Based on his TD, Philips needs to play more. I don’t know why Crimmins is playing so much. He didn’t get on the field at all the 2nd half of last season. Maybe Phillips and the FR just don’t know the offense/playbook well enough yet? Have not seen enough of Barksdale to judge him.

Howell is a good punter.

They removed Jones as the punt-returner after he let an easy one drop instead of calling for a fair catch, letting it roll 20yards and it being downed at the 3. Hope we do not see him back there again. I hate punt returns that won’t catch the ball.

Did Landry play at all?

Jerry York left at halftime.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:19 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Based on his TD, Philips needs to play more. I don’t know why Crimmins is playing so much. He didn’t get on the field at all the 2nd half of last season. Maybe Phillips and the FR just don’t know the offense/playbook well enough yet? Have not seen enough of Barksdale to judge him.

Howell is a good punter.

They removed Jones as the punt-returner after he let an easy one drop instead of calling for a fair catch, letting it roll 20yards and it being downed at the 3. Hope we do not see him back there again. I hate punt returns that won’t catch the ball.

Did Landry play at all?

Jerry York left at halftime.

Barksdale runs smoothly, I'd prefer him over Crimmins.

Alston should be returning punts.

Landry did play, made a nice tackle
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:20 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Willis has shown nothing so far, which is surprising considering he was easily the best player on the team in the spring. I think we should just start Hilliman at this point

Willis looks tentative. Is he injured or something?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Don't know about Willis. But he certainly doesn't look like the same player he was last year.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Would like to see hilliman get more carries. Could be a great all purpose back.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:37 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Was Alston even on the field other than that one stretch play that went for 12 yards?

Yes, i think it was the next possession. They ran what looked to be the exact same play, but this time Murphy faked the handoff to Alston, and then followed him for a 2 yard loss. Really dumb play if that was what Murphy was supposed to do.

They ran a lot of that against umass (Murphy keeping or handing off)

I don't get why Alston got so few snaps & touches

I didn't have any problems at all w the cops

Happy to see Bryce taken off PR as well, ST were poor against umass
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby wolverineneshl on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:03 pm

Some points on the TD passes, wouldn't it help to turn around at least and see the pass coming and have a chance to either pick it or knock it away ? I just don't understand that technique by the BC DBs at all.

Is there a chance to run a no huddle offense when the offense is not working ?

When BC picked the ball and did nothing, that was the beginning of the end in the 1st half. I left early in the 2nd half when I already knew the game was lost and BC was not making plays. I went home and skated in a pickup hockey game to vent my frustrations out.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:Don't know about Willis. But he certainly doesn't look like the same player he was last year.

Willis is fine on the kick returns. The problem is that he hasn't had holes in the run game.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:31 pm

I watched a motorcycle cop almost drag a guy away by his nosehairs. The game was not quite over. This guy was standing next to a vehicle not doing a thing. Bike cop tells him to pack it up. He says, I can't because the car is locked, it's not my car, and I don't have the key. After asking three times with the same response, cope turns off the bike and gets in his face. Guy folds the table and shrugs like what else can I do, not being a dick or anything, being very matter of fact. Another cop comes by and tells the first that they should move on. Makes sense.

Preface I did not have or see any issues.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium