USC Game Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: USC Game Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:39 am

The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:Can't believe I forgot to mention that I got to sit next to Derrick Knight and his Mom Marsha at the game. Fantastic people. What a great time.

Derrick is a great dude.

What a game, if you had told me deep in the Spaziani dark ages that we'd soon be beating USC with a spread, read option offense and our QB would rush for nearly 200 yards....

Have to worry about the gadget offense as I think it can be schemed against rather easily when you aren't letting Shakim keep things honest. Bordner needs to hold a clipboard and get another WR who can catch.

The spread is not a "gadget" offense at the college level. It's pretty much established at this point, 25+ years in.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:40 am

your defense of the spread is almost as automatic as the philly intern's defense of donahue
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:42 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:While I think it was dumb, Addazio explained his thinking on the 3rd down FGA before half. They had just used last TO, had 19 seconds. They are a running team that doesn't run most of their plays to the boundary. He didn't think that 19 seconds was enough time to run a play and spike the ball if they got caught in bounds, and he didn't think that they chance of improving field position substantially was worth the risk of losing an attempt at three.

I would have run a play. True problem though is that the kickers are terrible. If these two guys won the competition, how bad was the touted freshman in camp?

You couldn't spike it anyway if they didn't gain a first down, it was 3rd down

It was 3rd and 1 after the Bordner flip pass. My comment was assuming that they gained any positive yards, which would have resulted in a first down.

In the stands I was in disbelief and really pissed at this call. Watching the game back, I think it was actually the right call. If you try to run the ball there, your best case scenario is a first down, spike the ball to stop the clock and you're field goal try is a few yards closer. Very unlikely to break one to the house. Worst case: stopped short of the first down, don't have time for the field goal try. Or we put Murphy in shotgun and take a shot at the endzone. Best case TD...but so very unlikely the way Murphy was throwing and our receivers were catching. Worst case: INT.

I think this was less a reflection of Daz's coaching style than an example of Daz really knowing his team and making calls not based on a iron-clad unquestionable set of Football Rules, but rather what's the best move for his personel.

:cheer I actually really like this call now.

I dunno, maybe its a little hindsight on my part, but if the kicking is as shaky as it appears to be, why not run one more play and try to get closer? If the clock runs out, nothing lost.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:48 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:your defense of the spread is almost as automatic as the philly intern's defense of donahue

Yup. And you saw why Saturday night. Hard to get the 8-4 pro style fans to appreciate modern football, but it is coming slowly.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:While I think it was dumb, Addazio explained his thinking on the 3rd down FGA before half. They had just used last TO, had 19 seconds. They are a running team that doesn't run most of their plays to the boundary. He didn't think that 19 seconds was enough time to run a play and spike the ball if they got caught in bounds, and he didn't think that they chance of improving field position substantially was worth the risk of losing an attempt at three.

I would have run a play. True problem though is that the kickers are terrible. If these two guys won the competition, how bad was the touted freshman in camp?

You couldn't spike it anyway if they didn't gain a first down, it was 3rd down

It was 3rd and 1 after the Bordner flip pass. My comment was assuming that they gained any positive yards, which would have resulted in a first down.

In the stands I was in disbelief and really pissed at this call. Watching the game back, I think it was actually the right call. If you try to run the ball there, your best case scenario is a first down, spike the ball to stop the clock and you're field goal try is a few yards closer. Very unlikely to break one to the house. Worst case: stopped short of the first down, don't have time for the field goal try. Or we put Murphy in shotgun and take a shot at the endzone. Best case TD...but so very unlikely the way Murphy was throwing and our receivers were catching. Worst case: INT.

I think this was less a reflection of Daz's coaching style than an example of Daz really knowing his team and making calls not based on a iron-clad unquestionable set of Football Rules, but rather what's the best move for his personel.

:cheer I actually really like this call now.

I dunno, maybe its a little hindsight on my part, but if the kicking is as shaky as it appears to be, why not run one more play and try to get closer? If the clock runs out, nothing lost.

How much closer would you have to get in those 19 seconds? 20 yards? I suspect Daz was thinking that a 47 yarder would be no more or less sketchy for Howell than a 42 yarder. Distance isn't his problem, and I am not sure 7-8 yards improves his accuracy enough to take any chances with time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:55 am

The distance point on Howell is fair.

I would've ran another play and trusted Murphy not to take a sack there.

Miss Freese, was having nightmares of the missed PAT costing us
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle216 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:02 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:your defense of the spread is almost as automatic as the philly intern's defense of donahue

Yup. And you saw why Saturday night. Hard to get the 8-4 pro style fans to appreciate modern football, but it is coming slowly.

Daz is right on the money regarding this offense in college. In the NFL, the Brady/Peyton/Luck/Ryan model still works great, but at any given time, there are only a handful of people on the planet who can conduct this offense well, and you need a lot of other pieces also. What Daz is doing requires skill sets that are in far greater abundance, and therefore, it is much more likely that you will have the players to score enough points to win. Over time, we will get a lot more Murphys and Wades that Matt Ryans.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:03 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Get use to $70 tickets for big OOC games due to the guarantee BC needs to pay out.

Huh? What guarantee?

I think he's thinking that we paid USC $750K or whatever for them to play this game. Like Alabama would pay Northern Iowa to come to Tuscaloosa to get their asses kicked.

Either way, I like the market pricing. They guessed wrong on the sweet spot, but people will be willing to pay more for the USC game than the Maine game.

We didn't pay USC to come out here did we?

No.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:06 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Daz is right on the money regarding this offense in college. In the NFL, the Brady/Peyton/Luck/Ryan model still works great, but at any given time, there are only a handful of people on the planet who can conduct this offense well, and you need a lot of other pieces also. What Daz is doing requires skill sets that are in far greater abundance, and therefore, it is much more likely that you will have the players to score enough points to win. Over time, we will get a lot more Murphys and Wades that Matt Ryans.

This. Add that to a traditional BC O-Line, the one area that they have an actual recruiting advantage, and you have a recipe to win a ton of games.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Mod16A on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:06 am

Everything about that game was awesome...but what's going on with the tailgating situation? I waited in line for an hour to get onto Shea, and it wasn't anywhere near full. Got to campus around 4:45 and even the Mods were dead. I understand that tailgating restrictions limit things to 3 hours before the game, but it was pretty sad.
Mod16A
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:13 am

I never defended Donahue, I was just bored.

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:15 am

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Get use to $70 tickets for big OOC games due to the guarantee BC needs to pay out.

Huh? What guarantee?

I think he's thinking that we paid USC $750K or whatever for them to play this game. Like Alabama would pay Northern Iowa to come to Tuscaloosa to get their asses kicked.

Either way, I like the market pricing. They guessed wrong on the sweet spot, but people will be willing to pay more for the USC game than the Maine game.

No.

its a home and home, no one pays anyone.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:15 am

shea was nowhere near as crowded as its been historically for big games. the tailgating experience there for these first 2 games have been particularly frustrating

(insert comment about it being for losers and Harvard wannabes etc)
Last edited by commavegarage on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:16 am

1) BME, you stink. Get to the game on time. Your tailgate was lame, the burgers were gross, and it's bad form to wear pink whalepants after Labor Day. You are teaching your nerd niece bad habits. Drink faster next time.

b) This game was exhausting. A lot of emotion with the off-the-field stuff. The game itself was taxing. When we got the lead, I began looking at the clock every three or four seconds because it felt like USC was breathing down our necks. I was so tired after the game that I could barely manage to drink 27 beers.

iii) I walked past the mods on Friday and it was like I was transported to the planet Dorkulon 9000. It was 75 degrees and sunny and there was zero activity. For shame, nerds. For shame. You would think with all this nerd power we would move up in the academic rankings, but last I checked, we are still around number 31. Boo-urns.

IV) New englanders are the worst people on earth. Jesus, you people suck the life out of everything. I forgot how ridiculously parochial you jerks are. The negativity in that town stinks!

Cube root of 125) There was a certain board legend from Texas tailgating in the Robsham lot on Saturday. Somehow I missed the invitation to the nametag event (campion probably "forgot" to send it to me), but it looks like they had fun.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:16 am

b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:16 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Huh? What guarantee?

No.

its a home and home, no one pays anyone.

Even though USC is the southwestern Anchor of the PAC 12?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:23 am

That article was a waste of my time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HustlinOwl on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:26 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Image

Who did Bani have to murder to get in there?
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 am

Is that Trojan Princess?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:37 am

The girl in the black sweatshirt saying what seems to be "We just lost to Boston College!" in disbelief makes the GIF of the year in my book. Absolutely awesome.

We Are BC! (and all that jazz)
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:39 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Is that Trojan Princess?

So wait a second here.

USC dances and taunts BC pregame like thugs and precedes to dance on the field each TO until BC started running for about 10 yards a play and we're the classless ones?

:lame
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby mod6A on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:41 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Is that Trojan Princess?

i am surprised they didn,t mention getting pelted by snowballs in that sourgrapes piece.

the 3 heckles i was yelling sat night contained no profanity:
PETE CARROLL, YOU STINK!

KARDASHIAN!!

OJ PLAYED AT USC!!!

also- i was wearing some blue whalepants from murray,s. received many complements , including one from an older, obese whalepants who i got into a fascinating discussion with. he was still saying TOB was the best coach ever to walk the BC sideline. it was surreal.

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:45 am

After Murphy's TD run, I yelled out "give him Reggie Bush's Heisman!' My section did contain some USC fans.

The only other thing I saw was some drunk kid walking back to the mods made a point to throw a middle finger and yell Fuck You at every single USC fan he walked by. I hope he got punched by one of them.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:46 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:After Murphy's TD run, I yelled out "give him Reggie Bush's Heisman!' My section did contain some USC fans.

The only other thing I saw was some drunk kid walking back to the mods made a point to throw a middle finger and yell Fuck You at every single USC fan he walked by. I hope he got punched by one of them.

Kudos on the Reggie Bush line, that's funny.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:46 am

mod6A {l Wrote}:he was still saying TOB was the best coach ever to walk the BC sideline. it was surreal.

In his defense, Frank Leahy never had a bowl streak like TOBs.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:57 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That article was a waste of my time.

i think that's the gal that dominoj called a seaward
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:The only other thing I saw was some drunk kid walking back to the mods made a point to throw a middle finger and yell Fuck You at every single USC fan he walked by. I hope he got punched by one of them.

I just do not understand mongoloids like this
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:12 am

why is the guy with the phone holding a license plate? did he he steal it from a TJ O'Pootertoot's theme restaurant? Did he make it at his prison job? Does it say something about OJ finding the real killer?

Why is the guy in the upper left wearing an Indian headdress?

Is the girl wearing the cheerleader outfit? Is she a cheerleader? Why is she in the stands?

Are there any horse socks? Is anyone listening to me?
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:22 am

guy in the ski hat clearly just ripped one
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John