USC Game Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: USC Game Thread

Postby BCdee on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:40 pm

We tivo'd the replay tonight and are about to start the 2nd quarter. :elephant

We beat a baby rapists!!!

EDIT - how come I wrote b i g g u m and it came out baby rapist when I hit submit? What the....
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:45 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:
EDIT - how come I wrote b i g g u m and it came out baby rapist when I hit submit? What the....

The answer is "81."
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:45 pm

A few quick thoughts after getting home late last night from Alumni and watching the replay again:

Murphy is a hell of an athlete, and we're seeing the result of some quick recruiting from Daz that has added some good speed already to the lineup with Alston and Murphy. I think Murphy's intangibles and leadership are a great thing to have for a year to help develop Wade into our QB of the future. Murphy really was tremendous in disguising the ball on the zone read. At least 5 times I had no idea where the hell the ball was and I was sober.

Hilliman is going to be a great APB for us. Ran with power and speed. Rouse and Willis really did a good job recovering from a lackluster Pitt game. All in all, one thing I mentioned last week, was that these guys were all a bit deceptive and slippery and were making guys miss and/or falling forward and that makes a big difference.

The Oline battled out there and pushed USC around. It was great to see that classic BC staple return.

Murphy and Addazio are both very similar in their demeanor and it served everyone well in a game like this. There wasn't panic when down 10-0. There wasn't jumping up and down when they got the lead and that was from wire to wire. That really was a great influence for this team.

Defense. I'm having a hard time thinking of a missed tackle. Last week they missed 2-3 a play. It was impressive. They played out of their minds. USC could have probably passed at will. Their gameplan was just so heavy on going to the run after we were gashed by Pitt I don't think they were even considering having to throw that much early on. When they did it was too late. Pitt game and how we lost it probably really helped produce this win in how it prepared BC and how USC prepared for it as well.

Basically no penalties (one or two late in 4th quarter) and no fumbles. One INT was a bit of an odd play with the two WRs bunched. Something didn't happen correctly there. Two drops were both BIG plays that luckily didn't bite them. Considering everything, one INT, two drops, no penalties until garbage time, that is quite a clean game especially for this bunch.

Alston is obviously a great weapon. What a play call there at the end of the first half. They were showing Daz a lot on the sideline right before that play. He kept a good poker face.

Josh Keyes was a major factor out there. He couldn't be stopped on the blitzes and was impressive in his tackles. I think he overran one blitz where someone else sacked Kessler anyway but it was tough to fault him for being so disruptive on the play.

Kicking situation not too great right now.

The place was jumping all night in spite of the upper end zones being sparsely populated. Looked and sounded great on tv, especially on the 3rd downs. Alumni looks great at night and the crowd is rowdy. I think it's sad that we didn't sell this out. Considering how visible the Umass ads were for the BC game at Gillette, I didn't see a damn thing about this game in the city. BC really needs to step up the marketing. Pricing was also a big issue. Did Eaglekeeper/GDF set the prices? $45-$50 tix would have helped attendance a lot I think. Need to fill the place first before thinking of going bigger. BC constantly sending out emails of limited tix available was hilarious considering you can see right on their website how many tickets are available.

This game was the blue print for how BC should be beating teams. Running on them like crazy, bullying other teams in the trenches, and being able to stick to the basics of sound fundamentals with tackling and few penalties/turnovers.

All in all the heart and determination these guys displayed was something that was a sight to behold and they did Welles Crowther proud. The special accents of the unis were great. I've been waiting to get on that field for a celebration like this for a long time. Deke Cooper and Ed Reed had other plans for some of the bigger games it was looking like we'd get out there for but this one felt good.

Welles' dad is just a genuine gem of a human being. I am so impressed with him and loved the receiption him and his wife got. For Daz and company to get them in the locker room and get them a game ball, it says to me that Daz gets it.

It's great to be an eagle. :screamyeagle
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Sherman Alston getting some pub:
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/colleges ... 6-freshman

I expect the Tyler Murphy Heisman campaign to start up soon... :banana
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:54 pm

MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:57 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:And to think Hansen was not there because the team was not good enough to warrant his presence. Stay home next week too.

It's either that or the fact that I live 7,500 miles away from Boston.
I'll let you figure out which one.

Shortly after I discovered HBO, I heard about these things called airplanes that can get you anywhere in the world in 24 hours. It's still hard to fathom.

I couldn't miss work on Monday (unfortunately).
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:57 pm

MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Get use to $70 tickets for big OOC games due to the guarantee BC needs to pay out.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:56 am

Tyler Murphy had a nice interview with Steve Burton on channel 4 Sports Final. It would be great if we beat Syracuse this year for payback not just last year's game in the dome but previous games they beat us when we were in the Big East. Next 2 games, they can work on a lot of things they need to work on I think.

I was surprised by how many USC fans made the trip across. I talked to one fan after the game as he was looking for his bus as we were walking towards the Brighton Parking area.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:57 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Image

Priceless )) Total shock and disbelief ))
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:55 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Get use to $70 tickets for big OOC games due to the guarantee BC needs to pay out.

Huh? What guarantee?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:58 am

wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:

I love trying to read the lips. I think the guy on the left said, "oh shit" and the girl behind him said, "it's against Boston College though..." :cheers
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:08 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Get use to $70 tickets for big OOC games due to the guarantee BC needs to pay out.

Huh? What guarantee?

what?

BC charged $70 because that's what they thought the market would pay (they were mostly wrong)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:19 am

BCdee {l Wrote}:
wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:

I love trying to read the lips. I think the guy on the left said, "oh shit" and the girl behind him said, "it's against Boston College though..." :cheers

Homeless Kenny G is thinking, "That's not how you play Buttercup."
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:23 am

watching it again, several things i noticed:

1) really liked when BC lined up up Hilliman as a FB & Willis as the RB. also nice for willis to have a bounceback game. with the stable of RBs getting touches, not as concerned having him back as kr
2) disagree with daz that our wr as a group are better this year.
3) offense looks a hell of a lot different when the OL blocks
4) our CBs used the sideline well
5) pretty crazy how much tackling improved over 1 week
6) daniels shouldn't be covering rbs out of the backfield
7) if bc continues to work at getting back those 10k season ticket holders lost during the spaz error, alumni can get pretty loud. addazio is 6-2 at home
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:02 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Huh? What guarantee?

I think he's thinking that we paid USC $750K or whatever for them to play this game. Like Alabama would pay Northern Iowa to come to Tuscaloosa to get their asses kicked.

Either way, I like the market pricing. They guessed wrong on the sweet spot, but people will be willing to pay more for the USC game than the Maine game.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:16 am

While I think it was dumb, Addazio explained his thinking on the 3rd down FGA before half. They had just used last TO, had 19 seconds. They are a running team that doesn't run most of their plays to the boundary. He didn't think that 19 seconds was enough time to run a play and spike the ball if they got caught in bounds, and he didn't think that they chance of improving field position substantially was worth the risk of losing an attempt at three.

I would have run a play. True problem though is that the kickers are terrible. If these two guys won the competition, how bad was the touted freshman in camp?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:21 am

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Huh? What guarantee?

I think he's thinking that we paid USC $750K or whatever for them to play this game. Like Alabama would pay Northern Iowa to come to Tuscaloosa to get their asses kicked.

Either way, I like the market pricing. They guessed wrong on the sweet spot, but people will be willing to pay more for the USC game than the Maine game.

We didn't pay USC to come out here did we?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:While I think it was dumb, Addazio explained his thinking on the 3rd down FGA before half. They had just used last TO, had 19 seconds. They are a running team that doesn't run most of their plays to the boundary. He didn't think that 19 seconds was enough time to run a play and spike the ball if they got caught in bounds, and he didn't think that they chance of improving field position substantially was worth the risk of losing an attempt at three.

I would have run a play. True problem though is that the kickers are terrible. If these two guys won the competition, how bad was the touted freshman in camp?

You couldn't spike it anyway if they didn't gain a first down, it was 3rd down
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:23 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:While I think it was dumb, Addazio explained his thinking on the 3rd down FGA before half. They had just used last TO, had 19 seconds. They are a running team that doesn't run most of their plays to the boundary. He didn't think that 19 seconds was enough time to run a play and spike the ball if they got caught in bounds, and he didn't think that they chance of improving field position substantially was worth the risk of losing an attempt at three.

It was 3rd and 1 after the Bordner flip pass. My comment was assuming that they gained any positive yards, which would have resulted in a first down.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:33 am

What a fantastic weekend. That was my first time back at the Heights for a game in two years. Got together with lots of my former roommates who drove in from all over the East Coast.

In the afternoon went to the Common and Newbury Street with our wives and there were a ton of USC fans. Makes sense, USC reallly does not get to the Northeast too much to play so this was a big event for their New England, NY and mid-Atlantic alumni.

Stayed in the Needham Sheraton and was walking in to check in as the team was gathering in the lobby to board the busses for the game. I claim personal responsibility for the win, as I rode the elevator with two players and gave them these inspiring, heartfelf and profound words of wisdom: "Good luck guys, you can do this." They nodded and said "thanks." I know, the Dazzler himself could not have given a more inspiring pre-game sendoff. :) (I'm still reviewing the roster to see who they were - I did not recognize either and think they were both freshmen). Taking the Needham shuttle was awesome, shockingly efficient and great as I didn't need to worry about driving at all.

Of course it poured during tailgaiting but I'll give the cops credit, they did not force our group to leave until well into the first quarter. The game itself was fantastic. Others have posted about that so I'll leave it out - other than to point out that having Wells' parents there was unbelievable (there were more than a few tears shed), and the moment with Frates and his family was perfectly done. One neat thing was that as the clock ran out and my niece and her friends rushed the field, I was able to take some great pictures of them doing so, while at the same time she was able to take some of our group from down on the field. Some great memories there.

I cannot overstate that BC did an absolutley fantastic job handling the logistics of this game, and the Wells and Frates themes as well. Bates and his staff, and yes, the folks at ESPN, really did an incredible job pulling out all the stops to make this a signature event for the school and something everyone present will never forget. While of course it was a marquee football game because of the opponent, it was BC's night on the national stage, and the school shined. Well done to all.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:49 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
Of course it poured during tailgaiting but I'll give the cops credit, they did not force our group to leave until well into the first quarter.

BME, I thought you were a real fan?!

Man, if it weren't for the cops, our fans would never come into the stadium. Not even for USC. It's hopeless.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:00 am

Suck it Rodney Peete!
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

It was 3rd and 1 after the Bordner flip pass. My comment was assuming that they gained any positive yards, which would have resulted in a first down.

In the stands I was in disbelief and really pissed at this call. Watching the game back, I think it was actually the right call. If you try to run the ball there, your best case scenario is a first down, spike the ball to stop the clock and you're field goal try is a few yards closer. Very unlikely to break one to the house. Worst case: stopped short of the first down, don't have time for the field goal try. Or we put Murphy in shotgun and take a shot at the endzone. Best case TD...but so very unlikely the way Murphy was throwing and our receivers were catching. Worst case: INT.

I think this was less a reflection of Daz's coaching style than an example of Daz really knowing his team and making calls not based on a iron-clad unquestionable set of Football Rules, but rather what's the best move for his personel.

:cheer I actually really like this call now.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:08 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
Of course it poured during tailgaiting but I'll give the cops credit, they did not force our group to leave until well into the first quarter.

BME, I thought you were a real fan?!

Man, if it weren't for the cops, our fans would never come into the stadium. Not even for USC. It's hopeless.

I have no defense, other than this was the first time in two years I got to see many of my good friends, and we'd spent alot of time and money putting the tailgate together and it was a blast. I'm probably coming up again later this fall (either Colorado State or Clemson) and will get in earlier then.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:09 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

In the stands I was in disbelief and really pissed at this call. Watching the game back, I think it was actually the right call. If you try to run the ball there, your best case scenario is a first down, spike the ball to stop the clock and you're field goal try is a few yards closer. Very unlikely to break one to the house. Worst case: stopped short of the first down, don't have time for the field goal try. Or we put Murphy in shotgun and take a shot at the endzone. Best case TD...but so very unlikely the way Murphy was throwing and our receivers were catching. Worst case: INT.

I think this was less a reflection of Daz's coaching style than an example of Daz really knowing his team and making calls not based on a iron-clad unquestionable set of Football Rules, but rather what's the best move for his personel.

:cheer I actually really like this call now.

Yup. Up in the stands it seemed bad at the time, but after watching the game back last night it was the right call.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:11 am

Can't believe I forgot to mention that I got to sit next to Derrick Knight and his Mom Marsha at the game. Fantastic people. What a great time.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:Can't believe I forgot to mention that I got to sit next to Derrick Knight and his Mom Marsha at the game. Fantastic people. What a great time.

Derrick is a great dude.

What a game, if you had told me deep in the Spaziani dark ages that we'd soon be beating USC with a spread, read option offense and our QB would rush for nearly 200 yards....

Have to worry about the gadget offense as I think it can be schemed against rather easily when you aren't letting Shakim keep things honest. Bordner needs to hold a clipboard and get another WR who can catch.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:...my niece...

Has she taken any of our advice?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:31 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:...my niece...

Has she taken any of our advice?

Still trying to distill all the pearls of wisdom from that thread into something a little more useful. It's taking a little longer than I thought. :)
Last edited by Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium