2016 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016 Recruiting Thread

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:04 am

I don't really understand the Flutie backlash. I really don't get it at all. Is he better than Smith? I certainly don't believe so, but that isn't some sort of major slight. I think he'd be a very nice receiver for us if ever given the chance. Which means that I think he is a solid ACC player in the mold of Swiggert or Robinson (to other QBs converted to WR upon arrival).

It may not be saying much, but Spaz's last OC was enamored with Troy as a Junior. Word was that they pegged Troy as their #1 target for QB.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:20 am

I'd take Spaz pegging Troy to be his QB with a grain of salt -- Spaz was in total run out the string as long as possible mode -- he probably figured a Flutie would buy him another couple of years through whalepants goodwill. But I'm with you on the backlash re. Flutie
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:28 am

I give Teddy a great deal of credit for the degree of backlash he brought down on this poor kid.

It doesn't take much to get Microdick and friends rolling, but Flutie didn't deserve a tenth of the vitriol he received here and between the false propping up of smith (who is OK for a true freshman and may be good later), calling the staff and supporters of flutie racist and denegrating Flutie's ability to the point where you'd think we were talking about Marco Polo, I am truly impressed.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:33 am

Depends on whether you are talking about QB or WR. Kid never should have been put under center, he's a WR. I never had any problem with his recruitment at that position, and as I have reiterated on a number of occasions, think he could probably help us there now. He's just not remotely close to being a QB. And my vitriol is not for the kid, but the idiots that put him in a position to fail miserably, which he did.

And I did none of the things in your second paragraph. The on field results pretty much speak for themselves.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:39 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Depends on whether you are talking about QB or WR. Kid never should have been put under center, he's a WR. I never had any problem with his recruitment at that position, and as I have reiterated on a number of occasions, think he could probably help us there now. He's just not remotely close to being a QB. And my vitriol is not for the kid, but the idiots that put him in a position to fail miserably, which he did.

And I did none of the things in your second paragraph. The on field results pretty much speak for themselves.

You're basically Al Sharpton, RKTBRKR and Joseph Goebbels rolled into one person.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:42 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Depends on whether you are talking about QB or WR. Kid never should have been put under center, he's a WR. I never had any problem with his recruitment at that position, and as I have reiterated on a number of occasions, think he could probably help us there now. He's just not remotely close to being a QB. And my vitriol is not for the kid, but the idiots that put him in a position to fail miserably, which he did.

You're basically Al Sharpton, RKTBRKR and Joseph Goebbels rolled into one person.

I laughed. Couldn't think of an evil person that hates not scoring?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Bill Cosby?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:51 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Bill Cosby?

There you go.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I give Teddy a great deal of credit for the degree of backlash he brought down on this poor kid.

It doesn't take much to get Microdick and friends rolling, but Flutie didn't deserve a tenth of the vitriol he received here and between the false propping up of smith (who is OK for a true freshman and may be good later), calling the staff and supporters of flutie racist and denegrating Flutie's ability to the point where you'd think we were talking about Marco Polo, I am truly impressed.

It's not about Flutie and was never about Lonnie Jackson. It's about the absolute morons who are BC fans who continue to advocate that these guys play. It drives me absolutely nuts. It's as if people don't watch the game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:42 am

I have no clue if he can catch or run routes but nothing about his running ability as a QB makes me think he's an ACC WR. These guys we trot out as WRs would get laughed off of half the rosters in the conference.

Whoever is coaching them is failing miserably also
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:14 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:I'd take Spaz pegging Troy to be his QB with a grain of salt -- Spaz was in total run out the string as long as possible mode -- he probably figured a Flutie would buy him another couple of years through whalepants goodwill. But I'm with you on the backlash re. Flutie

I said Spaz's last OC... Doug Martin... who most thought was pretty solid and is currently the head coach at shady New Mexico State.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:22 pm

What evidence is there of Flutie being a good WR? No way he runs a 4.5! We have no offense designed to meet Flutie's skill set. He was in the gun full time in HS, not under center. BC should copy the Pats and go to a short passing game.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:23 am

my thoughts on flutie have been made pretty clear but 100% no snark, what exactly is his 'skill set'
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:15 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I have no clue if he can catch or run routes but nothing about his running ability as a QB makes me think he's an ACC WR. These guys we trot out as WRs would get laughed off of half the rosters in the conference.

Troy Flutie is not a QB or WR in the ACC. To think otherwise is foolish.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:20 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:my thoughts on flutie have been made pretty clear but 100% no snark, what exactly is his 'skill set'

I think he sees the field pretty well, can move in the pocket, run a little, he doesn't make terrible decisions. I'd like to see what he could do with a real offensive line and another year in the program.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:21 am

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Oh ok.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:47 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:my thoughts on flutie have been made pretty clear but 100% no snark, what exactly is his 'skill set'

I think he sees the field pretty well, can move in the pocket, run a little, he doesn't make terrible decisions. I'd like to see what he could do with a real offensive line and another year in the program.

All of that is great if you can throw.

I don't think he is a bad athlete, he's just not a good enough thrower or runner or combo to be a satisfactory QB at this level. I think he is a slot receiver. Has to be better than Dudeck.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 25GeraldRd on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I don't think he is a bad athlete, he's just not a good enough thrower or runner or combo to be a satisfactory QB at this level. I think he is a slot receiver. Has to be better than Dudeck.

i continue to be miffed by this "flutie as a WR" idea. flutie moves slightly better than average for a QB. i think he'd be the slowest WR in the ACC. Bordner was faster than him and was 6'4 230 so he could actually block some of these DBs, Flutie is listed at 6' and 180 - a guy that size needs to be shifty and quick and flutie is neither of those.

Flutie is what he is - a backup QB. that's fine, there's value in having a backup QB who can come in and do certain things. maybe as a 5th year senior he'd evolve into a decent enough starter by being able to do a bunch of things. but i don't understand the idea that he needs to be moved to the WR corps or even more hilarious, the secondary! who has he run away from? what defenders has he evaded with his speed?

the bigger problem is we probably don't have a starter. not sure what Smith is at this point, but if they aren't going to let him do some of the designed runs that Murphy used to do, his effectiveness is going to be pretty limited.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:22 am

I don't think Flutie is as slow as people make him out to be. I just don't think he is fast enough to be an option QB. He's got enough speed to play in the slot at this level.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:35 am

if flutie is a slot wr for us, we're in trouble
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:38 am

Newsflash, they are already in trouble. I also wasn't suggesting he was the starter in the slot taking 60 snaps.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:53 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

You're setting a high standard....

Do people say he should play the slot because he's short and white? That has to be it because he's neither fast nor shifty. As mentioned Bordner would smoke him in a 40 yard dash
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:56 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Newsflash, they are already in trouble. I also wasn't suggesting he was the starter in the slot taking 60 snaps.

but how is having him as the 3rd or 4th string slot WR better than having him as the backup QB? we have no other scholarship QBs after him. maybe in a year or two if we have 4-5 scholarship QBs on the depth chart it'd make sense to explore such a scenario, but Flutie is a backup QB and should be a backup QB.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:05 am

25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

i continue to be miffed by this "flutie as a WR" idea. flutie moves slightly better than average for a QB. i think he'd be the slowest WR in the ACC. Bordner was faster than him and was 6'4 230 so he could actually block some of these DBs, Flutie is listed at 6' and 180 - a guy that size needs to be shifty and quick and flutie is neither of those.

Flutie is what he is - a backup QB. that's fine, there's value in having a backup QB who can come in and do certain things. maybe as a 5th year senior he'd evolve into a decent enough starter by being able to do a bunch of things. but i don't understand the idea that he needs to be moved to the WR corps or even more hilarious, the secondary! who has he run away from? what defenders has he evaded with his speed?

the bigger problem is we probably don't have a starter. not sure what Smith is at this point, but if they aren't going to let him do some of the designed runs that Murphy used to do, his effectiveness is going to be pretty limited.

I was complaining in the Clemson game about no designed runs. I then realized Smith at 180 lbs will get hurt if he runs 20 times a game and then it's Duck Chuck time. This staff really screwed up moving Robinson to WR I can't imagine having been on campus since the winter he wouldn't be in there.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:09 am

25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Newsflash, they are already in trouble. I also wasn't suggesting he was the starter in the slot taking 60 snaps.

but how is having him as the 3rd or 4th string slot WR better than having him as the backup QB? we have no other scholarship QBs after him. maybe in a year or two if we have 4-5 scholarship QBs on the depth chart it'd make sense to explore such a scenario, but Flutie is a backup QB and should be a backup QB.

I understand that he needs to hold the clipboard now because there is no one else left to do so this season. I'm talking about next year. We know he is not the answer at QB, when we have sufficient bodies, move him someplace where there is at least a chance he might be able to help the team.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:10 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Do people say he should play the slot because he's short and white? That has to be it because he's neither fast nor shifty. As mentioned Bordner would smoke him in a 40 yard dash

The answer to your question is no. And the Bordner thing makes me laugh every time it is mentioned, so thanks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:27 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I like having a slot guy that can be a possession receiver. The athletic wideouts can run deeper routes leaving the slot guy under As a check down. This is especially important when you got a young QB. It's nice to know there is always an option. If Flutie has good hands, I don't give a fuck what his 40 is. It's not like he'll be running a vertical route anyway (or at least he shouldn't).

I though Billy was going to own this role but I'm not sure if it's the coaches not calling the plays, the QB not making the read, or Billy not getting open but I've been a little disappointed at his performance this year as our slot guy.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:52 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Oh ok.

Hey Darren, don't be upset. Troy is Ivy or Patriot League material. That is all.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:56 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Oh ok.

Hey Darren, don't be upset. Troy is Ivy or Patriot League material. That is all.

Yeah OK buddy, thankfully Smith will surpass his Ivy or Patriot League passing stats no later than the NC State game. Or, is it not cool to support Smith anymore because he's not the backup?

It's hard to keep track of these things.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:36 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Oh ok.

You're treading on my territory here
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium