Addazio Postgame

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio Postgame

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I would think we're an underdog in Raleigh.

I agree here. It will be this group's first true road game.

If we beat CSU, absolutely no shot. NCSU plays FSU and Clemson in successive weeks and then us. Not only will their national perception be brought back to reality but they will be banged up and not in 'ideal' shape to face our running game.... I think Vegas would take all of this into account when figuring a line. In this scenario, we should be favored by 3.

No chance at all. That means BC would be a TD favorite one neutral field.

BC is more than a TD favorite on the road against that team. If BC wins convincingly this week, as they should, after FSU and CLEM, BC will be close to a TD favorite over NCSU

No...

Yes. BC has always been a 5-7 to 7-5 team and NCSU has always been fucking terrible and nothing about the first 4 games changes that.

We're arguing a different point. I think BC should win, but in Raleigh there's no chance BC is favored. Heck we're only favored by 4 against what most on here think is a crappy CSU team.

This weekend is a tougher game.

Vegas won't agree. We were also a terrible road team last year
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:45 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

If we beat CSU, absolutely no shot. NCSU plays FSU and Clemson in successive weeks and then us. Not only will their national perception be brought back to reality but they will be banged up and not in 'ideal' shape to face our running game.... I think Vegas would take all of this into account when figuring a line. In this scenario, we should be favored by 3.

BC is more than a TD favorite on the road against that team. If BC wins convincingly this week, as they should, after FSU and CLEM, BC will be close to a TD favorite over NCSU

No...

Yes. BC has always been a 5-7 to 7-5 team and NCSU has always been fucking terrible and nothing about the first 4 games changes that.

We're arguing a different point. I think BC should win, but in Raleigh there's no chance BC is favored. Heck we're only favored by 4 against what most on here think is a crappy CSU team.

Agreed. I will bet anyone on this board a box of Method Man's special brand of e-cigars that Raleigh State Community College will be favored.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

No...

Agreed. I will bet anyone on this board a box of Method Man's special brand of e-cigars that Raleigh State Community College will be favored.

BC is going to roll up a ton of rushing yards against these next two opponents
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:57 am

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

No...

BC will look good with ground and pound this weekend and the Rolly Clowns have two games where they may get outscored by combined triple digits.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:40 am

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:a box of Method Man's special brand of e-cigars

Oh my God I have been living in a cave.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:53 am

Diversify your bonds, bitches indeed.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Funny thing is, my roommate is a well informed NCSU grad and he thinks they not only suck but that Doreen is an idiot. We have watched all 4 of their games against Georgia Southern, Presbyterian and the likes and have seen nothing to say otherwise. Where Daz tailors his system to his players, Doreen is a one trick pony without the tools. (Although, Bissett can throw the ball).

On a side note about their program, stealing Landry away from them speaks volumes about their recruiting capabilities. They have a gorgeous stadium, solid atmosphere (when compared to us) and no academic restrictions, not to mention the wonderful climate/tailgating down in NC. They should kill us in recruiting year in and year out but wont with Doreen at the helm.

I hope they beat FSU and Clemson, I just don't see it happening just as I don't see them being favored when they play us.

The problem is there is a lot of competition for the football factory type of kid, and NCSU will always come up short against the like of the SEC, the other football factories in the ACC, and the various factories across the country. Having a great stadium, atmosphere, no academic restrictions and good climate makes them simply similar to the majority of other programs out there. Its not a unique set of attributes. Of the countless schools that have these attributes, many will never win, and NCSU is one of them. They are absolutely not in competition with BC in recruiting. A kid like Landry is an example - if he wants to get away, experience something different, and prepare himself for life without the NFL, he chooses BC (or Vandy, ND, maybe GIT, etc). If he just wants to play football at a factory because he thinks he is an NFL lock, than he will choose FSU, Clemson, SEC-du-jour, etc. This is why NCSU mostly sucks.

The reason that Silberman & Patchan transferred here is that they thought that Daz and BC would give them their best NFL chance. For an O-Lineman he has a lot of players he can point as examples. For running backs like Hilliman and Outlow - what he did with Andre last year - gave them the confidence to choose BC over the Florida, Ohio State, etc

The real edge that Addazio gives us is that the players believe that he improves their NFL chances & they can get all of the other BC benefits as well. Coughlin is the only other BC coach who I can remember that also had this cachet

While I will take every opportunity to shit on TOB and Spaz, there are a shit ton of 2 stars from BC in the NFL right now that think your last sentence is ridiculous.

Didn't want to leave you hanging TW, happy to explain my thoughts. My point wasn't that TOB, Spaz, Jags didn't have a bunch of players in the NFL. They obviously did and as you point out many BC 2 stars ended up as great players.

My point was that some coaches have more cred/cachet with players than others. Addazio who won national recruiter of the year a few year's ago, has two championships at FLA, and a big time personality that attracts & gets high level recruits to brag about becoming "dudes", has that credibility. It is why he was able to get Hilliman. Landry and Outlow to choose BC over Florida, Ohio State etc. even coming off a 2-10 year. IMO recruits & post grad transfers reacted to the recent BC coaches as below:

Coughlin = able to position BC at its zenith
TOB = able to position BC as "we are what we are" and get moderate classes
Jags = little more cred than TOB in year 1 - unbelievably lazy year 2 = very limited cred if he stayed
Spaz - able to position BC as ""hey we're better than Holy Cross most years" [laughs]
Addazio = able to position BC at its zenith - able pull recruits others can't - able to get BC more ESPN attention than all of the above.

He (and maybe Coughlin) is the only coach of the above who has a small chance to potentially propel BC to a Stanford like turn around.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Funny thing is, my roommate is a well informed NCSU grad and he thinks they not only suck but that Doreen is an idiot. We have watched all 4 of their games against Georgia Southern, Presbyterian and the likes and have seen nothing to say otherwise. Where Daz tailors his system to his players, Doreen is a one trick pony without the tools. (Although, Bissett can throw the ball).

On a side note about their program, stealing Landry away from them speaks volumes about their recruiting capabilities. They have a gorgeous stadium, solid atmosphere (when compared to us) and no academic restrictions, not to mention the wonderful climate/tailgating down in NC. They should kill us in recruiting year in and year out but wont with Doreen at the helm.

I hope they beat FSU and Clemson, I just don't see it happening just as I don't see them being favored when they play us.

The problem is there is a lot of competition for the football factory type of kid, and NCSU will always come up short against the like of the SEC, the other football factories in the ACC, and the various factories across the country. Having a great stadium, atmosphere, no academic restrictions and good climate makes them simply similar to the majority of other programs out there. Its not a unique set of attributes. Of the countless schools that have these attributes, many will never win, and NCSU is one of them. They are absolutely not in competition with BC in recruiting. A kid like Landry is an example - if he wants to get away, experience something different, and prepare himself for life without the NFL, he chooses BC (or Vandy, ND, maybe GIT, etc). If he just wants to play football at a factory because he thinks he is an NFL lock, than he will choose FSU, Clemson, SEC-du-jour, etc. This is why NCSU mostly sucks.

The reason that Silberman & Patchan transferred here is that they thought that Daz and BC would give them their best NFL chance. For an O-Lineman he has a lot of players he can point as examples. For running backs like Hilliman and Outlow - what he did with Andre last year - gave them the confidence to choose BC over the Florida, Ohio State, etc

The real edge that Addazio gives us is that the players believe that he improves their NFL chances & they can get all of the other BC benefits as well. Coughlin is the only other BC coach who I can remember that also had this cachet

While I will take every opportunity to shit on TOB and Spaz, there are a shit ton of 2 stars from BC in the NFL right now that think your last sentence is ridiculous.

Didn't want to leave you hanging TW, happy to explain my thoughts. My point wasn't that TOB, Spaz, Jags didn't have a bunch of players in the NFL. They obviously did and as you point out many BC 2 stars ended up as great players.

My point was that some coaches have more cred/cachet with players than others. Addazio who won national recruiter of the year a few year's ago, has two championships at FLA, and a big time personality that attracts & gets high level recruits to brag about becoming "dudes", has that credibility. It is why he was able to get Hilliman. Landry and Outlow to choose BC over Florida, Ohio State etc. even coming off a 2-10 year. IMO recruits & post grad transfers reacted to the recent BC coaches as below:

Jags = little more cred than TOB in year 1 - unbelievably lazy year 2 = very limited cred if he stayed
Spaz - able to position BC as ""hey we're better than Holy Cross most years" [laughs]
Addazio = able to position BC at its zenith - able pull recruits others can't - able to get BC more ESPN attention than all of the above.

He (and maybe Coughlin) is the only coach of the above who has a small chance to potentially propel BC to a Stanford like turn around.

I'm not saying that Daz isn't a much better recruiter. I'm just saying its not because he turned Andre Williams into Ricky Williams. Spaz could just as easily point to Raji or Kuechly to stack the D-Line or LB. Logan and Jags could note the difference between Matt Ryan circa 2006 and Matty Ice, Heisman candidate, circa 2007. They can also point to The Making of Anthony Costanzo, First Round Draft Pick.

I only objected to the "improves chances at NFL" comment. BC as an institution generally does that, regardless of coach. There's no question he is a better recruiter.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:

I'm not saying that Daz isn't a much better recruiter. I'm just saying its not because he turned Andre Williams into Ricky Williams. Spaz could just as easily point to Raji or Kuechly to stack the D-Line. Logan and Jags could note the difference between Matt Ryan circa 2006 and Matty Ice, Heisman candidate, circa 2007. They can also point to The Making of Anthony Costanzo, First Round Draft Pick.

I only objected to the "improves chances at NFL" comment. BC as an institution generally does that, regardless of coach. There's no question he is a better recruiter.

My point wasn't that Addazio improves chances at NFL, and by implication none of the other BC coaches did - my point was that players/recruits feel that he improves their chances - and BC benefits from that feeling by getting better players. If you agree with that statement we are once again on the same page
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:

I'm not saying that Daz isn't a much better recruiter. I'm just saying its not because he turned Andre Williams into Ricky Williams. Spaz could just as easily point to Raji or Kuechly to stack the D-Line. Logan and Jags could note the difference between Matt Ryan circa 2006 and Matty Ice, Heisman candidate, circa 2007. They can also point to The Making of Anthony Costanzo, First Round Draft Pick.

My point wasn't that Addazio improves chances at NFL, and by implication none of the other BC coaches did - my point was that players/recruits feel that he improves their chances - and BC benefits from that feeling by getting better players. If you agree with that statement we are once again on the same page

I think he's a better recruiter. I have no idea whether it is because he makes kids feel like he improves their chances for the NFL. Maybe so. I'd note that Hilliman is the only back to commit after the Andre show became apparent.

No clue how that relates to Coughlin in any way.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:31 pm

This is the future we dreamed about as kids: rap stars hawking electronic cigars on a network of interconnected computers.

Arthur C Clarke could not have imagined these dizzying heights in his wildest dreams.

Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:39 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:

If ncsu had a better coach (including the recruiting aspect) aka, someone like Daz, would we still have a recruiting advantage? I don't think so. And that's one thing I was attempting to get accross. Ncsu could be good, they just hired a crap coach

I don't know where the proposition that NCSU is a more attractive destination than BC comes from, other than their fans. Certainly not distant or recent history. That program has done practically nothing. And done it for a long time.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:01 pm

I have a relative who is UNC fan and generally speaking has since I attended BC trotted out the usual knocks on BC that a) no kid wants to go to Boston because it's cold in the winter b) it's a pro town c) BC is too hard academically for a kid to want to go but for a few exceptions - why go there and have to work when you can go a NCSU or FSU and not have to do much at all. And if you wanted to, wouldn't you just go to Stanford or Duke anyway?

I don't buy any of it (well, Boston is cold, but so is half the country). but it lingers out there. I guess the idea being, NCSU has none of the things that supposedly hold BC back, therefore NCSU will inevitably be a world beater.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:20 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:I have a relative who is UNC fan and generally speaking has since I attended BC trotted out the usual knocks on BC that a) no kid wants to go to Boston because it's cold in the winter b) it's a pro town c) BC is too hard academically for a kid to want to go but for a few exceptions - why go there and have to work when you can go a NCSU or FSU and not have to do much at all. And if you wanted to, wouldn't you just go to Stanford or Duke anyway?

I don't buy any of it (well, Boston is cold, but so is half the country). but it lingers out there. I guess the idea being, NCSU has none of the things that supposedly hold BC back, therefore NCSU will inevitably be a world beater.

Those are the factors and, in my opinion, they do matter.

However, no one is saying ncsu should be a world beater.....

I am just saying that for your avg 3-4 star recruit coming from football states, those states mainly being in warmer climates and those student athletes mostly coming from different backgrounds than your avg bc student therefore having different values than your prototypical bc student, ncsu should be a more attractive option (easier sell). This is obviously dependent on both schools having coaches with similar recruiting abilities.

And obviously, for certain perspective athletes (ones caring about academics, aside from certain engineering and ag programs) bc would be the no brainer choice.

These points all have no direct bearing on the actual football program, it's history of success, and ability to produce NFL talent. Conference affiliation aside, you could change FIU or USF with NCSU and your hypo and the "positives" are all the same.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:27 pm

North Carolina is not a warm state. You have to go to South Florida area to get a warm climate.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:15 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:North Carolina is not a warm state. You have to go to South Florida area to get a warm climate.

Please read the text before making comments. Multiple times I said warmer. For reference, it's in my response RIGHT above your post.

you kind of remind me of vinny
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:51 am

i disagree. north carolina is certainly warmer than boston/newton.

i don't really know what vinny is trying to pull here
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:44 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i disagree. north carolina is certainly warmer than boston/newton.

I hate you.

Ah, now you're pretending to be one of TRE's brothers. Got it.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:51 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i disagree. north carolina is certainly warmer than boston/newton.

I hate you.

TRE is related to Vinny Salzano?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:14 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I hate you.

no, my brothers all drink
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:31 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I hate you.

It dulls the pain of being your brother. At least that's what they told me last Easter.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:14 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I hate you.

It dulls the pain of being your brother. At least that's what they told me last Easter.

Do you send your brothers meatbombs too?
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:17 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I hate you.

His brothers can't open Christmas cards around their children.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:26 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I hate you.

His brothers can't open Christmas cards around their children.

yeah, christmas cards became an obvious target. now i have to disguise the meatbomb card in envelopes that look like they are from credable sources... banks, credit cards, adam & eve, etc
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I hate you.

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:29 pm

Which is especially ironic given you are the only person on the Nexus that can actually still buy Zima.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium