USC Game Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: USC Game Thread

Postby joesim on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:51 am

Great freakin game. I go to Bentley but I went with my friend from school who's cousin is Bobby Vardaro. We stood in the student section, the crowd was the electric, and storming the field like that is something ill never forget
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:54 am

College football is an emotional game and kudos to Dazz and staff for harnessing the emotions and getting the best possible game from their team.

USC was super flat, mentally they never got off the plane, I think it was the worst OL performance i've ever seen from a USC team, big, fat and very slow. It's like their staff never scouted BC.

BC runners and Murphy have done great job holding onto the ball, only 1 bad pitch last night but they have to get some more out of the passing game, not everyone will stack the box as ineptly as USC
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:50 am

NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:19 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:Who the fuck thought Aguilar was actually spelt "aquolocarashole"

SC punter had the worst football pants I have ever seen.

Pitt will be 12-0 with their schedule.

Nestler and blackledge called the best game I have heard in a long time.

Our WR still suck at the pass catching portion or wide receiving. Can block the shit out people in a small high school white boy offense type of way.

1. this is what happens when you go from watching ESPN3 to ESPN.
2. Our WRs are TEs lining up out wide. They are what they are. They are there to block with an occasional pass in the flats. Any time we need to go vertical, it has to be to shakim.

Came home and re-watched the game. Cannot agree more about the call of the game: Blackledge called the best game I have heard in a very long time.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:47 am

Kessler was very impressive.

Milano had a really good game.

USC got away with a TON of holding all game
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:59 am

Deserves mentioning that Alston was a huge upgrade on the punt return duties. Handled the catches well, didn't give up unnecessary yards and has the chance to break returns with his speed. Very impressive for a freshman.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:13 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Get some, kids

Just being a dude I guess.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:16 am

So Callinan, Crimmins, Border are atrocious. Can we please see more McClary and Nat Dixon? Maybe some Troy Flutie at WR? It would make our offense so much more potent if we could catch the ball.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:42 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Get some, kids

Just being a dude I guess.

I believe that as much as the snowballs that were thrown at the domer bench
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:46 am

Needless to say Tyler Murphy made the difference in key plays as he accounted for almost 200 yards in big plays and BC rolled up over 400 yards on the ground. But the pass receiving is horrible and every team that scouts us will take note. Passes that hit your chest and hands need to be caught and I'd say the receivers need to stay out longer on the practice field as punishment.

IMO USC is the better team but BC played great last night and got big breaks to win also. Kessler also had some drops too by his receivers that made the difference. One more TD and PAT, USC wins the game. The stars were aligned right last night at Alumni Stadium. The D made enough stops when they needed too and great game down to the wire. I was sweating bullets on the onside kick on the end and felt relieved when BC recovered the ball and moved it deep into USC territory.

Agreed, I was sitting in the endzone and USC was getting away with a lot of uncalled penalties by the refs. I have seen some nice upsets at Alumni, I think the upset over Texas in the 70s ranks as #1 for me, 14-13 over a vaunted Longhorn team and the wins at Foxboro over Bama and Penn State were nice too.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:49 am

Fantastic win and environment.

452 rushing yards is incredible
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:03 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Fantastic win and environment.

452 rushing yards is incredible

Especially when the offense only had about 53 yards in the air and some key drops by receivers.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:46 am

One thing I didn't understand ???? Why didn't he run another play to get the ball closer for the FG try ??? 19 seconds left and only 3rd down before the 1st half ended
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:54 am

Questionable clock management, agreed. Didn't trust Murphy to not take a sack?

BTW how valuable was Freese last year? Every kick is a fucking adventure this year
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HustlinOwl on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:56 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:And to think Hansen was not there because the team was not good enough to warrant his presence. Stay home next week too.

It's either that or the fact that I live 7,500 miles away from Boston.
I'll let you figure out which one.

Shortly after I discovered HBO, I heard about these things called airplanes that can get you anywhere in the world in 24 hours. It's still hard to fathom.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby plcatalano on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:24 pm

Is there a box score anywhere with defensive stats?
plcatalano
n00b

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:10 pm

MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby plcatalano on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks Matteagle
plcatalano
n00b

Postby Mike_S on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Incredible win. Still can't believe what I saw. Kudos to coaching staff on both sides of the ball. Defense was amazing most of the game.

USC was super flat, mentally they never got off the plane, I think it was the worst OL performance i've ever seen from a USC team, big, fat and very slow. It's like their staff never scouted BC.

While watching the Pitt game and seeing 8 and 9-men in the box all game I was screaming at the TV for BC to pass the ball. When they did, the passes were often poor and/or the receivers dropped them.

In this one, USC mostly had 7 men in the box or sometimes 6 men, even on probable rushing downs. As BC was killing them with the ground game, I expected more adjustments -- to dare BC to win the game through the air. I didn't really notice any until late in the game when they brought their safeties up. And by then their D linemen was mostly gassed.

The BC staff deserves a ton of the credit for putting the team in position to execute and pull off the win. IMO Best schemed/coached game for BC since Jags, Logan, and Spaz still as DC vs. FSU in 2008.
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:47 pm

I didn't go back and read through this thread so I don't know if this had been touched on, but I was listening to ESPN on ride home after game and they kept bringing up the fact that USC is still hurt by sanctions, has 63 scholarship players but really only has 53 players active or whatever.

It's obviously just lazy ESPN bs, but spaz effectively did the same thing to this program by under recruiting (not only in talent but in pure numbers), which makes last night even more impressive.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:01 pm

Mike_S {l Wrote}:Incredible win. Still can't believe what I saw. Kudos to coaching staff on both sides of the ball. Defense was amazing most of the game.

While watching the Pitt game and seeing 8 and 9-men in the box all game I was screaming at the TV for BC to pass the ball. When they did, the passes were often poor and/or the receivers dropped them.

In this one, USC mostly had 7 men in the box or sometimes 6 men, even on probable rushing downs. As BC was killing them with the ground game, I expected more adjustments -- to dare BC to win the game through the air. I didn't really notice any until late in the game when they brought their safeties up. And by then their D linemen was mostly gassed.

The BC staff deserves a ton of the credit for putting the team in position to execute and pull off the win. IMO Best schemed/coached game for BC since Jags, Logan, and Spaz still as DC vs. FSU in 2008.

It's been a long time since I've seen BC put so much pressure on the QB and BC seemed to be a better conditioned team than USC. RBs and Murphy were a lot more evasive than first two games
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:03 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I didn't go back and read through this thread so I don't know if this had been touched on, but I was listening to ESPN on ride home after game and they kept bringing up the fact that USC is still hurt by sanctions, has 63 scholarship players but really only has 53 players active or whatever.

It's obviously just lazy ESPN bs, but spaz effectively did the same thing to this program by under recruiting (not only in talent but in pure numbers), which makes last night even more impressive.

Exactly. Despite the sanctions, USC still has the better roster. They were simply out coached and BC clearly had the emotional edge. I just hope USC can get it together and not get rocket shipped in their other games. I want that victory to hold up, but USC was not very impressive last night. If USC continues to play like that, they will be lucky to get bowl eligible.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Did anyone witness USC dancing in front of BCs enterance right before the game? I didn't witness it but was told by numerous people in the section that it was really thuggish.

Thoughts? Really stupid from USC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Did anyone witness USC dancing in front of BCs enterance right before the game? I didn't witness it but was told by numerous people in the section that it was really thuggish.

Yes, I saw that. Very "U"-like. The refs had to push the players back and force them down the sideline...

And then they got out rushed 452 to 20. Oops.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Did anyone witness USC dancing in front of BCs enterance right before the game? I didn't witness it but was told by numerous people in the section that it was really thuggish.

Yes, they came out first and the all gathered as close to the tunnel as they could to taunt our team. Then rent a cop security and USC coaches were able to push them back. BC players had no idea since they couldn't see beyond the big BC banner they come through. In the end they got moved back and BC was late to come out so mission failed by the USC thugs.

USC was foolishly cocky last night. They were dancing on the field in the 4th quarter to the music being played while losing to BC by I think 13 at that point. Reminded me of VT a few years ago when herbstreit laid into them for the same thing.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Spoiled entitled 4* gonna Spoiled entitled 4*.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:27 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

Yes, they came out first and the all gathered as close to the tunnel as they could to taunt our team. Then rent a cop security and USC coaches were able to push them back. BC players had no idea since they couldn't see beyond the big BC banner they come through. In the end they got moved back and BC was late to come out so mission failed by the USC thugs.

USC was foolishly cocky last night. They were dancing on the field in the 4th quarter to the music being played while losing to BC by I think 13 at that point. Reminded me of VT a few years ago when herbstreit laid into them for the same thing.

I think Herbsteit and his ridiculous comments about BC on Saturday might take the cake
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:30 pm

yeah sc did that thug garbage, just like when fsu comes up here

herbstreit was a fucking moron on saturday, fowler wanted to challenge him on it but didn't.
@CadetandEagle: @ChrisMCameron teams with "field hockey marks" tend to pull off shockers”

herbstreit's response: I kid. That's the old field I know. Congrats.

no
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:22 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

What I found surprising was the USC coaches didn't come down the field to get their thugs in line.

If they hadn't been moved back they all would have shit their pants when the two towers by the entrance exploded with fireworks and shot flames into the sky.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:01 pm

6 min to go in 3rd on espnu
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John