Patriots Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Patriots Weirdos

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Can someone please confirm whether coverage of the game had ended at 10:10 PM last night? This is important for me to know how much psychological damage I've inflicted.

the clock hit 0:00 at 10:06/10:07

so you've inflicted considerable amount of psychological damage

I'm looking forward to the shitty analogy for Bad-Playcalling-Gate.

Well, it's gonna cost the OC the chance to ever be a head coach, so you've got that.

Worst play call in the history of football

It's a walk in TD if Butler doesn't read the formation and predict the play. He comes from nowhere and goes around the pick and beats the WR to the ball. Bet that play works 9 out of 10 times.

I'd have run it too, but the hindsight on that is a joke.

That's pretty much my feeling, too. Hell of a play by Butler, its not the dumbest call ever, but still curious why you don't give it to the guy who semmingly never gets stopped behind the line.

As someone who doesn't really have any feelings toward either team (OK, I like it when Boston sports fans are sad I guess), I was very pleased with the game overall. The ending had everything including a fight.

good stuff last night.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:41 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:That throw was incredibly stupid. Amazing that they would get away from the read option that their offense is built around. The INT was an incredible play but even if it wasn't a clean pick, it easily could have been tipped up as you see all the time with quick slants (screw you, Brian St. Pierre). Nice to see other fan bases tortured.

Another excuse offered by Carroll that made no sense... he claimed that the Pats put in their goalline package and they were still in their 3 WR set. His point being that running it out of those packages wasn't a good match-up (where as passing was). Again... overthinking it. That said, why the hell did you let the Pats get their goalline in? you just ran the ball for 4 yards pretty easily. Get right back up on the LOS. It forces NE to call a time out or keeps the same package on the field. It's a simple situation where the coach wasn't prepared. A situation where he was over-thinking. Nonetheless, it was on Bevell to call a pass play that wasn't the riskiest throw possible. Bottom line, calling a short slant in that situation made as much sense as kicking a FG.

Carroll was visibly shaken and didn't seem to be thinking straight after the game. That outcome probably took a year or two off of his life. I actually feel bad for him. But Butler simply made an unbelievable play. As Brady said, it was a championship play.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:41 am

If you're going to do the short slant, you do it to the outside where the receiver can basically box out the CB, not over the middle of the field where the 5'10 QB has to find the perfect throwing angle.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:43 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

edit: Questioning the final play call isn't hindsight. you have 3 plays to get 1 yard. stop over thinking it.

I agree that you probably give it to Lynch, but one commentator mentioned that Lynch had 5 carries from the 1-yard line this year and only scored once.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:44 am

Also, Carroll saved Belichick from being a big goat.

Not calling timeouts there was inexcusable. I don't buy any of the "we were in the defensive formation we wanted to be". you play the stats there. i'd also argue it was so obvious that belichick wouldn't have caught much/any flak had he called a time out and let them score so brady got the ball back w 50 seconds and a timeout to drive into FG range
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:46 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Also, Carroll saved Belichick from being a big goat.

Not calling timeouts there was inexcusable. I don't buy any of the "we were in the defensive formation we wanted to be". you play the stats there. i'd also argue it was so obvious that belichick wouldn't have caught much/any flak had he called a time out and let them score so brady got the ball back w 50 seconds and a timeout to drive into FG range

Agreed. Not calling a timeout there was Spaziani-esque. Insanely stupid.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:46 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

edit: Questioning the final play call isn't hindsight. you have 3 plays to get 1 yard. stop over thinking it.

I agree that you probably give it to Lynch, but one commentator mentioned that Lynch had 5 carries from the 1-yard line this year and only scored once.

zone read w Wilson 3x you're scoring there.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:47 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
And yes I did. I also had a bathroom break where this was perfect in passing the time.

#1 or #2?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:47 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That's a pretty insignificant sample size though. The Patriots' defense was gassed and just had their hearts ripped out after another improbable catch. You run it with Lynch and if he doesn't make it, you still have 2 more plays to get 1 yard.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:51 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:I like it when people can dish it out but can't take it. 9903 is like Richard Sherman without the talent or life accomplishments.

Serious question - Did you watch the game with anybody?

I'm trying to wrap my head around being a fan of a team, seeing them reach the pinnacle of success for the first time in a decade and one of my first thoughts being "Great! Now I need to run to my computer to call out an anonymous message board poster!"

I won't speak for the people that did this, as I didn't even think of logging on until 2 hours after, but it's probably the same type of thinking that leads to a Philly or Raiders fan spending two weeks thinking he is annoying the fans of a team that is playing in a game his team will never win.

Totally different...you of all people should know about being bored in the office.

Fair.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:52 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:I like it when people can dish it out but can't take it. 9903 is like Richard Sherman without the talent or life accomplishments.

I'm trying to wrap my head around being a fan of a team, seeing them reach the pinnacle of success for the first time in a decade and one of my first thoughts being "Great! Now I need to run to my computer to call out an anonymous message board poster!"

I won't speak for the people that did this, as I didn't even think of logging on until 2 hours after, but it's probably the same type of thinking that leads to a Philly or Raiders fan spending two weeks thinking he is annoying the fans of a team that is playing in a game his team will never win.

Totally different...you of all people should know about being bored in the office.

hell, he was bored two hours after the game last night (most likely not as bored as tedwardita whom I'd sent home already at that point).

That's a better effort, Odio.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:53 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
And yes I did. I also had a bathroom break where this was perfect in passing the time.

#1 or #2?

beating it.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:57 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:If you're going to do the short slant, you do it to the outside where the receiver can basically box out the CB, not over the middle of the field where the 5'10 QB has to find the perfect throwing angle.

Pats ran that exact play to Gronk in the Ravens game. Nothing wrong with the call.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:59 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Also, Carroll saved Belichick from being a big goat.

Agreed. Not calling a timeout there was Spaziani-esque. Insanely stupid.

Thirded, although it ended up working to their benefit because it looked like the Hawks expected a Pats TO after the Lynch run. I think you have to anticipate the score there, but the Hawks threw because they were working with one TO and wanted to save it so they could run on third and fourth down.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:01 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

That's a pretty insignificant sample size though. The Patriots' defense was gassed and just had their hearts ripped out after another improbable catch. You run it with Lynch and if he doesn't make it, you still have 2 more plays to get 1 yard.

Still don't think you get three runs off with only one TO, at least not after they failed to rush to the line after the Lynch run.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:If you're going to do the short slant, you do it to the outside where the receiver can basically box out the CB, not over the middle of the field where the 5'10 QB has to find the perfect throwing angle.

Pats ran that exact play to Gronk in the Ravens game. Nothing wrong with the call.

its a fine play call to dez bryant. demariyus thomas. rob gronkowski.

not a fine play call to whoever the hell that was
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:20 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You forgot Braylon Edwards.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:22 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

hell, he was bored two hours after the game last night (most likely not as bored as tedwardita whom I'd sent home already at that point).

Do you really think that any sane coach would call a slant on the one yard line rather than handing it off to the best running back in the NFL? Let's face it, the fix was in. This is so obvious, Robert Kraft had Pete Carroll call that play, plain and simple.

And BTW, do you really think that Brady could throw for 300 yds and 4 TDs against the best defense since the 85 bears? Do you think Brady could go 15 for 15 in the 4th quarter with 2 TDs if Seattle's D weren't in on it as well? Face it, Kraft controls the NFL. This was the only outcome that was going to happen.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You forgot Braylon Edwards.

nah, if Marty Mornhinweg was in charge they would've dialed this puppy up

https://twitter.com/TurnOnTheJets/statu ... 2451190784
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:33 pm

also speaking of the offseason now, let me be the first to say i am going to be very disappointed when the jets way overpay for mccourty
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:36 pm

McCourty is worth the cash at FS. He's not Earl Thomas, but he is in the next tier. But the Pats won't pay him, even though they can.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:38 pm

Wonder if Wilfork will retire. He was not very good this season.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:McCourty is worth the cash at FS. He's not Earl Thomas, but he is in the next tier. But the Pats won't pay him, even though they can.

i will say it'd be kind of funny if mccourty ended up w the jets and revis ended up w the pats...seeing as a few years ago pats fans were saying mccourty is better than revis. id be intrigued if jets mongos started trying the same argument.

that said i think revis is going to take a godfather offer from buffalo to be reunited w rex. and because rex will talk his owner / gm into spending 15-16 mil on a CB
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:46 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Wonder if Wilfork will retire. He was not very good this season.

Agree he wasn't great, but it was the first year off of an achilles tear. He just signed a three year deal, I bet he plays to the end of it (although it is certain to be renegotiated).
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:47 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:McCourty is worth the cash at FS. He's not Earl Thomas, but he is in the next tier. But the Pats won't pay him, even though they can.

i will say it'd be kind of funny if mccourty ended up w the jets and revis ended up w the pats...seeing as a few years ago pats fans were saying mccourty is better than revis. id be intrigued if jets mongos started trying the same argument.

that said i think revis is going to take a godfather offer from buffalo to be reunited w rex. and because rex will talk his owner / gm into spending 15-16 mil on a CB

I think the Pats will exercise the option if they can't work out a deal. With Revis, this team isn't much different next season.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

I think the Pats will exercise the option if they can't work out a deal. With Revis, this team isn't much different next season.

20 mil for a season and 25 mil cap charge when no corner has ever made more that 16?

zero shot they ever do that
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:59 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

20 mil for a season and 25 mil cap charge when no corner has ever made more that 16?

You exercise the option then renegotiate.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:02 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

makes sense...revis is very well known for being an easy negotiator for teams
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:05 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Yeah, the rumblings have been that the option will be exercised. They will take their chances. He's not going anywhere, that's just people hoping. McCourty is probably gone, and there may be a battle with Gostkowski
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Source is Rappaport. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000463717/article/will-patriots-pay-darrelle-revis-20m-option

He doesn't say where he's getting it from. But it doesn't surprise me at all.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium