2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby hansen on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:just to throw some more fuel on the fire, UConn has 7 players committed right now with other BCS offers to our 6.

well durr, they've surpassed us and they're the best team in new england now... :81
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:01 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
joesim {l Wrote}:What's the defense recruits article on EA say?

-they only have 3-4 more schollies(this is inexcusably retarded if true);
-they would still take Hurst (in the .0001% chance he'd flip) and Montgomery if they wanted to commit;
-since the above is not at all likely, they will look at Kevin Maurice and Donnie White;
-they may be involved with a linebacker from Virginia named Oren Burks;
-they have not offered a linebacker named Al-Rasheed Benton (there must have been information they had elsewhere);
-they are not recruiting any more DBs.

Basically we have no chance with any defensive recruits except maybe Maurice and White, also we will continue to bank schollies for no good reason.

silly intern, we're saving them for all the ped state transfers we are getting...

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:18 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
joesim {l Wrote}:What's the defense recruits article on EA say?

-they only have 3-4 more schollies(this is inexcusably retarded if true);
-they would still take Hurst (in the .0001% chance he'd flip) and Montgomery if they wanted to commit;
-since the above is not at all likely, they will look at Kevin Maurice and Donnie White;
-they may be involved with a linebacker from Virginia named Oren Burks;
-they have not offered a linebacker named Al-Rasheed Benton (there must have been information they had elsewhere);
-they are not recruiting any more DBs.

Basically we have no chance with any defensive recruits except maybe Maurice and White, also we will continue to bank schollies for no good reason.

silly intern, we're saving them for all the ped state transfers we are getting...

clearly you've never heard of due process
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Callinan is visiting this week, probably for the 1st scrimmage on Sat. I think BC has a good chance of landing him.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Callinan is visiting this week, probably for the 1st scrimmage on Sat. I think BC has a good chance of landing him.

He would be a very solid get and could end up at WR, TE, or even LB depending on how the rest of the class shakes out.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:28 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Callinan is visiting this week, probably for the 1st scrimmage on Sat. I think BC has a good chance of landing him.

He would be a very solid get and could end up at WR, TE, or even LB depending on how the rest of the class shakes out.

Totally agree. Callinan would be a huge get for this class. He would provide some insurance in case Isaacs flips late or could be used as a WR (ie Momah). Hopefully that would mean Barksdale could be used in a secondary role and still leave room for Taylor if he decides to commit.

Ive said before, I think we are in better shape than others suggest because of Giacone (I think the two of them are good friends). SPP has an elite 2014 RB (Jonathan Hillman, offers from BC, MD, MIA, MICH, NEB, OR, PEDst, RU) whom BC has offered (has gotten/will be getting a visit) and hopefully nabbing Giacone and Callinan in consecutive years would help the chances of getting him as well next year.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:59 pm

As long as he can run his routes, he can be a pretty good WR. Running a 4.55 at 6'4 is pretty good.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby joesim on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:50 am

joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby Ronc112 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 am

What I also find interesting is that they have him ranked higher than Isaacs for the state of Connecticut (Coggins at #5 and Issacs at #6).
Ronc112
n00b

Postby 31southst on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:57 am

Comparing ESPN's ranking of our class to Scout's is why I think other offers is the best way to view recruits.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Ronc112 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:13 am

Considering all relevant data is what I think is the best way to evaluate recruits.
Ronc112
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:18 am

Ronc112 {l Wrote}:Considering all relevant data is what I think is the best way to evaluate recruits.

You never replied to my response to your attack on other offers as best metric of class quality.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Ronc112 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:44 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Ronc112 {l Wrote}:Considering all relevant data is what I think is the best way to evaluate recruits.

You never replied to my response to your attack on other offers as best metric of class quality.

I didn't think I needed to since it was you who stated: "I don't discount the idea that as BCS schools strike out on their A and B list offers they offer additional players and therefore there are more players with BCS offers in December and January than in July, that's true."

My point, which is what you seemed to agree with, was that offers, while obviously great, should not be the sole metric considered for recruits who commit in or before July. That's because historically at BC, whether its TOB, Jags, or Spaz, early commits generally have less, if any, offers. Considering the final star rating is more important when evaluating the early commits than the later ones because of this.

Basselope made a comment the other day that I think is applicable: "Actually a lot of kids get offers and are recruited after giving a verbal commitment. I am certain Rettig fits in that group. However If a kids is solid in his commitment, Rivals does not add those offers to the list because the kid doesn't even bother telling anyone and nobody knows about it. You only hear about it when the kid is not solid and still fishing for offers. "
Ronc112
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Ronc112 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I didn't think I needed to since it was you who stated: "I don't discount the idea that as BCS schools strike out on their A and B list offers they offer additional players and therefore there are more players with BCS offers in December and January than in July, that's true."

My point, which is what you seemed to agree with, was that offers, while obviously great, should not be the sole metric considered for recruits who commit in or before July. That's because historically at BC, whether its TOB, Jags, or Spaz, early commits generally have less, if any, offers. Considering the final star rating is more important when evaluating the early commits than the later ones because of this.

Basselope made a comment the other day that I think is applicable: "Actually a lot of kids get offers and are recruited after giving a verbal commitment. I am certain Rettig fits in that group. However If a kids is solid in his commitment, Rivals does not add those offers to the list because the kid doesn't even bother telling anyone and nobody knows about it. You only hear about it when the kid is not solid and still fishing for offers. "

I agree with the early commits having less offers phenomenon in the abstract, I fully disagree that the phenomenon is a significant factor in the context of 2012 and 2013 Boston College recruiting.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:16 am

BC ranked 8th in the ACC on 247 Sports, ahead of Syracuse and Pitt.

http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Footba ... erence=ACC
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Florida Saftety Neil Morrison tried to commit to BC but was reportedly turned down? held offers from Western Michigan and LA Lafayette.

He even visited Chestnut Hill and had been saying for awhile they were his top option
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:47 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Florida Saftety Neil Morrison tried to commit to BC but was reportedly turned down? held offers from Western Michigan and LA Lafayette.

He even visited Chestnut Hill and had been saying for awhile they were his top option

There's something more to this, likely academics.

Also, ATH Rachid Ibrahim is officially down to BC and Iowa and will likely decide soon.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby erichroberts23 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:46 pm

I talked to Neil Morrison and he let me know right away. He told me that they said all the spots are filled up which is bull because 1.) we have visitor coming the 11th and 2.) we only have 17 commitments that is not a lot after that diminutive 2012 class that we had. I just signed up today but I often read a lot of you guys posts on here. Someone broke down the rest of the commitments the way that I would. BC is definitely taking 1 or 2 more running back commits. They are accepting at least 1 defensive tackle and if Tevin Montgomery chooses BC then we are receiving two more defensive tackle commits. I think what they were telling him is that we are not receiving another commitment from a safety unless it happens to be Calvert Hall Safety Delando Johnson I am pretty sure they would not turn him down. I may be new on here but I have to say one thing that seems to be to the contrary to what most of you on here believe and I think that this is a very very good and underrated 2013 class. When is the last time we received commitments from wide receivers that are as good as David Coggins and Dan Monteroso. With new OC Martin here it looks like we put more emphasize on the offensive skill positions. Now add either Brian Lemelle, Charles Callinan, Malique Belfort or Dionte Taylor to this class and I believe we scooped up 3 very good receivers and we get Marcus Grant back next year. I have to meet you guys and keep these short but wanted to introduce my self. My name is Erich Roberts and I live in Haverhill,Ma. I spend so much time covering recruits nation wide I could talk all day but I am excited to see what all of you post and we pretty much have to share the news amongst us because 247sports has a garbage Boston College recruiting section and it takes them forever to update anything. Scout has never even mentioned Jack Cotrell as one of our commits and he was what our second commit. So yeah really look forward to seeing a lot of news on here
erichroberts23
n00b

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:53 pm

There is some good info on this site but you have zone out a lot of nonsense posts. It's like the wild west of BC boards. Glad to have you aboard, Eric. :banana :cheer :banana
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:31 pm

erichroberts23 {l Wrote}:I talked to Neil Morrison and he let me know right away. He told me that they said all the spots are filled up which is bull because 1.) we have visitor coming the 11th and 2.) we only have 17 commitments that is not a lot after that diminutive 2012 class that we had. I just signed up today but I often read a lot of you guys posts on here. Someone broke down the rest of the commitments the way that I would. BC is definitely taking 1 or 2 more running back commits. They are accepting at least 1 defensive tackle and if Tevin Montgomery chooses BC then we are receiving two more defensive tackle commits. I think what they were telling him is that we are not receiving another commitment from a safety unless it happens to be Calvert Hall Safety Delando Johnson I am pretty sure they would not turn him down. I may be new on here but I have to say one thing that seems to be to the contrary to what most of you on here believe and I think that this is a very very good and underrated 2013 class. When is the last time we received commitments from wide receivers that are as good as David Coggins and Dan Monteroso. With new OC Martin here it looks like we put more emphasize on the offensive skill positions. Now add either Brian Lemelle, Charles Callinan, Malique Belfort or Dionte Taylor to this class and I believe we scooped up 3 very good receivers and we get Marcus Grant back next year. I have to meet you guys and keep these short but wanted to introduce my self. My name is Erich Roberts and I live in Haverhill,Ma. I spend so much time covering recruits nation wide I could talk all day but I am excited to see what all of you post and we pretty much have to share the news amongst us because 247sports has a garbage Boston College recruiting section and it takes them forever to update anything. Scout has never even mentioned Jack Cotrell as one of our commits and he was what our second commit. So yeah really look forward to seeing a lot of news on here

Erich welcome aboard. Just curious, in what capacity did you speak to Morrison (twitter, email, etc) and did he sound as if there was any hope in the future or has the BC boat totally sailed? His whole situation seems really strange to me as it appeared he wanted to commit a long time ago. The academic issue was floated as a restriction at the time, and then they went and took Johnson for one of the safety spots, despite apparently being REALLY high on Morrison very early in the recruiting cycle.

If you seem to think that Delando Johnson has a spot if he commits, would that be a spot specifically reserved for another DB (ie Morrison being a backup to Delando Johnson)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:There is some good info on this site but you have zone out a lot of nonsense posts. It's like the wild west of BC boards. Glad to have you aboard, Eric. :banana :cheer :banana

I still maintain that despite the nonsensical posts (of which I contribute many), EO's roster of recruiting weirdos (bceagles24, 31southst, etc.) scoops the other "premium" sites 95% of the time. i attribute that partly to the fact that EI and EA blow donkey balls but mostly because our guys are that good. :kudos

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 pm

erichroberts23 {l Wrote}:When is the last time we received commitments from wide receivers that are as good as David Coggins and Dan Monteroso.

Glad to have you aboard. Not to ruin your optimism but off the top of my head Spiffy Evans, Bobby Swigert, Shakim Phillips, and Colin Larmond were all way more highly regarded recruits than these guys. Coggins and Monteroso are solid enough and look better when compared to other parts of this class, but it's not let's not make them out to be more than they are.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby joesim on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:26 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
joeyfenn {l Wrote}:Florida Saftety Neil Morrison tried to commit to BC but was reportedly turned down? held offers from Western Michigan and LA Lafayette.

There's something more to this, likely academics.

Also, ATH Rachid Ibrahim is officially down to BC and Iowa and will likely decide soon.

Kinda hope he chooses Iowa because I'd rather have Fred Coppett
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby erichroberts23 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:44 am

I honestly do not get caught up with what a recruits ranking is or whether or not they have other BCS offers I go with what my eyes tell me and I depend on my knowledge of the game of football. My point and excitement is towards the fact we got 2 real good wide receivers in David Coggins and Dan Monteroso you might not know about them but they are legit.David Coggins was a army all-american as a sophomore and well on his way to a 4star and 20 offers until he got hurt last year. But still I am surprised that once he got healthy that he was not swarmed with offers but it is our gain. Coggins participated in a lot of camps and combines and he won WR MVP at a few of them. Monteroso has it all, He has speed, good hands, forty inch vertical jump and most importantly he runs a lot better routes than Larmond so you will see a lot more separation between Monteroso and the CB then you do with Larmond. With Isaacs all I have to say is I just hope he stays committed but I have heard things look a lot better since Boyle and Coggins committed. I will not get into last yrs class but Dan Crimmins is a diamond in the rough. To big for db's and he is way too fast and athletic for a defense to treat him like a TE. Brian Miller will live up to the 4star and 50offers he received. Then after he sits out a yr we get Marcus Grant for 2 to 3yrs so who is not happy about the way our offense is looking. I just can not remember the last time we devoted so many commits to the offense in a recruitment class. We got 2 very good quarterbacks, 2 wide receivers(cause I can not categorize Drew Barksdale as good or elite) Tight end Andrew Isaacs and ATH Myles Willis. Also, I have stated this but I have read it too under several sites that Leshun Daniels went under the radar and will be better than his ranking projects. You said I believe that Colin Larmond, Bobby Sweigart and Spiffy Evans were way better. All three of those receivers were 3star wide receivers when recruiting ended. Coggins and Monteroso are already 3star wide receivers but rankings do not mean squat so I will end it there. However, you left out that we did not get Larmond, Sweigart and Evans all in one recruiting class. Larmond was part of the 2008 class, Bobby was the class of 2010 and Spiffy was the class of 2011 and he was a last second de-commit that know one seen coming. Anyways Boston College does not have good luck with the four star recruits; Offensive lineman omitted. Shakim Phillips, Dillon Quinn has not lived up to it yet but I think he is too big, strong and athletic to just flame out the way he has. Josh Haden he was almost board of line 5star and he lost his job to one of BC's all time greats 2star Montel Harris. Bj Raji was a a 2star, Robert Francois was a 2star along with Ron Brace, Anthony Castonzo and a whole lot more of BC players that went on to play in the NFL. I can see the frustration Spazzy drives me as nuts as the next guy for example turning down Neil Morrison. Since we joined the ACC in 2005, we have won the Atlantic division 3 times and have been to 2 conference championships so I think it is sort of funny that Florida State, Clemson, UNC and Miami recruit almost all 4star players with a few 5star recruits sprinkled in their and I can say with a straight face because the proof is in the pudding that since we joined the ACC the only team that has been better than us in the ACC is Virginia Tech. I apologize to all for another novel but my passion for recruiting mixed with so many different factors I will not get into it now cause I can write all day it got me blabbing. I promise to keep all the rest of my posts under this thread strickly to breaking news regarding BC recruiting or finding out info to all of you out their. Thanks for the warm welcome I appreciate it. sorry sorry sorry for the novel. I have a big mouth and when i talk BC or sports I talk through my typing
erichroberts23
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:52 am

erichroberts23 {l Wrote}:I honestly do not get caught up with what a recruits ranking is or whether or not they have other BCS offers I go with what my eyes tell me and I depend on my knowledge of the game of football. My point and excitement is towards the fact we got 2 real good wide receivers in David Coggins and Dan Monteroso you might not know about them but they are legit.David Coggins was a army all-american as a sophomore and well on his way to a 4star and 20 offers until he got hurt last year. But still I am surprised that once he got healthy that he was not swarmed with offers but it is our gain. Coggins participated in a lot of camps and combines and he won WR MVP at a few of them. Monteroso has it all, He has speed, good hands, forty inch vertical jump and most importantly he runs a lot better routes than Larmond so you will see a lot more separation between Monteroso and the CB then you do with Larmond. With Isaacs all I have to say is I just hope he stays committed but I have heard things look a lot better since Boyle and Coggins committed. I will not get into last yrs class but Dan Crimmins is a diamond in the rough. To big for db's and he is way too fast and athletic for a defense to treat him like a TE. Brian Miller will live up to the 4star and 50offers he received. Then after he sits out a yr we get Marcus Grant for 2 to 3yrs so who is not happy about the way our offense is looking. I just can not remember the last time we devoted so many commits to the offense in a recruitment class. We got 2 very good quarterbacks, 2 wide receivers(cause I can not categorize Drew Barksdale as good or elite) Tight end Andrew Isaacs and ATH Myles Willis. Also, I have stated this but I have read it too under several sites that Leshun Daniels went under the radar and will be better than his ranking projects. You said I believe that Colin Larmond, Bobby Sweigart and Spiffy Evans were way better. All three of those receivers were 3star wide receivers when recruiting ended. Coggins and Monteroso are already 3star wide receivers but rankings do not mean squat so I will end it there. However, you left out that we did not get Larmond, Sweigart and Evans all in one recruiting class. Larmond was part of the 2008 class, Bobby was the class of 2010 and Spiffy was the class of 2011 and he was a last second de-commit that know one seen coming. Anyways Boston College does not have good luck with the four star recruits; Offensive lineman omitted. Shakim Phillips, Dillon Quinn has not lived up to it yet but I think he is too big, strong and athletic to just flame out the way he has. Josh Haden he was almost board of line 5star and he lost his job to one of BC's all time greats 2star Montel Harris. Bj Raji was a a 2star, Robert Francois was a 2star along with Ron Brace, Anthony Castonzo and a whole lot more of BC players that went on to play in the NFL. I can see the frustration Spazzy drives me as nuts as the next guy for example turning down Neil Morrison. Since we joined the ACC in 2005, we have won the Atlantic division 3 times and have been to 2 conference championships so I think it is sort of funny that Florida State, Clemson, UNC and Miami recruit almost all 4star players with a few 5star recruits sprinkled in their and I can say with a straight face because the proof is in the pudding that since we joined the ACC the only team that has been better than us in the ACC is Virginia Tech. I apologize to all for another novel but my passion for recruiting mixed with so many different factors I will not get into it now cause I can write all day it got me blabbing. I promise to keep all the rest of my posts under this thread strickly to breaking news regarding BC recruiting or finding out info to all of you out their. Thanks for the warm welcome I appreciate it. sorry sorry sorry for the novel. I have a big mouth and when i talk BC or sports I talk through my typing

Are you a Mike Farrell Bot?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:40 am

erichroberts23 {l Wrote}:I honestly do not get caught up with what a recruits ranking is or whether or not they have other BCS offers I go with what my eyes tell me and I depend on my knowledge of the game of football. My point and excitement is towards the fact we got 2 real good wide receivers in David Coggins and Dan Monteroso you might not know about them but they are legit.David Coggins was a army all-american as a sophomore and well on his way to a 4star and 20 offers until he got hurt last year. But still I am surprised that once he got healthy that he was not swarmed with offers but it is our gain. Coggins participated in a lot of camps and combines and he won WR MVP at a few of them. Monteroso has it all, He has speed, good hands, forty inch vertical jump and most importantly he runs a lot better routes than Larmond so you will see a lot more separation between Monteroso and the CB then you do with Larmond. With Isaacs all I have to say is I just hope he stays committed but I have heard things look a lot better since Boyle and Coggins committed. I will not get into last yrs class but Dan Crimmins is a diamond in the rough. To big for db's and he is way too fast and athletic for a defense to treat him like a TE. Brian Miller will live up to the 4star and 50offers he received. Then after he sits out a yr we get Marcus Grant for 2 to 3yrs so who is not happy about the way our offense is looking. I just can not remember the last time we devoted so many commits to the offense in a recruitment class. We got 2 very good quarterbacks, 2 wide receivers(cause I can not categorize Drew Barksdale as good or elite) Tight end Andrew Isaacs and ATH Myles Willis. Also, I have stated this but I have read it too under several sites that Leshun Daniels went under the radar and will be better than his ranking projects. You said I believe that Colin Larmond, Bobby Sweigart and Spiffy Evans were way better. All three of those receivers were 3star wide receivers when recruiting ended. Coggins and Monteroso are already 3star wide receivers but rankings do not mean squat so I will end it there. However, you left out that we did not get Larmond, Sweigart and Evans all in one recruiting class. Larmond was part of the 2008 class, Bobby was the class of 2010 and Spiffy was the class of 2011 and he was a last second de-commit that know one seen coming. Anyways Boston College does not have good luck with the four star recruits; Offensive lineman omitted. Shakim Phillips, Dillon Quinn has not lived up to it yet but I think he is too big, strong and athletic to just flame out the way he has. Josh Haden he was almost board of line 5star and he lost his job to one of BC's all time greats 2star Montel Harris. Bj Raji was a a 2star, Robert Francois was a 2star along with Ron Brace, Anthony Castonzo and a whole lot more of BC players that went on to play in the NFL. I can see the frustration Spazzy drives me as nuts as the next guy for example turning down Neil Morrison. Since we joined the ACC in 2005, we have won the Atlantic division 3 times and have been to 2 conference championships so I think it is sort of funny that Florida State, Clemson, UNC and Miami recruit almost all 4star players with a few 5star recruits sprinkled in their and I can say with a straight face because the proof is in the pudding that since we joined the ACC the only team that has been better than us in the ACC is Virginia Tech. I apologize to all for another novel but my passion for recruiting mixed with so many different factors I will not get into it now cause I can write all day it got me blabbing. I promise to keep all the rest of my posts under this thread strickly to breaking news regarding BC recruiting or finding out info to all of you out their. Thanks for the warm welcome I appreciate it. sorry sorry sorry for the novel. I have a big mouth and when i talk BC or sports I talk through my typing

Kool-Aid or not, I appreciate the emotion.

For me, recruiting is a function of scouting and luck. Traditionally, BC has scouted (identifying players that fit our schemes) very well. That's how you can run off a litany of 2 star guys who made significant impacts, and 3 stars who played at 5 star level. That notwithstanding, I'm generally alarmed by the number of players in this class that have exceptionally weak offers (disclaimer: I'm basing this on Rivals/Scout, since I don't go through their mail). I just don't love the odds of developing so many borderline guys into a full, productive class. I hope I'm proven wrong.

I am also mindful that every class at BC is going to have projects/"upside" guys who may not have produced very much in HS. Sometimes they pan out big time (Kiwi, Claiborne) sometimes they fizzle (Shinskie, Mike Stone). I'd love to see us get someone who fits this description. If you think someone is a candidate, pass along the name.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 am

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/103/boston-college

ESPN updated their rankings - Milano got 3 stars, Rich, Ntantang, and Johnson all got 2. Drew Barksdale is the only guy they haven't ranked yet. I said this before but if you get excited by ESPN giving our class decent grades, look at Scout's rankings and it will balance it out (EA is somewhere in the middle).
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 am

Apparently Neil Morrison was going to commit to BC yesterday but was told there was no more room for him.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:34 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

Kool-Aid or not, I appreciate the emotion.

For me, recruiting is a function of scouting and luck. Traditionally, BC has scouted (identifying players that fit our schemes) very well. That's how you can run off a litany of 2 star guys who made significant impacts, and 3 stars who played at 5 star level. That notwithstanding, I'm generally alarmed by the number of players in this class that have exceptionally weak offers (disclaimer: I'm basing this on Rivals/Scout, since I don't go through their mail). I just don't love the odds of developing so many borderline guys into a full, productive class. I hope I'm proven wrong.

I am also mindful that every class at BC is going to have projects/"upside" guys who may not have produced very much in HS. Sometimes they pan out big time (Kiwi, Claiborne) sometimes they fizzle (Shinskie, Mike Stone). I'd love to see us get someone who fits this description. If you think someone is a candidate, pass along the name.

Going back through the 2 star players of the last decade maybe 6 are what I would describe as impact players (Silva, Raji, Castanzo, Harris, Davis and Bowman - last two are generous), there are a surprisingly low number of flat out busts through the TOB years, but Jags has a bunch and several of Spaz's two stars are trending that way (Marsco, Shinskie, O'neal, Coleman, Bourne, Davis, Sinkovec, Kramer, Rudolph from the classes far enough in to have any idea). Mostly though 2 stars seems to be about what I would expect. Of the 1/2 to 2/3 that aren't busts, most of them (who were recruited early enough for this to play out) are backups or weaker starters (Dominick LeGrande, DeLeon Gause, Brad Neuman, Bill Flutie, Justin Jarvis, Jim Ramella, Nick Rossi, Brady Smith, Cliff Ramsey, John Wetzel). Having a couple of Brad Neumans and Nick Rossis is good but a whole team of them is Duke or Indiana.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:44 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Apparently Neil Morrison was going to commit to BC yesterday but was told there was no more room for him.

This sucks. He was someone the staff ID'd early and looked really good on tape. Hopefully the door isn't totally shut on him as recruiting is obv a very fluid situation(as we saw late last year and will inevitably see again when spaz "has health issues").
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium