2016 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016 Recruiting Thread

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:27 am

If there is a modicum of truth to this, it shows how incredibly smalltime BC really is. It is one thing to bend the rules for a worldwide celebrity's kid (like Phil Simms, Bon Jovi, Puff Daddy or the UFC guy), but to provide red carpet treatment to Massholes who are BSD in Brighton Courthouse is fucking clownshoes,[/quote]

Memo from the real world: undeserving people often get advantages they don't deserve. Even at a place that tends (to my view) to be pretty egalitarian, like BC.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:31 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:The relationship between the bletzers and BC is being minimized here. The family at BC's request has taken care of BC athletes in legal trouble for over 20 years. He has not charged most of these kids. BC has been very greatful for many reasons, primarily because the Bletzers are able to handle a majority of these cases without anybody knowing. No media involvement. There are more cases than most would think given how we feel about BC. Not close to any factory schools but small stuff does go on. Please note I am not commenting on whether these two kids are worthy of football scholarships.

i have no idea as to the truth of this, but even if it were true (which i'll assume it is) here are the accolades from the Bletzer currently on the team:

Twice served as team co-captain ... captured 2013 Massachusetts High School Football Coaches Association All-State Super 26 recognition ... twice earned the team's most valuable player award and earned all-conference honors ... earned All-Conference Player of the Year honors as a senior ... earned Boston Herald and Boston Globe All-Scholastic honors as senior ... three-sport athlete at Catholic Memorial excelled on the lacrosse field and in the hockey rink; served as team captain in each ... registered 211 career tackles for loss and nine career interceptions.

three sport athlete/captain of three teams, all-state/all-conference accolades, MVP of the team. i'm not plugged into MA HS football but i assume even if Catholic Memorial is one of the worse teams that this guy is still a decent athlete and football player since he made all conference/all state teams. the folks on this board are acting as if his HS bio is wholly unremarkable.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:36 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:The relationship between the bletzers and BC is being minimized here. The family at BC's request has taken care of BC athletes in legal trouble for over 20 years. He has not charged most of these kids. BC has been very greatful for many reasons, primarily because the Bletzers are able to handle a majority of these cases without anybody knowing. No media involvement. There are more cases than most would think given how we feel about BC. Not close to any factory schools but small stuff does go on. Please note I am not commenting on whether these two kids are worthy of football scholarships.

If this is the case then it could well be worth it
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:42 am

Wait what? The judge patriarch hasn't been a judge since 1999, the two sons were ADAs 25 years ago. Since ~1999 if not 1990, it appears they have been private practitioners. How do criminal defense lawyers "not [charge] most of these kids"? Am I misreading, or over-reading.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:15 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Wait what? The judge patriarch hasn't been a judge since 1999, the two sons were ADAs 25 years ago. Since ~1999 if not 1990, it appears they have been private practitioners. How do criminal defense lawyers "not [charge] most of these kids"? Am I misreading, or over-reading.

I think he meant charge as in $$... which if you believe that it led to his two sons getting full rides to BC, was an incredible return on investment.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:15 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

That struck me as well. Maybe he can do this (representing them free of charge) as long as he is not a donor?
Last edited by DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:15 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I can't speak to the veracity of anything hingham is saying or the specifics of Mass courts. But, generally, a good LOCAL defense attorney can make a huge difference in the ultimate disposition of a case (including preventing charges).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:18 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I can't speak to the veracity of anything hingham is saying or the specifics of Mass courts. But, generally, a good LOCAL defense attorney can make a huge difference in the ultimate disposition of a case (including preventing charges).

I completely agree with that, but they cannot ultimately make the decision whether or not to charge. They can influence the person who does have that decision certainly.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:19 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think he meant charge as in $$... which if you believe that it led to his two sons getting full rides to BC, was an incredible return on investment.

No I continue to view it in the other way (are you happy now domingoortiz).
Last edited by eagle9903 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:21 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I completely agree with that, but they cannot ultimately make the decision whether or not to charge. They can influence the person who does have that decision certainly.

I figured when he wrote "he has not charged most of these kids" he meant that he did it for free or at a minimal cost... not that he made the decision not to criminally charge the individual with a crime.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:50 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

"So Chewbanca, you isth now free to shoot your guns and fly your ship...Case dismith!"
-One of the Beltzers, presumably,
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I figured when he wrote "he has not charged most of these kids" he meant that he did it for free or at a minimal cost... not that he made the decision not to criminally charge the individual with a crime.

I though that too, until you realize it is probably an NCAA violation to do work for athletes as a booster pro bono.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:10 pm

so what teddy is saying is that hingham likely got us in more trouble than mo'j did when he called max ricci fat
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:27 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so what teddy is saying is that hingham likely got us in more trouble than mo'j did when he called max ricci fat

Maybe so, which is why I did not want to be the first to point this out. Thanks eagle9903!
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby trackcoach on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Just saw on twitter Shane Leonard (OL) from Marshfield committed. Great 2 sport athlete.
trackcoach
n00b

Postby bc41irish39 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Brendan C. Hall ‏@BHallESPN · 2m2 minutes ago
Marshfield C Shane Leonard (@Sleonard66) just announced his commitment to @BCFootballNews. Total road grater -- ideal Addazio o-line recruit
bc41irish39
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:31 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so what teddy is saying is that hingham likely got us in more trouble than mo'j did when he called max ricci fat

Maybe so, which is why I did not want to be the first to point this out. Thanks eagle9903!

one of the many reasons we disbanded the internship program. hansen's inability to shut up was another
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:34 pm

trackcoach {l Wrote}:Just saw on twitter Shane Leonard (OL) from Marshfield committed. Great 2 sport athlete.

247 shows his as a commit. Listed at 6'2" 285lbs.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby L35guy on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Offers from Fordham, HC, Maine, Bryant, etc.............wow, what a coup...
L35guy
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:46 pm

As I posted yesterday....
HJS {l Wrote}:We shouldn't be surprised by the timing of this. August for Daz is like February for TOB. Daz is all about the season once it starts. Once December rolls around, he is all about the next class. The only recruiting his staff does during the season is to make sure that the verbals stay committed. The only new recruiting he'll do for the Class of 2016 is if there is a decommitment (either from BC or another program). I don't see Niang or anyone else of his level rounding out this class. We are in flyer mode from here on out.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:05 pm

If there's one position at which Daz deserves a long leash, it's OL. That said, not much beyond "trust the staff" to get excited about and it's not clear why this offer couldn't wait.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:10 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
trackcoach {l Wrote}:Just saw on twitter Shane Leonard (OL) from Marshfield committed. Great 2 sport athlete.

Did he camp?
So Daz could not wait on Niang and/or Alves and had not offer this kid NOW?
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby StratEagle on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:25 pm

StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby L35guy on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:35 pm

This class is trending towards having way too many "flyers", which is alarming considering this is Daz's 3rd year at the helm. If they're going to take "flyers", at least take the Barlow types who are raw and athletic instead of Bletzer types from MA. I'm not sure why this OL recruit would get an offer and they haven't offered Fish. Is there an issue with Fish's academics?
L35guy
Carney Hall

Postby L35guy on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Isn't this the same recruit that was trying to get Holyfield's kid and other ATL area kids to join him at BC not that long ago?
L35guy
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:57 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Did he camp?
So Daz could not wait on Niang and/or Alves and had not offer this kid NOW?

I hope if Niang or Alves want to commit they wouldn't be dumb enough to turn them away, both would instantly be at the top of this class in regards to offer lists.

I thought BC would offer Eddy Fish from Lawrence Academy if they were going to start taking late OL's.

Can anyone read the article on TOS ? Do they say anything about taking another OL like Niang (if he was to commit) or if Leonard could potentially play DT ? From a numbers perspective, it looks like BC will have 13 guys on scholarship listed at OL this season (including Austin Stevens who apparently was flipped from DT). 3 will leave following this season (Williams, Cashman and Bowen) and 3 are committed (Leonard, Kowalkoski and Ragan). If they were to accept 1 more OL commitment, is it unrealistic to think they can carry 14 OL on scholarship in 2016 ?
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby L35guy on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:18 pm

Cashman has one more year of eligibility after this year (RS JR this year)
L35guy
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:22 pm

L35guy {l Wrote}:Cashman has one more year of eligibility after this year (RS JR this year)

your right, i misread, that works even more against my argument that they would have room for another OL in this class
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby L35guy on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:27 pm

I'm sure someone will transfer out. Maybe Rich? Stevens? I'm sure they make room for Niang or Alves (who seems like a long shot)
L35guy
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:34 pm

This class is trending towards not very good quickly. It's like Spaz took over the recruiting reigns here the last few days.

If Daz shuts down recruiting in August, that's just flat out a stupid strategy as HJS suggests.

Daz's first class was a home run and not highly ranked but these last two classes have been decidedly meh.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium