Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby Logitano on Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:38 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:The Chryst firing may have been more related to the new AD trying to get out from under the shadow of Barry Alvarez and using the dip in Chryst's fortunes over the past two seasons as an excuse to remove a coach he did not like coming in.

Karl Dorrell should never have been hired in the first place. His tenure at UCLA was pathetic--the year he "won" the PAC-12 Coach of the Year Award in 2005 after a smoke and mirrors 9=0 start, UCLA lost to a 3-8 Arizona team something in the neighborhood of 56-14 if I remember correctly and then lost eleventy billion to 7 against USC. The whole thing was a joke. His "Coach of the Year" award in 2020 was entirely the product of having games against Texas A&M, Oregon and Arizona State cancelled and squeaking out wins over a historically bad Arizona team, the worst Stanford team since Buddy Teens, a UCLA team that had half its roster opt out during the Covid year and a home win against SDSU. When they played Utah they were strangled to death in a game that was never close and then got destroyed by a Texas team that had just fired its coach in the Alamo Bowl.

Have to say I enjoyed G-Tech running all over Pitt and the biggest prick in college football, Pat Narduzzi. Will be interesting g to see if they can keep it up and get the interim HC, who is a G-Tech lifer, the real gig.

Lastly, this weekend demonstrated why Kansas State took a pass on K-State alumni, Brett Venables, not once, but twice when the HC position in Manhattan was open.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:46 pm

Dorrell was a horrible hire. I know it has been 30 years since their glory days but Colorado should be better. Decent local talent. Willingness to take Jucos. Good alum support when things are going well.

I don't get the Wisconsin love for Leonard. He was part of the problem with Chryst. They decided to stop recruiting from the Alverez model of huge slow Midwest guys and wanted to go national...and fell flat on their face. I don't care how much money they have, Wisconsin is never going to fill their class with kids from Texas and Florida.
Last edited by ATLeagle on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:08 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:If you look at the guys having success being hired from Coordinator to head coach, without head coaching experience, you see a consistent factor - decent tenure at the Coordinator position:

Narduzzi - 12 years as a DC
Fickell - 11 years as DC
Aranda - 10 years as DC
Whittingham - 10 years as DC
K Smart - 8 years as DC
Sitake - 7 years as DC

even some of the good Group of 5 hires had 4-8 years as Coordinators.

Venables will be interesting to watch as he has 22 years as a Coordinator! It makes sense. More time making some mistakes, having to deal with weak talent cycles, managing staff, etc....before you get to be responsible for the whole

Dammit! I knew we should have hired Spaz
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:35 am

Matt Rhule is available to come back for a second round of cleaning up any residual mess left behind by Addazio. Sadly... DOCTOR Kraft will likely have the inside track at PedState.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:18 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Matt Rhule is available to come back for a second round of cleaning up any residual mess left behind by Addazio. Sadly... DOCTOR Kraft will likely have the inside track at PedState.

First he has to find someone to take his current coach off his hands. I’m guessing that if Rhule is going back to the college game instead of spending a year or two doing TV while continuing to cash David Report’s paychecks, that he may very well be on his way back to the Big 12 (for a year), to take over the flaming train wreck that is Brett Venables’ Oklahoma. Word on the street is that schools are swooping in on Oklahoma’s recruiting class and the major point is, the “defensive genius” coach is doing worse on defense than he is on offense.

Word is that Nebraska would overpay for Rhule, because they are pretty much going to have to overpay for whoever they hire—if the candidate is any good—so why not a guy who won at Temple and rebuilt Baylor.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Matt Rhule is available to come back for a second round of cleaning up any residual mess left behind by Addazio. Sadly... DOCTOR Kraft will likely have the inside track at PedState.

Where is James Franklin and his $70 million contract going?
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:03 pm

https://theathletic.com/3670453/2022/10 ... n-college/

Jeff Jagodzinski’s jobs since Boston College firing? The list is long and uncommon

Jakub Samel, head coach of the Polish football team Panthers Wroclaw, needed an offensive line coach for the 2021 season, so he browsed a database of coaches with interest on EuroPlayers.com. One candidate immediately stood out, first because of his Polish surname, but then because his full name sounded familiar.

“I typed his name into the internet, and it pops up that he’s the former Boston College head coach and worked in the NFL for years,” said Samel. “And it’s like — this cannot be this guy on this website. It’s impossible, right?”

The guy was indeed Jeff Jagodzinski, who coached the 2007 Matt Ryan-led BC team that went 11-3 and rose to No. 2 in the country, as well as the 2008 Eagles who reached a second straight ACC championship game. And Jagodzinski — better known as Jags — who made more than $1 million a year at Boston College, was indeed interested in taking a job as a position coach in his family’s homeland in a league where the coaches make $1,500-$2,000 a month and most of the players work day jobs.

“I’m not above anything,” said Jagodzinski, 58, who returned to Poland this year for a second season. “Everybody’s on their own journey, and my expectations don’t have to meet other people’s expectations.”

But Jags’ coaching journey over the past 14 years has been particularly nomadic, even for his profession. He has worked in three professional leagues that ceased operations — the United Football League, The Spring League and the XFL. He’s been a high school play caller, an NAIA receivers coach, a Sun Belt offensive coordinator and, for four weeks, an SEC offensive line coach. In 2022 alone, he coached in two leagues on two continents — the latest version of the USFL and European League of Football — before the college and NFL seasons even began.

“Every place I go,” he said, “has been an adventure.”

As much as he’s enjoyed those experiences, Jagodzinski would still love to be a Power 5 head coach or an NFL offensive coordinator, a job he held with two franchises. Instead, both he and Boston College have spent more than a decade struggling to recover from one of the strangest firings in college football history, resulting from a job he didn’t get as head coach of the New York Jets.

“He deserves to get another crack at big-time college football or pro football,” said Samel.

A Wisconsin native who played fullback for Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater in the early ’80s, Jagodzinski began his coaching career in the college ranks, eventually serving as Boston College’s offensive coordinator under Tom O’Brien for two seasons, then moving to the NFL in 1999, working primarily as an offensive line coach before rising to become offensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers in 2006.

Along the way, Jags was known for his wry sense of humor.

“When the sh–’s hitting the fan in a game or practice — when there’s a catastrophic sack during a game — I get on the headsets, and Jags would make some stupid joke about why it happened,” said former East Carolina head coach Steve Logan, Jagodzinski’s close friend dating to when they joined the ECU staff together in 1989. “And you can laugh at it just enough to where you didn’t shoot yourself or the player.”

When O’Brien left Boston College for NC State following the 2006 season, athletic director Gene DeFilippo lured back Jagodzinski, then 43. The coach signed a five-year contract.

While BC is forever synonymous with Doug Flutie’s Heisman-clinching Hail Mary to beat Miami in 1984, the program has mostly enjoyed limited success. Future Notre Dame coach Frank Leahy’s 1940 team went 11-0 and finished No. 5 in the AP poll. The Eagles finished in the top 10 just twice more over the next seven decades.

Jagodzinski, who hired Logan to be his play caller, inherited a talented roster from O’Brien that had posted three straight Top 25 seasons — but one player in particular stood out.

Ryan had earned first-team All-ACC honors as a junior quarterback but threw for a modest 2,942 yards, 15 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in O’Brien’s conservative offense. That would soon change under Jagodzinski and Logan, known at East Carolina for their wide-open passing offenses with star QBs like Jeff Blake and David Garrard.

“At the end of spring ball, I said, ‘Jags, this kid’s not good — he’s way good,’” said Logan.

Jeff Jagodzinski, above in 2008, led Boston College to consecutive ACC title games. (Elsa / Getty Images)
With the future Atlanta Falcons star throwing 45 to 55 passes a game, BC began the 2007 season 7-0 and took a No. 2 ranking in the BCS standings into a rainy Thursday night showdown at No. 8 Virginia Tech. The Hokies held the Eagles scoreless for nearly 58 minutes before Ryan threw a 16-yard touchdown to receiver Rich Gunnell to cut Virginia Tech’s lead to 10-7, after which BC recovered the onside kick. With 11 seconds left, “Matty Ice” scrambled left, initially took off running, then zinged a 25-yard pass across his body to Andre Callender in the end zone. The Eagles won 14-10 to improve to 8-0.

That dramatic finish remains the recent high point for BC football. Jagodzinski’s Eagles would lose their next two games but still finished with a school-record 11 wins, losing a rematch with the Hokies in the ACC championship game before beating Michigan State in the Champs Sports Bowl.

“What (Jags) did a good job of was having our team be more player-driven, kind of like the NFL model,” said Gunnell, who became a position coach at BC (2016-21) and is now at Holy Cross. “We were a talented group (in 2007), but we were also a bunch of guys who weren’t heavily recruited. We had a huge ‘us against the world’ mentality, and the fact we were so player-driven is what made us great.”

The next season, with redshirt freshman Dominique Davis starting at quarterback and linebacker Mark Herzlich earning All-American honors, BC repeated as Atlantic Division champions, finishing 9-5. The program was the hottest it had been since the Flutie era.

“I had other opportunities to (interview) at different colleges that had called in those two years — and some of them were like top-15 programs — and I just wasn’t interested because I really, really loved BC,” said Jagodzinski. “They were my type of kids. They fit my personality and how I like coaching.”

Shortly after New Year’s, an opportunity presented itself too intriguing to pass up: The New York Jets wanted to interview him for their head coaching position. But when Jagodzinski informed DeFilippo, his AD stunned him with an ultimatum: If he took the interview, he’d be terminated.

“That conversation became really testy,” said Jagodzinski. “He goes, well, you don’t like BC. I said, ‘I love BC, it has nothing to do with that.’ I said, ‘You have a head coach at your school that has an opportunity to coach in the NFL as a head coach.’ This wasn’t Long Island Post, it was the New York Jets.”

On Jan. 6, 2009, Jagodzinski took the meeting. The next day, DeFilippo, who declined to be interviewed for this story, followed through with his threat.

“It happened lightning fast,” said Logan. “All I know is I remember telling my wife, ‘Well, we just won 20 games and got fired. That’s a first.’”

“It sucked because I thought we had such a good thing going,” said Gunnell. “We didn’t really understand it. Understanding it more now as I get older, it was pretty ridiculous.”

According to a Boston Globe story at the time, DeFilippo was displeased at initially learning the Jets had contacted Jagodzinski from a reporter, not from Jagodzinski himself. The Globe also reported that Jagodzinski’s contract had no language prohibiting him from pursuing NFL jobs, but “there was an understanding that Jagodzinski would refrain from seeking other jobs for at least three years.”

“We’re really good friends, and this is a very difficult thing to do,” DeFilippo told reporters at the time. “We will find somebody who really wants to be at Boston College and will be here for the length of their contract.”

Jagodzinski wound up losing out on the Jets job to Rex Ryan. DeFilippo promoted defensive coordinator Frank Spaziani to be BC’s new head coach. He would be fired four years later after going 22-29, including 2-10 in his last season.

BC has not won more than seven games in a season since 2009.

“There’s a certain way that you have to manage that program,” said Jagodzinski, who recruited future first-rounders Anthony Castonzo and Luke Kuechly during his time there. “I think we would have been a powerhouse. I think we would have been a top-20 team year in, year out.

“I have zero doubt about that.”

Initially, it did not take long for Jagodzinski to find a plum new job. Later that month, the Tampa Bay Bucs fired Jon Gruden and promoted 32-year-old defensive coordinator Raheem Morris to replace him. The franchise then hired Jagodzinski as offensive coordinator and gave him a three-year deal that replaced his remaining BC contract.

Ten days before the Bucs’ regular-season opener, Jagodzinski was out. Accounts differ as to why — Jagodzinski says only “it wasn’t a great fit for me” — but Logan, who’d joined his friend in Tampa as running backs coach, had a front-row seat to the chaos.

“Raheem was very young, and Raheem didn’t get to put that staff together personally; management was putting the staff together,” said Logan, who stayed there for three seasons. “Consequently, the staff early on did not mesh at all. There was a lot of ‘Game of Thrones’ crap going on behind the scenes.”

Jagodzinski had been fired for the second time in eight months, though he received the $2 million or so left on his Tampa Bay contract.

And that’s when his vagabond journey began in earnest.

Jags' jobs since Boston College
2009*
Tampa Bay Bucs (OC)
Omaha Nighthawks, UFL (head coach)
Ave Maria University (volunteer receivers coach)
2013-2015
Georgia State (OC)
2017-2018
Notre Dame High, Chattanooga, Tenn. (OL/OC)
2020 (Feb.-March)
Dallas Renegades, XFL (OL/OC)
2020 (Oct.-Nov.)
Generals, The Spring League (OL)
2020 (Nov.-Dec.)**
Kentucky (OL)
2021 (May-June)
Generals, The Spring League (OL)
2021 (June-Sept.)
Panthers Wroclaw, European League (OL)
2022 (April-July)
Philadelphia Stars, USFL (OL)
2022 (July-Sept.)***
Panthers Wroclaw, European League (OL)
* Fired prior to regular-season opener
** Hired on temporary basis
*** Joined the team midseason

The startup United Football League, featuring recognizable ex-NFL coaches like Jerry Glanville and Jim Fassel, added a franchise in Omaha in 2010 and hired Jagodzinski as its head coach. The Nighthawks, led by quarterback Jeff Garcia and running back Ahman Green, started 3-1 but lost their last four as Jagodzinski was fired after the season. The UFL folded two years later.

Jagodzinski returned to Tampa, where his family had remained, and took a volunteer job as receivers coach at Ave Maria University, an NAIA school near Naples, Fla., started by Domino’s Pizza founder Tom Monaghan.

“I was really involved in the Catholic church in Tampa,” said Jagodzinski. “Kevin Joyce was the head coach down there, so I just called down there and asked Kevin, ‘Would you like some help?’ So he goes, ‘Yeah, come on down.’

“I got a chance to start a mentor program down there with young men. That was really rewarding.”

In 2013, a former colleague from Green Bay, Trent Miles, got the head coaching job at Georgia State, a 3-year-old program transitioning from FCS to the Sun Belt, and asked Jagodzinski to be his offensive coordinator.

“I didn’t have anything going on,” he said, “so I did it.”

In his three seasons, the Panthers went from 0-12 to 1-11 to 6-7 and reaching the Cure Bowl in 2015.

Prior to the next season, Jags stepped away to be with his family.

“I really needed a break from the whole thing,” he said. “I kind of just wanted to see if I even want to do this anymore.”

In 2017, Charles Fant, head coach at Notre Dame High School in Chattanooga, Tenn., was driving to pick up dinner for his family when he received a call from his athletic director, Matt Pobieglo.

“He goes, ‘coach Fant, do you remember a guy by the name of Jeff Jagodzinski?’” Fant recalled.

Fant, a Vanderbilt alum, remembered him from when Boston College played Vandy in the 2008 Music City Bowl.

“He goes, ‘Well, he just called about our opening for an offensive line coach,’” Fant said. “I was like, ‘OK, I’m on MTV “Punk’d” right now.’”

Fant and Jags talked for an hour, though, and it became clear that the same guy who coached Brett Favre and Matt Ryan was serious about a job at a school with a 30-yard practice field that required he also teach Wellness classes.

“He said he’d never coached high school football, ‘I saw the advertisement online, I did a GPS, it’s 100 miles exactly from where I live,’” Fant recalled Jags saying. “‘I took it as an omen to give you guys a call.’”

Fant and Jagodzinski became fast friends, with Jags often calling Fant late at night after stumbling on a YouTube clip of a cool play. He’d found the rejuvenation he was looking for.

“He never big-timed anybody,” said Fant. “He never, ever was like, ‘Look, Coach, I’m Jags. I’ve done all this.’ It was always, ‘Hey, what do you think?’”

Fant had been running a spread/air raid offense, but Jagodzinski sold him on installing a few plays from a 1930-style single-wing offense he’d seen run by Apopka High School in Florida. At first, they used it only in short-yardage situations, but after busting one explosive play after another, it eventually became 50-50. Finally, in the state semifinals against Christ Presbyterian Academy, they ran it the whole game and won 42-20 to advance to their first state championship game.

The next season they got to the quarterfinals before Jags moved on for the next opportunity.

In 2019, Vince McMahon’s XFL, set to relaunch the following year, named Bob Stoops as head coach and general manager for the Dallas Renegades. Stoops hired Hal Mumme as his offensive coordinator, and Mumme brought in Jagodzinski as offensive line coach.

After Mumme suffered a sideline injury in their fourth game, Stoops promoted Jagodzinski to offensive coordinator in March 2020. Days later, the rest of the season was canceled due to the pandemic’s onset.

“And then the league folded,” said Jagodzinski, “and there was nobody playing football.”

And yet, he managed to land not one, but two more coaching jobs by year’s end.

The Spring League, a nascent developmental league, held a six-team fall mini-season in San Antonio. Bart Andrus, head coach of the Generals, hired Jagodzinski as his offensive line coach after crossing paths with him in the XFL. Then in November, Kentucky coach Mark Stoops, on the recommendation of his brother Bob, asked Jags to fill in for the last month of the regular season when UK offensive line coach John Schlarman died from cancer.

Jagodzinski declined an opportunity to remain in Lexington as an analyst, instead rejoining Andrus in The Spring League. The Generals’ season ended June 12, 2021.

A week later, Jagodzinski was coaching his first game in Poland.

Panthers Wroclaw, founded in 2013, is financially backed by pork and poultry magnate Jacek Tarczyński.

“The owner is the Sausage King of Poland, like literally,” said Jagodzinski.

Wroclaw is structured much like a soccer club, with youth and junior teams feeding the pro team. In 2021, Wroclaw joined the new European League of Football, which includes teams in Germany, Austria, Spain and Turkey. Each squad can sign four American “imports” — last season, former Sun Belt player of the year Justice Hansen, out of Arkansas State, joined the Polish team — but most are Europeans.

“One game I lined up with a Czech Republic tight end, my right tackle was from Brazil, my right guard and center were from Poland, my left guard was from Serbia and my left tackle was from Spain,” said Jagodzinski.

(Courtesy of Łukasz Skwiot / Panthers Wroclaw)
In addition to introducing novice offensive linemen to chip blocking, he stepped foot for the first time in his ancestors’ hometown of Poznan. Over the past two seasons, he and his now-fiancée, Amy, have visited places like Prague, Rome, Naples and the Amalfi Coast.

This spring, he rejoined Andrus again, this time with the USFL’s Philadelphia Stars, who reached the relaunched league’s first championship game July 3. Then he returned to Poland for the second half of the Panthers’ season, which ended Sept. 4.

Now, he is back home in Dallas watching another American fall football season as a fan. Last year, he enjoyed the novelty of attending games at TCU and SMU as well as the Alabama-Cincinnati College Football Playoff semifinal in Arlington.

But he’d still rather be coaching in those games.

“It’s unexplainable,” said Andrus, “why somebody wouldn’t be interested.”

Once upon a time, Jagodzinski was still getting interviews for head coaching jobs at schools like Minnesota (which hired Jerry Kill) and Vanderbilt (which hired James Franklin). But that was more than a decade ago. It didn’t help his cause that DeFilippo, who left Boston College in 2012, later became an executive at Turnkey, one of the industry’s most commonly used search firms.

“With his personality and knowledge of the game, his ability to get along with other coaches — if someone had hired him that following year at an FBS-type school, he would have been able to duplicate what he did at BC,” said Andrus. But the more time that passed, “People start making assumptions that aren’t true. That there’s something wrong, that he’s difficult to work with.”

After the XFL shutdown, Amy suggested Jeff try to get an agent. It took a while, but he recently began working with South Florida-based Jason Fletcher, whose coaching clients include Dolphins OC Darrell Bevell, Steelers OC Matt Canada, Fresno State DC Kevin Coyle and former NFL head coaches Wade Phillips and Gregg Williams.

“When you don’t have representation and someone to defend your narrative, sometimes you kind of get lost in the shuffle,” said Fletcher. “He hasn’t had anyone to fight for the proper narrative for him, and that’s not the case anymore. He’s going to be OK — and when I say OK, he is going to definitely have an opportunity to interview at both (the college and NFL) levels.”

In three interviews for this story, Jagodzinski expressed pride about every stop of his post-Boston College journey, but the wounds from his messy exit remain. He frequently brought up various feats at BC, “I beat Bobby Bowden, I beat Mark Dantonio, beat Frank Beamer twice, beat Notre Dame.” And it clearly gnaws on him he didn’t get a chance to accomplish even more.

There’s no going back to Jan. 6, 2009, and declining that Jets interview, but one more bite at the NFL or Power 5 apple might deliver the validation he needs.

“Every once in a while guys go, ‘Did that really happen?’” he said of his Boston College firing. “I go, ‘That really happened like that.’ And I’ll be honest with you, if I would have just not done that, I would have probably been able to be a head coach there for a long time.”

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:15 pm

F you, GDF
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:51 pm

I wish Vinny had been contacted to discuss the dental hygienists and lobby underpants shows
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:00 pm

Fire Hafley.

Hire Jagz back
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:01 am

shoutout to flip in assisting gt in hiring geoff collins! https://turnkeyzrg.com/news/georgia-tec ... format=amp
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:58 am

I'd prefer Matt Rhule to Hafley if that were an option after this season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:32 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'd prefer Matt Rhule to Hafley if that were an option after this season.

Rhule is going to a power program or potential power program. Nebraska, Auburn, maybe Arizona St if they can find money to match the big guys
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:47 am

I think the Jags story still is among the strangest in sports. I hate GDF and think his actions during that time period was all about him saving face and nothing about putting BC first.

That said, I try to be rational as it relates Jags. He is not without blame regarding his career trajectory. Interviewing for the Jets job (knowing there was zero chance he was getting it) wasn't good for BC regardless of GDF's reaction. It made even less sense to stubbornly go ahead once he knew GDF's position on the matter. He'd survive being fired at a crap school like BC (just look at Bruce Arians), but quickly washing out of the NFL is what really killed his career. Further, each move since that fateful week reinforces bad decisions. Even as recently as this past year, he decided against staying with Mark Stoops in Kentucky to join the Spring League???

All I am saying is that it is great to romanticize what could have been and fervently believe there was a version of Jags that would have done really well here for decades, but that would have to ignore his inability to settle-in and grow roots. We all heard the rumors that, after beating MSU with Matt Ryan in the bowl game, he was like "wait... that's it?" It is only in retrospect that Jags realizes that he truly loved BC and should have never left. But, it is hard to believe, if we hired him tomorrow, he'd feel the same way in a year.
Then in November, Kentucky coach Mark Stoops, on the recommendation of his brother Bob, asked Jags to fill in for the last month of the regular season when UK offensive line coach John Schlarman died from cancer. Jagodzinski declined an opportunity to remain in Lexington as an analyst, instead rejoining Andrus in The Spring League. The Generals’ season ended June 12, 2021. A week later, Jagodzinski was coaching his first game in Poland.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:48 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'd prefer Matt Rhule to Hafley if that were an option after this season.

Rhule is going to a power program or potential power program. Nebraska, Auburn, maybe Arizona St if they can find money to match the big guys

What are you hearing from GTech? I'd think he'd fit beautifully with that program.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:19 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

What are you hearing from GTech? I'd think he'd fit beautifully with that program.

Tech fired their AD too which is understandable but also messy. Key is a GT grad and will be cheap. My guess is if he keeps winning they just hand him the job full time.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:46 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:shoutout to flip in assisting gt in hiring geoff collins! https://turnkeyzrg.com/news/georgia-tec ... format=amp

i wonder if he'll get an rfp this time around and if he submits his own name for the open ad position
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby durkcal on Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:21 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:If you look at the guys having success being hired from Coordinator to head coach, without head coaching experience, you see a consistent factor - decent tenure at the Coordinator position:

Narduzzi - 12 years as a DC
Fickell - 11 years as DC
Aranda - 10 years as DC
Whittingham - 10 years as DC
K Smart - 8 years as DC
Sitake - 7 years as DC

even some of the good Group of 5 hires had 4-8 years as Coordinators.

Venables will be interesting to watch as he has 22 years as a Coordinator! It makes sense. More time making some mistakes, having to deal with weak talent cycles, managing staff, etc....before you get to be responsible for the whole

Dammit! I knew we should have hired Spaz

Ha ha ! Good old Spaz. :spaz2 :spaz3 A lot goes into hiring coaches. Success rate is low.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:07 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think the Jags story still is among the strangest in sports. I hate GDF and think his actions during that time period was all about him saving face and nothing about putting BC first.

That said, I try to be rational as it relates Jags. He is not without blame regarding his career trajectory. Interviewing for the Jets job (knowing there was zero chance he was getting it) wasn't good for BC regardless of GDF's reaction. It made even less sense to stubbornly go ahead once he knew GDF's position on the matter. He'd survive being fired at a crap school like BC (just look at Bruce Arians), but quickly washing out of the NFL is what really killed his career. Further, each move since that fateful week reinforces bad decisions. Even as recently as this past year, he decided against staying with Mark Stoops in Kentucky to join the Spring League???

All I am saying is that it is great to romanticize what could have been and fervently believe there was a version of Jags that would have done really well here for decades, but that would have to ignore his inability to settle-in and grow roots. We all heard the rumors that, after beating MSU with Matt Ryan in the bowl game, he was like "wait... that's it?" It is only in retrospect that Jags realizes that he truly loved BC and should have never left. But, it is hard to believe, if we hired him tomorrow, he'd feel the same way in a year.
Then in November, Kentucky coach Mark Stoops, on the recommendation of his brother Bob, asked Jags to fill in for the last month of the regular season when UK offensive line coach John Schlarman died from cancer. Jagodzinski declined an opportunity to remain in Lexington as an analyst, instead rejoining Andrus in The Spring League. The Generals’ season ended June 12, 2021. A week later, Jagodzinski was coaching his first game in Poland.

If Greasy Gene had just hired Logan instead of Spaz, I think BC could have gone on a long run.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:11 pm

harsin out at auburn. could hafley be next after we get dick stomped friday.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:55 pm

Matt Rhule to Nebraska
Kiffin staying at Ole Miss (at least this week)
Hugh Freeze looking like the next Auburn coach
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:31 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Matt Rhule to Nebraska

Freeze at Auburn is a good fit. Good football mind. No problem cheating. Will kiss the right rings of the boosters.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:35 am

Luke Fickell may be venturing outside of Ohio for the first time in his life. Wisconsin has made him their top choice.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:49 pm

David Shaw forced out. Stanford will probably take an approach very similar to BC: ties to winning era or regional guys.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:59 pm

as much as we complain about our administration's feeling towards football, the way stanford is operating it's impossible for them to compete at a high level
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:28 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:David Shaw forced out. Stanford will probably take an approach very similar to BC: ties to winning era or regional guys.

Bring back Bill Walsh??? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:37 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:as much as we complain about our administration's feeling towards football, the way stanford is operating it's impossible for them to compete at a high level

Stanford gets plenty of publicity from their non revenue sports. They also don't need football for fundraising, so it can be an afterthought.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:15 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Freeze at Auburn is a good fit. Good football mind. No problem cheating. Will kiss the right rings of the boosters.

Auburn coaches should really just be paid by the hour at this point.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:39 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Auburn coaches should really just be paid by the hour at this point.

They will continue this streaming of coaches every 2 years so long as Alabama still has Saban. It amazes me that, with all the money these SEC schools make from their TV deal, they just use it to pay-off coaches to leave and buy-out coaches to come.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:47 pm

Freeze officially to Auburn.

Weirdest hire of this cycle just announced… Deion Sanders is the next coach of Colorado.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium