BC players in the NFL

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:55 pm

claver2010 wrote:am i oblivious? i had no idea brian mihalik is starting LT for the lions



He had to come out last with an injury and was replaced by, Emmett Cleary. BM came back in a few plays later.
DomingoOrtiz
Devlin Hall
 
Posts: 7261
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 98

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby bcshater on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Justin Simmons wears # 31 for Denver. Same number as former BC'er Jay McGillis. Wonder if Simmons requested the number or if this is just a coincidence.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
2015 EO Pick'em regular season champion
bcshater
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:50 pm
Karma: 8

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby mario14b on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:30 pm

bcshater wrote:Justin Simmons wears # 31 for Denver. Same number as former BC'er Jay McGillis. Wonder if Simmons requested the number or if this is just a coincidence.


You guess correctly: Behind the jersey numbers
mario14b
n00b
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:39 pm
Karma: 8

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:59 pm

mario14b wrote:
bcshater wrote:Justin Simmons wears # 31 for Denver. Same number as former BC'er Jay McGillis. Wonder if Simmons requested the number or if this is just a coincidence.


You guess correctly: Behind the jersey numbers


Thank you for sharing. The other stories were so bad in comparison, they should have just listed Simmons'.

Collinsworth just sang his praises again.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 62

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Great representative of BC.
"It means a lot; 31 was a huge number at BC [Boston College]. For those who don't know, it's [for] Jay McGillis, who passed away during his career at BC. He was a loved teammate and friend. It's given to the senior defensive back every year that best resembles what Jay McGillis stood for, so I was completely honored to be able to wear his jersey for the last home game. When I had the opportunity to take my career to the next level in the NFL and be able to wear No. 31, it was a no-brainer to me. That number means so much to the BC family and it means a lot to me. I know I'm excited."
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13471
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 193

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:52 pm

DomingoOrtiz wrote:
DavidGordonsFoot wrote:Luke should retire now, but I expect him to try to finish the season. It's a shame to see his career cut short.



Looks like he is going to play tomorrow.



1st team All-Pro!
Last edited by DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DomingoOrtiz
Devlin Hall
 
Posts: 7261
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 98

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14465
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2869

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 pm

MattHass would be a decent choice. But, kinda weird to have 2, white, bald guys from Mass in the booth.
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13471
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 193

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu May 03, 2018 4:11 pm

DomingoOrtiz
Devlin Hall
 
Posts: 7261
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 98

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 14, 2018 8:13 am

DomingoOrtiz wrote:Emmet Cleary signed to the Giants PS.


pretty cool story on cleary:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -a-doctor/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16838
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2940

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13471
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 193

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby Darren6 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:46 am

How good is CB Kamrin Moore? As stated in another thread, I am new here...my son will be coming up this Fall as a freshman from New Orleans and my Saints drafted Kamrin this year. With camp starting today, I was wondering your thoughts on how good of a player he is...in the past, secondary was a weakness for the Saints but after an overhaul last year, it is now a strength on their young defense, and I'm curious as to whether or not he will be on the final roster or just a practice squad player?
Darren6
n00b
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 pm
Karma: 12

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 am

Darren6 wrote:How good is CB Kamrin Moore? As stated in another thread, I am new here...my son will be coming up this Fall as a freshman from New Orleans and my Saints drafted Kamrin this year. With camp starting today, I was wondering your thoughts on how good of a player he is...in the past, secondary was a weakness for the Saints but after an overhaul last year, it is now a strength on their young defense, and I'm curious as to whether or not he will be on the final roster or just a practice squad player?


BC has has a good history with DBs making teams lately - Justin Simmons with the Broncos, John Johnson with the Rams, but those have been safeties. BC has never really done well with CBs in the pros historically - this year was the first two I can remember being drafted since Will Blackmon. For a long time they played base 4-3/cover two on every down, so they didn't need to recruit top athletes. Moore was recruited to play in Don Brown's blitz happy scheme, and the new DC has stuck with a lot of man coverage. Moore was a very good one on one cover corner in the ACC. He's also evidently a smart guy. Whether he is athletic enough to play on the outside in the NFL, especially with some of the leg problems he had sophomore and senior years, remains to be seen.

I suspect his ability to stick initially will largely turn on whether he can contribute on special teams - he's not a returner, but if he commits to ST coverage units, he's a good enough DB that he might be woth a spot on the 53 man roster.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 29302
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2355

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby Los on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:14 pm

DeJuan Tribble was the last NFL-caliber corner I can remember at BC, but even then I'm not sure I'd consider him a "shutdown" corner. He was more of a "ball hawk" that was able to use to his athleticism to create takeaways and other impact plays.
- Los
User avatar
Los
n00b
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:06 am
Location: Here
Karma: 2

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:09 pm

Los wrote:DeJuan Tribble was the last NFL-caliber corner I can remember at BC, but even then I'm not sure I'd consider him a "shutdown" corner. He was more of a "ball hawk" that was able to use to his athleticism to create takeaways and other impact plays.


Yeah, he was a route-jumper in the cover-two. Poor man's Asante Samuel.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 29302
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2355

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:11 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
Darren6 wrote:How good is CB Kamrin Moore? As stated in another thread, I am new here...my son will be coming up this Fall as a freshman from New Orleans and my Saints drafted Kamrin this year. With camp starting today, I was wondering your thoughts on how good of a player he is...in the past, secondary was a weakness for the Saints but after an overhaul last year, it is now a strength on their young defense, and I'm curious as to whether or not he will be on the final roster or just a practice squad player?


BC has has a good history with DBs making teams lately - Justin Simmons with the Broncos, John Johnson with the Rams, but those have been safeties. BC has never really done well with CBs in the pros historically - this year was the first two I can remember being drafted since Will Blackmon. For a long time they played base 4-3/cover two on every down, so they didn't need to recruit top athletes. Moore was recruited to play in Don Brown's blitz happy scheme, and the new DC has stuck with a lot of man coverage. Moore was a very good one on one cover corner in the ACC. He's also evidently a smart guy. Whether he is athletic enough to play on the outside in the NFL, especially with some of the leg problems he had sophomore and senior years, remains to be seen.

I suspect his ability to stick initially will largely turn on whether he can contribute on special teams - he's not a returner, but if he commits to ST coverage units, he's a good enough DB that he might be woth a spot on the 53 man roster.


Agree with this and would add that he was also very good against the run. I thought his NCST injury was a shoulder?
DomingoOrtiz
Devlin Hall
 
Posts: 7261
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am
Location: El Barrio
Karma: 98

Re: BC players in the NFL

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm

DomingoOrtiz wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
Darren6 wrote:How good is CB Kamrin Moore? As stated in another thread, I am new here...my son will be coming up this Fall as a freshman from New Orleans and my Saints drafted Kamrin this year. With camp starting today, I was wondering your thoughts on how good of a player he is...in the past, secondary was a weakness for the Saints but after an overhaul last year, it is now a strength on their young defense, and I'm curious as to whether or not he will be on the final roster or just a practice squad player?


BC has has a good history with DBs making teams lately - Justin Simmons with the Broncos, John Johnson with the Rams, but those have been safeties. BC has never really done well with CBs in the pros historically - this year was the first two I can remember being drafted since Will Blackmon. For a long time they played base 4-3/cover two on every down, so they didn't need to recruit top athletes. Moore was recruited to play in Don Brown's blitz happy scheme, and the new DC has stuck with a lot of man coverage. Moore was a very good one on one cover corner in the ACC. He's also evidently a smart guy. Whether he is athletic enough to play on the outside in the NFL, especially with some of the leg problems he had sophomore and senior years, remains to be seen.

I suspect his ability to stick initially will largely turn on whether he can contribute on special teams - he's not a returner, but if he commits to ST coverage units, he's a good enough DB that he might be woth a spot on the 53 man roster.


Agree with this and would add that he was also very good against the run. I thought his NCST injury was a shoulder?


You are correct, it was a shoulder. Agree, he can tackle and run support, which is why I think he might be able to play special teams. He's definitely not a prima donna corner.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 29302
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2355

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Untitled document
cron