2017 Spring Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Spring Football

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:34 am

twballgame9 wrote:The one concern I had on D was the DT position. I feel a little better now.

Agree that DT is a concern. Why do you feel better now?
DomingoOrtiz
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:44 am

DomingoOrtiz wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:The one concern I had on D was the DT position. I feel a little better now.

Because they played pretty well, particularly in getting penetration. Whomever switched to 93 - I am assuming it was Merritt - was especially good, and Smith will be fine. And I said "a little better". They still have depth problems, though Allen can move inside on passing downs.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:55 am

flakes wrote:Yes, lots of guys out on the OL but the lack of talent on offense is still really problematic. DL and DB will be ok, but it seems like this is our weakest group of LBs in a long time, no? At least Wade looked decent and Brown does look like he has a strong arm, albeit very erratic.

In the meantime...I saw this article about the NFL Draft. BC draftees consistently overachieve in the league...(not surprisingly ND is the opposite).

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... fl-players

There's not a lack of talent on offense. It's just a matter of whether the coaches can figure out how to use it. There are 4 legit ACC RBs, an all-conference TE and WRs that are plenty capable of making plays (but not always catching the ball)
eepstein0
Fulton Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
flakes wrote:Yes, lots of guys out on the OL but the lack of talent on offense is still really problematic. DL and DB will be ok, but it seems like this is our weakest group of LBs in a long time, no? At least Wade looked decent and Brown does look like he has a strong arm, albeit very erratic.

In the meantime...I saw this article about the NFL Draft. BC draftees consistently overachieve in the league...(not surprisingly ND is the opposite).

There's not a lack of talent on offense. It's just a matter of whether the coaches can figure out how to use it. There are 4 legit ACC RBs, an all-conference TE and WRs that are plenty capable of making plays (but not always catching the ball)

No one on this offense has proved to be anything but mediocre at best and there's no reason to think otherwise at this point. They averaged 12ppg in ACC games last year and I don't think Ben Glines is the answer. I just hope the defense can continue to play well against the middle-poor part of the schedule.
flakes
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

flakes wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:

No one on this offense has proved to be anything but mediocre at best and there's no reason to think otherwise at this point. They averaged 12ppg in ACC games last year and I don't think Ben Glines is the answer. I just hope the defense can continue to play well against the middle-poor part of the schedule.

I don't think he was suggesting that they scored a lot in ACC play. I think he was suggesting that the reason they did not score a lot in ACC play had little to do with talent and much to do with coaching. Pointing to last year's scoring makes both points, without distinguishing between the two.

I tend to agree that the talent is much better at the skill positions than people think it is. This based not on PPG with last year's roster with Towles under center, but observations of the guys on the field and the incoming and redshirted WRs and RBs, in particular Dillon, Levy, Borgerson and White. I also think the line looked better this spring even missing so many guys, although there is plenty of room to improve.

Do I think they have any chance to beat FSU, Clemson or Louisville? No. But they have the talent to score enough to win the rest of their games and to make those three games look more like they did the first three years of his tenure, rather than last year. Will he use them properly to allow them to do so? Who knows. They seem to be keen on this up tempo and no huddle stuff that they put in for the bowl game and used at times in the Spring game. If talent is really the problem, then doing so should make those games even worse.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:

Because they played pretty well, particularly in getting penetration. Whomever switched to 93 - I am assuming it was Merritt - was especially good, and Smith will be fine. And I said "a little better". They still have depth problems, though Allen can move inside on passing downs.

Also, having Landry back eases a lot of the DT concern because we're going to see more and more teams double-teaming him, which will make the job inside that much easier. We saw this in the bowl game where Gutapfel suddenly looked like an all-american when Maryland game-planned around Landry.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:09 pm

durkcal wrote:Why is it seemingly impossible to see a replay of the Spring Game?

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3046114
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 pm

flakes wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:

The offense sucked last year because Towles couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and the blocking at times was all over the place.

There's enough talent at the skill positions to make this work.
eepstein0
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:11 am

:thehjs

it's all about the OL, despite the inevitable cries of youth they'll probably have one of the most experienced OLs in the acc based on starts
2016 Death Pool Champion
claver2010
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 pm

claver2010 wrote::thehjs

it's all about the OL, despite the inevitable cries of youth they'll probably have one of the most experienced OLs in the acc based on starts

Losing Lowry will be addition by subtraction. At times last year they should've just played 4 OL instead.
eepstein0
Fulton Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:07 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
claver2010 wrote::thehjs

Losing Lowry will be addition by subtraction. At times last year they should've just played 4 OL instead.

I'm surprised Daz hasn't thought of this already. Just imagine a stacked formation with 4 OL and 3 TE's!!!

:dildodog
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:49 pm

Tommy Sweeney is an elite pass catcher.

What can Brown do for you?
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Loeffler will make Sweeney prob the player with the most receptions this season.
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.

MF73-Eleazar
McGuinn Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri May 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Tucky out.
I look forward to being called stupid for expressing the above thought.
Corporal Funishment
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat May 13, 2017 8:09 am

Corporal Funishment wrote:Tucky out.

Hurt? Leaving?
DomingoOrtiz
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat May 13, 2017 8:59 am

DomingoOrtiz wrote:

Hurt? Leaving?

Transferring from BC to Kentucky is a solid life decision
eepstein0
Fulton Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat May 13, 2017 11:24 am

eepstein0 wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:

Hurt? Leaving?

He was apparently far behind Max Richardson for the 2nd spot on the depth chart, another 4* that wasn't gonna pan out.

Seems like a nice kid who decided that if he can't get meaningful time here then he'd rather be closer to home. Best of luck to him.

What can Brown do for you?
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat May 13, 2017 4:27 pm

ILikeBC wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:

Hurt? Leaving?

He was apparently far behind Max Richardson for the 2nd spot on the depth chart, another 4* that wasn't gonna pan out.

Seems like a nice kid who decided that if he can't get meaningful time here then he'd rather be closer to home. Best of luck to him.

I've not seen anything out of Max Richardson, including numerous illegal blocks in the back to negate long kickoff returns, to indicate he is any good at the sport of football but whatever.
eepstein0
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun May 14, 2017 8:55 am

ILikeBC wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:

Hurt? Leaving?

He looks pretty happy in the photo with his parents after the springgame. Wonder if he was nudged out?
DomingoOrtiz
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun May 14, 2017 3:17 pm

DomingoOrtiz wrote:
ILikeBC wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:

Hurt? Leaving?

He looks pretty happy in the photo with his parents after the springgame. Wonder if he was nudged out?

I'm surprised they couldn't move him to OLB. We don't exactly have an embarrassment of riches there
eepstein0
Fulton Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon May 15, 2017 12:19 am

eepstein0 wrote:
ILikeBC wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:

Hurt? Leaving?

I've not seen anything out of Max Richardson, including numerous illegal blocks in the back to negate long kickoff returns, to indicate he is any good at the sport of football but whatever.

I like to believe there's a level of peak Epstein at which the board achieves singularity and collapses upon itself once and for all

This post brings us another couple of minutes closer to midnight on the doomsday clock
I look forward to being called stupid for expressing the above thought.
Corporal Funishment
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 15, 2017 5:10 am

Corporal Funishment wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
ILikeBC wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:
DomingoOrtiz wrote:

Hurt? Leaving?

I like to believe there's a level of peak Epstein at which the board achieves singularity and collapses upon itself once and for all

This post brings us another couple of minutes closer to midnight on the doomsday clock

Again I'm always happy to help. This place is getting boring
eepstein0
Fulton Hall

Postby durkcal on Tue May 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Disappointed to see the news about Tucky. We've had such a good track record with Ohio recruits.
durkcal
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu May 18, 2017 7:17 am

eepstein0 wrote:
Again I'm always happy to help. This place is getting boring

Very true.
"I can't keep track anymore of all the different points you've been making. You have been all over the place today, completely obtuse, obfuscating every single path. I think you may have even contradicted yourself." -innocentbystander 2.21.17
DavidGordonsFoot
Fulton Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium