2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby Shaddix on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:42 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 wrote:
MattTheEagle wrote:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.


Patchan is huge if he stays healthy. And that's a big if. Wen isaw he commited, I first thought Spadazzio deserved some props for beating out tOSU. After I thought about it, the more reasonable explanation was that OSU wasn't interested and BC was his only choice because his health is a major liability.


If Addazio wasn't the coach, he wouldn't have even considered BC, he deserves credit for that
Shaddix
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 pm
Karma: 2

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 pm

hinghameagle wrote:Further HJS, you acknowledge that Spaz was a disastrous coach, and I agree with you 100%. Additionally you have been trashing Dazz since the hire in both his recruiting and poor coaching last year at Temple. And again I might agree with you. But this raises the question, how do you on one hand trash Dazz, and on the other have him turning this team into a 6 win improvement over last year.

I think the talent is there. I think the schedule is there. I think we should win 8 games. However, shitty coaching can certainly lower that total. Crap. Ain't no effing way BC's talent was only worth 2 wins last year. I don't factor shitass coaching into the scenario.
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 10603
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 25

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 am

Shaddix wrote:
BCSUPERFAN22 wrote:
MattTheEagle wrote:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.


Patchan is huge if he stays healthy. And that's a big if. Wen isaw he commited, I first thought Spadazzio deserved some props for beating out tOSU. After I thought about it, the more reasonable explanation was that OSU wasn't interested and BC was his only choice because his health is a major liability.


If Addazio wasn't the coach, he wouldn't have even considered BC, he deserves credit for that


Barely. He's a kid that knew Addazio at UF, decided to transfer because he never got on the field enough, and gets a one-year shot at a school that can guarantee a playing time opportunity - not to mention a great start to a grad degree. Talk to us when Addazio starts beating out other schools for high school kids looking to the next level. So far, he hasn't done that AND managed to lose kids that committed to a Lame Duck Spaz. Go figure.....
User avatar
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2138
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:55 pm
Karma: 180

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby 31southst on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:00 am

Rock.O's evaluation of Walsh FWIW:

Good kid, good athlete, good size. Average speed, slow release, strong arm. IMHO, he will end up at a different position. He was a good player in HS, but he was surrounded by other good players and all he had to do was distribute the ball, not carry the offense. He will be a solid citizen, but he was not even Ohio Univeristy's first choice at QB. And yes OU runs the spread read option. The same offense BC will be running. Lowrie will be Bordner's backup. They will recruit over Walsh in 2014.

As i said before Walsh's HS is in our league. My QB signed with Air Force Wednesday, and my back-up is a better QB than Walsh. Not a better athlete, but a better QB. He'll be a senior starter this year and he will end up playing in the MAC most likely, possibly low level BCS if he really lights things up.

BTW we have been running the read option as part of our package for at least 8 years. In my experience at the HS level we needed a different goal line approach and mentality so we would run a lot of 3 back stuff in the pistol near the goal line. All in all we had 7 kids sign D2 or above yesterday. That's a little more than usual for us. Air Force, Illinois, Miami were the headliners. Five more went D3 or NAIA.


Based on that description I think Walsh actually does make a lot of sense as a flier in a coaching transition class. He does not however warrant chasing off the best recruit in our class. I do hope I'm wrong though.
31southst
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:30 pm
Karma: 160

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby Shaddix on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:32 am

31southst wrote:Rock.O's evaluation of Walsh FWIW:

Good kid, good athlete, good size. Average speed, slow release, strong arm. IMHO, he will end up at a different position. He was a good player in HS, but he was surrounded by other good players and all he had to do was distribute the ball, not carry the offense. He will be a solid citizen, but he was not even Ohio Univeristy's first choice at QB. And yes OU runs the spread read option. The same offense BC will be running. Lowrie will be Bordner's backup. They will recruit over Walsh in 2014.

As i said before Walsh's HS is in our league. My QB signed with Air Force Wednesday, and my back-up is a better QB than Walsh. Not a better athlete, but a better QB. He'll be a senior starter this year and he will end up playing in the MAC most likely, possibly low level BCS if he really lights things up.

BTW we have been running the read option as part of our package for at least 8 years. In my experience at the HS level we needed a different goal line approach and mentality so we would run a lot of 3 back stuff in the pistol near the goal line. All in all we had 7 kids sign D2 or above yesterday. That's a little more than usual for us. Air Force, Illinois, Miami were the headliners. Five more went D3 or NAIA.


Based on that description I think Walsh actually does make a lot of sense as a flier in a coaching transition class. He does not however warrant chasing off the best recruit in our class. I do hope I'm wrong though.


Not their first choice at QB? Walsh was the highest rated QB Ohio had ever gotten.
Shaddix
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 pm
Karma: 2

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:01 am

31southst wrote:Rock.O's evaluation of Walsh FWIW:

Good kid, good athlete, good size. Average speed, slow release, strong arm. IMHO, he will end up at a different position. He was a good player in HS, but he was surrounded by other good players and all he had to do was distribute the ball, not carry the offense. He will be a solid citizen, but he was not even Ohio Univeristy's first choice at QB. And yes OU runs the spread read option. The same offense BC will be running. Lowrie will be Bordner's backup. They will recruit over Walsh in 2014.

As i said before Walsh's HS is in our league. My QB signed with Air Force Wednesday, and my back-up is a better QB than Walsh. Not a better athlete, but a better QB. He'll be a senior starter this year and he will end up playing in the MAC most likely, possibly low level BCS if he really lights things up.

BTW we have been running the read option as part of our package for at least 8 years. In my experience at the HS level we needed a different goal line approach and mentality so we would run a lot of 3 back stuff in the pistol near the goal line. All in all we had 7 kids sign D2 or above yesterday. That's a little more than usual for us. Air Force, Illinois, Miami were the headliners. Five more went D3 or NAIA.


Based on that description I think Walsh actually does make a lot of sense as a flier in a coaching transition class. He does not however warrant chasing off the best recruit in our class. I do hope I'm wrong though.
Image
User avatar
eagle9903
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12006
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 pm
Karma: 2384

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby maxwell22 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:04 am

Shaddix wrote:
BCSUPERFAN22 wrote:
MattTheEagle wrote:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.


Patchan is huge if he stays healthy. And that's a big if. Wen isaw he commited, I first thought Spadazzio deserved some props for beating out tOSU. After I thought about it, the more reasonable explanation was that OSU wasn't interested and BC was his only choice because his health is a major liability.


If Addazio wasn't the coach, he wouldn't have even considered BC, he deserves credit for that


Maybe so, but after Game 12 Patchan won't be much help!
maxwell22
n00b
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:20 am
Karma: 6

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby maxwell22 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:08 am

MattTheEagle wrote:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.


If yesterday was "a good day overall", what the hell does a bad day look like?
maxwell22
n00b
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:20 am
Karma: 6

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 am

maxwell22 wrote:If yesterday was "a good day overall", what the hell does a bad day look like?


Image
Boston College Basketball
Buell, Ryan
DeLuca, Fred
Harper, Valerie
James, Clive
Johnson, Wilko
Redner, Joe
Simon, Sam
Thorson, Scott
Travis, Randy
Yousafzai, Malala
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9695
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 3821

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:12 am

Image
Boston College Basketball
Buell, Ryan
DeLuca, Fred
Harper, Valerie
James, Clive
Johnson, Wilko
Redner, Joe
Simon, Sam
Thorson, Scott
Travis, Randy
Yousafzai, Malala
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9695
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 3821

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

MattTheEagle wrote:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.


I made some legit excused for Addazio, especially regarding the available schollies, but this is dumb. When Jags got here he landed Momah, Newman, Costanzo, Gause, Dom Davis, Spinney, Elliot and Chris Johnson, and closed on Eason. That's a QB, 2 starting linemen, a starting DE, a contributing WR, a starting corner, and three washouts. Two of the guys, Costanzo and Gause, started from Day 1, and one is in the NFL as a first round pick.

It's not as hard to pick up late talent when you know what it looks like. Hopefully Rouse is one of those guys.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 20694
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 1528

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

Image
Boston College Basketball
Buell, Ryan
DeLuca, Fred
Harper, Valerie
James, Clive
Johnson, Wilko
Redner, Joe
Simon, Sam
Thorson, Scott
Travis, Randy
Yousafzai, Malala
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9695
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 3821

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 am

Image
Boston College Basketball
Buell, Ryan
DeLuca, Fred
Harper, Valerie
James, Clive
Johnson, Wilko
Redner, Joe
Simon, Sam
Thorson, Scott
Travis, Randy
Yousafzai, Malala
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9695
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 3821

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby maxwell22 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:16 am

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:Image


It is Bush's fault!
maxwell22
n00b
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:20 am
Karma: 6

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby Shaddix on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 am

twballgame9 wrote:
MattTheEagle wrote:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.


I made some legit excused for Addazio, especially regarding the available schollies, but this is dumb. When Jags got here he landed Momah, Newman, Costanzo, Gause, Dom Davis, Spinney, Elliot and Chris Johnson, and closed on Eason. That's a QB, 2 starting linemen, a starting DE, a contributing WR, a starting corner, and three washouts. Two of the guys, Costanzo and Gause, started from Day 1, and one is in the NFL as a first round pick.

It's not as hard to pick up late talent when you know what it looks like. Hopefully Rouse is one of those guys.


2*
Shaddix
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 pm
Karma: 2

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:38 am

twballgame9 wrote:
MattTheEagle wrote:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.


I made some legit excused for Addazio, especially regarding the available schollies, but this is dumb. When Jags got here he landed Momah, Newman, Costanzo, Gause, Dom Davis, Spinney, Elliot and Chris Johnson, and closed on Eason. That's a QB, 2 starting linemen, a starting DE, a contributing WR, a starting corner, and three washouts. Two of the guys, Costanzo and Gause, started from Day 1, and one is in the NFL as a first round pick.

It's not as hard to pick up late talent when you know what it looks like. Hopefully Rouse is one of those guys.


There is nothing more annoying than Matttheagle and Shaddix ruining my arguments.

1) Jags and Spaz both had better transition classes than Addazio, this is really beyond question unless Rouse turns into a four year starter and NFL first round draft pick and Walsh starts (successfully) at QB for multiple years;
2) There is a significant mitigating factor that allows "1)" to not be legitimate grounds for the calling of the end times, most notably the well acknowledged Spaziani recruiting wrap up by September strategy. Examine the following: a) Jags walked into a 10 commit class (put aside the 10 win season the year before for the moment) in December of 2006 then Jeff Rieskamp decommitted and Willis left freeing up an additional scholarship. He had therefore, at least nine spots remaining. Jags did a very solid job under the time constraints as noted above. b) fast forward to the Spaz transition class, Jags left Spazoo with only 8 signees and he left targets that the Jags staff had been recruiting for months e.g. Kuechly, Finch and Naples not to mention significant portions of his staff e.g. Sirmans, Day, McGovern etc. Spaz had at least 9 spots remaining. Enter Addazio: He walks in the door with 17 signed players for a roster of 86 scholarship players (or 88 if you count the walk-ons the 'zoo gave schollies to). It has been accepted here as fact by those with whom I disagree that BC told Addazio he was honoring those scholarships. Thereafter, 4 recruits followed assistant coaches (Montesero) or new offers (Daniels[Iowa], Geiger [MSU]. Addazio brought in a former five star UF player at a position of need for a rental year, possible his kid (depending on if he takes a scholarship or not) and a QB the merits of whom are debatable elsewhere, the QB plus the perceived system cause an additional commit, Boyle, to leave. Rouse is taken after whiffs with Davis and Webb. I don't think it merits the words for why it is easier to recruit with nine+ spots than one or zero, but the bottomline is it is a poor comparison.
3) If someone needs a primer on why the current coach shouldn't be blamed for the recruiting ranking considering what he inherited vs. the other transition classes I suggest a single shot at the base of your skull for the good of the gene pool.
Image
User avatar
eagle9903
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12006
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 pm
Karma: 2384

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby Shaddix on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 am

eagle9903 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
MattTheEagle wrote:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.


I made some legit excused for Addazio, especially regarding the available schollies, but this is dumb. When Jags got here he landed Momah, Newman, Costanzo, Gause, Dom Davis, Spinney, Elliot and Chris Johnson, and closed on Eason. That's a QB, 2 starting linemen, a starting DE, a contributing WR, a starting corner, and three washouts. Two of the guys, Costanzo and Gause, started from Day 1, and one is in the NFL as a first round pick.

It's not as hard to pick up late talent when you know what it looks like. Hopefully Rouse is one of those guys.


There is nothing more annoying than Matttheagle and Shaddix ruining my arguments.

1) Jags and Spaz both had better transition classes than Addazio, this is really beyond question unless Rouse turns into a four year starter and NFL first round draft pick and Walsh starts (successfully) at QB for multiple years;
2) There is a significant mitigating factor that allows "1)" to not be legitimate grounds for the calling of the end times, most notably the well acknowledged Spaziani recruiting wrap up by September strategy. Examine the following: a) Jags walked into a 10 commit class (put aside the 10 win season the year before for the moment) in December of 2006 then Jeff Rieskamp decommitted and Willis left freeing up an additional scholarship. He had therefore, at least nine spots remaining. Jags did a very solid job under the time constraints as noted above. b) fast forward to the Spaz transition class, Jags left Spazoo with only 8 signees and he left targets that the Jags staff had been recruiting for months e.g. Kuechly, Finch and Naples not to mention significant portions of his staff e.g. Sirmans, Day, McGovern etc. Spaz had at least 9 spots remaining. Enter Addazio: He walks in the door with 17 signed players for a roster of 86 scholarship players (or 88 if you count the walk-ons the 'zoo gave schollies to). It has been accepted here as fact by those with whom I disagree that BC told Addazio he was honoring those scholarships. Thereafter, 4 recruits followed assistant coaches (Montesero) or new offers (Daniels[Iowa], Geiger [MSU]. Addazio brought in a former five star UF player at a position of need for a rental year, possible his kid (depending on if he takes a scholarship or not) and a QB the merits of whom are debatable elsewhere, the QB plus the perceived system cause an additional commit, Boyle, to leave. Rouse is taken after whiffs with Davis and Webb. I don't think it merits the words for why it is easier to recruit with nine+ spots than one or zero, but the bottomline is it is a poor comparison.
3) If someone needs a primer on why the current coach shouldn't be blamed for the recruiting ranking considering what he inherited vs. the other transition classes I suggest a single shot at the base of your skull for the good of the gene pool.


My point was that Jags' recruits were also 2 stars. Who's to say that this is a terrible class if you are comparing stars. Although i don't think it will be a good class, I'm willing to wait and see.
Shaddix
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 pm
Karma: 2

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 am

Shaddix wrote:
eagle9903 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
MattTheEagle wrote:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.


I made some legit excused for Addazio, especially regarding the available schollies, but this is dumb. When Jags got here he landed Momah, Newman, Costanzo, Gause, Dom Davis, Spinney, Elliot and Chris Johnson, and closed on Eason. That's a QB, 2 starting linemen, a starting DE, a contributing WR, a starting corner, and three washouts. Two of the guys, Costanzo and Gause, started from Day 1, and one is in the NFL as a first round pick.

It's not as hard to pick up late talent when you know what it looks like. Hopefully Rouse is one of those guys.


There is nothing more annoying than Matttheagle and Shaddix ruining my arguments.

1) Jags and Spaz both had better transition classes than Addazio, this is really beyond question unless Rouse turns into a four year starter and NFL first round draft pick and Walsh starts (successfully) at QB for multiple years;
2) There is a significant mitigating factor that allows "1)" to not be legitimate grounds for the calling of the end times, most notably the well acknowledged Spaziani recruiting wrap up by September strategy. Examine the following: a) Jags walked into a 10 commit class (put aside the 10 win season the year before for the moment) in December of 2006 then Jeff Rieskamp decommitted and Willis left freeing up an additional scholarship. He had therefore, at least nine spots remaining. Jags did a very solid job under the time constraints as noted above. b) fast forward to the Spaz transition class, Jags left Spazoo with only 8 signees and he left targets that the Jags staff had been recruiting for months e.g. Kuechly, Finch and Naples not to mention significant portions of his staff e.g. Sirmans, Day, McGovern etc. Spaz had at least 9 spots remaining. Enter Addazio: He walks in the door with 17 signed players for a roster of 86 scholarship players (or 88 if you count the walk-ons the 'zoo gave schollies to). It has been accepted here as fact by those with whom I disagree that BC told Addazio he was honoring those scholarships. Thereafter, 4 recruits followed assistant coaches (Montesero) or new offers (Daniels[Iowa], Geiger [MSU]. Addazio brought in a former five star UF player at a position of need for a rental year, possible his kid (depending on if he takes a scholarship or not) and a QB the merits of whom are debatable elsewhere, the QB plus the perceived system cause an additional commit, Boyle, to leave. Rouse is taken after whiffs with Davis and Webb. I don't think it merits the words for why it is easier to recruit with nine+ spots than one or zero, but the bottomline is it is a poor comparison.
3) If someone needs a primer on why the current coach shouldn't be blamed for the recruiting ranking considering what he inherited vs. the other transition classes I suggest a single shot at the base of your skull for the good of the gene pool.


My point was that Jags' recruits were also 2 stars. Who's to say that this is a terrible class if you are comparing stars. Although i don't think it will be a good class, I'm willing to wait and see.


But there is a right now difference that makes that a poor argument. Specifically, Jags targeted certain players (castanzo, davis and gause are all examples of this) and went out and got them. Addazio targeted players and whiffed. The reason it is not all that big a deal is two fold: Jags was selling a volvo-audi level product and Addazio is selling a two year old Kia that spent Sandy under water and also Jags could throw a net and take some fliers whereas Addazio had to target at most one or two positions and/or players at a time.
Image
User avatar
eagle9903
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12006
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 pm
Karma: 2384

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 am

Shaddix wrote:
eagle9903 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
MattTheEagle wrote:Overall, it was a good day. I am not too concerned about not getting Robert Davis, whereas landing Patchan was huge. Patchan will be able to help us from Day 1.

This whole HJS stupidity of Addazio recruiting worse than Spaz is horseshit. You inevitably lose a few recruits from coaching changes, particularly when you completely clean house with the staff (which the fact that only Washington remains is a very very good thing). HJS is being a moron for believing that if Addazio was a good recruiter he would have significantly improved this class come signing day. Look at Golden's 2011 class, it sucks, and arguably worse than Spaz's 2011 class. At best Addazio would land maybe one or two quality recruits in 2013. The real test is for the 2014 class, and I have reasons to believe Addazio will do a very good job.


I made some legit excused for Addazio, especially regarding the available schollies, but this is dumb. When Jags got here he landed Momah, Newman, Costanzo, Gause, Dom Davis, Spinney, Elliot and Chris Johnson, and closed on Eason. That's a QB, 2 starting linemen, a starting DE, a contributing WR, a starting corner, and three washouts. Two of the guys, Costanzo and Gause, started from Day 1, and one is in the NFL as a first round pick.

It's not as hard to pick up late talent when you know what it looks like. Hopefully Rouse is one of those guys.


There is nothing more annoying than Matttheagle and Shaddix ruining my arguments.

1) Jags and Spaz both had better transition classes than Addazio, this is really beyond question unless Rouse turns into a four year starter and NFL first round draft pick and Walsh starts (successfully) at QB for multiple years;
2) There is a significant mitigating factor that allows "1)" to not be legitimate grounds for the calling of the end times, most notably the well acknowledged Spaziani recruiting wrap up by September strategy. Examine the following: a) Jags walked into a 10 commit class (put aside the 10 win season the year before for the moment) in December of 2006 then Jeff Rieskamp decommitted and Willis left freeing up an additional scholarship. He had therefore, at least nine spots remaining. Jags did a very solid job under the time constraints as noted above. b) fast forward to the Spaz transition class, Jags left Spazoo with only 8 signees and he left targets that the Jags staff had been recruiting for months e.g. Kuechly, Finch and Naples not to mention significant portions of his staff e.g. Sirmans, Day, McGovern etc. Spaz had at least 9 spots remaining. Enter Addazio: He walks in the door with 17 signed players for a roster of 86 scholarship players (or 88 if you count the walk-ons the 'zoo gave schollies to). It has been accepted here as fact by those with whom I disagree that BC told Addazio he was honoring those scholarships. Thereafter, 4 recruits followed assistant coaches (Montesero) or new offers (Daniels[Iowa], Geiger [MSU]. Addazio brought in a former five star UF player at a position of need for a rental year, possible his kid (depending on if he takes a scholarship or not) and a QB the merits of whom are debatable elsewhere, the QB plus the perceived system cause an additional commit, Boyle, to leave. Rouse is taken after whiffs with Davis and Webb. I don't think it merits the words for why it is easier to recruit with nine+ spots than one or zero, but the bottomline is it is a poor comparison.
3) If someone needs a primer on why the current coach shouldn't be blamed for the recruiting ranking considering what he inherited vs. the other transition classes I suggest a single shot at the base of your skull for the good of the gene pool.


My point was that Jags' recruits were also 2 stars. Who's to say that this is a terrible class if you are comparing stars. Although i don't think it will be a good class, I'm willing to wait and see.


The Jags recruits that worked out best were 2 stars. Elliot and Eason were 4* - granted TOB was hitting them up, but Jags closed. Spinney was 3* and stolen from a D1 school. But yes, Gause, Costanzo, Davis, Newman and Momah were 2* or less.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 20694
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 1528

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:19 am

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:Image


Is there an invisible conte ghost in the picture that I am missing?
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9741
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Japan
Karma: 9

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 am

hansen wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:Image


Is there an invisible conte ghost in the picture that I am missing?


nope - it's a bad day for me to realize these nerd attention whores will be graduates of my alma mater.
Boston College Basketball
Buell, Ryan
DeLuca, Fred
Harper, Valerie
James, Clive
Johnson, Wilko
Redner, Joe
Simon, Sam
Thorson, Scott
Travis, Randy
Yousafzai, Malala
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9695
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 3821

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 am

NERDS.

Image
Image
User avatar
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall
 
Posts: 6639
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:14 pm
Karma: 1160

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby 31southst on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Apparently BC offered a preferred walk-on spot to punter Shane Tripucka, son of former Eagle Chris. He chose to walk on at A&M instead. I wonder what the price difference is between the two.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/33440/ua-all-american-p-tripucka-to-join-am

Under Armour All-American punter Shane Tripucka had several schools to choose from. But something about Texas A&M just felt right.

So on Thursday, he committed to the Aggies.

Three-star punter Shane Tripucka will be a preferred walk-on at Texas A&M.Tripucka, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound punter from Allen (Texas) High School, will join the Aggies as a preferred walk-on next season after informing head coach Kevin Sumlin and special teams coach Jeff Banks that he's A&M-bound.

"A&M, I talked to the coaches, I know they want me," Tripucka said. "They come down and see me, they call me all the time. It really felt like a good place to be....It feels like a great place to play football and a great choice for me."

Tripucka had a scholarship offer to Sam Houston State and had preferred walk-on opportunities to Texas, Texas Tech and Boston College.

Tripucka attended an A&M kicking camp over the summer and was originally recruited by former Aggies' special teams coach Brian Polian. Banks picked up where Polian left off when Polian left to become Nevada's head coach, making Tripucka one of his first calls.

"Both special teams coaches knew what they were doing," Tripucka said. "They knew about the position and cared about having good special teams and good kickers because it was important to them.

"When coach Polian left to Nevada, coach Banks called me right away. He just went from there and he was great and I really like him because he's a coach who has been in my situation before, being a punter. He knows what he's talking about and the technical parts of punting and kicking and I just really liked him."

At Allen, Tripucka was part of a team that won the Texas Class 5A Division I state championship this year. He averaged 42 yards per punt for the Eagles and his father Chris, who played for Boston College, said opponents have no punt return yardage against Shane in two seasons because of his consistent hangtime.

"It takes a huge weight off my chest," Tripucka said. "For the last two years, I've been working my butt off to get noticed by these schools. To finally have a decision, it makes you feel a lot better."

Tripucka is the second specialist in the 2013 class to receive a preferred walk-on opportunity at Texas A&M. Dallas/Jesuit kicker Cody Wicker, teammate of Texas A&M linebacker signee Jordan Mastrogiovanni, accepted an opportunity to be a preferred walk-on at Texas A&M as a placekicker according to his coach, Brandon Hickman.
31southst
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:30 pm
Karma: 160

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby wildcat81 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 am

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
maxwell22 wrote:If yesterday was "a good day overall", what the hell does a bad day look like?


That bad day was turned to good. The script was flipped.
wildcat81
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:20 am
Karma: 2

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:43 pm

John Johnson received offers from Pitt, Missouri and Duke after signing. This is apropos of nothing.
Image
User avatar
eagle9903
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12006
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 pm
Karma: 2384

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby BCdee on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:01 pm

When will Patchan be enrolled at BC? Anyone know? I really hope our big nasties are back this year. I want a tough o-line back!
GO EAGLES!
User avatar
BCdee
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3135
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:07 am
Location: SC
Karma: 619

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby Shaddix on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:19 pm

BCdee wrote:When will Patchan be enrolled at BC? Anyone know? I really hope our big nasties are back this year. I want a tough o-line back!


He has one year, and it will be this upcoming season
Shaddix
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 pm
Karma: 2

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby Shaddix on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Don Brown is going to LOVE Matt Milano, wouldn't be surprised if he saw significant time next season.
Shaddix
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 pm
Karma: 2

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:15 pm

The DB group in generally is going to be really good all 3 are underrated. Ntantang is a helluva athlete.
Follow on twitter @AdamCoelhoTR
theringer.icyboards.net
bceagles24
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 am
Karma: 110

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:29 pm

For years the BC admin has been in denial about the bad condition of the football program. This recruiting class is part of the problem not part of the solution so I think they still really don't "get it". Recruiting another year of "good kids" who really aren't competitive at the BCS level isn't fair to anyone. Rebounding from this deep hole that Spaz and Greasy Gene dug isn't guaranteed and this blown recruiting class pretty much guarantees another year in that dark hole. 2-3 wins a year is the new norm and that makes recruiting that more difficult. It takes more than ducking UCONN to make BC a competitive program again.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 am
Karma: -222

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests

Untitled document