Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Walsh601 wrote:According to Blauds, BB has been authorized to pay up to $2 mil per.

That's really not that great. But, it's plenty enough to hire any of the main targets. But, you can cross Mullen, Golden, BOB off the list (as if it was ever really going to happen).
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:06 pm

If true, it would also mean Cal could easily outbid us for Roman.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:08 pm

HJS wrote:
Walsh601 wrote:According to Blauds, BB has been authorized to pay up to $2 mil per.

That's really not that great. But, it's plenty enough to hire any of the main targets. But, you can cross Mullen, Golden, BOB off the list (as if it was ever really going to happen).

how the fuck would he know?
2001Eagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 pm

2001Eagle wrote:
HJS wrote:

Really??? Because they make more in their current positions.

Oh... of course... BC should ask if they want to pay millions to their current employer in order to come work at BC for less money (and possibly in a CUSA-like conference). That has about as much chance of happening as you getting a clue.
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:43 pm

HJS wrote:
2001Eagle wrote:
HJS wrote:

Oh... of course... BC should ask if they want to pay millions to their current employer in order to come work at BC for less money (and possibly in a CUSA-like conference). That has about as much chance of happening as you getting a clue.

I think he meant "how does that fat ass misspellathon know that Bating Brad's going to spend $2 million?" At least that's how I read it
Wikipedia wrote:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Walsh601 wrote:If true, it would also mean Cal could easily outbid us for Roman.

What NFL coordinator has gotten $2 million when he took a head job in college? I am sure there might be one or two. But they were probably the hottest commodities going. Roman is not necessarily even the most sought after guy on the staff. While Roman is attractive, he might not be in Cal's top 3 at all. I could easily see Mike MacIntyre, Gary Anderson, and Tim DeRuyter as coaches higher up on their list who are all attainable. Let alone some guys they might pay up for. For the record I like Roman.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:06 pm

To compare, here's a few schools currently paying around $2 mil for their HC:

Northwestern - Pat Fitzgerald (1.8 mil)
Mich. St. - Mark Dantonio(1.83)
Arizona - RichRod (1.91)
Kansas St. - Bill Snyder (1.95)
Clemson - Dabo (1.95, but they're also paying their OC 1.2 mil)
Miami - Al Golden (2.0)
Maryland - Randy Edsall (2.0)
Utah - Kyle Whittingham (2.0)
USF - Skip Holtz (2.0)
ASU - Todd Grahm (2.0)
Texas A&M - Kevin Sumlin (2.0)
Virginia - Mike London (2.1)
Texas Tech - Tommy Tubberville (2.1)
Wake Forest - Jim Grobe (2.2)
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:06 pm

BCWest wrote:
Walsh601 wrote:If true, it would also mean Cal could easily outbid us for Roman.

What NFL coordinator has gotten $2 million when he took a head job in college? I am sure there might be one or two. But they were probably the hottest commodities going. Roman is not necessarily even the most sought after guy on the staff. While Roman is attractive, he might not be in Cal's top 3 at all. I could easily see Mike MacIntyre, Gary Anderson, and Tim DeRuyter as coaches higher up on their list who are all attainable. Let alone some guys they might pay up for. For the record I like Roman.

Didn't PSU just give BOB $2.3mm? Outside of BC, I don't recall his name being linked to any other jobs.

I think if we are hiring someone like Strong, Calhoun, Mendenhall, PCJ or Roman, we will have to pay $2mm. Diaco may also command that if more than one school is involved. However, the MAC coaches, Narduzzi, Wilder, Cristobal or similar candidates won't get that and will have to be happy with something like $1.5.
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Strong already makes $2.3 mil.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Charlie Strong is in the top 10 of coaching salaries now, and Louisville's AD Jurich has gone on record in saying that he would match any offer Strong would get to stay at Louisville.
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm

bluefishskip wrote:Charlie Strong is in the top 10 of coaching salaries now, and Louisville's AD Jurich has gone on record in saying that he would match any offer Strong would get to stay at Louisville.

$2.3 mil is not a top ten salary, the top 15 make $3 mil plus.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Arkansas just offered Les Miles the job.
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 pm

The point is that $2mm per is PLENTY of coin to land any of the quality names usually mentioned:
Troy Calhoun
Bob Diaco
Greg Roman
Pete Carmichael Jr
Mark Hudspeth
Butch Jones
Dave Doeren
Mike Sullivan
Sonny Dykes
Gus Malzahn
Willie Taggart Jr
Darrell Hazell
Bobby Wilder
Mario Cristobal
Pat Narduzzi
Pete Lembo

Actually, I think $2mm would be overpaying for anyone outside the Top 6 on that list.
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:35 pm

HJS wrote:BOB's buyout is nearly $10mm??? Let me say this again... BC will not hire any coach with a significant buyout. And, in all honesty, when you have coaches like Roman available who will require no buyout, why would you unless you were certain to be getting Saban?

Hard to hold a guy to a buy out if it was committed as part of a fraud. When BOB leaves, I say when not if, he will not pay a dime.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:39 pm

BCWest wrote:
HJS wrote:BOB's buyout is nearly $10mm??? Let me say this again... BC will not hire any coach with a significant buyout. And, in all honesty, when you have coaches like Roman available who will require no buyout, why would you unless you were certain to be getting Saban?

Hard to hold a guy to a buy out if it was committed as part of a fraud. When BOB leaves, I say when not if, he will not pay a dime.

He ain't coming to BC. I would've loved to have him, but it ain't happening. Besides, he makes more than $2 already. That said, how was it fraud? He apparently negotiated a provision that awarded him 4 additional years if they got hit with sanctions. So, he clearly thought it a possibility. He should've negotiated a provision allowing him to leave instead.
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:46 pm

Sorry, Top 30 on Strong. Point being, he's not coming to BC (with Bonuses, Strong reaches 14th)
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby fs33 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 pm

HJS wrote:Arkansas just offered Les Miles the job.

5 years $27.5M
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:06 pm

Sonny Dykes interviewing at NC State tomorrow.....
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 pm

In trying to read the tea leaves with Bates, I have to think that his hiring of Don Treadwell at Miami will greatly influence his decision at BC.

Lembo, Doeren and Hazell were all hired at the same time as Treadwell. Is BB willing to essentially admit that they were all better choices (by picking one as our new head coach)? If he is disappointed in Treadwell (an assistant off of D'Antonio's staff), is he going to go back to D'Antonio's staff for Narduzzi? If he now feels that Treadwell was too safe a pick, wouldn't he feel the same way about hiring PCJ?

Of course, if he still feels that Treadwell was a stupendous hire, then it probably bodes well for PCJ and Narduzzi (or even the MAC coach candidates who are so impressive that they were able to beat Miami).
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:09 pm

bluefishskip wrote:Sonny Dykes interviewing at NC State tomorrow.....

That's a solid move for NCS. I think that's a very good fit for both. Hudspeth and Malzahn would also be a strong options for them. Those are precisely the types of coaches that Yow and the Pack fans are looking for.

Btw, I like these programs filling up without making a dent in our list of top candidates. I
Cal seems to have a ton of overlap with us (http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... rch-begins). Let's hope they make a run at McIntyre, DeRuyter, Ron Rivera or Hue Jackson.
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 pm

HJS wrote:
bluefishskip wrote:Sonny Dykes interviewing at NC State tomorrow.....

That's a solid move for NCS. I think that's a very good fit for both. Hudspeth and Malzahn would also be a strong options for them. Those are precisely the types of coaches that Yow and the Pack fans are looking for.

Btw, I like these programs filling up without making a dent in our list of top candidates. I
Cal seems to have a ton of overlap with us (http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... rch-begins). Let's hope they make a run at McIntyre, DeRuyter, Ron Rivera or Hue Jackson.

Agree 100%. MacIntyre would be one of the top 5 or so candidates on my list but not much interest in the other guys you mention. FWIW my wish list (I think Golden is a longshot but realistic, BOB isn't realistic nor is Mullen unless we're willing to really break the bank) in order right now: Golden, Diaco, Roman, Doeren, MacIntyre, Hazell.....would be very happy with any of those 6 (provided Hazell doesn't plan on keeping Bollman around if hired). After those 6 I think there's a dropoff with the possible exception of PCJ....he's the real wild card, could be great but I just don't trust the fact that he has basically zero college experience.
PhillyandBCEagles
Campion Hall

Postby Buttercup on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:58 pm

My favorites, in order, of the realistic candidates.

The Dream: Golden
I'm Happy: Narduzzi, Doeren, Carmichael, Roman
Meh/Gonna Need to Prove it to me: Hazell, Diaco
Please No: Sullivan, Wilder, the field.
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Buttercup wrote:My favorites, in order, of the realistic candidates.

Why so much love of Narduzzi over Diaco, Hazell and Sullivan? Nards seems less accomplished and much more questionable a choice.
HJS
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Fire Spaz wrote:
HJS wrote:
2001Eagle wrote:
HJS wrote:

I think he meant "how does that fat ass misspellathon know that Bating Brad's going to spend $2 million?" At least that's how I read it

This. Thx.
2001Eagle
Campion Hall

Postby Buttercup on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 pm

HJS wrote:
Buttercup wrote:My favorites, in order, of the realistic candidates.

Why so much love of Narduzzi over Diaco, Hazell and Sullivan? Nards seems less accomplished and much more questionable a choice.

I feel like Narduzzi could have been a MAC coach by now if that's what he really wanted to jump at. Might have been able to get the Akron job last year. So I'm not going to hold lack of head coaching experience against him, at least against MAC guys who haven't been in charge very long anyway. I also think, all else being equal, having some local ties are a nice bonus. I used to be higher on Diaco, and maybe it's just Domers trying to downplay him, but I worry about the rumors of him having some personality issues. After Spaz, I really want someone who is going to connect with the players so we're not seeing stagnation, doghousing, cliques all over again. Hazell has a little of that too good to be true vibe about him... long time hotshot recruiter, and he's from NJ, but this season may be a flash in the pan. I hope he has a vision for the kind of program he wants to create. I have nothing against a guy being ambitious and doing well enough here to get the opportunity to move up, but I worry Hazell may take that to the nth degree. I don't get Sullivan at all. First year coordinator riding on the tails of Schiano... long removed from the college game and when he was a college coach it was as a MAC/Army assistant. I think he's only on the list because of the Coughlin connection. It would be like hiring Gilbride 16 years ago.
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:32 pm

for those with ESPNU, Kent State/Darrell Hazell behind the scenes show for the next 30 minutes started at 1130 EST
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby Buttercup on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:40 pm

bluefishskip wrote:for those with ESPNU, Kent State/Darrell Hazell behind the scenes show for the next 30 minutes started at 1130 EST

Kent State freshman kicker: I'd hit it.
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:03 am

I'd really like to see Bates bring in someone with a BC history. Someone like Swepson, Treadwell, or even Bick (minus the disastrous zone blocking scheme).

I think you want someone who is going to see BC as a destination and not a stepping stone.

This post was solely intended to antagonize HJS.
Reverend Mike
Cushing Hall

Postby whalepants on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:07 am

Reverend Mike wrote:I'd really like to see Bates bring in someone with a BC history. Someone like Swepson, Treadwell, or even Bick (minus the disastrous zone blocking scheme).

I think you want someone who is going to see BC as a destination and not a stepping stone.

This post was solely intended to antagonize HJS.

TOM O'BRIEN
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 am

According to Bruce Feldman, Pat Narduzzi is the early frontrunner.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium