is peyton manning the best QB of all time?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

is peyton manning the best QB of all time?

Postby Eagledom on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:41 pm

only one super bowl...but if you just look at his ability to pick apart and read a D before the snap, is he the best?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Re: is peyton manning the best QB of all time?

Postby talon on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:43 pm

pinhead #2 says it's Matt Ryan.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:57 pm

The answer is quite simply, no.

John Elway, Joe Montana and Tom Brady say hello. I'd add Johnny Unitas and Dan Marino. Then Manning, followed by Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Dan Fouts and Jim Kelly.

Honorable mention to Terry Bradshaw, who actually sucked as a QB but won (think Trent Dilfer, pre-free agency) and Warren Moon. Fuck Brett Farve.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby billyshelby on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:00 pm

I wouldn't put anyone over Montana. You can rearrange 2 through 5 any way you want.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:00 pm

Sammy Baugh
Otto Graham
Johnny Unitas
Bart Starr
Joe Montana
Bobby Layne
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:01 pm

This can't be a serious question. 2bg9 has the right guys ID'd. For me, It's Montana, Elway but Brady has a shot to pass both but he has a ways to go to catch Montana for sure.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:06 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:I wouldn't put anyone over Montana. You can rearrange 2 through 5 any way you want.

I wasn't ranking them, just listing the 5 guys I'd have in front of Manning. For me, Manning is 6. If I had to rank them, it would probably be Montana, Elway, Brady, Unitas, Marino, Manning, Fouts, Staubach, Aikman, Kelly.

The old guys are nice, 74, but it was a different era. They just didn't chuck it the way they have since the 70s.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The answer is quite simply, no.

John Elway, Joe Montana and Tom Brady say hello. I'd add Johnny Unitas and Dan Marino. Then Manning, followed by Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Dan Fouts and Jim Kelly.

Honorable mention to Terry Bradshaw, who actually sucked as a QB but won (think Trent Dilfer, pre-free agency) and Warren Moon. Fuck Brett Farve.

I would put manning above brady. Terry Bradshaw proved you could be an good QB and win championships with the right system and teammates (as does Roethlisberger), but that championships should not be the only measure if you are talking purely about great QUARTERBACKS. Winners, leaders, yeah...but I am just taliking about the ultimate weapons at QB. Manning has to be top 1 -3. And Manning is certainly WAY ahead of Elway. Unitas I can't comment on. Aikman was great, but I can't put him up there for the same reason I can't put Emmit Smith among the ranks of Walter Payton.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby branchinator on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:08 pm

Here are Peyton Manning's game-by-game stats in the 2006 playoffs, the year he "won" his title:

Wild Card (Chiefs):
30-38 268 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT

Divisional (Ravens):
15-30 170, 0 TD, 2 INT

Championship (Patriots):
27-47 349, 1 TD, 1 INT

Super Bowl (Bears):
25-38 247, 1 TD, 1 INT

In 4 games, that's 3 TDs and 7 INTs. The simple answer is....no. The guy is great when he plays inferior competition though.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:15 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Here are Peyton Manning's game-by-game stats in the 2006 playoffs, the year he "won" his title:

Wild Card (Chiefs):

Divisional (Ravens):
15-30 170, 0 TD, 2 INT

Championship (Patriots):
27-47 349, 1 TD, 1 INT

Super Bowl (Bears):
25-38 247, 1 TD, 1 INT

In 4 games, that's 3 TDs and 7 INTs. The simple answer is....no. The guy is great when he plays inferior competition though.

interesting, maybe I am overstating it....

but I still think Bradshaw was terribly overrated and that Manning is above Elway and Aikman. Brady and Montana are great, but Manning probably would have been better on "bad" teams than them.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:17 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

I would put manning above brady. Terry Bradshaw proved you could be an good QB and win championships with the right system and teammates (as does Roethlisberger), but that championships should not be the only measure if you are talking purely about great QUARTERBACKS. Winners, leaders, yeah...but I am just taliking about the ultimate weapons at QB. Manning has to be top 1 -3. And Manning is certainly WAY ahead of Elway. Unitas I can't comment on. Aikman was great, but I can't put him up there for the same reason I can't put Emmit Smith among the ranks of Walter Payton.

Anyone that would put anyone other than Montana or Brady above Elway is a complete fucktard. John Elway was one of the most talented men ever to play QB and played in 5 or 6 Super Bowls, winning two, and losing 4 when he had absolutely NO talent around him. Think about those defenses for Denver - Karl Mecklenburg and Tom Jackson were the only legit NFL talents. Sammy fucking Winder was the running back. And the stupid three amigos were the receivers - Ricky fucky Natiel was the star. Put John Elway in SF, and he wins this discussion hands down. Like Elway, this is why I give Kelly the nod for the top 10. Those two guys willed their teams to Super Bowls multiple times.

Peyton Manning has shit the bed in the playoffs for multiple games, including the year he won the Super Bowl. For 6-7 years, he got completely embarassed annually by Bill Belichick on national TV.

Troy Aikman is the most accurate passer in NFL history. He's no Elway, Brady or Montana, but he is in the discussion with Manning.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:18 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Here are Peyton Manning's game-by-game stats in the 2006 playoffs, the year he "won" his title:

Wild Card (Chiefs):

Divisional (Ravens):
15-30 170, 0 TD, 2 INT

Championship (Patriots):
27-47 349, 1 TD, 1 INT

Super Bowl (Bears):
25-38 247, 1 TD, 1 INT

Inferior competition....in the dome. He sucks outdoors.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:I wouldn't put anyone over Montana. You can rearrange 2 through 5 any way you want.

I wasn't ranking them, just listing the 5 guys I'd have in front of Manning. For me, Manning is 6. If I had to rank them, it would probably be Montana, Elway, Brady, Unitas, Marino, Manning, Fouts, Staubach, Aikman, Kelly.

The old guys are nice, 74, but it was a different era. They just didn't chuck it the way they have since the 70s.

You better check with Vader and the old Super8 back and whites.

Those guys could chuck it just as hard and with the old Duke which was less aerodynamic.

70's...try the 50's...LMAO!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:20 pm

And before you look it up, yes, I know that Chad fucking Pennington is technically the most accurate passer in NFL history.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:21 pm

Bradshaw was terribly overrated. In the whole Brady vs. Manning debate, everyone always mentions how Brady's teams always had the better defense. That was very true. However, what they conveniently overlook is the fact that Manning had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, etc. and a nice cushy dome his whole career whereas Brady had Troy Brown, David Patten, David Givens, etc. When Brady finally got the same weapons around him, he put up the best season in NFL history for a QB. Ultimately, Manning will break almost every passing record known to man. But, unless he actually has a signature playoff run culminating in a Super Bowl victory, I'm putting him in the Favre, Marino, etc. category, which is below the true elite category of Montana, Elway, and Brady.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:21 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You better check with Vader and the old Super8 back and whites.

Those guys could chuck it just as hard and with the old Duke which was less aerodynamic.

70's...try the 50's...LMAO!

Vader would agree with me on this one. With the exception of Unitas and maybe Slinging Sammy Baugh, none of those fogies belong in the conversation.

:vader
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Anyone that would put anyone other than Montana or Brady above Elway is a complete fucktard. John Elway was one of the most talented men ever to play QB and played in 5 or 6 Super Bowls, winning two, and losing 4 when he had absolutely NO talent around him. Think about those defenses for Denver - Karl Mecklenburg and Tom Jackson were the only legit NFL talents. Sammy fucking Winder was the running back. And the stupid three amigos were the receivers - Ricky fucky Natiel was the star. Put John Elway in SF, and he wins this discussion hands down. Like Elway, this is why I give Kelly the nod for the top 10. Those two guys willed their teams to Super Bowls multiple times.

Peyton Manning has shit the bed in the playoffs for multiple games, including the year he won the Super Bowl. For 6-7 years, he got completely embarassed annually by Bill Belichick on national TV.

Troy Aikman is the most accurate passer in NFL history. He's no Elway, Brady or Montana, but he is in the discussion with Manning.

OK. I hear your argument. But Montana certainly benefitted from a genius offesive design that was brand new when Bill Walsh implememted it...he basically threw shourt passes down the field and wasn't aked to read defenses as much as Manning. Everything is what you have around you....which is why I agree with the Elaway and Marinos being in the discussion even though they had shit. I think Montana was great, but benefitted TREMENDOUSLY by a system that a lot of QBs could have looked better in than their ability.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

OK. I hear your argument. But Montana certainly benefitted from a genius offesive design that was brand new when Bill Walsh implememted it...he basically threw shourt passes down the field and wasn't aked to read defenses as much as Manning. Everything is what you have around you....which is why I agree with the Elaway and Marinos being in the discussion even though they had shit. I think Montana was great, but benefitted TREMENDOUSLY by a system that a lot of QBs could have looked better in than their ability.

The four teams that Elway took to the Super Bowl were downright terrible. At least Kelly had Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and a mediocre defense led by Cornelius Bennett. Marino had Duper and Clayton, but Troy Stradford might have been his best RB. Elway is one of the only QBs in my lifetime that won games SINGLEHANDEDLY. I would day Fran Tarkenton as well, but he had a sick defense on the other side.

I agree with what you say about the system for Montana, but you can't deny how awesome that dude was. So freaking cool in the pocket - Brady has the same trait.

If you were building a mold for the perfect QB, John Elway would come out. If he had any defense or running game or WRs in his prime, he'd have tons of records AND have won 4-5 super bowls. Shit, at 37-38, when he had a great line, Tyrell Davis, Rod Smith, McCaffrey and a killer D he won back to back jobs easy. In my mind he pushes Montana for #1.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby billyshelby on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Montana was like Jordan. The bigger the game, the better he played.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Elway played with D's that were way better than what Peyton :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :whammy :shock :dildodog :angrychicken :ginger :toby :suicide :whiteflag :seanwilliams :duchE :popcorn :gun :koolaid :banana :quadlaser :titanic
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:35 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:Elway played with D's that were way better than what Peyton :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :whammy :shock :dildodog :angrychicken :ginger :toby :suicide :whiteflag :seanwilliams :duchE :popcorn :gun :koolaid :banana :quadlaser :titanic

The last two years. The first 4 super bowl years, the Broncos defense was downright horrid. Bob Sanders and Dwight Freeney alone were a better defense than the mid 80s Broncos.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:19 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}: championships should not be the only measure if you are talking purely about great QUARTERBACKS. Winners, leaders, yeah...but I am just taliking about the ultimate weapons at QB. Manning has to be top 1 -3. And Manning is certainly WAY ahead of Elway.

This post makes no sense. Elway WAS the ultimate weapon. He was the best player on the field every single game. The only reason he's not considered the best quarterback of all time is because Joe Montana exists, and because, as Teddy pointed out, for about a decade none of his teammates had any business even talking to him about football, let alone playing on the same team. The Broncos made the Super Bowl four times with teams that would've gone 7-9 at best with an average quarterback.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium