Bring back Reebok!!!

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Bring back Reebok!!!

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Those all maroon unis we wore today (and on the nationally televised fisting by FSU) are the worst uniforms ever worn by a BC football team. I long for the slanty numbers. Actually, I sat down and thumbed through the BC Football Vault and looked at our uniforms throughout the years. I'm sure a lot of my feelings are colored by the success of the particular vintage. But, here are my favorites:
1. The throwback Reebok made for us one year during the Will Blackmon era. They were very similar to the Flutie unis but no numbers on the sleeve. Actually, they were essentially a maroon-and-gold version of Auburn.
2. Henning's 1995/6/7 unis. Essentially the exact same as Coughlin's unis, but better fitting (the Coughlin jersey's always seemed 3 sizes too big). These were our last year with Champion.
3. Jags 2007 unis. Introduced the all-whites. First year Reebok delivered maroon instead of Reebok Red.
4. Early TOBy (1999). We just moved to Reebok from Starter. This was also just before we rolled out the slanty numbers.
5. 1986 (Mike Ruth's team).
6. 1993
7. 1984

Nonetheless, the Arena League shit these kids are forced to wear is an embarrassment.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Bring back Reebok!!!

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:36 pm

I like them.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I like them.

Kato likes them also.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby JConman on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:28 pm

I am happy that the slanty numbers are gone. I hate the fact that the names on the back are microscopic. Not a big fan of the maroon unitard look (although the all maroons we wore against Boise in the bowl were worse). If they fixed the names on the back they'd be much better.
The Coughlin jerseys were not too big, I just think that was still the giant shoulder pad era.
Lastly, the worst BC unis bar none were the ones from the early TOB era (1998?) that were reebok red and had BCBCBC going around the collar and sleeve.
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby NorthEndEagle on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Those all maroon unis we wore today (and on the nationally televised fisting by FSU) are the worst uniforms ever worn by a BC football team. I long for the slanty numbers. Actually, I sat down and thumbed through the BC Football Vault and looked at our uniforms throughout the years. I'm sure a lot of my feelings are colored by the success of the particular vintage. But, here are my favorites:
1. The throwback Reebok made for us one year during the Will Blackmon era. They were very similar to the Flutie unis but no numbers on the sleeve. Actually, they were essentially a maroon-and-gold version of Auburn.
2. Henning's 1995/6/7 unis. Essentially the exact same as Coughlin's unis, but better fitting (the Coughlin jersey's always seemed 3 sizes too big). These were our last year with Champion.
3. Jags 2007 unis. Introduced the all-whites. First year Reebok delivered maroon instead of Reebok Red.
4. Early TOBy (1999). We just moved to Reebok from Starter. This was also just before we rolled out the slanty numbers.
6. 1993
7. 1984

Nonetheless, the Arena League shit these kids are forced to wear is an embarrassment.

We wore the throw backs once when we played Rutgers in 2004. It was the 20th anniversary of the Hail-Mary.
CONSIDER THIS ACCOUNT CLOSED
NorthEndEagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:34 pm

NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Those all maroon unis we wore today (and on the nationally televised fisting by FSU) are the worst uniforms ever worn by a BC football team. I long for the slanty numbers. Actually, I sat down and thumbed through the BC Football Vault and looked at our uniforms throughout the years. I'm sure a lot of my feelings are colored by the success of the particular vintage. But, here are my favorites:
6. 1993
7. 1984

We wore the throw backs once when we played Rutgers in 2004. It was the 20th anniversary of the Hail-Mary.

Thanks for breaking your self-banishment to answer this question. Was racking my brain for it. It was a team that had Ty Hall, Brandon Robinson and Will Blackmon. The thing is that they weren't exactly like 84 as the stripes on the sleeve (a) only went half-way around and (b) took up a much bigger percent of the sleeve. Nonetheless, they were fucking awesome. The helmets didn't have a stripe for that game (I like the stripe).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Thank you Vinny... now I can put a pic with my comments.
This is what a BC uniform should look like. Simple. Unique. Historic.
Last edited by HJS on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:51 pm

JConman {l Wrote}:I am happy that the slanty numbers are gone. I hate the fact that the names on the back are microscopic. Not a big fan of the maroon unitard look (although the all maroons we wore against Boise in the bowl were worse). If they fixed the names on the back they'd be much better.
The Coughlin jerseys were not too big, I just think that was still the giant shoulder pad era.
Lastly, the worst BC unis bar none were the ones from the early TOB era (1998?) that were reebok red and had BCBCBC going around the collar and sleeve.

For a sUeConn guy I have to say your calling them maroon unitards is a perfect description. Maroon and Gold uniforms were pretty awesome, I am not sure why they decided to go with this shit show two home games in a row. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:58 pm

The unis from the Henning Era.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:10 pm

The unis this year simply suck. There really isn't any other way around it.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:49 pm

JConman {l Wrote}:Lastly, the worst BC unis bar none were the ones from the early TOB era (1998?) that were reebok red and had BCBCBC going around the collar and sleeve.

I don't know exactly when each of these Mike Cloud pics were taken. But, I love the first, don't mind the second, don't like the third. Still, I'd take the third over the fucktards they wore today.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:50 pm

The maroon pants are terrible and should be destroyed.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby JConman on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:47 am

The third Cloud pic is the terrible one I was referring to. I have a replca one- it's hideous.
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
JConman {l Wrote}:Lastly, the worst BC unis bar none were the ones from the early TOB era (1998?) that were reebok red and had BCBCBC going around the collar and sleeve.

I don't know exactly when each of these Mike Cloud pics were taken. But, I love the first, don't mind the second, don't like the third. Still, I'd take the third over the fucktards they wore today.

Third cloud photo is from '98. Reebok red! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:01 am

Done:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:21 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Done:

Yep. Those were my 3rd favorite. Those unis were pretty damn nice. Still think nothing beats the throwbacks from '04 but the little tweaks Jags made to TOB's last uniform were on the money.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:11 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Thank you Vinny... now I can put a pic with my comments.

Those uniforms are terrible. Yellow pants have always sucked. The helmet is gold, keep the pants white or maroon.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:12 am

I'll never understand why old men care so much about uniforms.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:15 am

As long as the gold pants are actually gold, like in the Cloud #3 and Ryan 07 pics, I like them. My problem is all of the years that BC has been marigold and reebok red instead of maroon and gold. The yellow is fine for the super nerds, but it has no place in the unis, regardless of whether it is better for TV.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:32 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:I'll never understand why old men care so much about uniforms.

I'll take Phil Knight's word regarding the importance of a team's uniform over yours.

My view is that you either blow it the fuck up like Nike does with Oregon or UA does with Maryland. Or you go pure old school with a design that is recognizable through the decades (Auburn, PSU, ND, USC, etc). Anything else is half-assed... which is not remotely surprising as the path chosen by BC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:35 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Done:

These unis without the slanty numbers and the shoulder eagles and with no stripe on the helmet would make me happy.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:14 am

I like pure gold helmets. Get rid of the stripe (s).
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:25 am

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:I like pure gold helmets. Get rid of the stripe (s).

Agreed. Stripes suck everywhere, especially half stripes on the sleeves. They are most acceptable on the pants.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:30 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:48 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Image

Thank you for picking two good examples of stripes I don't like. College football over USFL always.

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:52 am

Another classic uni that BC could easily copy. Image
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Thank you Vinny... now I can put a pic with my comments.

That was the game that JCAABRG, matched up against the Prince of Africa most of the time, set the record for most penalty yards in a single game, if such a record existed.

As for the uniforms, I like the ones that Wayne Fontes was going to switch us to if he had gotten the job. These in maroon and gold:

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:56 am

I second the awesomeness of the Detroit Lions alternative unis of the 90s in maroon and actual gold. Which has basically been my point from the beginning.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:54 pm

I can't believe someone doesn't like Auburn's uniforms. Nonetheless, nothing tw presented as his ideal (which is literally the most basic definition of a uniform (i.e. 2 solid colors with nothing else) is in the same universe as the Arena Football shit we rolled out yesterday/this year.

BTW... calling uniforms with striping (especially half striping on the jersey) USFL, shows a complete lack of knowledge of what real football teams wear (see, USC, OSU, Auburn, Texas,, UCLA, VT, LSU, UF... I could go on and on and on). I'd also note that one of the pics supported (Oklahoma) has some major striping on the pants. Nonetheless, I'd happily take a PSU version of BC's uniforms. Essentially, ANYTHING other than the wrestling unitards the kids are forced to wear these days.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Can't stand sleeve stripes and don't really like stripes on the helmet, especially multiple colors. Don't mind them on the pants, but don't prefer that.

PSU unis in maroon and gold would be my second choice after the ND/Detroit Lions uniforms in maroon and gold. Old school rules.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium