can we talk sox here for a second?

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

can we talk sox here for a second?

Postby tailgater94 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Wait, how many times did Ortiz get hit this weekend? Right, zero. He is a bigger bitch that post-injury Tom Brady.
tailgater94
Carney Hall

Re: can we talk sox here for a second?

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:48 pm

(1) it's not Ortiz's fault that Kevin Gregg and the Orioles suck so bad that Gregg tried to hit him 3 different times and missed every single time. That was pathetic.
(2) Youd be pissed too if the pitcher tried to hit you time after time.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:10 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:(1) it's not Ortiz's fault that Kevin Gregg and the Orioles suck so bad that Gregg tried to hit him 3 different times and missed every single time. That was pathetic.
(2) Youd be pissed too if the pitcher tried to hit you time after time.

I would gladly get hit and raise my OBP. You have no idea of the bruises I got from leaning into a pitch.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 am

The Orioles are honestly pathetic. Their fans bitch and moan about the Red Sox high payroll. As I recall, the O's used to spend routinely over $100 back in the late 90's. Baltimore has done such a horrible job of drafting and talent development (not sure how Andy McPhale still has a job). The Sox have 3 big FA right now (Drew, Crawford & Lackey). Last time I checked all three of those guys were playing awful and having little to do with why the Sox are in 1st Place.

Stop whining Orioles fans because your Management is incompetent.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:55 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The Orioles are honestly pathetic. Their fans bitch and moan about the Red Sox high payroll. As I recall, the O's used to spend routinely over $100 back in the late 90's. Baltimore has done such a horrible job of drafting and talent development (not sure how Andy McPhale still has a job). The Sox have 3 big FA right now (Drew, Crawford & Lackey). Last time I checked all three of those guys were playing awful and having little to do with why the Sox are in 1st Place.

Actually, I think O's fans know this. They've organized several staged walk-outs in protest of ownership, and they're right. Their woes begin and end with Angelos. The only smart hire that man has made was Gillick, and Angelos didn't/couldn't retain him beyond his initial 3-year contract (granted neither could Seattle despite their best efforts). Ever since, is has been nothing but bad hires, micro-managing and excuses coming out of that front office.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:40 am

The Orioles are probably still paying Albert Belle.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:42 am

tailgater94 {l Wrote}:Wait, how many times did Ortiz get hit this weekend? Right, zero. He is a bigger bitch that post-injury Tom Brady.

Actually the real bitches are AL pitchers who try to hit guys by "disrespecting" them when they know they won't have to face any pitches.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
tailgater94 {l Wrote}:Wait, how many times did Ortiz get hit this weekend? Right, zero. He is a bigger bitch that post-injury Tom Brady.

Actually the real bitches are AL pitchers who try to hit guys by "disrespecting" them when they know they won't have to face any pitches.

This is pretty much whiney bullshit. Part of the game, always has been, and needs to be. NL pitchers do the same thing. If they don't, they won't last long.

More headhunting would be good for the game, not less. And if pitchers weren't so fucking scared to hit people, we might have more than 8-10 guys that could actually be a starting pitcher in this league. Guys like Jeter and Youkilis would have been dead 40 years ago if they dove out over the plate like they do. And when they adjusted to protect themselves, they would have hit .250 instead of .300.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

This is pretty much whiney bullshit. Part of the game, always has been, and needs to be. NL pitchers do the same thing. If they don't, they won't last long.

More headhunting would be good for the game, not less. And if pitchers weren't so fucking scared to hit people, we might have more than 8-10 guys that could actually be a starting pitcher in this league. Guys like Jeter and Youkilis would have been dead 40 years ago if they dove out over the plate like they do. And when they adjusted to protect themselves, they would have hit .250 instead of .300.

Just to get this straight you're advocating for throwing at guys heads?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Evidently you didn't see what Gregg did. He didn't throw at Papi's head, and moreover, he missed him. When I say "headhunting" I don't mean it literally, I mean "liberally throwing at guys." I advocate it mostly to make hot players uncomfortable and to get divers off of the plate, but the occasional "unwritten rule enforcement" doesn't bother me in the least.

No, no one should throw at the head unless it is an accident. But drilling them in their fucking ribs should be part of the game. Don't like it, play cricket.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:30 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i think anyone that squares early to bunt should be hit in the nutsack. does that count?

Well, it's pretty stupid, but I have no problem with it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:47 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:but let's face it, when the nye mets are your favorite baseball squadron - a fastball to the nuts is somewhat of a relief

speaking of, this is the part where we hijack another sox thread. i look forward to beltran getting traded for a player to be named later in a straight salary dump. $6 million is $6 million, right Freddy?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Shredder on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:24 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:but let's face it, when the nye mets are your favorite baseball squadron - a fastball to the nuts is somewhat of a relief

speaking of, this is the part where we hijack another sox thread. i look forward to beltran getting traded for a player to be named later in a straight salary dump. $6 million is $6 million, right Freddy?

There'll be demand for Beltran. The Mets can be picky since he'll probably be a Type A free agent that'll give them two draft picks if they offer him arbitration and he signs elsewhere. Two minor leaguers with one of them being a decent prospect will probably be what it takes. I don't see the Red Sox parting with Reddick/Kalish or a pitcher for Beltran when they can get someone like Francoeur or Jeff Baker for less.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:
There'll be demand for Beltran. The Mets can be picky since he'll probably be a Type A free agent that'll give them two draft picks if they offer him arbitration and he signs elsewhere. Two minor leaguers with one of them being a decent prospect will probably be what it takes. I don't see the Red Sox parting with Reddick/Kalish or a pitcher for Beltran when they can get someone like Francoeur or Jeff Baker for less.

Language in Beltran's contract prevents the Mets from offering him arbitration. So they have little incentive to hold onto him unless they think they're making the playoffs, and other teams know this.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Shredder on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:55 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:

Language in Beltran's contract prevents the Mets from offering him arbitration. So they have little incentive to hold onto him unless they think they're making the playoffs, and other teams know this.

I didn't know that. That's an interesting clause.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Evidently you didn't see what Gregg did. He didn't throw at Papi's head, and moreover, he missed him. When I say "headhunting" I don't mean it literally, I mean "liberally throwing at guys." I advocate it mostly to make hot players uncomfortable and to get divers off of the plate, but the occasional "unwritten rule enforcement" doesn't bother me in the least.

No, no one should throw at the head unless it is an accident. But drilling them in their fucking ribs should be part of the game. Don't like it, play cricket.

Ah ok, I'm good then.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 am

Close...

KRod gone which isn't a surprise, there was no way they would pay that option.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:15 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Close...

KRod gone which isn't a surprise, there was no way they would pay that option.

Milwaukee is going all-in. It will be interesting to see how they react if something happens to Axford. The Brew Crew cannot afford to pay a reliever $17.5 million, but they also have to do everything they can to win this year. Would they really give the ball to LaTroy Hawkins in the ninth with K-Rod ready and willing to close?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:01 am

Axford's putting up better numbers than K-Rod so far this year (better K/9, similar BB/9, better WHIP), though it seems like K-Rod's been somewhat unlucky this year, especially on ground balls. Regardless, so long as Axford doesn't shit all over himself, and I imagine he'll have a decently long leash given his performance over the past year and half, K-Rod will have at most 2-2.5 months to finish out the 21 games that will get his option to vest.

This is also a lesson in why you don't pay closers top money unless they are named Mariano Rivera. Too much incosistency year over year.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

It's whiny bullshit when a guy gets drilled because he flipped his bat,took too long to run the bases, or something else to "disrespect" the pitcher. Joba Chamberlain drills guys for doing less than that, then he fistpumps and dances around like an ass every time he manages to get an out. The fat tub of goo doesn't have to bat, so one of his teammates gets plunked as a whipping boy. There's no justice. The only way anyone can get him back is by charging the mound.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

It's whiny bullshit when a guy gets drilled because he flipped his bat,took too long to run the bases, or something else to "disrespect" the pitcher. Joba Chamberlain drills guys for doing less than that, then he fistpumps and dances around like an ass every time he manages to get an out. The fat tub of goo doesn't have to bat, so one of his teammates gets plunked as a whipping boy. There's no justice. The only way anyone can get him back is by charging the mound.

It's always losers who do this type of stuff too. Winners get the opposition back by winning.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:25 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

It's always losers who do this type of stuff too. Winners get the opposition back by winning.

The Red Sox do this as often as any other team. And their worst battles have been with the Rays.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

The Red Sox do this as often as any other team. And their worst battles have been with the Rays.

The Red Sox usually don't drill people for breaking stupid unwritten rules ala Dallas Braden. They drill people in retaliation for getting drilled (or they're just pitching inside and legitimately miss, which happens on occasion to everyone who pitches inside).
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Baseball players are stupid and get pissed off for petty reasons.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:04 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Baseball players are stupid and get pissed off for petty reasons.

its because of all the 'roids*

*except for manny. that's just manny being manny

I mean I've been hit before from guys throwing in the 80s and 90s....it really hurts.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:20 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Baseball players are stupid and get pissed off for petty reasons.

its because of all the 'roids*

*except for manny. that's just manny being manny

I mean I've been hit before from guys throwing in the 80s and 90s....it really hurts.

Next time get out of the way, Slugger.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:38 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The Orioles are honestly pathetic. Their fans bitch and moan about the Red Sox high payroll. As I recall, the O's used to spend routinely over $100 back in the late 90's. Baltimore has done such a horrible job of drafting and talent development (not sure how Andy McPhale still has a job). The Sox have 3 big FA right now (Drew, Crawford & Lackey). Last time I checked all three of those guys were playing awful and having little to do with why the Sox are in 1st Place.

Foot has it right. And you recall incorrectly about their payroll. In fact your entire post is worthless and inaccurate. No wonder you never stray far from the "skinner sucks" and "4-8" jabber.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 pm

Would anyone have a real problem with Carlos Guillen getting drilled 100 times? Didn't think so.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:00 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Foot has it right. And you recall incorrectly about their payroll. In fact your entire post is worthless and inaccurate. No wonder you never stray far from the "skinner sucks" and "4-8" jabber.

I'll take 2 for 3.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:37 am

We are witnessing a wonderful example of the difference between regular season and playoff baseball. The Red Sox are having a dream season, steamrolling with near perfection (Youk and Crawford being exceptions). Until Clay's injury they had avoided major injuries (Lester missed 3 starts or so, but that's really nothing). They are destroying teams. At the same time, the Yankees have a rotation held together by duct tape, with retreads and a rookie filling out 3-5 (accepting that Hughes is probably spent and will be replaced by Nova). And 107 games into the season they are separated by one game. Pretty remarkable.

But now handicap those two teams in the playoffs. In my estimation, I'd put the Sox at about 2-1 to come out of the AL, with Yankees at 8-1. Starting pitching is the name of the game, and while the Yankees have been very lucky, I have no confidence in their ability to win a playoff series.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Next

Return to Shea Field