Reports of the Red Sox demise ...

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Reports of the Red Sox demise ...

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 20, 2011 9:22 pm

...were greatly exaggerated. That is all.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Re: Reports of the Red Sox demise ...

Postby flyingelvii on Sat May 21, 2011 1:31 pm

So you're trying to say a six game sample is not indicative of a team's true talent? I call bullshit on you good sir.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 21, 2011 1:47 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:So you're trying to say a six game sample is not indicative of a team's true talent? I call bullshit on you good sir.

Well, you know that no team that lost its first six ever made the playoffs, and all..
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun May 22, 2011 9:02 am

Mets only 2 games back of the sox... ;)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Mon May 23, 2011 1:39 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Mets only 2 games back of the sox... ;)

Your owner apparently hates his entire team except for David Wright and Ike Davis.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 23, 2011 1:45 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:

Your owner apparently hates his entire team except for David Wright and Ike Davis.

And his manager called out Jason Bay for missing two games in order to attend the birth of his child.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon May 23, 2011 10:55 pm

I think Daniel Bard has blown about 55 games so far this season.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 24, 2011 7:44 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:

Hey I hope the Coupon's Memorial Day BBQ has a gas explosion, that or he loses this Madoff lawsuit and is forced to sell the team.

Not that anyone cares but Terry Collins has been doing a hell of a job considering this crap talent he has.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Not that anyone cares but Terry Collins has been doing a hell of a job considering this crap talent he has.

So you agree with Wilpon?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 24, 2011 11:04 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Not that anyone cares but Terry Collins has been doing a hell of a job considering this crap talent he has.

In what sense? Do I agree with what he said? With some things. Do I think he should've said it? No.

Do I think Wright is a "superstar"?
No. He's a top 3rd baseman and the face of your franchise who has stuck up for you at every turn. This new ballpark that you built has ruined much of what made & makes him great. I wouldn't be talking shit about him.

Do I regret the Beltran signing?
Beltran didn't want to come here (he offered the Yanks a discount before signing with the Mets). He is an incredibly frustrating player. Great speed but steals when he wants to. Breaks a nail & misses a week. He's like Robbie Cano in the sense that he is so talented but the way he plays makes it look so non-chalant. He had absolutely monster years in years 2-4. Hit .278 averaged 34-113 20+ SB & won a gold glove every year. But it was a 7 year deal not a 4 year. Ultimately, the thing he'll be remembered for is leaving the bat on his shoulder against Wainwright.

Jose Reyes:
When healthy he's a top 3 all around SS in the game. I'm conflicted here, top 3 SS don't grow on trees and for a franchise that has produced so little in terms of homegrown talent giving away someone like that in their prime is tough to swallow. The thing is, he's going to be 28 next month but some owner is going to give him 6/7 years and I have a problem giving someone who relies on their legs and has had injury problems, a deal worth the money he'll get. 4 for 65? Done, but if you're going to lose him might as well trade him.

Why didn't Jason Bay get any ink? What a freaking bust (he is much better in the field than I thought he would be though). I love how they showed all the metrics that Bay is a better player for Citi than Holliday -shut up Coupon, you just didn't want to pay the extra $$.

I haven't read the article, I'll pick up the magazine tonight but those were the quotes that got the most time on the fan yesterday & today.

I'm sure you all got about 10798423 times the amount of Mets info you want but too bad.

But I'll still watch because my name is Claver2010 & I have a problem.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Wilpon points the finger at Beltran, Reyes and Wright when 3/5 of the rotation during the bulk of their time with the team was Oliver Perez, John Maine, and Mike Pelfrey. OK...

Given the current injury situation and the rotation he has to work with, I think Terry Collins has been doing just fine.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue May 24, 2011 11:08 am

The problem with Wilpon is that he seems to blame everyone in the world except for himself.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 24, 2011 11:12 am

So the reports of the Mets demise are still going as planned?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue May 24, 2011 11:17 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:So the reports of the Mets demise are still going as planned?

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue May 24, 2011 2:45 pm

ESPN reporting that the Mets could lose $70 million this season (per Wilpon). Ouch. Makes you wonder why they signed Jason Bay to that deal when they already knew they were getting into financial trouble. Plus, he sucks.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 am

Did Youkilis just get Wally Pipp'ed?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 26, 2011 11:49 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Did Youkilis just get Wally Pipp'ed?

By that stiff Sutton? Can't wait for that jerkoff to get shipped back to Pawtucket. Worst utility IF ever.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 26, 2011 12:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

By that stiff Sutton? Can't wait for that jerkoff to get shipped back to Pawtucket. Worst utility IF ever.

:81
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu May 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Sutton's 1-2 today with his third double in 11 ABs and is sporting a nice and clean 1.000 OPS. Watch out Youk.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 26, 2011 3:40 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Sutton's 1-2 today with his third double in 11 ABs and is sporting a nice and clean 1.000 OPS. Watch out Youk.

He plays second base like a lamppost.

No idea what the :81 was for. My observations on Sutton sucking weren't in the least bit intended to imply that I was taking Nick's Wally Pipp nonsense seriously. I just felt it was the appropriate place to comment on Sutton costing Sox pitching many runs in a short period of time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 26, 2011 3:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Sutton's 1-2 today with his third double in 11 ABs and is sporting a nice and clean 1.000 OPS. Watch out Youk.

He plays second base like a lamppost.

No idea what the :81 was for. My observations on Sutton sucking weren't in the least bit intended to imply that I was taking Nick's Wally Pipp nonsense seriously. I just felt it was the appropriate place to comment on Sutton costing Sox pitching many runs in a short period of time.

No, I don't think Drew Sutton is Lou Gehrig. He isn't Drew Bledsoe either. Hell, he isn't even Jeff Frye.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri May 27, 2011 5:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Teddy was right. Youk is back in the lineup tonight.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat May 28, 2011 10:55 am

The Mets have got to be the most pathetic franchise in pro sports.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 30, 2011 11:03 pm

More pathetic than Ohio State?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:39 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:So the reports of the Mets demise are still going as planned?

4 games out of the WC in the loss column!! :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:21 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I thought you measured the Mets by where the Sox are?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:55 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Where do you stand on Reyes? I say trade him. He is finally carrying the club in their time of need, but I'm skeptical about the timing. Contract year, zero expectations for the team... He relies on his speed to be successful, but he has chronic leg problems. He folds under pressure (2006 playoffs, September 2007 choke job, September 2008 choke job). He's from the DR, so you have to question if he's as old as he says he is. The only reasons I can find for committing $100 million to him are that he is perfect for CitiField, he kills Philly, and it would be a shame to lose a home-grown player to free agency after he finally "gets it" (if that is indeed what's going on here).
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:03 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I thought you measured the Mets by where the Sox are?

NO I JUST WANT TO MAKES SURE BC WORLD KNOWS WHAT YOU ARE IN REAL LIFE --AN ANGRY HOMOSEXUAL DEVIATE WHO LIES AND SMEARS ME FOR 2+ YEARS --SINCE YOU ARE A JEALOUS TWISTED DISEASED POS -- AND I SHALL ANSWER EVERY LIE WITH THE TRUTH.

People have read my stuff for 8 err 5 years. They know my views and who I am and what I am about and you punks wanted to go for the title, but sadly you are ill-equpped to discuss sports, or make interesting insights.

You and insolent others failed this site and failed the BC sports world
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:19 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Where do you stand on Reyes? I say trade him. He is finally carrying the club in their time of need, but I'm skeptical about the timing. Contract year, zero expectations for the team... He relies on his speed to be successful, but he has chronic leg problems. He folds under pressure (2006 playoffs, September 2007 choke job, September 2008 choke job). He's from the DR, so you have to question if he's as old as he says he is. The only reasons I can find for committing $100 million to him are that he is perfect for CitiField, he kills Philly, and it would be a shame to lose a home-grown player to free agency after he finally "gets it" (if that is indeed what's going on here).

Let me start off by saying I've always been more of a Wright fan than a Reyes fan.

I think the most frustrating thing about Reyes is that all Mets fans knew he had this in him. He has the potential to be the best all around shortstop in the majors and he's been that this year. The park is 110% built for him -he hits the ball in the gap, the other team might as well put their hands up and put him on 3rd.

He still makes mistakes that someone who has been playing for 8 years in the majors shouldn't make. Case in point 2 nights ago when he's on 3rd with 1 out after hitting another triple a ground ball to 2nd and he doesn't slide and gets tagged out. He later said he's afraid to slide feet 1st after getting hurt that way a while back but knows he should.

Anywho, my thoughts...

I have reservations giving someone a long term extension at 28 who relies on his legs, has an injury history, & as you said, is from the DR so who knows if he's 28. I say put him on the market in 3 weeks and let the bidding war begin. SF, Reds, Cards (maybe), all make sense. The team he's traded to is going to have a great shot at signing him because with a young family he doesn't want to be hoping around. If they keep him & he hits the open market he's not coming back because someone is going to give him Carl Crawford money which doesn't make sense for the Mets. So collect the 2 1st rounders and who knows, when they gave up Mike Hampton it turned into David Wright...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:42 am

I've always liked Wright more, too, but the constant bitching about CitiField and the alarming spike in strikeouts since the park opened (presumably because he is compensating to hit the long ball) has me worried that he is more concerned with his numbers than winning and will not become the player to put the Mets on his back that I expected him to be, a la Piazza.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Shea Field