Reports of the Red Sox demise ...

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Reports of the Red Sox demise ...

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:55 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:So the reports of the Mets demise are still going as planned?

4 games out of the WC in the loss column!! :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Where do you stand on Reyes? I say trade him. He is finally carrying the club in their time of need, but I'm skeptical about the timing. Contract year, zero expectations for the team... He relies on his speed to be successful, but he has chronic leg problems. He folds under pressure (2006 playoffs, September 2007 choke job, September 2008 choke job). He's from the DR, so you have to question if he's as old as he says he is. The only reasons I can find for committing $100 million to him are that he is perfect for CitiField, he kills Philly, and it would be a shame to lose a home-grown player to free agency after he finally "gets it" (if that is indeed what's going on here).

Let me start off by saying I've always been more of a Wright fan than a Reyes fan.

I think the most frustrating thing about Reyes is that all Mets fans knew he had this in him. He has the potential to be the best all around shortstop in the majors and he's been that this year. The park is 110% built for him -he hits the ball in the gap, the other team might as well put their hands up and put him on 3rd.

He still makes mistakes that someone who has been playing for 8 years in the majors shouldn't make. Case in point 2 nights ago when he's on 3rd with 1 out after hitting another triple a ground ball to 2nd and he doesn't slide and gets tagged out. He later said he's afraid to slide feet 1st after getting hurt that way a while back but knows he should.

Anywho, my thoughts...

I have reservations giving someone a long term extension at 28 who relies on his legs, has an injury history, & as you said, is from the DR so who knows if he's 28. I say put him on the market in 3 weeks and let the bidding war begin. SF, Reds, Cards (maybe), all make sense. The team he's traded to is going to have a great shot at signing him because with a young family he doesn't want to be hoping around. If they keep him & he hits the open market he's not coming back because someone is going to give him Carl Crawford money which doesn't make sense for the Mets. So collect the 2 1st rounders and who knows, when they gave up Mike Hampton it turned into David Wright...

I couldn't agree more - it stings, but get something for him and let another GM stay up at night wondering when he's going to putter out (answer = sooner rather than later).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:54 pm

WTF?

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:WTF?

do they make these in pink?

ps - i remember when claver hesitated in joining this website because he felt there was too much snark and not enough content. i'm guessing his immature asshole must have matured some

i thought he hesitated because of the mysterious stranger.

and i'm surprised you haven't posted the Out magazine cover in this thread by now.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:05 pm

ps - i remember when claver hesitated in joining this website because he felt there was too much snark and not enough content. i'm guessing his immature asshole must have matured some

When was that?

If true, you remember my thoughts better than I do Snoop2.0?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:22 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

When was that?

If true, you remember my thoughts better than I do Snoop2.0?

i may have you confused with one of your fellow students at the time :shrug

tre's memory of snark and other upsurd comments by other members is impeccable... He never ceases to amaze me at the random shxt he remembers.

Ok time to leave Shea field before I catch something...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:41 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:its not memory as much as making up shit that could be construed as believable

to get back on topic... is there any way to include the mets as a part of the nfl lockout?

Actually I believe getting back on topic would be "will the Red Sox lose another game?" Hijackers. If you are going to hijack my thread, at least talk about a pro team, like the Yankees or something.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:49 am

Better. Jerk.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:So the reports of the Mets demise are still going as planned?

4 games out of the WC in the loss column!! :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Back to .500! And 3 games out of WC in the loss column :cheer :cheer :cheer

*Note for all you homohumpers, I know this team is playing way over their heads right now and I don't have the expectation that they'll make the playoffs or even contend in September but let me have my fun you canary cxnts
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:13 am

Did you frauds know that Beckett threw a 1-hitter last night?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:17 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Did you frauds know that Beckett threw a 1-hitter last night?

dood, last night was all about the b's. what ahh you, retahhhded

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:cancer merchant

Did you like it when he was punched by Scotty Walker?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:58 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:cancer merchant

Did you like it when he was punched by Scotty Walker?

i watch it every morning to start my day

Aaron does very good work for TSN.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:20 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Did you frauds know that Beckett threw a 1-hitter last night?

That is why God invented the clicker.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The only hit was a dribbler.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:27 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'm aware. I watched the first 5 innings before the Broons even started, and luckily caught the Pedroia triple, flipped over for the Bergeron goal, and flipped back for the Youk dong. That was actually a very enjoyable baseball game - Beckett only threw 97 pitches in a CG.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'm aware. I watched the first 5 innings before the Broons even started, and luckily caught the Pedroia triple, flipped over for the Bergeron goal, and flipped back for the Youk dong. That was actually a very enjoyable baseball game - Beckett only threw 97 pitches in a CG.

When he's on, Beckett is one of the most fun pitchers to watch in baseball. It almost looks as if he's coasting. Likewise, Bergeron is one of the most fun players in the NHL to watch because of his two-way game and his class. He's very workmanlike. And, now he's the only human in the world who can say he's won both a cup and a gold Medal in Vancouver.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:the Youk dong

I knew too because Beckett is on my fantasy team.

*roster to be posted soon
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Plus, I DVR'd the fuck out of the Broons, so I could watch the Sox, flip back to the Broons, rewind, and catch up, skipping commercials and missing nothing. Technology rules.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:37 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

It's a shame too because he didn't walk anyone - he was a dribbler away from a perfect game.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Plus, I DVR'd the fuck out of the Broons, so I could watch the Sox, flip back to the Broons, rewind, and catch up, skipping commercials and missing nothing. Technology rules.

TW has unquestionably earned a cookie.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Did anyone see the 1-3-1 put out in the sox game yesterday?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:36 am

Since this has turned partly into a Mets thread, good article by Serby in the post today.

After the first 18 games of their season, Terry Collins and the Mets stood at 5-13. After the first 18 games of their season, Joe Girardi and the Yankees stood at 12-6.

It means that since then — even without David Wright, even without Ike Davis, even without the Jason Bay they thought they were getting, even without an ace like CC Sabathia, even without stable ownership — the 39-39 Mets have been every bit as good (34-26) as the 45-31 Yankees (33-25). Without A-Rod. Without Mark Teixiera. Without Curtis Granderson. Without Mariano Rivera. Without Robinson Cano. Without a $200 million payroll.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/collins_has_made_reyes_the_rest_LEEWRpj3ByoZIRTADxpN5K

As I said, I know they are playing over their heads right now but it's a fun group to watch play. Outside of Reyes there isn't an allstar on the team, 3 of their 4 infielders are AAA/bench players.

Hopefully through these next 5 weeks of brutal schedule (3 @ Tex, 3 @ Det, 3 vs NYY, 4 @ LA, 3 @ SF, 3 vs Philly, 3 vs STL) they'll keep me interested.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:38 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:claver, can you still buy pieces of the team on craigslist?

no it was upgraded to facebook marketplace durrrr
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:00 pm

I attended that so-called World Series Preview Game last night in Philadelphia.

I hate to be obnoxious, so all I have to say is that it was a beautiful evening.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I attended that so-called World Series Preview Game last night in Philadelphia.

I hate to be obnoxious, so all I have to say is that it was a beautiful evening.

Everyone on the Sox sucks except Gonzalez and maybe Lester. Excuse-making ad infinitum. In a lot of ways they remind me of the 04 team.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Previous

Return to Shea Field