Good Article on Brazil

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Good Article on Brazil

Postby bignick33 on Tue May 10, 2011 1:16 pm

It details the horrific discrepancies between the rich and the poor in Brazil, in the context of the upcoming World Cup and Olympics which Rio will host.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/ ... 110510/Rio
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Re: Good Article on Brazil

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue May 10, 2011 1:45 pm

I also recommend the book/movie Cidade De Deus (City of God).
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Re: Good Article on Brazil

Postby bignick33 on Tue May 10, 2011 1:57 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I also recommend the book/movie Cidade De Deus (City of God).

I saw the movie a few years ago. I find Brazil to be a fascinating country (incidentally, the area of Massachusetts where I grew up has one of the largest concentrations of Brazilian-Americans in the US). As I mentioned, the disparity between rich and poor is staggering. It is both shocking and very sad that this could occur in what I believe is the fourth or fifth most populous democracy in the world. The country is very diverse, both ethnically and in terms of the geographic landscape, and the tourism industry is obviously very strong. I'll be interested to see whether they're able to turn the windfall of visitors, foreign $$, and publicity into a better/safer Brazil; however, I'm pretty pessimistic.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Return to Shea Field