Life Lesson for Today's Generation: Sir Bob Feller

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Life Lesson for Today's Generation: Sir Bob Feller

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:15 am

1938 --17-11

1939 --24-9
1940 --27-11
1941 --25-13

Just add in leading league in games, strikeouts and innings pitched and innings averaging 300 and today when a pitcher on every 5th day hits 200 innings or 100 pitches, they shut him down.

December 7th, 1941 -- You remember that. It used to be pictures in the papers and stories on the news and surviving veterans.. Not a peep anymore in the media...I mean we would not want to offend anyone.

December 8th, 1941 -- Bob Feller became a free agent after back to back 25 win seasons. A free agent for Uncle Sam and a decorated war Navy Man. I guess "Rapid Robert" enlisted the same way?

Prime??? --- Please the zenith of historical greatness of one of the best careers in baseball history to serve the next morning after thousands were massacred at Pearl Harbor.

Cliff Lee was offered $160/7 by the Yankees and signed with the Phillies for the whatevr $135M now guaranteed, yadda, yadda..

2008 --- 22-3
2009 --- 14-13
2010 --- 12-9

My question was Bob Feller was 92. Why wasn't he in the free agent mix this year? He only missed 54 years and his career ended on a batted ball to his eye not the Japs killing him?

Bob Feller --free agent -- 1942. Imagine if not a slave for the baseball owners freed by ----Marvin Miller decades later MM not in the Hall of Fame.

Signed with the US Navy for $20.00 a month so we could post here.

Imagine his contract.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Re: Life Lesson for Our Generation: Sir Bob Feller

Postby Dirtywater75 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:58 am

Thanks 74. May Bob rest in peace. One of the true giants of the game. I pulled off the highway once in the middle of the cornfields of Iowa to visit the Bob Feller homestead and family museum. ( I made my wife wait in the car for nearly two hours and she made me pay by making me stop for several hours at a quilting museum a few hours up the road.) You could imagine him throwing fastballs to his old man next to the cornfields back in the early thirties. Amazing to think what he would have accomplished if he had played for the Yankees.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Re: Life Lesson for Today's Generation: Sir Bob Feller

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:11 am

I changed the title since I was in error, but today or our generation, the movies like the Natural and 9 Men out and The Stratton story are what made America great.

Reggie said when he looked in his pocket full of C-notes, he saw Jackie Robinson.

In 1974, the minimum salary was $12,000 -- meal money today.

Marvin Miller freed the slaves and these owners with new hundreds of millions in free facilities, tax breaks and teams like the Yankees once worth $10M in 1972 to $2.6 billion....cry me a river.

The NFL and MLB -especially the NFL-- needs to take care of these old timers.

Ted Williams. Two wars and a fighter pilot. Had to be freaking re-trained as a pilot at his age!!!!!!

That is why the Boston media and the scumbags who voted him down as MVP twice in triple crown years should be covered in shit.

Iwo Jima --- 2011.....Imagine....

Hello Sarge....Hell...... my cell only has 2 bars and I can't text while these Japs are shooting at me on the beach and the sand is over 120 degrees and my boots are melting......there is sand in my special ordered Armani balloon sandy chino pants.... my SPF is fading off and I need to re-apply ......where is my chilled Artic Water and my sushi is getting ruined!!!!!!***

6,000 young brave American Marines dead --- 3 days --- and more casualties than the Japs 22K, (first time ever) --- although 21K in dead Japs.

Unfathomable today ---- especially with our pussie politicans and of course the very special CNN Anderson Cooper tight T-shirt Situation Room, ----crying me a river with Wolf Blitzer, John King and Candy 'Nose Guard" Crowley....

"Why oh Why Iwo, did it have to happen?

Why did we not give peace and talking a chance??

The shame of what did America do wrong and how can we prevent more Iwo's in the future!!"

***This is not for our brave young men and women serving today in extreme harms way who volunteered.

I can remember stories in Desert Storm on how many, many did not want to go-- (including some in National Guard units)--since the signed up for "food, dental, education and health benefits" and no one said they had to fight in a war and many refused and fought not to serve!

Unreal but true.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:35 am

Santo and Feller...I never saw Feller pitch except at Yankee Old Timers day. Mr. Cub and Mr. Indian.

Santo will eventually make the Hall as player radio etc. Ronnie played for a shit team with no one batting behind him for protection and no place setters... and was walked a lot and pitched around.

He was tough and was like a Ripken back then.
Baseball was only a part of Feller's remarkable story.

Stirred by Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, Feller enlisted in the Navy the following day — the first major league player to do so. He served as a gun captain on the USS Alabama, earning several battle commendations and medals.

"More impressive than his vast accomplishments on the field was being part of `The Greatest Generation,'" Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said. "Bob served our country for nearly four years during the prime of his career. Bob was a great pitcher, but he was first and foremost a great American."

Never afraid to offer a strong opinion on any subject, Feller remained physically active in his later years. At the end of every winter, he attended the Indians' fantasy camp in either Florida or Arizona. One of the highlights of the weeklong event was always Feller, in uniform, taking the mound and striking out campers, some of whom were 50 years younger.

Another rite of spring for Cleveland fans was seeing Feller at the Indians' training camp. Before home exhibition games in Winter Haven, Fla., or more recently in Goodyear, Ariz., Feller would throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Introduced to a rousing ovation every time, Feller delivered the throw with the same high leg kick he used while blazing fastballs past overmatched hitters.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Bob Feller and Ted Williams, and the rest of the American hero baseball players of the Greatest Generation that put down their gloves and picked up arms, rest in peace. The rest of this fucked up society may have forgotten your sacrifice, but some will always remember that the luxury and comfort which allows for complacency and objection was provided by you.

And kudos to you, 74, for being one that never forgets.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dirtywater on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:00 pm

The only sports figure of recent vintage who was as worthy was Pat Tillman. It is unfortunate that University of Phoenix Stadium is not renamed Tillman Stadium. I have written to both the Cardinal's mgmt and the University of Phoenix and never received a response. Fenway should be renamed after Williams and Jacobs (or whatever they call it now) after Feller. Great public places should be named after heroes so people will remember and honor their sacrifice and accomplishment .
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Dirtywater {l Wrote}:The only sports figure of recent vintage who was as worthy was Pat Tillman. It is unfortunate that University of Phoenix Stadium is not renamed Tillman Stadium. I have written to both the Cardinal's mgmt and the University of Phoenix and never received a response. Fenway should be renamed after Williams and Jacobs (or whatever they call it now) after Feller. Great public places should be named after heroes so people will remember and honor their sacrifice and accomplishment .

Everything but the name at Fenway is about Williams. They have his number plastered everywhere, and there is a giant bronze statue of him. I agree with your sentiment, but I don't think they need to go so far as to change the name of Fenway Park. The name is as iconic as the park itself.

Besides, the man has a street and a tunnel already.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BearTerritory on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:01 pm

The great rotation thread should include Lemon, Wynn, Feller, Garcia with Herb Score coming up.
BearTerritory
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:38 pm

BearTerritory {l Wrote}:The great rotation thread should include Lemon, Wynn, Feller, Garcia with Herb Score coming up.

Bob Lemon could swing that lumber. 37 lifetime homers. Wynn hit 17. He also slept in the Yankee dugout as Manager in the July-Sept freight train rollover of the Sox.

I was at the Stadium the night Guidry K'ed 18 -----and another day game when Gossage blew away 3 batters on 9 pitches that fat old red nosed drinking SOB Lemon stood up and smoked a fake cigarette, puffing it 3X, to honor Gossage smoking the fastball.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Bob Feller and Ted Williams, and the rest of the American hero baseball players of the Greatest Generation that put down their gloves and picked up arms, rest in peace. The rest of this fucked up society may have forgotten your sacrifice, but some will always remember that the luxury and comfort which allows for complacency and objection was provided by you.

I am sure everyone saw Saving Private Ryan. Imagine 80 young men dying every hour for 3 straight days.

The History Channel's latest color films and post 3rd reich films and documentary talks about the 10 years after WW2 and the Russians should be ashamed for deliberately trying to starve millions and they did.

3 in 10 starved which is an unreal fact for the post war years and most German prisioners were starved and butchered and some kept until they died in some gulag.

The Russians raped almost every Berlin and occupied city woman and killed many and many committed suicide.

I have been there. Not a nice place. Strange people.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Dirtywater on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:02 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Bob Feller and Ted Williams, and the rest of the American hero baseball players of the Greatest Generation that put down their gloves and picked up arms, rest in peace. The rest of this fucked up society may have forgotten your sacrifice, but some will always remember that the luxury and comfort which allows for complacency and objection was provided by you.

I am sure everyone saw Saving Private Ryan. Imagine 80 young men dying every hour for 3 straight days.

The History Channel's latest color films and post 3rd reich films and documentary talks about the 10 years after WW2 and the Russians should be ashamed for deliberately trying to starve millions and they did.

3 in 10 starved which is an unreal fact for the post war years and most German prisioners were starved and butchered and some kept until they died in some gulag.

The Russians raped almost every Berlin and occupied city woman and killed many and many committed suicide.

The Russians were paying back the Germans for what they did during Barbarossa which was equally beyond comprehension. It would not surprise me to learn one day that Satan and Lucifer manifested themselves in the form of Hitler and Stalin. There is no other rational explanation for those two. If you want to read a phenomenal book about that period I recommend you read "Armageddon: the battle for Germany 1944-45" by Max Hastings.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:14 am

Dirtywater {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:

The Russians were paying back the Germans for what they did during Barbarossa which was equally beyond comprehension. It would not surprise me to learn one day that Satan and Lucifer manifested themselves in the form of Hitler and Stalin. There is no other rational explanation for those two. If you want to read a phenomenal book about that period I recommend you read "Armageddon: the battle for Germany 1944-45" by Max Hastings.

What the Nazis did to occupied Europe and Russia and the women were far worse during the push to Leningrad and Moscow --and Stalin killed his own people in the Ukraine. --millions-- I think your devil theory is most likely true--but 99.99% would disagree- since the evil and twisted barbarism they manifested could only come form hell.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Return to Shea Field