Four Days in October

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Four Days in October

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:03 pm

I just watched the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on the 2004 ALCS. Goosebumps. Holy shit. :koolaid
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Re: Four Days in October

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:02 pm

It suddenly became midnight when they showed the opening montage. And I'm not talking about the time. [/rimshot]
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Bill Simmons and Lenny Clarke were annoying though. They were sitting at the bar for their whole segment and never once touched their beers. And I was surprised to see Clarke on his own and not following Denis Leary around holding onto his pocket.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Bill Simmons and Lenny Clarke were annoying though. They were sitting at the bar for their whole segment and never once touched their beers. And I was surprised to see Clarke on his own and not following Denis Leary around holding onto his pocket.

I had heard they were going to be on it beforehand as narrators and was clearly expecting a complete abortion. I didn't think they were too bad. Didn't add much, but didn't take anything away either and not too awkwardly thrown in there. Could probably do without them but Simmons came up with the whole 30 for 30 idea so you figure he's going to be in at least one.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:27 pm

I enjoyed it too.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 pm

DVR'd it last night but ESPN put on BBTN instead :lame I'm sure they'll replay it.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:48 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:DVR'd it last night but ESPN put on BBTN instead :lame I'm sure they'll replay it.

It will be on ESPN Classic on Sunday, Nov. 7 at 9:00 p.m.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Burn in hell. Lucky bastards.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Shredder on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:28 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Bill Simmons and Lenny Clarke were annoying though. They were sitting at the bar for their whole segment and never once touched their beers. And I was surprised to see Clarke on his own and not following Denis Leary around holding onto his pocket.

I had heard they were going to be on it beforehand as narrators and was clearly expecting a complete abortion. I didn't think they were too bad. Didn't add much, but didn't take anything away either and not too awkwardly thrown in there. Could probably do without them but Simmons came up with the whole 30 for 30 idea so you figure he's going to be in at least one.

Simmons said some good things but would have been better as one of the ongoing interviews. He appeared in the USFL documentary and talked about the Boston Breakers. Lenny Clarke added nothing.

Still, it was great. I like how it started right at Game 4 and Millar giving the famous "Don't let us win one" speech rather than recapping the first three games and regular season. I thought this doc was better than the 2004 segment in Ken Burns' Tenth Inning which had too much of Keith Olbermann and that type of material whereas the 30for30 had much better behind the scenes footage.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:15 am

I'm glad they highlighted Mueller's at-bat in game four. People do overlook that and it was incredible. Mueller was a real Yankee Kueller.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:13 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Mueller was a real Yankee Kueller.

That's Canary, Jerry. Canary!
Last edited by pick6pedro on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BearTerritory on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:40 am

Clarke's one good moment was when he asked whether this was bigger than 1776, the American Revolution and said..."Of course, we are talking about the fucking yankees."
BearTerritory
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:50 am

Shredder {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Simmons said some good things but would have been better as one of the ongoing interviews. He appeared in the USFL documentary and talked about the Boston Breakers. Lenny Clarke added nothing.

Still, it was great. I like how it started right at Game 4 and Millar giving the famous "Don't let us win one" speech rather than recapping the first three games and regular season. I thought this doc was better than the 2004 segment in Ken Burns' Tenth Inning which had too much of Keith Olbermann and that type of material whereas the 30for30 had much better behind the scenes footage.

My only problem was that it was completely out of place in the narrative. In the interview before it actually started, the director said he only wanted to see it from the player perspective and then he threw Simmons and Clarke in there. Not that it took much away from it but it was just kinda awkward.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Shredder {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

My only problem was that it was completely out of place in the narrative. In the interview before it actually started, the director said he only wanted to see it from the player perspective and then he threw Simmons and Clarke in there. Not that it took much away from it but it was just kinda awkward.

Thing about Simmons is that I really like to read his columns, but he's lousy on TV - he's clearly someone who should stick to writing.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:07 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Shredder {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Thing about Simmons is that I really like to read his columns, but he's lousy on TV - he's clearly someone who should stick to writing.
He doesn't have a TV or radio voice at all. Way too nasally.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Return to Shea Field