Strasburg (probably) needs Tommy John surgery

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Tommy John surgery for Strasburg

Postby EagleNYC on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:15 am

Seems likely. Fuck. That's some bullshit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5502866
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Strasburg (probably) needs Tommy John surgery

Postby apbc12 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:16 am

Sorry, Nationals fans. Looks like Bob Costas will have to hold off on the Hall of Fame speech for at least a year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5502866
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Re: Tommy John surgery for Strasburg

Postby EagleNYC on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:43 am

:74 :orca :orca :orca

Why would you write that?
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Re: Tommy John surgery for Strasburg

Postby BC '00 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:48 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}::74 :orca :orca :orca

Why would you write that?

:orca

and

:oldman

are now less fun. That is all.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Re: Strasburg (probably) needs Tommy John surgery

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:04 pm

11 starts in the minors. That's it. While I'm sure the Nats pay lip service to the fact that he was "brought along correctly", I don't know of any pitchers who hit the majors with less pro experience, not even the biggest studs with the biggest hype. Doc Gooden pitched 50 before he started in the majors. This just screams of the Nats not looking out for his interests. Of course this could have happened at any level and I feel awful for the kid, but I've been saying all along I thought they were going about this the wrong way (tm Teddy and HJS masturbatoriness).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:05 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:11 starts in the minors. That's it. While I'm sure the Nats pay lip service to the fact that he was "brought along correctly", I don't know of any pitchers who hit the majors with less pro experience, not even the biggest studs with the biggest hype. Doc Gooden pitched 50 before he started in the majors. This just screams of the Nats not looking out for his interests. Of course this could have happened at any level and I feel awful for the kid, but I've been saying all along I thought they were going about this the wrong way (tm Teddy and HJS masturbatoriness).

I can't really fault the Nats for what they did. It's just unfortunate.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:04 pm

Well, that was pretty fucking predictable.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Strasburg went to college so the Gooden comparison isn't a great one.

The big problem is the Nats handling of its young pitchers. This is the second year in a row where the Nats top pitching prospect has needed Tommy John, with Zimmerman, who just returned the other day, being the other. And all this time I thought Dusty Baker was in Cincinnati. Oh, whoops, just realized Mike Leake went on the DL. Dusty's still there.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Count me in the category of people that think traumatic arm injuries come from throwing too little, not too much. When guys are exerting to throw 100 mph, you need to build up the muscles in the right areas. For a weird motion like throwing a baseball, you must accomplish this by throwing. Weights can't recreate those mechanics. Limiting guys too much leaves their arms too weak to handle the exertion of game level pitching.

There are certainly injuries that will occur no matter what (I'd hate to see an MRI of my right arm, for example) because they are flukes or you effed up mechanics one time. And I am sure that dollars invested in these guys magnify injuries and caution rules such that guys in the old days that pitched with injuries would sit today. But I believe kids should throw more, at 50-80% velocity than they do today.

I'm no orthopedic surgeon, but it strikes me that with every other joint, you protect it by building the muscle around it. With the elbow and rotator cuff, we protect it by not using it as much. To me, that is counterintuitive.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:32 pm

I was at the Nationals game on Sunday, and it was just depressing how many people were wearing Strasburg jerseys - the fans had all bought in to the hype, and I think they were right to do so, but it has to really hurt for the actual fans up there (not that there are that many).
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Return to Shea Field