Oswalt to Phillies

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Oswalt to Phillies

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:43 pm

I'd be unsurprised if no one cared about this here, but Ruben Amaro seems to have redeemed himself reasonably from his letting Lee go for shitty canadian prospects who may be deaf trade.

Phillies gave up Happ who i like but is a 3 at best, and avoided giving up their top offensive prospect and are getting 11 MM for next year so they don't have to trade werth anymore probably and I guess will be picking up Oswalt's option.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Re: Oswalt to Phillies

Postby branchinator on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Should have kept Lee for a 1 year run of a Halladay/Lee/Hamels rotation. But Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels is very solid. If Philly can get healthy and make it into the playoffs, they'll be a tough out.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:59 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Should have kept Lee for a 1 year run of a Halladay/Lee/Hamels rotation. But Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels is very solid. If Philly can get healthy and make it into the playoffs, they'll be a tough out.

I completely agree that Lee is far better than Oswalt, but I'm much happier with this result than what I thought was going to happen.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:02 am

My understanding is that they don't have to pick up Oswalt's option though - they added $1 million to the buyout to get him to waive his clause.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:58 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:Should have kept Lee for a 1 year run of a Halladay/Lee/Hamels rotation. But Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels is very solid. If Philly can get healthy and make it into the playoffs, they'll be a tough out.

Phillies are in the same position as the Sox, but with much less competition for a playoff spot, as they play in the minor leagues. They have the pitching to dominate in the playoffs, but injuries are killing them.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Phillies are in the same position as the Sox, but with much less competition for a playoff spot, as they play in the minor leagues. They have the pitching to dominate in the playoffs, but injuries are killing them.

They are basically the NL Red Sox. They even have the shitty bullpen. The Red Sox need either the Rays or the Yanks to dominate one another. And then they need to take care of business on their end against those teams.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:15 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

They are basically the NL Red Sox. They even have the shitty bullpen. The Red Sox need either the Rays or the Yanks to dominate one another. And then they need to take care of business on their end against those teams.

I'm all for the Yankees kicking the crap out of the Rays this weekend. Realistically, all you've got to do is make the playoffs in baseball.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:01 pm

Agree.

Lee wanted no part of Philly though which was strange?

They offered him 4 years close to 50M+?

Now he gets the Yankees in the mix as a replacement for Vasquez and Pettitte. One or both may retire.

Dunn was not moved which would had been better than Kearns or Berkman.

Berkman may be the steal of the trade wars.

What if he gets a lefty Jim Spencer, Joe Pepitone, Johnny Blanchard, Craig Nettles. Oscar Gamble... type of swing next year and hits 35 and drives in 140?

Berkman can be all that in that line-up.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm pretty sure one of the conditions for Berkman waving his 10/5 rights was that the Yankees don't pick up his option at the end of the year. I doubt anybody would want him for the $15 million club option anyways.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:27 pm

True, but either Dunn or Berkman (if he has a great post season), may re-sign.

Wood could be something special if injury free?

Nice moves, but cash and ability make Cashman, Theo --on a different playing field.

Imagine being GM of the Pirates.

You could be the best judge of talent and never be heard of again.

You sign Dunn you lose draft picks since he is Type A.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:37 pm

I guess the only thing the Pirates have going for them is that they suck so much that their first rounder is protected so they would only lose their 2nd if I remember the rules correctly. Now actually getting a legitimate Type A, i.e. not an Arthur Rhodes Type A player, to go there is a completely different topic.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Return to Shea Field