Official World Cup 2010 discussion thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official World Cup 2010 discussion thread

Postby EagleDave on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:"...was the most watched U.S. Men's National team game since 1994."

So its popularity has actually dropped off since that 94 Cup. Got it.

In 94 it was in the U.S., and it was the round of 16. If we're in the round of 16 this year we get higher numbers. Also, the overall numbers (including non-U.S. matches) have been doing much better, demonstrating improved popularity of soccer in the U.S., rather than simply people watching because it's the U.S.

And yes, it would certainly help to have a Messi on our team, both competitively and ratings-wise.

Not only that, they played an epic 1-0 game (on the 4th of July no less) with eventual champion Brazil in that 2nd round game behind marketable stars like Alexi Lalas and Coby Jones. They don't necessarily need a lights out top 5 player in the world, they just need someone marketable. Sadly, that's not likely to happen unless it's one of those dual citizenship situations with a guy who gets bored playing the big fish, big pond routine. The player certainly wouldn't be home grown.

Weren't Harkes, Ramos and Meola on that team as well? Or were they older?

Ahhh Tony Meola...he was the goalie for the '94 team. It was his last appearance with the national team. Not sure about Harkes and Ramos.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:"...was the most watched U.S. Men's National team game since 1994."

In 94 it was in the USA.

:81

The round of 16 argument makes more sense to me than the fact that it was in the US. As a non-soccer fan, I was just as likely to watch the US in the quarters in Siberia as I was to watch it take place in Foxboro.

It's was far more hyped up when it was in the USA. That alone would explain an increase of interest.

I suppose. I don't remember that well (though I was in college at the time), but I think you'd be hard pressed to hype the World Cup more than the world wide leader did this time around, with Djimon Hounsou reading African poetry every forty seconds during Sports Center and the NBA playoffs, and stars like Will Farrell and Wahlberg Part Deux doing goofy commercials.

That is an explanation that I'd bye. However, it is my anecdotal impression that interest in international soccer (Premiership, Champions Cup, hell even the Euro Cup, etc) has in the US increased over the last 5 to 10 years, which is IMO a better barometer. So, I would tend to agree with the point that (despite the variable of ESPN) interest in soccer in the US is increasing, albeit (as you said) slowly.

If anyone is particularly interested in the topic, I would definitely recommend reading the book Soccernomics. It's written by British statisticians, although it seems to be geared to a US readership. I don't agree with all of their points, but it's definitely thought-provoking.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Harkes (yellow cards) Reyna and Ramos (injuries) were all on the 1994 team, but missed the Brazil game. The team also included Ernie Stewart, Marcelo Balboa, Lalas, Jones.

1 Meola • 2 Lapper • 3 Burns • 4 Kooiman • 5 Dooley • 6 Harkes • 7 Pérez • 8 Stewart • 9 Ramos • 10 Wegerle • 11 Wynalda • 12 Sommer • 13 Jones • 14 Klopas • 15 Moore • 16 Sorber • 17 Balboa • 18 Friedel • 19 Reyna • 20 Caligiuri • 21 Clavijo • 22 Lalas • Coach: Milutinović
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:35 pm

The only way for soccer to make serious inroads in the US would be for a transcendent US player to develop into an international star AND for the US to do serious damage in a World Cup. ESPN loves to pimp Landon Donovan but he'd be like a Marco Scutaro on some of these elite teams. Good? Sure? A star? Not even close.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:35 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

In 94 it was in the USA.

:81

The round of 16 argument makes more sense to me than the fact that it was in the US. As a non-soccer fan, I was just as likely to watch the US in the quarters in Siberia as I was to watch it take place in Foxboro.

It's was far more hyped up when it was in the USA. That alone would explain an increase of interest.

I suppose. I don't remember that well (though I was in college at the time), but I think you'd be hard pressed to hype the World Cup more than the world wide leader did this time around, with Djimon Hounsou reading African poetry every forty seconds during Sports Center and the NBA playoffs, and stars like Will Farrell and Wahlberg Part Deux doing goofy commercials.

That is an explanation that I'd bye. However, it is my anecdotal impression that interest in international soccer (Premiership, Champions Cup, hell even the Euro Cup, etc) has in the US increased over the last 5 to 10 years, which is IMO a better barometer. So, I would tend to agree with the point that (despite the variable of ESPN) interest in soccer in the US is increasing, albeit (as you said) slowly.

If anyone is particularly interested in the topic, I would definitely recommend reading the book Soccernomics. It's written by British statisticians, although it seems to be geared to a US readership. I don't agree with all of their points, but it's definitely thought-provoking.

Well, don't look now, but the US is a favorite to land the 2018 World Cup with Gillette as one of the major stadiums this time around.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Motherfucking starving cocksucker lucky NK bitches..

I had 4 in a row in the ESPN pool and those Brazilain pimp fucks let them have a goal to maintain peace in our time.

baby maker FUCK RAIN FOREST FUCKS humping pricks!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:42 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

In 94 it was in the U.S., and it was the round of 16. If we're in the round of 16 this year we get higher numbers. Also, the overall numbers (including non-U.S. matches) have been doing much better, demonstrating improved popularity of soccer in the U.S., rather than simply people watching because it's the U.S.

And yes, it would certainly help to have a Messi on our team, both competitively and ratings-wise.

Not only that, they played an epic 1-0 game (on the 4th of July no less) .

1-0? What a surprise.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:12 am

AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:21 am

The Neutrals are beating Spain 1-0 after 62 minutes. Spain is the favorite to the win entire thing. Would add a nice jolt to an incredibly boring World Cup. Plus, Spaniards are dirty and steal things.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:The Neutrals are beating Spain 1-0 after 62 minutes. Spain is the favorite to the win entire thing. Would add a nice jolt to an incredibly boring World Cup. Plus, Spaniards are dirty and steal things.

I really enjoyed that last sentence. :kudos
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:53 am

I would be so happy if the Spaniards didnt make the next round. Go Chile and Suisse.

Let me think, Chile beats the Swiss, Spain and Chile tie and everyone beats the 4th place team. Spain needs to pound the 4th place team to roll up the goal differential or they could miss the next round.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:30 pm

May to make me look an idiot there Spain (not hard to do). I stand by my earlier sentiment that Spain is the best team there, they had some tough breaks today. They did pretty much everything but put the ball in the goal. Life marches on.

Thank god South Africa is basically toast in this tournament now. The fewer African teams that make the 2nd round. the more vuvuzela's will be eliminated from my television and this World Cup can be about the soccer.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:34 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:May to make me look an idiot there Spain (not hard to do). I stand by my earlier sentiment that Spain is the best team there, they had some tough breaks today. They did pretty much everything but put the ball in the goal. Life marches on.

Thank god South Africa is basically toast in this tournament now. The fewer African teams that make the 2nd round. the more vuvuzela's will be eliminated from my television and this World Cup can be about the soccer.

The Swiss hit the post twice. Easily could have been three-nil.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:May to make me look an idiot there Spain (not hard to do). I stand by my earlier sentiment that Spain is the best team there, they had some tough breaks today. They did pretty much everything but put the ball in the goal. Life marches on.

Unless I missed one of the Swiss' post hit, I thought the Swiss hit once and the Spaniards hit once.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Rather than get in to semantics and fight a losing battle about how Spain is better than Switzerland, score aside, I'll simply point out that Spain had 14 shots on goal to 6 for the Swiss, and outside of the goal, the only time the Swiss got near the goal was when Spain had everyone pushed forward in the final 20 minutes. Obviously the Swiss made the plays they needed to, but let's be real, Spain dramatically dominated the ball in that game.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Like I said, obviously Switzerland won the game, but if they played that game 50 times, the Swiss probably win just that one. Spain will bounce back and be around a lot longer than the chocolate and cheese crowd.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:49 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Rather than get in to semantics and fight a losing battle about how Spain is better than Switzerland, score aside, I'll simply point out that Spain had 14 shots on goal to 6 for the Swiss, and outside of the goal, the only time the Swiss got near the goal was when Spain had everyone pushed forward in the final 20 minutes. Obviously the Swiss made the plays they needed to, but let's be real, Spain dramatically dominated the ball in that game.

this sounds very tobias/we won the battle of field position even though we lost on the scoreboard :shrug

you can never lose when you're the first ever analrapist.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:52 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

this sounds very tobias/we won the battle of field position even though we lost on the scoreboard :shrug

you can never lose when you're the first ever analrapist.

Or when you're celebrating an anniversary:

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:46 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/worldcup2010/galleries/the_hottest_wags_of_the_2010_world_cup/the_hottest_wags_of_the_2010_world_cup.html

If they would show these ladies every game I would never miss it, I should have played soccer.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:32 am

Nice to see my prophecy of increased scoring coming to fruition here in the 2nd set of games. South Africa gets routed 3-0 and then Argentina dick stomps South Korea 4-1. Teams are opening it up now chasing results and goal differential!
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:35 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Nice to see my prophecy of increased scoring coming to fruition here in the 2nd set of games. South Africa gets routed 3-0 and then Argentina dick stomps South Korea 4-1. Teams are opening it up now chasing results and goal differential!

So South Africa has basically no chance to get to the 2nd round, I think the 1st host to ever fail to do so. Maybe that will keep some of the vuvzelas home.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:44 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:Nice to see my prophecy of increased scoring coming to fruition here in the 2nd set of games. South Africa gets routed 3-0 and then Argentina dick stomps South Korea 4-1. Teams are opening it up now chasing results and goal differential!

So South Africa has basically no chance to get to the 2nd round, I think the 1st host to ever fail to do so. Maybe that will keep some of the vuvzelas home.

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Thank god South Africa is basically toast in this tournament now. The fewer African teams that make the 2nd round. the more vuvuzela's will be eliminated from my television and this World Cup can be about the soccer.

My thoughts exactly. Now if we can get a few more of them out between now and next Monday, the 2nd round ought to provide a real atmosphere without the vuvuzela's. More chanting and cheering and the normal ooooh's and aaaaah's that come with the crowd.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:36 am

Nigeria leading 1-0 but just went down a man.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Harry Seaward on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:54 am

One of the biggest barriers to getting more Americans interested in World Cup soccer is the fact that nobody in the US knows who any of these players are.

What percentage of Americans could identify the man in this picture"

I'd be shocked if it was more than 3%

What percentage of South Americans and Europeans know who he is? Probably at least 75%.

ABC should have gotten some of these world players to compete on Dancing With The Stars before the World Cup.
Harry Seaward
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:15 am

The number of players on Greece's 23 man roster whose last names don't end with (vowel)-S.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:42 am

Harry Seaward {l Wrote}:One of the biggest barriers to getting more Americans interested in World Cup soccer is the fact that nobody in the US knows who any of these players are.

What percentage of South Americans and Europeans know who he is? Probably at least 75%.

ABC should have gotten some of these world players to compete on Dancing With The Stars before the World Cup.

Its backwards. Nobody knows who he is because nobody gives a shit about soccer - not the other way around.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Harry Seaward on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 am

Nobody gives a shit about soccer?
Harry Seaward
Carney Hall

Postby mod17b on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:56 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Harkes (yellow cards) Reyna and Ramos (injuries) were all on the 1994 team, but missed the Brazil game. The team also included Ernie Stewart, Marcelo Balboa, Lalas, Jones.

1 Meola • 2 Lapper • 3 Burns • 4 Kooiman • 5 Dooley • 6 Harkes • 7 Pérez • 8 Stewart • 9 Ramos • 10 Wegerle • 11 Wynalda • 12 Sommer • 13 Jones • 14 Klopas • 15 Moore • 16 Sorber • 17 Balboa • 18 Friedel • 19 Reyna • 20 Caligiuri • 21 Clavijo • 22 Lalas • Coach: Milutinović

Ramos didn't miss the Brazil game, it was during the Brazil game when he got injured (fractured skull after an elbow to the head from Leonardo).
mod17b
n00b

Postby BC '00 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:29 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Harry Seaward {l Wrote}:One of the biggest barriers to getting more Americans interested in World Cup soccer is the fact that nobody in the US knows who any of these players are.

Its backwards. Nobody knows who he is because nobody gives a shit about soccer - not the other way around.

Big surprise that a miserable little fruitcake like you wouldn't like something.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:50 pm

I have to tell you, I have been watching some of these games, and OJ is right. Soccer is not popular in the US because it is a fucking abortion of a sport that is all about dives and offsides whistles, and evidently in this Cup, a fucked up curvy ball and piss poor goaltending.

Fix your product. Then Americans will care, and surprise, when Americans care, there will then be American soccer stars. Until then, stop trying so hard ESPN. You can market the shit of this, but it is still fucking soccer. The Cosmos say hello.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field