Official World Cup 2010 discussion thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Official World Cup 2010 discussion thread

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:10 pm

I think it's about time we started one of these, so I'm going to kick it off by making some picks, with very limited commentary.

Group A
Uruguay
France - this is painful because they probably shouldn't have even qualified, but they got a dream group. I think they'll take advantage. Obviously, picking these two teams as the top two means I think Mexico will underperform.

Group B
Argentina - so much talent, not that well-coached, but will be tough to beat
Greece - most would pick Nigeria here, but they're not as talented as they have been in the past and Greece has been playing really well - very stout defensive team that will frustrate the nigerians.

Group C
England
U.S. - I think we got a good draw. We could get a point against England, and we ought to be able to beat Angola and Slovenia.

Group D
Germany - no one in this group will beat them, or even get a point against them.
Ghana - chalk pick, don't think Australia is up to it yet.

Group E
This could be a crazy group. I am a lot more confident that the Netherlands will win it than I am about 2nd place. Really, any of the other three could win it. Cameroon is really good, Denmark has a lot of good players, but I don't know that they're great together. Japan is less likely, but still a threat. I'll give the edge to Cameroon.

Group F
I think this group is entirely predictable.
Italy
Paraguay.

Slovakia and New Zealand are far behind.

Group G
Tough, tough group.

Brazil will win the group, Portugal and Ivory Coast are both solid. I'm going to go with Ivory Coast.

Group H
Spain, definitely.
Chile.

I'm going to wait until the groups are settled before picking the Final 4.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Re: Official World Cup 2010 discussion thread

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:33 pm

Algeria, not Angola.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:29 pm

Thank God this was started...don't have much time so here goes with one line comments. It's so hard to predict these things because you just don't know the mentality of some players, if players are hurt, how they handle the altitude, etc.

A
1. Uruguay
2. South Africa

I just don't think France will magically wake up out of this stupor. That said, wouldn't be surprised at all to see Uruguay/Mexico advance.

B
1. Nigeria
2. Argentina

Probably will be Argentina 1, but they are a team I think will flame out really early.

C
1. USA
2. England

Predict draw, then USA on goal differential after they both win the next two.

D
1. Serbia
2. Ghana

I know it's a huge mistake to write off Germany, but I REALLY like Serbia in this tournament and for some reason I just think Germany won't play that well. That said, I'm writing them off at my own peril, but if they don't take anything but a win from Australia in that first match, I think they are in big trouble.

E
1. Netherlands
2. Cameroon

Not much to say here, the Dutch are the consensus #1 in this group, that said, I think Denmark may slip in at 2.

F
1. Italy
2. Paraguay

Would love to see it the other way around, a Netherlands-Italy matchup in the first round of the knockout stages would be fantastic. I don't think Italy's going places in this tournament.

G
1. Portugal
2. Brazil

No doubt the Portuguese have the same problem as France in the leadup to the WC (some would say less drastic and I'd agree), but for some reason I just see they winning this group.

H
1. Spain
2. Chile

Here I pretty much think what everybody else does. We are setting ourselves up for a fantastic matchup in the second round stages with whomever plays Spain from group G.

Can't wait for this.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Italy will go as far as they always do, so pencil them into the Final 8. I saw asshole pick Cameroon to beat them, people are dying for an African team to do something.

How about the crime so far, the Greek team and some Chinese reporters got robbed today, the chinese guys as soon as they arived. Wait until the fans arrive.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:10 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:... some Chinese reporters got robbed today, the chinese guys as soon as they arived...

hey huang, did they let you keep your sunflower?

Yes. That is me. I kept the flower. :bored
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:20 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:... some Chinese reporters got robbed today, the chinese guys as soon as they arived...

hey huang, did they let you keep your sunflower?

Yes. That is me. I kept the flower. :bored

you may think you're stealing weinermobile's shtick but really you're just making us think that you're posting as your valet aliass

Whoops! My bad. :ace
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Join the ESPN sleeve of 4 games you pussies!!

BC has a group....Boston College Eagles!

England beats the USA 4-0.

Please...we are soccer twats.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Join the ESPN sleeve of 4 games you pussies!!

BC has a group....Boston College Eagles!

England beats the USA 4-0.

Please...we are soccer twats.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:01 am

Group A
Mexico
France-as much as I hate them I think they’ll be able to pull their head out of their ass and barely pull it off
Group B
Argentina
Greece
Group C
US-huge upset tomorrow
England
Group D
Germany- I think they will make a run
Australia- in this group I think they can pull out the #2 spot the team has improved, but I don’t look for them to go any further
Group E-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Netherlands
Denmark
Group F
ITALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back to back champs
Paraguay
Group G- the most interesting because of my #1+2 pick these two head to head will be awesome
Brazil
Portugal
Group H
Spain
Honduras
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:08 am

Mexico sucks. Dammit, South Africa.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:13 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:Mexico sucks. Dammit, South Africa.

How can you not cheer for the underdog host against the US' most hated rival? Terrorist!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:21 am

Mexico is a decent team, but great showing by the host country. I hope the French choke !!!
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:33 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

How can you not cheer for the underdog host against the US' most hated rival? Terrorist!

I was cheering for South Africa. I've hated those Mexican baby maker since the 2002 game against the US.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:40 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I was cheering for South Africa. I've hated those Mexican baby maker since the 2002 game against the US.

Don't mind me - I'm not just an idiot, I play one on EO.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:38 pm

That was actually a really good match. Good chances for both teams...looking back lots of "what if they had just put that one in". I'm sure some will joke about the first game of the tournament being a draw, but it was a good one, damnit.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Uruguay withstands a late red card and a free kick from only 20 yards out in the final minute to earn a 0-0 draw against France.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:23 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:That was actually a really good match. Good chances for both teams...looking back lots of "what if they had just put that one in". I'm sure some will joke about the first game of the tournament being a draw, but it was a good one, damnit.

Wow, 2 games, 2 draws and only 2 balls hit the back of the net. Catch the fever! I actually like international play, esp at this level
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:25 pm

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Total snoozefests so far in the World Cup. A classic England/US matchup would go a long way towards generating some interest amongst the casual fans like myself.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:45 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Image

LOL URGAY !!1one
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:21 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Total snoozefests so far in the World Cup. A classic England/US matchup would go a long way towards generating some interest amongst the casual fans like myself.

FWIW, the poll on the front page of ESPN.com is what are you more interested in, USA-ENG or LAL-BOS game 5. 89K have voted and USA leads the way 56/44.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:58 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:Total snoozefests so far in the World Cup. A classic England/US matchup would go a long way towards generating some interest amongst the casual fans like myself.

Really don't think the US-England game is going to be that great of one. Neither play an especially attractive style like Argentina, Spain, or Brazil before they changed to a more defensive system and I can only imagine the US trying to get a point out of this, especially with Jozy less than 100 percent. Haven't read anything today but if Jozy can't go the US has to start two MLS guys up front, assuming Bradley stays with the same formation. That is not a good sign for future success.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby BC '00 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Anyone have an idea where I can watch this on the interwebs? I am stuck in a place with no tv but high speed internet access. It seems like there are a million channels on justin.tv that say they're gonna have it, but I'm not sure how good the quality will actually be.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:08 pm

England is toying with the US right now. The difference in talent is noticeable even to me.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:32 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:England is toying with the US right now. The difference in talent is noticeable even to me.

Meh, didn't see the same game I guess. Felt like Bradley had a mediocre game in the midfield, so USA didn't get a ton of runs out of their advantage - up front against a weak defense, especially that Carragher character, who was the worst player on the field. England was definitely better on the outside, but I didn't see a huge talent discrepancy. In fact, Jozy Altidore had the most skilled and athletic play of the day.

But I am not a big soccer guy, so maybe I was missing something.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:08 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:England is toying with the US right now. The difference in talent is noticeable even to me.

Struggling to find openings in the US defense and "toying" with them are 2 drastically different things. The US played pretty solid after the first 20 minutes and quite frankly should have won the game. A draw was the desired result and thus, mission accomplished. They're in great shape for group play with just Slovenia and Algeria left to play in their group. I would guess 7 points and a tie with England for the group with goal differential deciding who gets the top draw in the 2nd round. It's very much behooves the Americans to donkey punch Slovenia and Algeria and try to win the group and avoid a potential 2nd round match-up with Germany. Serbia or the Aussies is a much easier path to the quarters...
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:15 pm

I agree, mission accomplished, but they very easily could have won that game. I'd like to see them figure out a way to get more opportunities out of all of that speed up front - the midfielders are going to have to do a better job serving balls in deep. Seemed like they kept overshooting their targets.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Yeah, agreed on creating more chances. They're still looking for a decent compliment for Jozy Altidore who is their best striker by a mile. I don't understand the fascination with Findley though. I realize he's fast, but I'm fairly sure (and video evidence against Australia backs me up) that the guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat on the international level. It should have been Buddle out there today or Torres with Findley as a late sub. They played very compacted today trying to avoid giving up another goal after the first few minutes. You'll see them open it up a great deal against the next 2 teams who can't really compete with them physically. There will be chances aplenty, and like I said before, they'd better bury both of these teams.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:40 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Yeah, agreed on creating more chances. They're still looking for a decent compliment for Jozy Altidore who is their best striker by a mile. I don't understand the fascination with Findley though. I realize he's fast, but I'm fairly sure (and video evidence against Australia backs me up) that the guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat on the international level. It should have been Buddle out there today or Torres with Findley as a late sub. They played very compacted today trying to avoid giving up another goal after the first few minutes. You'll see them open it up a great deal against the next 2 teams who can't really compete with them physically. There will be chances aplenty, and like I said before, they'd better bury both of these teams.

Torres is a midfielder, no? I thought the 4th forward was Hercules Gomez, who was set to come on when the game ended. If Torres starts, you move Dempsey up front or go to a 4-5-1 set?

I think they should go with Altidore and Buddle and bring on Gomez late. Gomez is a figgin scoring machine.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:43 pm

England threatened on the offensive end a lot more but the US could have won the game. However, the only reason why they got a draw was because they got incredibly lucky on that Dempsey goal. I think both England and the US should handle Algeria and Slovenia pretty easily and advance.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Next

Return to Shea Field