Official World Cup 2010 discussion thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official World Cup 2010 discussion thread

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:Yeah, agreed on creating more chances. They're still looking for a decent compliment for Jozy Altidore who is their best striker by a mile. I don't understand the fascination with Findley though. I realize he's fast, but I'm fairly sure (and video evidence against Australia backs me up) that the guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat on the international level. It should have been Buddle out there today or Torres with Findley as a late sub. They played very compacted today trying to avoid giving up another goal after the first few minutes. You'll see them open it up a great deal against the next 2 teams who can't really compete with them physically. There will be chances aplenty, and like I said before, they'd better bury both of these teams.

Torres is a midfielder, no? I thought the 4th forward was Hercules Gomez, who was set to come on when the game ended. If Torres starts, you move Dempsey up front or go to a 4-5-1 set?

I think they should go with Altidore and Buddle and bring on Gomez late. Gomez is a figgin scoring machine.

Gomez not Torres, my bad. I can't understand what Bradley has against the guy. He's done nothing but pump in goals for the squad yet gets benched in favor inferior players with more speed. Though Torres should be seeing some action as well...

branchinator {l Wrote}:England threatened on the offensive end a lot more but the US could have won the game. However, the only reason why they got a draw was because they got incredibly lucky on that Dempsey goal. I think both England and the US should handle Algeria and Slovenia pretty easily and advance.

Obviously it was a fluke goal, but at the same time, the unquestioned weakness for the English was the keeper. So, while a goal THAT soft was a surprise, a soft goal was not. Stuff like that happens and it's a part of the game. :flagus
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Let's just say that if England is supposed to be much more talented than the US, and one of the contenders, then the US is a lot better than anyone thought. That was not one of those games where the weaker team just hung on - The US had much of the play in the English end, had several goal scoring chances that they didn't convert, and, most significantly, England threw the house at them in second half with three forwards, and didn't get much pressure.

Thought that with a few notable exceptions, including Cherundalo, Howard, Demerit and Altidore, the US effort was pretty mediocre. Despite that, they got a point.

I think the moral of the story is that the England side is overrated, and the Americans are very underrated. Those two teams were pretty closely matched to my eye.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:56 pm

I think US soccer has reached the point where it's capable of beating and competing with any team in the world, while also being capable of losing to most anyone. They're certainly an above average squad, with more depth than they've ever had before, but they still lack that stand out player who can create for them consistently (think Kaka, Messi, Ronaldo, etc). Everyone on the team is good not great and thus they'll always be vulnerable. It's fun to know that they'll always be competitive, but until they find a star player they'll never seriously contend for a World Cup. The ceiling for this group is the semi-finals.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby branchinator on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Let's just say that if England is supposed to be much more talented than the US, and one of the contenders, then the US is a lot better than anyone thought. That was not one of those games where the weaker team just hung on - The US had much of the play in the English end, had several goal scoring chances that they didn't convert, and, most significantly, England threw the house at them in second half with three forwards, and didn't get much pressure.

Thought that with a few notable exceptions, including Cherundalo, Howard, Demerit and Altidore, the US effort was pretty mediocre. Despite that, they got a point.

I think the moral of the story is that the England side is overrated, and the Americans are very underrated. Those two teams were pretty closely matched to my eye.

I think the England squad has better individual talent but the US team was a lot more cohesive, which certainly does count for something. However, up until the time I posted, England was controlling the game. In the 2nd half, the US looked every bit as good. Our goalie is a serious playmaker and could be the "X" factor in a lot of close games. That's a huge weakness that prevents England from being an elite team. They're the ND of soccer.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Is it just me or did the US-England game not live up to the “hype” surrounding it? :flagus
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:44 pm

All the incentive for the US to kick the crap out of both Solvenia and Algeria was on display this afternoon. Germany is a friggin monster, and if the US finishes 2nd in this group, that will be their match-up. So to avoid that potential doomsday scenario, they'd better not only win the next 2, they'd better win them large.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Anyone else tune in, hear the stupdid vuvuzelas and tune out 2 seconds later without even checking the score. My brain made me hit "last channel" before I realized what was going on.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:47 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Anyone else tune in, hear the stupdid vuvuzelas and tune out 2 seconds later without even checking the score. My brain made me hit "last channel" before I realized what was going on.

There have been some complaints from players and coaches, so they're considering banning them. I've gotten used to them on TV but I can't imagine how bad they are in person.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Anyone else tune in, hear the stupdid vuvuzelas and tune out 2 seconds later without even checking the score. My brain made me hit "last channel" before I realized what was going on.

There have been some complaints from players and coaches, so they're considering banning them. I've gotten used to them on TV but I can't imagine how bad they are in person.

I tune them out but I do notice them at times. I prefer the chants of ole and the collective moans from the fans but it is ridiculous. They wanted atmostphere and it sucks. I heard the TV channels are complaining and that they are actually loud enough to harm hearing, but FIFA doesnt want to de-Africaize the game. God forbid we want to enjoy the game.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:58 pm

We did this on the other thread.

I once had a huge sore on my Vuvu from a girl in Greenwich Village named Zelda, but that is another story. :roll:
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BC '00 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:03 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:All the incentive for the US to kick the crap out of both Solvenia and Algeria was on display this afternoon. Germany is a friggin monster, and if the US finishes 2nd in this group, that will be their match-up. So to avoid that potential doomsday scenario, they'd better not only win the next 2, they'd better win them large.

The most likely scenario is that both US and England win their next two games (far from in the bag for either, but most likely). So 1st place will be based on goal differential. The US went with a relatively defensive lineup against England because England's offense is so strong. I'd expect to see Ricardo Clark dumped for the next two games in favor of either Torres or Feilhaber (most likely Torres) since the US will put a premium on goals. Also, whichever out of Buddle, Gomez, and Findley is seen as strongest on the ball (probably Buddle) will play up top with Altidore. Findley's speed is important when you're playing a counterattacking game, but when you expect to control the action a little more, you want guys who can make more plays with the ball at their feet. Also, Slovenia plays a really defensive and compact style, so the US will probably end up firing a lot of crosses into the box, and Buddle has pretty good size.

I the England game, Tim Howard was an absolute stud. Cherundolo played well, Altidore played well, Donovan was pretty good, Dempsey was ok. Clark was terrible, DeMerit and Onyewu were shaky, Bocanegra was exposed as too slow, and Bradley/Findley were mediocre. Buddle did nothing after coming on. In general though, the US held the ball better than they normally do against top-flight teams, and were more dangerous on offense than they usually are. There were plenty of missed chances, including the spectacular play by Altidore. Promising game overall...
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:06 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:

I once had a huge sore on my Vuvu from a girl in Greenwich Village named Zelda, but that is another story. :roll:

I did it here 1st.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:

I did it here 1st.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:15 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:All the incentive for the US to kick the crap out of both Solvenia and Algeria was on display this afternoon. Germany is a friggin monster, and if the US finishes 2nd in this group, that will be their match-up. So to avoid that potential doomsday scenario, they'd better not only win the next 2, they'd better win them large.

Hate to say this, but the US just needs to focus on winning and advancing...as that has been too tall an order far too often.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:38 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Hate to say this, but the US just needs to focus on winning and advancing...as that has been too tall an order far too often.

Agreed. The US needs to advance to the elimination round. Anything else is gravy, in my opinion. There's no way in hell we win this tournament.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:03 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:

The most likely scenario is that both US and England win their next two games (far from in the bag for either, but most likely). So 1st place will be based on goal differential. The US went with a relatively defensive lineup against England because England's offense is so strong. I'd expect to see Ricardo Clark dumped for the next two games in favor of either Torres or Feilhaber (most likely Torres) since the US will put a premium on goals. Also, whichever out of Buddle, Gomez, and Findley is seen as strongest on the ball (probably Buddle) will play up top with Altidore. Findley's speed is important when you're playing a counterattacking game, but when you expect to control the action a little more, you want guys who can make more plays with the ball at their feet. Also, Slovenia plays a really defensive and compact style, so the US will probably end up firing a lot of crosses into the box, and Buddle has pretty good size.

I the England game, Tim Howard was an absolute stud. Cherundolo played well, Altidore played well, Donovan was pretty good, Dempsey was ok. Clark was terrible, DeMerit and Onyewu were shaky, Bocanegra was exposed as too slow, and Bradley/Findley were mediocre. Buddle did nothing after coming on. In general though, the US held the ball better than they normally do against top-flight teams, and were more dangerous on offense than they usually are. There were plenty of missed chances, including the spectacular play by Altidore. Promising game overall...

Agreed with '00. Howard was amazing in this game. Always in the right position, the goal that he gave up was one where there was nothing he could do about it.

It would be very nice to avoid Germany. Who knows, maybe we can win both and Slovenia can somehow hold on for a point against England. Or we may win on goal differential.

I wish Slovenia and Algeria would have tied the other day. It would have made things easier for us. Anyways, I still think we're in the driver's seat to advance, which would be a good accomplishment.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:15 am

Is there something in the water? What many have not mentioned here is that if not for Green's terrible play in net, the worst play by a goalie would belong to Algeria's keeper in the other group C game. Total "turtle up" play.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Is there something in the water? What many have not mentioned here is that if not for Green's terrible play in net, the worst play by a goalie would belong to Algeria's keeper in the other group C game. Total "turtle up" play.

Yeah I watched that live and forgot to mention it. He should have made that save. Not as bad as Green, but still awful.

The sad thing about Green's performance, though, was that you could sub just about any healthy person, male or female, with a modicum of coordination in for Green in that game and they probably would have let the same number of goals in. If I were in goal, I wouldn't have made that Altidore save, probably, but I would have made the one he missed.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:41 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:

I did it here 1st.

My apologies..we need to combine.

If you are a great defensive team and score first...the game is over..

That is why Soccer sucks cock.

When you turtle up on offense in football, your defesne gets tored and you get beat...SEE TOBlunders0-14 and Spazoo.

Soccer needs backboards and when they end these games in shootouts..that is sad shit.

That is why Soccer will never never never make it or has made it in the USA.

Its because Soccer SUCKS!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:48 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

I tune them out but I do notice them at times. I prefer the chants of ole and the collective moans from the fans but it is ridiculous. They wanted atmostphere and it sucks. I heard the TV channels are complaining and that they are actually loud enough to harm hearing, but FIFA doesnt want to de-Africaize the game. God forbid we want to enjoy the game.

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:52 am

I've gotten used to them. It just sounds like there's a swarm of insects over the game. I have some BC friends that are over there now. I want to ask them what it's like in person.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:53 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:

Very good post, but Demerit played well. Was he not marking Rooney?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC '00 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:

Very good post, but Demerit played well. Was he not marking Rooney?

He did most of the work on Rooney, and deserves a lot of credit for that. Clark also shared in that responsibility, which he deserves some credit for. But DeMerit was exposed a couple times, his positioning was questionable other times, and he did nothing in the air. He and Onyewu were a mixed bag overall...there were far too many "blown assignments" and too many chances for England.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:31 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I've gotten used to them. It just sounds like there's a swarm of insects over the game. I have some BC friends that are over there now. I want to ask them what it's like in person.

And the answer:

me: what are the horns like in person?
BC Guy: loud as fucking shit
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:31 pm

Italia almost got their ass handed to them in what should be an “easy” group. Italy will have an uphill battle if Buffon is injured…I’m pulling for Italy to repeat but after game 1 meh
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:08 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:Italia almost got their ass handed to them in what should be an “easy” group. Italy will have an uphill battle if Buffon is injured…I’m pulling for Italy to repeat but after game 1 meh

They alsways come out slow, but they gave up half their defensive alotment for the whole tourney today.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:30 am

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:Italia almost got their ass handed to them in what should be an “easy” group. Italy will have an uphill battle if Buffon is injured…I’m pulling for Italy to repeat but after game 1 meh

Wait, you're pulling for Italy to win the World Cup? Like most Americans, I'm pulling for the US, commie.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:34 am

Watching the Portugal and Ivory Coast game...even though there is no score, it's a good game. I hope Ivory Coast wins. Rinaldo = big annoying fake diver

BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:43 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:Watching the Portugal and Ivory Coast game...even though there is no score, it's a good game. I hope Ivory Coast wins. Rinaldo = big annoying fake diver

i hope he doesn't hit your car

That was funny :lol:
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:07 am

Dee-

Did you get that little English soccer girl uni I sent?

You need to post up that picture....

:lame :lol: :roll: :pontif

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field