strasburg

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

strasburg

Postby Eagledom on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:57 pm

14 Ks thru 7 innings....some of these pitches are just overpowering batters, some buckling their knees. This kid looks damn good.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Re: strasburg

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 pm

He does look like he knows what he is doing out there. It will be interesting to see what he does against a major league team. Maybe we will get a chance to see in interleague.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:10 pm

This is where cheapness and the impact this kid would had made with 12 early starts could burn the Nats ass in the end if they come up a few games short for the playoffs.

You already paid him $50M and you want to make sure he does not get another year of arbitration --so you wait until June 8th--for his first start?

The hanging curve was a great lesson...go with your best.

This kid knows more about pitching now than Nolan Ryan did ever.

Leave him be he is a genius and changed speed and location.

Then again Vin Scully said it best...been doing games since 1951 or earlier??? YIKES---there are at least 100+ or 4 teams out there that have Triple A talent...

5.5 GAMES BEHIND.....

Was it worth the one year arbitration hearing by the brainless GNATS?

12 MISSED STARTS......Time will tell...

Possible 11 home playoff games of REVENUE!!! and at least get into the tournamnet and add Oswalt or a bat???

IDIOTS! Absolute fucking idiots.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:08 am

I wonder when he gets promoted to the AL.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:16 am

I feel like guys who make this kind of debut (overpoweringly good, big Ks, young age) never last. Is that true or is this just Dusty Baker's fault I have this impression?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:35 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:I wonder when he gets promoted to the AL.

Winner...6 years since his 12 lost starts saved 1 year.

:bowdown

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:52 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I feel like guys who make this kind of debut (overpoweringly good, big Ks, young age) never last. Is that true or is this just Dusty Baker's fault I have this impression?

Actually, I too was thinking that Strasburg reminded me of Mark Prior when he first came out. It looks like Washington is going to play it safe with him, unlike Dusty Baker who was forcing Prior to throw 120+ in like every single start.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:16 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I feel like guys who make this kind of debut (overpoweringly good, big Ks, young age) never last. Is that true or is this just Dusty Baker's fault I have this impression?

Actually, I too was thinking that Strasburg reminded me of Mark Prior when he first came out. It looks like Washington is going to play it safe with him, unlike Dusty Baker who was forcing Prior to throw 120+ in like every single start.

Prior had an odd delivery and people pretty much knew he was going to have arm problems.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:

Prior had an odd delivery and people pretty much knew he was going to have arm problems.

And even if they didn't they told you that they did after the fact.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:

Judging from this statement you heard Kurkjian (or Gammons whoever it was) say that he was going to only be a 600 inning pitcher. I mean, yeah, hindsight is 20/20 and people may take this with a grain of salt, but he said those people who had those concerns have no concerns with Strasburg.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:01 pm

People knew Prior's arm was going to get blown out because he was on the Cubs.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:People knew Prior's arm was going to get blown out because he was on the Cubs.

Mets golden arm Tim Leary pitching in the cold his first start at the Cubs in April.

We all said that was stupid..next day....ruined.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:48 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:

Just as many "experts" said he had perfect mechanics. I heard that many times during the 2 year period I couldn't believe the Yankees blew their chance with Prior. If given the choice I would take the total nothingness that was Pavano's NYY tenure over the enraging frustration from Prior career.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:47 am

The test is not the first start against a terrible team when no one has full scouting reports on you nor have seen tendencies, patterns, tells, etc. I was blown away by his debut, but for him to be a stud, things have to be kept in perspective. Now the name of the game is being consistent, being able to adapt when necessary, and staying healthy.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:24 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:The test is not the first start against a terrible team when no one has full scouting reports on you nor have seen tendencies, patterns, tells, etc. I was blown away by his debut, but for him to be a stud, things have to be kept in perspective. Now the name of the game is being consistent, being able to adapt when necessary, and staying healthy.

Yeah, the first start he's going to have a natural advantage. He did adapt some in this game, realizing he didn't have to mix in the change, his weakest pitch, because his other stuff was overpowering my pirates. Health and developing the change are going to be the things I'm watching for.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:33 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:

Judging from this statement you heard Kurkjian (or Gammons whoever it was) say that he was going to only be a 600 inning pitcher. I mean, yeah, hindsight is 20/20 and people may take this with a grain of salt, but he said those people who had those concerns have no concerns with Strasburg.

I don't know what gammons or kurkjian said. I am a cubs fan an watched prior pitch...
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:46 am

Prior, Wood, Sosa were all juiced. Their muscles outgrew their ligaments, tendons, and bone. That's when you start getting hurt.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Return to Shea Field