Our Pitching is Awful

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Our Pitching is Awful

Postby Dirtywater on Tue May 11, 2010 5:44 am

Let's face it - we have no business being in the NCAA tourney and the last three losses have probably sealed that. Its a shame that our pitching quality did not nearly come close to the hitting quality. Akoi needs to focus on this more during the recruiting process. You gotta have at least two dependable starters and we had one.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Re: Our Pitching is Awful

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Agreed, when you have 2 pitchers w a sub 6 ERA it's a bad sign.

Many have shown potential, Dennhardt was able to put back to back solid ACC starts but has been very inconsistent.

Edit: didn't see how they sorted stats. But Dean is the only big time pitcher and Moran has regressed.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dirtywater on Wed May 19, 2010 8:49 am

We gave up 17 runs to Saint Johns. I think Dennhardt was responsible for 9. WTF is going on? I can't tell who has primary responsibility for coaching the pitchers. Shit - we managed to score 9 runs here and we still lose because of high school pitching. We are an ACC program and we need to expect more from Akoi. One more season like this and I would give Englert the job and set some expectations. Englert has a very good rep from the Cape League and deserves a shot (unless I find out he coached the pitchers).
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Thu May 20, 2010 2:40 pm

GT put up 13 today and they still have several more innings to go.

Pitching is and was the big problem with this team. They don't deserve to make the NCAA's with a team ERA well over six and a half (it wasn't before the game started but it is now), and they won't.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Dirtywater on Thu May 20, 2010 6:55 pm

Final score was 15-8. I was there and left due to boredom when it was 13-2. We score 8 runs and still get blown out. Grant it - GT is a great team (ranked sixth) but we have usually gotten up for the better teams. Unless we score close to 20 runs we don't have a chance. Dean looked like he put quaaludes on his pancakes this morning. The other two guys I saw looked out of condition and could only throw bricks with very little movement. Our pitchers (other than Dean when he is awake) should be playing at the Bentley or Quinnipiac level. The rest of the team should not be so sportsmanlike to their pitchers when they come off after throwing like shit. I wish a few of them had a little Billy Martin in them as the team looks a little detached. Let's hope they were embarrassed enough to be more competitive tomorrow.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 20, 2010 7:30 pm

The sad thing is that Pat Dean is really hurting his draft prospects. How he pitches against good teams down the stretch is pretty important.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Thu May 20, 2010 10:13 pm

I haven't seen the updated stats yet but these 32 ER in the last 2 games has likely put BC's team ERA at second-worst in the ACC. I know that it's about 2 runs higher than last year which is just awful. It's a minor miracle that BC has won 28 games with a pitching staff this bad.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Fri May 28, 2010 7:17 am

Unbelievable win against the Canes yesterday. One of the best baseball games you could ever hope to see. Major and I mean MAJOR heart shown by our Eagles. Kind of typical for the season - our relief pitcher comes in with a lead and gives up a grand slam. Our hitting line up just never quit and Lawrence was phenomenal. God - if we had decent pitching we would be a top ten team easily. Our batting is that good. Come on BC pitchers - you owe this team - time to show some heart vs FSU!!!
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Fri May 28, 2010 11:29 am

With yesterday's win they might make the NCAAs in spite of their pitching (particularly the bullpen). It really is pretty improbable.

The above poster has the right idea -- maybe not a top 10 team, but with pitching as good as they had last year BC would be ranked.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Fri May 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Got blown out by FSU 12-2. Good grief - Leonard gives up 6 runs on 9 hits in first two innings. Kowalski comes on and throws his usual bricks and gives up 5 runs on 4 hits over the next three. That had to be demoralizing to the rest of the team. Just a shit poor effort by the pitching staff in a crucial game. I don't know if its a lack of good coaching or just bad recruiting or both - but Akoi needs to make this a top priority. We need guys who love to pitch as much as the rest of our guys love to hit. Except for Dean - we look very ill at ease on the mound.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Sat May 29, 2010 7:32 am

A sucky way to end the season but hats off to Anston, Wiswall, Spatola, Melchionda, Zapenas, Watson, Sudol, Lawrence, Smith and Hamlet. You guys are highly capable baseball players and can hang with anybody. You made us all very proud. Special kudos to seniors Anston, Sudol and Spatola for their grit and leadership. For the non seniors - put your heads together and see what can be done to improve the pitching staff in the off season. Pitching truly beats good hitting every time and we will never get anywhere as a team until we have 3-4 guys with a mix of athleticism, smarts, confidence and intensity who want the ball in their hands.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby Dirtywater on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 am

I see we made great strides since last year. We held Central Florida yesterday to less than 20 runs.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby weinerdog on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Dirtywater {l Wrote}:I see we made great strides since last year. We held Central Florida yesterday to less than 20 runs.

Hold on there, Chicken Little. Last year through 11 (official) games, we'd given up 95 runs. This year, that's 66 runs--against tougher competition. Until that UCF 18-0 debacle (what's with game #11? Last year we lost 18-14 to Fla Atlantic in game #11), we were giving up fewer than 5 a game. That signifies BY FAR the best start in pitching we've seen since joining the ACC--including the 2009 staff that ultimately went toe-to-toe with Texas. And, again, we've played tougher competition this year. Every team we've lost to is ranked or getting votes.

We always have a couple of these pitching meltdowns early. I'd be more concerned about the hitting. But I'm not throwing in the towel on any of these guys yet. I'm actually pretty encouraged.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:19 pm

weinerdog {l Wrote}:
Dirtywater {l Wrote}:I see we made great strides since last year. We held Central Florida yesterday to less than 20 runs.

Hold on there, Chicken Little. Last year through 11 (official) games, we'd given up 95 runs. This year, that's 66 runs--against tougher competition. Until that UCF 18-0 debacle (what's with game #11? Last year we lost 18-14 to Fla Atlantic in game #11), we were giving up fewer than 5 a game. That signifies BY FAR the best start in pitching we've seen since joining the ACC--including the 2009 staff that ultimately went toe-to-toe with Texas. And, again, we've played tougher competition this year. Every team we've lost to is ranked or getting votes.

We always have a couple of these pitching meltdowns early. I'd be more concerned about the hitting. But I'm not throwing in the towel on any of these guys yet. I'm actually pretty encouraged.

In short, we'll learn a lot this weekend.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Wow so is our hitting.

We are very weak at the bottom of the order and looked sad vs. FSU late.

3-3 bottom of the 7th and the babes all over suntanning.

BC's new unis are very cool.

Our SS ahs some great range and soft hands.

We need a rally.

I get Baseball and no Hockey. WTF?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Left bases loaded. Twice.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Left bases loaded. Twice.

Thanks. Like I needed another twitch and stroke from a 7 hour and 15 minute deal where we were last team up in the regional and had bases loaded 4X and LESS THAN 1 OUT and could not make contact?

Hello Austin.

I did get to meet the 2009 Valedictorian and his Mom and my daughter bought a $22.00 Texas hat at 12:30 AM when they re-opened the consessions and then she told me >>>>> BC sucked and I was laughed at by hundreds.

My ass is still sore. Lucky me. New bats now limit the long ball, did not know that! Our starter received rave reviews for 6 innings. Typical BC sports problem --40 years and all sports except hockey.

Former BC player now at FSU was the hero. Just got a shaving cream faxcial.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Return to Shea Field