AL East Regular Season Thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: AL East Regular Season Thread

Postby commavegarage on Mon May 17, 2010 10:09 pm

hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon May 17, 2010 10:21 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:WTF was Poopelbombs split finger or off speed pitches?

2 HR's and 2 long outs???

Guys can time a 747???

Papelbon hasn't had a secondary pitch since 2007. Every Yankee was sitting dead red. In the past, he could get away with it. Not anymore. Feel bad for whoever gives him his next contract.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue May 18, 2010 10:19 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:

Guys can time a 747???

Papelbon hasn't had a secondary pitch since 2007. Every Yankee was sitting dead red. In the past, he could get away with it. Not anymore. Feel bad for whoever gives him his next contract.

It has nothing to do with his velocity or lack of secondary pitches. It has everything to do with his complete inability to locate a fastball. The fastball still has great movement, but unfortunately that one to ARod last night literally moved right back over the middle of the plate. Same thing with the second HR. Both fastballs were supposed to be inside and moved right back over the middle. It works that way with any pitcher, ask Daniel Bard or Craig Hansen who both throw over 100 MPH.

It's one blown save, Papelbon will be fine. Getting Cameron/Ellsbury back will help also. This team still has a lot of good baseball ahead of it. It just won't be happening tonight probably with Beckett on the mound in Yankee Stadium.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 18, 2010 11:40 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:

Guys can time a 747???

It has nothing to do with his velocity or lack of secondary pitches. It has everything to do with his complete inability to locate a fastball. The fastball still has great movement, but unfortunately that one to ARod last night literally moved right back over the middle of the plate. Same thing with the second HR. Both fastballs were supposed to be inside and moved right back over the middle. It works that way with any pitcher, ask Daniel Bard or Craig Hansen who both throw over 100 MPH.

It's one blown save, Papelbon will be fine. Getting Cameron/Ellsbury back will help also. This team still has a lot of good baseball ahead of it. It just won't be happening tonight probably with Beckett on the mound in Yankee Stadium.

Not sure I would put Craig Hansen and Daniel Bard in the same category. Bard's control issues are a thing of the past.

Papelbon's problem is that he has days where he is up in the zone. His fastball doesn't have anywhere near the life or movement of Bard, and he simply can't work up there. When he is down in the zone, he is unhittable. And he does have a secondary pitch - he has been using the splitter to get outs this year.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue May 18, 2010 9:13 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Red Sox are muerto.

Tampa Bay has matured.

Better make a trade Theo, but even then, its too late.

MUERTO.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue May 18, 2010 11:27 pm

Nice pitching, Joba. Once a baby maker, always a baby maker.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu May 20, 2010 1:18 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Nice pitching, Joba. Once a baby maker, always a baby maker.

Possibly my least favorite player in sports.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 25, 2010 9:17 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Call me when Ortiz ends up with 30 dongs and 100 RBI like he did last year when everyone said the same shit that they are saying now. He ain't the David Ortiz of old, but reports of his demise are grotesquely premature.

The Red Sox through 2 weeks have gotten bad performances from 3 top pitchers, no timely hitting whatsoever, and have played the worst defense in major league baseball history. None of those three things will continue.

That said, they still need a bat. Just one for this season, really, although they need to start thinking about 2-3 young bats for next year and beyond. Their pitching is set for a long time to come.

I don't think he gets there, but I was admittedly having a bit of fun with him. I'd put over/under at 24.5 HR, 85 rbi.

I'd just like to hear from all the people that assured me on page 1 of this thread that Ortiz was done. I think I will put commave's quote in my signature.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue May 25, 2010 10:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Call me when Ortiz ends up with 30 dongs and 100 RBI like he did last year when everyone said the same shit that they are saying now. He ain't the David Ortiz of old, but reports of his demise are grotesquely premature.

The Red Sox through 2 weeks have gotten bad performances from 3 top pitchers, no timely hitting whatsoever, and have played the worst defense in major league baseball history. None of those three things will continue.

That said, they still need a bat. Just one for this season, really, although they need to start thinking about 2-3 young bats for next year and beyond. Their pitching is set for a long time to come.

I don't think he gets there, but I was admittedly having a bit of fun with him. I'd put over/under at 24.5 HR, 85 rbi.

I'd just like to hear from all the people that assured me on page 1 of this thread that Ortiz was done. I think I will put commave's quote in my signature.

Good. Because I stick by what I said 100%. He had to go on a hot streak to get his average back into the .250's. The only good thing about Ortiz is his walkup music.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 25, 2010 10:14 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

Good. Because I stick by what I said 100%. He had to go on a hot streak to get his average back into the .250's. The only good thing about Ortiz is his walkup music.

He's at .258 with 9 dongs and 25 RBI just past the quarter pole of the season. More importantly, he looks good at the plate and is hammering the inside fastball, his weakness. Like I said, .275, 30 dongs and 90+ RBI, assuming no significant injuries, like pulling something on his 30 second HR trots.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Wed May 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Mark Teixeira
AVG: .207
OBP: .324
SLG: .374
HR: 7
RBI: 30

David Ortiz
AVG: .258
OBP: .328
SLG: .550
HR: 9
RBI: 25
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 26, 2010 4:22 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Mark Teixeira

David Ortiz

Is there a point to this?

Not a Yankees fan. (See my World Series predictions)
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed May 26, 2010 5:24 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

David Ortiz

Yes. That it's possible for players to start out sucky and not actually suck. Just like Ortiz did last year.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 26, 2010 5:45 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

David Ortiz

Yes. That it's possible for players to start out sucky and not actually suck. Just like Ortiz did last year.

He batted .238 last year. That sucks.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 26, 2010 6:15 pm

The Teixiera example doesn't work for me. Ortiz won't have similar numbers at the end of the season.

That said, saying he sucked because he hit .238 is dumb.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Wed May 26, 2010 7:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Teixiera example doesn't work for me. Ortiz won't have similar numbers at the end of the season.

Was only implying that 2 months doesn't tell the whole story. I gave Teix as an example because he always starts slow and finishes with good numbers. And I bet that Ortiz and Teix will have similar power numbers at the end of the season. Papi is out-slugging him by a huge margin right now.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 26, 2010 7:56 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Teixiera example doesn't work for me. Ortiz won't have similar numbers at the end of the season.

Was only implying that 2 months doesn't tell the whole story. I gave Teix as an example because he always starts slow and finishes with good numbers. And I bet that Ortiz and Teix will have similar power numbers at the end of the season. Papi is out-slugging him by a huge margin right now.

First off, I think I understand what you are trying to do, but to compare him to Tex is dumb. Tex plays defense and does so very well.

I haven't based my opinion of Ortiz on one month. His whole season last year told the story. He's limited to playing DH so it doesn't allow other players to take time off, his numbers have gotten progressively worse the past 3 years, he's a liability on the basepaths, his OBP is not good, he's not hitting that many homeruns, his average with RISP is way too low. Any realistic Sox fan knows they would be better off without him because it would allow them to bring in a good 1B, move Youk to 3B and allow these players who have to play everyday to get some rest by playing DH.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Right on cue, Papi just hammered a 2-2 94 mph fastball up and in about 430 feet. 10 HRs and 27 RBI. Right after that other stiff you guys told me about, Beltre, upped his average to .333 by hammering HRs 4 and 5 and driving in his 28, 29, 30 and 31 RBI.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 26, 2010 8:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Right on cue, Papi just hammered a 2-2 94 mph fastball up and in about 430 feet. 10 HRs and 27 RBI. Right after that other stiff you guys told me about, Beltre, upped his average to .333 by hammering HRs 4 and 5 and driving in his 28, 29, 30 and 31 RBI.

Surprised you're watching that while the Eastern Conference Finals are on, since, you know, you hammered me for watching a Sox Yankees game while the Celtics were playing in the Eastern Conference Semis.

Great for Papi. Because, as we all know, if you hit a homerun when you are being talked about you are going to get back to your 2006 form.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 26, 2010 8:19 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Right on cue, Papi just hammered a 2-2 94 mph fastball up and in about 430 feet. 10 HRs and 27 RBI. Right after that other stiff you guys told me about, Beltre, upped his average to .333 by hammering HRs 4 and 5 and driving in his 28, 29, 30 and 31 RBI.

Surprised you're watching that while the Eastern Conference Finals are on, since, you know, you hammered me for watching a Sox Yankees game while the Celtics were playing in the Eastern Conference Semis.

Great for Papi. Because, as we all know, if you hit a homerun when you are being talked about you are going to get back to your 2006 form.

I am watching the playoffs. The Papi HR happened two innings ago, and I happened to catch a replay in a commercial.

And reread the thread. No one said he would return to form. I even said, no one expects him to do what he did with Manny behind him.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed May 26, 2010 8:19 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

CAG, clearly not familiar with the concept of channel surfing or having multiple TVs.

I'm watching both.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 26, 2010 8:22 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

CAG, clearly not familiar with the concept of channel surfing or having multiple TVs.

I'm watching both.

No I am. I'm actually watching the Mets and the NBA game inbetween innings. Had to point out the irony that he's watching some "meaningless" May game and missing out on the Eastern Conference finals after ripping on me for doing the exact same thing.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 26, 2010 8:27 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

I'm watching both.

No I am. I'm actually watching the Mets and the NBA game inbetween innings. Had to point out the irony that he's watching some "meaningless" May game and missing out on the Eastern Conference finals after ripping on me for doing the exact same thing.

Yeah, not doing that. Saw the three HRs on replay. Didn't even get home until the opening tip of the hoop.

And the conversation was about you crapping on Sox fans for checking Celtics and Broons playoff scores. You were ripping on them. I would rip on them for bothering to go.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 26, 2010 8:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

I'm watching both.

Yeah, not doing that. Saw the three HRs on replay. Didn't even get home until the opening tip of the hoop.

And the conversation was about you crapping on Sox fans for checking Celtics and Broons playoff scores. You were ripping on them. I would rip on them for bothering to go.

I wasn't ripping on them for checking the scores.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 26, 2010 8:51 pm

Fair enough. Nick Swisher just hit a bomb. Happened while Perkins was getting T'd up.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Wed May 26, 2010 9:10 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:

First off, I think I understand what you are trying to do, but to compare him to Tex is dumb. Tex plays defense and does so very well.

I haven't based my opinion of Ortiz on one month. His whole season last year told the story. He's limited to playing DH so it doesn't allow other players to take time off, his numbers have gotten progressively worse the past 3 years, he's a liability on the basepaths, his OBP is not good, he's not hitting that many homeruns, his average with RISP is way too low. Any realistic Sox fan knows they would be better off without him because it would allow them to bring in a good 1B, move Youk to 3B and allow these players who have to play everyday to get some rest by playing DH.

Who gives a shit about defense? I'm talking about offense. Papi's OPS is now .911, which places him in the top 25 in the entire MLB. He doesn't suck.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 26, 2010 9:11 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:

Who gives a shit about defense? I'm talking about offense. Papi's OPS is now .911, which places him in the top 25 in the entire MLB. He doesn't suck.

I thought 2 months doesn't tell the whole story?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed May 26, 2010 9:21 pm

No, it doesn't. His OPS last year was a shade below .800. And he had 28 homers and 99 RBI's for the season. Not the player he once was but not sucky either.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu May 27, 2010 6:57 pm

So are the Sox still dead after winning 9 out of 10, sweeping the Rays and taking 2 out of 3 against Philly?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:23 am

Ortiz is now first in the AL in OPS among DHs with 150 or more PAs. If he qualified, he'd be top ten in the Majors in Slugging Percentage.

But he has kind of a low average. Ergo he's done.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field