AL East Regular Season Thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: AL East Regular Season Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:44 pm

I take that back. Watching Bill Hall hit a majestic friggin bomb makes me happy too. What's that now, 17?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I take that back. Watching Bill Hall hit a majestic friggin bomb makes me happy too. What's that now, 17?

You do know that his power was not what I contested, right?

Sorry to interrupt...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:30 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I take that back. Watching Bill Hall hit a majestic friggin bomb makes me happy too. What's that now, 17?

Sorry to interrupt...

Yeah, I know. I just said he would hit a little bit. Never contested that .240 is mediocre, but .240 with 17 bombs is pretty good.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Sorry to interrupt...

Yeah, I know. I just said he would hit a little bit. Never contested that .240 is mediocre, but .240 with 17 bombs is pretty good.

For a backup, yes. Just wondered why you keep bringing it up.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:43 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Sorry to interrupt...

.240 with 17 bombs is pretty good at second base, even for a starter. And I am merely monitoring the dispute of whether he would "hit a little bit" while he was filling in, as I am monitoring the dispute of whether David Ortiz was "done" from prior to the season.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:44 pm

Oh, and that reminds me, Ortiz is up to 27 dongs.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Sorry to interrupt...

.240 with 17 bombs is pretty good at second base, even for a starter. And I am merely monitoring the dispute of whether he would "hit a little bit" while he was filling in, as I am monitoring the dispute of whether David Ortiz was "done" from prior to the season.

FWIW he's played 47 games in the OF and 40 at 2B. Still doesn't get on base a ton and his defense is pretty brutal though. Regardless, as I said earlier in the thread, he is what he is.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Sorry to interrupt...

"a little bit"? great revision tedski. No need to lie because it's really not all that important to begin with.

btw - "monitoring disputes" is the coolest.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}: Hall is a terrible defensive player, but he will hit.

Oh Jesus. :81

He's a career .250 hitter with power at second base. He's also a dead pull hitter playing in Fenway. If you were retarded enough to think my point was that he could replace Pedroia, I don't know what to tell you. My point was actually that: (a) Hall will hit a little and (b) the Red Sox lineup has been scoring enough runs to survive the loss of Pedroia.

This was the dispute, I believe.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

He's a career .250 hitter with power at second base. He's also a dead pull hitter playing in Fenway. If you were retarded enough to think my point was that he could replace Pedroia, I don't know what to tell you. My point was actually that: (a) Hall will hit a little and (b) the Red Sox lineup has been scoring enough runs to survive the loss of Pedroia.

Exactly - you backed down from "will hit" to "will hit a little" as soon as I posted. Now we're really getting somewhere. Keep bringing it up though teddy, it's really worth it to track...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:46 pm

The Red Sox have reportedly claimed Johnny Damon on waivers. Now, the question is whether the Red Sox are genuinely interested in trying to make a trade for him, or if they're just attempting to prevent another AL team from claiming him.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:44 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Exactly - you backed down from "will hit" to "will hit a little" as soon as I posted. Now we're really getting somewhere. Keep bringing it up though teddy, it's really worth it to track...

You are always up to semantics.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

You are always up to semantics.

You are always up for monitoring disuptes. :irr
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby footer20 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:04 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Here's the monthly comparison of Papi/Teixeira

Papi
AVG: .258
OBP: .370
SLG: .535
OPS: .905
HR: 22
RBI: 71

Teixeira
AVG: .256
SLG: .476
OPS: .846
HR: 21
RBI: 74

It's almost a dead heat now but Papi gets the advantage due to his superior slugging. Not bad for a player who sucks.

Tex should get it because he is the best fielding first baseman in the league. So many times this year has he taken away extra bases or saved ARod at first. Even when he is not hitting as well as accustomed to, he still is worth the money. And he isnt hitting that poorly.

Ortiz has had a monster month HR wise since then so maybe its different but there is no way Ortiz is as good as Tex, not at this stage of his career
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:20 am

If Teixeira is a better fielder than Ortiz, then why has he committed 3 fielding errors this season while Ortiz hasn't committed a single one? That's what I thought.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby footer20 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:21 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:Here's the monthly comparison of Papi/Teixeira

Papi
AVG: .258
SLG: .535
OPS: .905
HR: 22
RBI: 71

Teixeira
AVG: .256
SLG: .476
OPS: .846
HR: 21
RBI: 74

It's almost a dead heat now but Papi gets the advantage due to his superior slugging. Not bad for a player who sucks.

Tex should get it because he is the best fielding first baseman in the league. So many times this year has he taken away extra bases or saved ARod at first. Even when he is not hitting as well as accustomed to, he still is worth the money. And he isnt hitting that poorly.

Ortiz has had a monster month HR wise since then so maybe its different but there is no way Ortiz is as good as Tex, not at this stage of his career

this post is a set-up, right? do you like it when teddy says "dongs"

Yeah, i kind of enjoyed it. Im not a Yankess fan but i like Tex. i dont like any other Yankees but I respect Jeter and Rivera. Huge Sox fan and big Ortiz fan, though
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:22 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:It had to be done. I know we have at least a few Oriole fans on here, so maybe that will district from inevitable NYY-Sox blood bath that will ensue.

2 weeks into the season and the Sox look like crap. Forget starting 4-9, they are 1-6 at home. No need to panic, but a terrible start to the season that plays upon the anticipated pre-season fears of the team (no clutch hitting, poor relief pitching, Ortiz) with some shaky performances from perceived pre-season strengths (defense, starting pitching, Victor Martinez, Youkilis). In a month, this could be a bad memory, but given the likelihood that this is a 3 horse race for 2 spots, it's a terrible way to open the season.

The Rays are playing like world beaters. Their pitching has been fantastic and their bats explosive (with the notable exception of Burrell). The offensive x-factor (Upton), has been superb. Price and Neimann have impressed.

The Yankees are playing above even their own expectations, with the starting rotation leading the way. Despite very little production from Rodriguez and Tex, they are steamrolling the competition. As piss poor as Vazquez has been (answer: Steve Trout-level bad), if the team were 5-5 the heat would be significantly worse.

I haven't seen enough of the birds to speak about those two squads.

When I started this thread on April 19, the Red Sox were 6 games behind the Rays and 5.5 (6 in the loss) behind the Yankees. 118 games later and they are exactly one game worse (7 games back). I know that all games in between are the reason they aren't ahead, and not the first 13 (I believe they got as close as a half-game away), but it's still worth noting.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:59 pm

Noted. And congratulations on obtaining the ability to give oneself head.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Noted. And congratulations on obtaining the ability to give oneself head.

Hey, it's an impressive gift. And for your troubles:

EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Previous

Return to Shea Field